“FANTABULOUS!!!!!”

Hotel Palmas de Cortez
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Los Barriles
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This hotel is a diamond in the rough! The town of Los Barriles, Mexico is small, but quaint. Lots of small restaurants with food just out of this world! Got to go to Charlie's Chocolates, Marcois (sic) for the large prawns!! OMG to die for!!!!, Tio Pablo specials are the best to be found around. Never ate so good!! we stayed in a cabana, which I think is the only way to go! We will be going back. It is about an hour outside of cabo and has lots to do if you choose to kitesurf, sailsurf, snorkel, scuba dive, fishing, quading on the beach, seadoos, kayaking, paddle board, or just plain swim in the ocean, pools, or sit in the hit tub, or walk miles on the beach! My best trip yet to Mexico!!!!.

Room Tip: Love the cabana!!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Candy M

Reviewed November 26, 2013

This was my first trip to the East Cape. I have fished many times in the area but always based out of La Paz or Cabo San Lucas. On my last trip (to La Paz) I was able to talk my wife into going and although she enjoyed herself, she really was out of her element. I will not hesitate to take her to the Hotel Palmas de Cortez for my next fishing adventure! Not only are the fishing boats and captains first rate, the resort includes great restaurants, bars, a beautiful (clean) beach and a great Spa as well. While I catch Dorado, Marlin, Rooster Fish, Tuna and Wahoo, my wife can be pampered by a body scrub and massage one day and a mani-pedi the next. Truly heaven for both of us! My new favorite place!! Tip to fishermen: There is an excellent local smoke house that for a very affordable rate will smoke and vacuum pack your fish for you to bring home. Smoked Marlin is amazing!! (always release if possible though)

Room Tip: My room (#25) was 5 steps from the sand and 12 steps from the pool and a couple more to the beachsid...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Thom C
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This was my 2nd annual visit to Hotel Palmas de Cortez and it was just great during the month of October (2013). Weather was real comfortable as opposed to July of 2012. The resort is just great in terms of what is offered. There is meal packages offered as I was on a 3 days fishing excursion. Hot breakfast and dinner were provided with sack lunch when I went out to fish. Very comfortable resort with pool and easy access to the fishing vessels. I have already booked for 2014.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is a beautiful resort with an ideal location for the fleet of fishing vessels this resort offers. My husband and I do not fish, but thoroughly enjoyed this resort anyway. The beautiful, nearly wave-free beach and crystal clear water provided for some good snorkeling and a short drive/boat ride away was a great reef with some of the best snorkeling we've ever done. The pools are nice and well-maintained, the rooms were clean and good sized, and the restaurant had some delicious offerings (we did the meal plan to avoid the hassle of having to decide where to go for meals, but we heard there were some good restaurants in the small town too). We would definitely stay here again - it provided a very relaxing, stress free vacation.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy R
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Just back from our seventh annual visit - and we just love it a bit more each time. The location is one of the great paradoxes - less than an hour from the Los Cabos International Airport, yet completely unspoiled (unlike Cabo San Lucas, with is, in our opinion, ruined).

If you are a fisherman, this is heaven. A large fleet of excellent fishing boats, a well-run program, and some of the best fishing in the world. If you aren't a fisherman, the quiet town and magnificent beach, along with a wonderful staff, make this a very relaxing location.

The good news is that during the day, the place is almost deserted, as most of the guests go fishing. The less good news is that between 4:00PM and 7:00PM the same fishermen get settled at the bar, and the fishing stories get - let me be charitable - louder.

But everyone is having a good time, so the mood is very upbeat, and it's hard not to get involved in the fun that is being had.

Many guests swim in the (excellent) pool, and miss one of the best things about this hotel. This is one of the best swimming beaches in the world. The sand is almost white, the water temperature (at least when we are there in September and October) is perfect, the water is crystal-clear and the beach angles in at a perfect angle. Not too steep, and not too shallow.

We've swum there most days of every visit, and each swim is a special gift. As far as we can tell, there are no "nasties" in the water here, so it's very comfortable and safe.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tony F
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed six nights and enjoyed this hotel a lot even though I am not a fisherman. We came to Los Barriles to find a good location for East Cape diving after being disappointed with Cabo San Lucas a few years back.

The room was newer and in better shape than most non-luxury Mexican hotel rooms (we were in room 41, upstairs, not directly over the pool but with a direct view of the dock). The bathroom was modern, clean, big shower, nice stone counters and tile. No issues with water temp or pressure. The patio was spacious, shaded, great view of the beach and we enjoyed watching the workings of the fishing boat preparations each day. The pool was lovely but once the fishing boats returned it was crowded and pretty loud so get your relaxing swims in while the boats are out if you can.

Downsides (for the non-fishermen): Two double beds in all the rooms, one of which had spring issues making it so noisy and bumpy it was almost comical. The fridge was great to have but made a lot of noise and was right next to the "good" bed. AC set up made temperature control difficult (too hot or too cold at night). Odd tv issues (satellite channels come and go, very few English channels) and no wifi in rooms like advertising promises -- only in the lobby area. Upsides: Great location near town but mostly on th e each which is beautiful, swimable, nearly empty all the time, and one of the most enjoyable beaches I've ever been on. Clean, clean, clean rooms and lovely, courteous staff. On-site diving that has a good boat, goes to Cabo Pulmo regularly, and does three tanks for a good price.

Room Tip: Upper floor pool/ocean view seem very nice. Pool/garden rooms near lobby seem older and a little dar...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Well I don't know if this place is really a secret, and I almost don't want to say to many good things about it in fear that to many people will start coming here. This place is nothing like Cabo and that's a good thing. No snobby tourist with there nose in the air. I have been to Palmas de Cortez 3 times and on my way for the fourth next week. The people of this little town are the nicest people I have ever met. For instance I was fishing off the boat dock and some of the local kids were fishing to. I apparently dropped a twenty dollar bill and it went into the water. I dint even know until this soaking wet kid handed it back to me of course I handed it right back. Theses kids were so exited. They gave me some tips and I caught the biggest Jack Crevalle I had ever caught 20lbs.
What a blast. I am seriously considering buying some property down here. As far as the hotel goes one word GREAT! Food like some of the other commenters try all the local places and of course the restaurant on the premises. Very good. Fishing it has always been great. Try some different kinds of fishing of course tuna bill fish dorado that's a no brainer. Try the panga's inshore or rent some atvs and go up and down the beach you wont regret it. I don't normally wright reviews but the 1 star comment bellow prompted me to wright one. The person that came with his friend from San Diego needs to go to Cabo that's were he or she belongs.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Hotel Buena Vista Beach Resort
Hacienda de Palmas
Hacienda de Palmas
#1 of 1 in La Ribera

Been to Hotel Palmas de Cortez? Share your experiences!