“Horrible: tacky, tourista2step, and "#2" skipper insulted name-calling all day”

Hotel Palmas de Cortez
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Los Barriles
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

My San Diego fishing fanatic friend finally agreed to take me on one of his many baja fishing boat adventures.
The hotel is far from Cabo and our room was much worse than Any Motel6 I have ever stayed in, even Vallejo's or Elko's! Los Barilles is a sad tiny dumpy town.
The large white on white tiled dining room may look clean but i had very gut-wrenching painful diarrhea all week.
The swim up bar pool reeked.
The too proud "#2" boat captain muttered Spanish insults and foul names at both of us, all day and every day, And demanded full pay and full tip, even after loosing one of my best-fighting all-small size dorado. My old friend just said "it's mexico".
Never again.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank cal48boy

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I come here annually with my sons and just got back from a four day trip. We usually fish 2 or 3 days and rent ATVs and Snorkel in Cabo Pulmo the other days. If fishing and drinking with your buddies is what you are looking for, this is the spot for you. Don't think I would take my wife here, but you can't beat this place for a guy's trip. I usually stay in the Cabanas for the access near the lobby and nice hammocks/porch to rest on. If you want less crowds, book mid-week. Also, if you are using the Smokehouse for your fish cleaning/packing, recommend you have them weigh each type of fish and make a note of it on the form you both keep. Dont let them mix fish varieties on the scale together, unless of course you don't really care to go home with the correct amount of each variety. Hold them accountable for what you are due. You can save the hassle of bringing your own cooler (and some Airline baggage charges) by waiting to see how much fish you catch, then head up to the Super Mercado and by a cheap plastic cooler (the airport has packaging tape - or bring your own). I gave this a 4-star rating for the fishing experience only....dont come with the expectation of a high-end resort..the bed quality is mediocre. Food at the resort restaurant is quite good, but we also like to venture into town, so we skip the meal plan. Beware of the extremely pricey booze at the pool bar (like NYC prices) ...rediculous...buy your booze up the street at the market.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I've fished Costa Rica several times and I've paid the same to fish four days in Costa Rica I fish seven at Palmas. It has best rooms, food, boats, skippers and overall fishing no matter what fish you're targeting. I haven't been back to Costa Rica since I went to Palmas over four years ago. On this last trip I caught more tuna (which I target) than I would have believed possible.

Room Tip: If quiet is what you want take a room on the north side of Tico's
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank geobeone
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The staff at Palmas did a great job making us welcome as the staff had before at Punta Colorada. This was my 7th trip to a Van Wormer Resort and my 1st to Palmas. Palmas was meant to be their upscale resort and they have done a very good job of making it so.
The food was very good, above my expectations.
The only down fall I see at Palmas is it makes for much longer runs for fishing in the mornings, A Punta Colorada you were on the fishing grounds in minutes.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We have only been going here for about 4 years now but this place is amazing. Not like Cabo. If you want to fight traffic and deal with havoc then stay in Cabo. If you want a nice clean, friendly,safe place to chill, fish,eat, swim " yes in the ocean " then this is your spot. We rarely leave the resort but if you do there are lots of nice little restaurants that won't brake the bank. My son walks around the pool and the beach and there is no fear of rip tides or aggressive vendors here.This is family owned and operated resort. We will be back in October for the Tuna Shoot Out.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ron A
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Our friends got married at this hotel, and so of course we decided to stay there for about a week. It was an amazing experience. The rooms were clean and everything we needed, the pools were clean and nice. Many of our friends were staying there as well, so it was fun to meet up, go play on the beach, swim, and go walk around town. Breakfast was very good! Also the beach was perfect for kids to play in and learn to swim (one of our little friends had never swam in the ocean before and this was a perfect place for her to get that experience!). We snorkeled- pretty cool! I saw rays and many many beautiful fish. It is a different kind of snorkeling than at colorful reefs, but nevertheless amazing. I saw a ray and all sorts of cool creatures. Also, we bought a Hawaiian sling for spear fishing and had some great dinners from our catches!
We brought along our paddle board and everyone had a blast on it, our friends rented a couple seadoos and we towed our paddle board and had a blast! Altogether our hotel experience was amazing. Sunsets and sunrises are a MUST SEE! Beautiful! The wedding was also really fun!

Just up the road was a grocery store- stoked all we needed! The boys bagging the groceries deserve a tip (they dont get paid well) so remember to give them your change! And if you walked around town you could do a little local shopping, and have some of the best Mexican food you will ever eat. Guaranteed. They do not speak English everywhere, but some of us knew Spanish- at least the basics, so we were able to get by, it was really a fun adventure! The chocolate shop about 1/2 block from the hotel had some of the best chocolate I've tasted, and up the same street were taco stops with the best Mexican EVER. The pharmacy was okay, we got what we needed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 37ski
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Have been down twice this year and a third trip is hopefully in the plans. Clean rooms with good air-conditioning. The food at the hotel is very good no reason to go off site if you dont have the urge to. This is a resort geared to fishing but you would not disappointed taking the family for the weekend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 4 in Los Barriles
Hacienda de Palmas
Hacienda de Palmas
#1 of 1 in La Ribera

Been to Hotel Palmas de Cortez? Share your experiences!