“Nice and relaxing”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Los Barriles
Sunnyvale, California
“Nice and relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with about 20 other people in January and had a really nice time. The hotel is beautifully situated...right on the beach with lovely sunrises in the morning. Our room was right in front of the pool on the first floor which was really nice to walk out to during the day. This was definitely a slow time for them because it was very quiet there - I can imagine that it might get crazy during October. The water (both the pool and the ocean) is cold this time of year, so we didn't do much swimming...although the hot tub was very nice. We tried kayaking but it was too windy. We also tried snorkeling but it was also pretty choppy. Renting ATVs was a blast. It's definitely not a high end resort but we found it really relaxing and comfortable. We definitely would stay here again, but I'd like to go when the water is warm.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I'm a year late writing this. I just added pics from last Feb, 2nd trip. We don't go for the fishing or wind surfing which is described as world class. We just missed the Resort hosting a 'sand sculpting contest. One of the pics shows a sand sculptures behind wife Rae. We saw the fishing and windsurfing but I think you have to go at the right time of year for fishing and laying in the sun and swimming. I believe Spring thru Summer is more 'World Class Tournament' fishing. December is not for sunning and swimming.

We go to stay at a great place and experience what it's like to live in Los Barriles. We take advantage of the beautiful amenities of the Resort, but we also eat all over town, meet locals and Americans who live there (at least in Winter) as homeowners.

We go over the mountain to Todos Santos, a really... really quaint town. It's where the Hotel California (Eagles) is located and it's a great surfing destination, although it's a 10 min or so drive to the Ocean.

Back in Los Barriles I kayaked about 6 hours, saw so many colorful fish and some so unique. I had favorites that looked like fresh water fish from the Great Lakes.

We rented ATVs by walking into town and rode North a long way to this really secluded beech. There is lots of coral for snorkeling and a shrine of the Blessed Mother built into the rock cliff. The cliffs shield you from the wind if needed.

Then we rode the ATVs to a hotel on a cliff and ate, drank and smoked cigars on a beautiful veranda overlooking the coastline looking south. That same day I took off from the secluded beech up an Arroyo to who knows where and got some great local pictures.

We love everything about the Palmas de Cortez and the staff. Do your diligence, come with the right expectation and your expectations will be exceeded. From pictures you can see how nice it is and from the reviews 'most guests' know where they are going. You can let the kids run loose here and if you want to know where they are, just ask the staff. If you want to eyeball the kids its 1-3 minutes to find them,

The resort is secure, walled and there is staff at the entrance so the kids are not gong to 'wonder' off the premises. Some folks tell the kids the beech is off limits. Palmas de Cortez has all the character, style and amenities of the mega resorts in Cabo but you can walk anywhere around the buildings at this Resort in minutes. Nice too you can walk anywhere in Los Barriles. Catholic Church is atop the bluff overlooking the Resort.

As for the uncomplimentary reviews, you have to use judgement and critical thinking. I have no experience fishing here but I have plenty of life experience that tells me there is more to 'everything'. The Resort may not have control over boat departure if guests are late and don't show up. If you want to rent your own boat, then you can leave when you want and come back when you want. Go with others unknown to you and one of you gets sick, your out there all day, 'sick'. I learned that in Acapulco.

You're going to have guests at this Resort on a budget, some only there to fish, rent their own boat and don't care what it costs. You won't find a Resort in this size and class of Palmas de Cortez that will have a higher rating.

Some reviews may be legitimately a bad experience, sometimes it's a personality 'we' (you and me) would not put up with. But the Resort has to be courteous and helpful to a fault. But I suppose there is a limit there to if someone endangers, creates unsafe conditions, threatens or drinks too much and police have to be called. Use your judgement reading the reviews that are over the top 'angry and vengeful'.

I added the Palmas de Cortez pics before the review. Asked for photos again now so I added other pics of our trip.

Come to Chicago this Summer!

Room Tip: We like the top floor of the hotel for the views. We're not in and out all day though. If we w...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DougTally
San Luis Obispo, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Mouse in room at check-in. Scared him away out the door. Grubby room, dirty patio furniture, hair that was not ours in sink, leaf litter on patio. Bedding was musty - pillow smelled like sweaty old man and moldy pool water. Pile of mouse droppings behind bed. Door didn't easily pull closed. Thermostat had been replaced, hole in wall was left behind. Patio door had a really flimsy lock, opened to patio where everyone in the hotel could walk by and peer in the door at our things. Loud wedding party. Woke to huge Caterpillar Tractor pushing out the fishing dock at 6AM after a night of fitful sleep feeling uncomfortable and dirty. Pile of stubbed out cigarettes on our patio table, huge cockroach in the bathroom in AM - have photos it was crazy big. We asked to check out rather than repeat this sleepless, uncomfortable experience for a second night (final night of what should have been a relaxing vacation.) We asked for a refund of the second night, the front desk told us we had to ask the booking website. Booking website said that the hotel would have to determine if there was a refund. We went to the front desk, when we checked out we were given a folio that indicated a refund of the second night, which we felt was fair. Now two weeks later, no refund, booking website doesn't seem to know anything about it, and when they called the hotel the hotel indicated that they were charging us for the entire two days. Will wait a little longer to hear about the refund, next going to my card company to refuse payment. Sorry this review is choppy, I was trying to format it to fit into the limited space allowed on the booking website's comment form.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the pool view rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank nrcvino
Stouffville, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a week after Christmas, 2012. While we had both a Garden Room and a 2 bedroom condo, the condo is far better. The second floor condo was spacious and well appointed, and the full balcony looked out over the Sea of Cortez. The daily housekeeping service (added on top at the end of the stay) was well worth the small extra cost and the cost covered the restaurant service as well.
Deep sea fishing and kiteboarding are local specialties - both are immediately available on the wide white sand beach. You can also rent an ATV or bike and explore the dry river beds.
Food choices are limited, but if you catch your dinner - take it to the Bayview, a restaurant on site, and the chef will prepare it to your liking.
Tio Pablo is another great choice for dinner or lunch - just outside the gates.
Go to Caleb's Café for breakfast - just up the hill from Tio Pablo.
We liked the distance from the very busy Cabo area, one hour south. This town is quiet and hospitable, but has the amenities for a great holiday.

Room Tip: Condo - second floor, unless you don't like a flight of stairs.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank EAP12
Windsor, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I've been to this resort a few times now and I'll continue to go back. The pool side rooms are nice and so are the condos. The staff are very friendly. Great food at the bay view restaurant. Fishing was great the capitains and deck hands are very hard workers they do everything they can to get the fish in the boat. For those out the that think mexico is dangerous The small town of Los barillias is very safe. I look forward to going back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Allyn, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

First off, I am writing from the perspective a woman. My husband and I just got back from a Bill Fishing Tournament. We had a blast. I really like this area. It is much more old Mexico. No flash like Cabo San Lucus. Here are some of my thoughts:
1. Pay attention to the hot water in the shower. The controls may be backwards. The water is very hard and there can also be some mineral build up. Thus lack of a hot shower.
2. All rooms are nice. We had an ocean view and we are not paying extra for that next year.
3. No need to rent a car for the duration. They have on site rentals that you can rent for 1 day if you want to go exploring.
4. Ladies, there is not much shopping. Cabo San Lucus is about 2 hours away, La Paz 1.5 hrs.
5. It is a safe & short walk to the store for beer and soda, etc. Prices are very reasonable.
6. There is a frig, but no microwave in the regular rooms.
7. Food is very good. We drank the water and ate the food without any issues.
8. We had the meal package. I think next year we will check a bag that has breakfast & lunch supplies and buy dinners. Probably try some of the local places.

The pool and hot tub were wonderful. There over 100 of us there. Some of the wives fished, others didn't but got together on their own to do things. Some brought their grandkids/children. The facility is geared to all ages.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are quieter and have their own hot tub.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jan D
EastCapeEddie, General Manager at Hotel Palmas de Cortez, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Jan,

It was truley a pleasure to meet you and your husband at this years tournament. Thank you for the review and we hope to see you and your husband very soon.

Eddie Dalmau
Baja's Van Wormer Resorts
Valencia, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed at Van Wormer's Palmas de Cortez and really enjoyed the facilities and location. Nice mid-sized resort. Feels more like Mexico should rather than Los Angeles-South (aka- Cabo). Staff were pleasant and helpful. Stayed in a Cabana. Room was clean, but walls are a bit thin. My big complaint is the poor fishing gear used on the pangas. The East Cape of Baja is known for its world class fishing (that's why I was there). For what ever reason Van Wormer Resorts uses beat up rods and what look like 20 year old Penn reels that you can hear the dry gears grinding as you crank the handle. The skippers had virtually no lures, hooks etc... The sadest part of all is that my buddies lost a 200+ pound marlin due to a frayed leader that should have never been used. Bottom line: Good place to stay, but bring your own gear or book your fishing through someone other than the hotel.

Room Tip: Cabanas for the guys. Step up to the adjacent Van Wormer Hotel or Condos if bringing the girls or f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank doggystravels
EastCapeEddie, General Manager at Hotel Palmas de Cortez, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Roy,

Thank you for your resent review of Hotel Palmas De Cortez. I would like to apologize for the poor fishing gear on the super pangas you rented. I have pulled up your reservation to see which boats you fished on and I will be investigating the situation. We have a person resposible for checking the fishing gear as well as fixing any broken gear on the boat. There is not reason why there shouldn't be good fishing gear and tackle on board each boat. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I promise you I will fix this problem right away.

Thanks again,

#4 of 4 in Los Barriles
Rancho Leonero Resort
Rancho Leonero Resort
#75 of 116 in Los Cabos

Been to Hotel Palmas de Cortez? Share your experiences!