“Mediocre”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Los Barriles
FL
“Mediocre”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

The location is great but it is nothing more than a less than average beach resort hotel. The public areas are pretty well maintained but it lacks any character, warmth or ambiance. It is just a concrete building. The pools have nice views onto the Sea of Cortez. The bar could not serve a mojito-unbelievable in Mexico- the wait staff was too busy watching TV to even bother to try. Mind you, there were only 4 of us there! Tico's for breakfast was really sad- a cavernous place, no ambiance, no napkins and a sad table with some spoons, a few styrofoam cups, milk and paper napkins. The coffee was mediocre and tepid. The a la carte breakfast was equally mediocre.
Our room was a very good size but it was obvious that housekeeping does a VERY shodd job cleaning. There was sand on the floor, hair and fluff under the table and vanity seat. The coffee table had a layer of dust that could have only accumulated over many weeks! The room itself was devoid of any warmth, character or comfort. The bathroom is a good size and was clean except for the fungus on the silicone of the window.
To date I have not stayed at a hotel that charges 10% gratuity on rooms. I am not sure who this goes to but if the hotel is charging this, they need to elevate the service and rooms.
Unimpressive hotel, one I will not return to nor recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank JYPA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I have taken groups of plumbers to palmas for the last 22 years,have never had anything but a great time,fishing is good and the bartenders alwas have a cold one handy,even my old friend hector. Be back soon.

Room Tip: I like the 2nd floor best
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Ken R
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We travelled from England and it took 3 flights to get there and frankly it was not worth it. It was December and the wind howled the entire time making it too cold to sunbathe and there was not much else to do unless you were an expert windsurfer or kitesurfer. We had come to fish for marlin but the sea was too rough and when we got out we could only fish for Seirra and Bonita. We booked through Angling Direct Holidays and it said in the brochure that the fishing was top class and the hotel was luxurious so we were very dissapointed as neither is true in my opinion. I thought the hotel had potential but it needed someone to go around and point out everything they didn't bother to sort out. We were very happy to come home.

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw lacked an attention to detail
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Margherita2012
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed January 31, 2012

This resort is very very pretty. Nice, clean rooms. The ocean is absolutely beautiful and very entertaining to wash the many kite boarders. This is located in a very small town about an hour north of the airport. We went over Christmas and their were very few people staying in the resort, but we still had a great time non the less. Good cocktails as well as food. Two restaurants: one for breakfast/lunch and the other lunch/dinner. We very much enjoyed our stay at the resort and there are a handful of restaurants in town if you want to venture out.I highly reccommend this hotel, but not a lot to keep you busy so plan on wanting to explore the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Katelyn D
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We're just getting ready to go back to Van Wormer Resort so I googled it to see what enhancements they made to the property since we were there 3 yrs ago. The ratings scared me for a second, just as fast I remembered my brother said it is highly thougt of in that area and my sister just told me... that's where I got the info on the enhancements... she visited (didn't stay there) and couldn't say enough great things about it. I'll give my feed back when I get back staying Feb 4-9, and I'll share pics or our experience there. We wanted to get out of Cabo and we loved VWs. We made such good friends there, and we can't wait to see if some of the same staff are still there. We're thinking... if they are, you better come because this place is gonna 'rock baby'. Suggestons: Los Barriles nearby, or drive West over the mountains to the Pacific and Hotel California. (Note: I had to pick a date below. we actually went Feb 2009.

Room Tip: Let the kids have some freedom don't put them next door. It's safer than home.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank DougTally
Florida
Reviewed January 18, 2012

The hotel was nice, beautiful pool, beach views, etc. Internet only available in restaurant and common areas. We loved the fancy restaurant, great guacamole and margaritas! The other restaurant had good breakfast options that weren't too pricey. The rooms were okay - beds not so great, but updated bathrooms and clean. The pool was too cold to swim in (January) but we went in the hot tub which was nice. I thought it was a bit overpriced for what you got, but it was one of the nicest hotels in the area so I would probably choose it again. (Oh, the fishing was a total rip off - we got not a single bite, they should have told us only fools try and fish there in January...all we got was a long boat ride. Make sure you go only during peak fishing season. Otherwise save the money and do something else.)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Had a wonderful time. From the room to the food to the fresh Civichi when we shared our catch of the day. What a wonderful time we had!

Room Tip: They wouldn't let me choose an alternate date. We were there at an earlier date. I would return...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
#1 of 4 in Los Barriles
Los Barriles Hotel
Los Barriles Hotel
#4 of 4 in Los Barriles

Been to Hotel Palmas de Cortez? Share your experiences!