“Good value...”
Review of Cafe Maria

Cafe Maria
Ranked #14 of 31 Restaurants in Los Barriles
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: They're good but you can't eat every meal at El Viejo. Allow me to add a couple reviews of other restaurants in Los Barriles. I've lived here for 8 years and I like to eat, so I know.
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This restaurant is away from the main street a little. The inside is a little worn, but OK atmosphere. The food was fine, and certainly a great value. After a week of trying the restaurants in the area, I can't say this is the best. Service was good. My hubby had cream of zucchini soup that was great. His fish tacos were average. My carne asada with beans was one of the best, but the chili relleno and enchilada were average, so it's hit and miss.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

One of the best breakfasts we have had in los barriles. Very clean, great food and an awesome presentation. we will definitley go back and continue to refer friends there.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Don't expect 4 star ambience or service but I can guarantee one of the best meals in town. We usually visit Cafe Maria while on vacation during the day when it's not too hot. The place has many fans that try to cool you down while having a meal.

Our favorite items include the fish tacos which are fried in a batter that tastes like heaven. The ceviche is the best in town and the vegetarian burrito tastes better than any burrito I've had in the states. Please try the mango smoothie which is a must in the summer months when mango is in season.

I come here for the food and not with the expectation of a michelin star restaurant.

1  Thank Hedra68
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We had a number of pretty good meals in Los Barriles, including from the seafood restaurant El Barrilito and the street vendor in the lot across the street. Cafe Maria was just down the street and based upon the Tripadvisor review, we decided to give it a try.

We ordered a large ceviche to start, and then as main courses arruchera (a marinated skirt steak that had been very good at El Barrilito), pescado Veracruzano (a white fish in a sauce with tomatoes), and shrimp burritos or enchiladas. While the pescado Veracruzano may have been the best fish my wife had in our week in Los Barriles and the shrimp dish was quite tasty, the arruchera was gristly and tough -- so tough we could barely chew it -- and didn't taste as if it was marinated.

On the service end, the ceviche was never delivered (thankfully, they didn't charge us for it). When we wanted tortillas for the table (to make it easier to eat the arruchera) or an additional beer, we literally couldn't find anyone to take an order. We had to walk into the back to get someone to give us a check and then again to pay the bill.

This was not a satisfying experience.

2  Thank letsmakeadeal
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Maria's is one of our favorite places for dinner in Los Barriles. Catch of the day, jumbo shrimp breaded with cocoa, chicken in Molle sauce. It is all very authentic Mexican food, well prepared.

The flan is only 25 pesos and they are not gringo prices, VERY reasonable.

2  Thank Eugene_ORWill