“August 2, 2007”

Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
pennsylvania
“August 2, 2007”
Reviewed August 2, 2007

Just returned from a stay at the Riu Vallarta, and consider it one of the best deals we could have found. The pools are big and roomy, plenty of loungers, and the beach is fantastic. Everything you read here about the food is true - typical all inclusive buffet fair. Don't expect to be impressed. Sir George's was the exception - very good dining. If you are going to book any type of activities, Vallarta Adventures seems to be the best company. We did the outdoor adventure and could not have been more pleased or had more fun.

The hotel is spotless and there are people constantly cleaning all day, every day. We had excellent service from housekeeping to concierge services.

Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed July 2007
4 Thank vacationsaregood

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,439)
  • Polish first
USA
Reviewed August 1, 2007

I thought I would write this long detailed review but when it comes down to it I think my title pretty much covers it. Here are a few facts:

1. the food is pretty mediocre, not terrible, just not that great, if you like buffets then you will have plenty to eat
2. I can't stress this enough, the beds are HARD
3. the hallways are stone floored and concrete sided so sounds just rattles around in there and right into your room, take earplugs, if you don't like earplugs... stay somewhere else because there is nothing quite as nice as a child screaming down the hallway in the middle of the night to wake you up
4. this is a locals hotel, I'd say 60% of the guests are Mexican, nothing bad about this (I'm Mexican American) but they don't really interact with non-locals... there are two distinct groups at this hotel, Americans and Mexicans and nobody talks.
5. your room will smell really funny, like mildew, it's the tropics so stuff does not dry that well so it smells, I got used to it
6. all the restaurants are mediocre
7. the Shows are lame, they really were
8. it's HOT
9. the only place where air conditioning exists in this entire hotel is your room and the restaurants (and the sports bar but it sucks so it does not count), the ENTIRE hotel is open to the outside (lobby, bars, theatre). If you like AC stay somewhere else, after you eat dinner there is no where to get away from the heat
10. and last but most definitely not least, MOSQUITOES. If you don't like mosquitoes, or they really like you (they like me), then don't go to PV this time of year. I'm serious, don't. Mosquitoes are everywhere when the sun goes down, and I think I mentioned the entire hotel is open air... we found ourselves in the sports bar to get away and I also think I mentioned the sports bars sucked. no moonlit walks of beach unless you have Raid dripping off you from head to toe.

The hotel is pretty, the staff is ok, and the beach is really nice. The drinks are watered down and food is blah. PV is really nice and there are many things to do so my advice is go to PV but stay somewhere else. If you already have reservations here and compulsively reading reviews here hoping they will get better, they won't. Your vacation will be what you make of it, if you are OK with the above and are willing to relax and sit in the sun and have drinks brought to then you will be OK. Keep your expectations low.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — lack of AC and oh yeah the Mosquitoes
2 Thank magicthedog
Avon, Ohio
Reviewed August 1, 2007

My husband & I and four other adult family members stayed at the Riu Vallarta from 7/21-7/28. All in all is was a good trip but not great. The hotel property is beautiful and staff works hard to keep it clean. As mentioned in other reviews....the hotel lobby is beautiful and spacious but no air conditioning. In the evening it is nice to sit in the lobby and have a drink at the bar....but it was very hot and muggy when we were there......so it was uncomfortably warm.

The rooms are nice....but if you have a room in the inner court of the hotel it is very noisey especially at night. When we were there... there were tons of mexican families staying at the resort and the children were up late at night and very noisey in the hall ways, etc.
The adult pool is very nice....but water is too warm and trying to keep the children out of the pool was difficult for the security staff. The pool bar with great and the staff was wonderful!
The beach is beautiful with plenty of lounge chairs. There are vendors on the beach but they are friendly and do not pester anyone.

My main complaint was that the food was average at best. Not a big variety.....everyday seemed pretty much the same. Lots of flies around some of the food. The Asian restaurant was my least favorite... it was a buffet with fair selections. I did enjoy Sir George the gourmet restaurant. The lamb chops were very good and the drinks were stronger The steak house was good too....I had rib steak prepared medium....so it was not tough and tasted great. Most of the food in the buffet was very bland.... nothing to write home about. I am not hard to please with food....so for the great price you get at this resort I probably shouldn't be complaining at all. :-) I agree with other reviewers that it is not fun getting up at 7a.m. to make dinner reservations and to get good pool seating with shade. We took turns in our group doing this job.

This resort is still quite a distance from downtown PV. It takes about 45min. and $18.00 to get into town by cab.

We went into Bucerias (fishing village) for dinner one night which was fun and the food and drinks were good. They also have little shops to buy some souveniers. From the hotel the taxi fare was $7.00 and it takes 10-15 min. to get there. Walking would take about 45min.

Speaking of souveniers...the Riu Vallarta has vendors set up tables in the center courtyard a few times per week selling their wares. Prices were fair and a decent selection to choose from.

Make sure you lock up valuables. Believe it or not....our married daughter had her mascara taken from her room. There were lots of different staff members entering our rooms at different times of the day.

Would I recommend this hotel??? For the price and the beauty of the property.....YES! The staff does work hard to keep everyone happy. It is difficult to please everyone and I'm sure there are problems where ever you stay.

My next vacation in Mexico will probably be to Cabo San Luca. We've been told that the Riu property there is excellent....so we'll look into it.

I hope this helps. I always appreciate the time it takes for reviewers on trip advisor. What a great service!

• Liked — beautiful beach and sunsets
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank OhioSuTee
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 30, 2007

I went to this hotel with a group of 30-something girls for a three day weekend. First of all, you must know that the hotel had hardly any American visitors. The room was nice except the beds were hard as rocks...we all had back pain for days. They will tell you that its 24 hour room service, but it' s not. The food is awful...my friend found a hair in her food and lots of people at the resort were sick from eating there.
The drinks do not have alcohol in them unless you ask for it. The liquor is very cheap, by the way. The pool was so warm and pee-ridden. The bartender, David was awesome...the staff was all wonderful and accomodating.
The flamingo steak house was gross. We ended up ordering pizza every night. One guy at the pool called it an anorexic camp-where everyone loses weight from staying there-there is nothing to eat at the hotel.
There is no air in the hotel.The room air cond was never working-it was so hot and you could hardly sleep. The disco was fun, however...if you get drunk enough you can forget about the heat and the bad food.
Checking in and out was great and the worry free people were super!! I will never do all inclusive again, though!!! Not worth it!

Fort Worth
Reviewed July 29, 2007

Where do I start?

Let's see. The rooms. We were there in July and half of the time the air conditioning was out, so it was miserably hot in the hotel room. Also, the beds were so hard and uncomfortable that we all woke up with aching backs, so I called down and had 10 extra pillow delivered so that I could sleep on top of them. Other than that the rooms were acceptable.

The Food. Terrible, terrible, terrible. There is no room service as advertised, and the hotel's idea of 24 hour food consists of chips and guacamole, that is if you can find it.... Also the lunch buffet was bad, flies everywhere and the dinner restaurants served gray steaks. Yuk! Also there was a short and curly hair in my friend's breakfast omelette. Breakfast was the only half acceptable meal at the hotel, and on a scale of 1 -10, I give it a 4. Just very bad.

The Pool. Let's just say that every Mexican in Puerto Vallarta was there. The water was unusually warm, so we called it the "pee pool" it stunk and was generally disgusting. The bar at the pool smelled awful, too. Let's just say after the first day, I only went to the beach.

The Bar. This is ridiculous. You actually have to request alcohol in your adult beverages. And they don't wash the glasses.

The Food. Well, in the steak restaurant the meat was gray in color. The lunch buffet was covered in flies (outdoors) and was the same thing everyday, guacamole, chips, french fries, cold cuts, cheese, a hamburger-type of thing, hot dogs (gross). The other restaurants were no better. Breakfast is the only half acceptable meal, but my friend had a short and curly hair in her omelette. So after that we took a cab to the grocery store and ordered Domino's pizza to the hotel.

Checking out. Well, when you check in, you get towel cards for the pool and beach and a lock for the safe in your room. If you don't return the towel cards or leave the lock in the room when you check out, they charge you $50 for the lock and $20 for each towel card. Bad.

This place is for 18 year olds who don't care and just want to get to Mexico for cheap. It was so bad that I doubt that I will ever return to Puerto Vallarta, and will really consider going to Mexico again at all.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
norman, ok.
Reviewed July 28, 2007

We read the reviews from other people saying they got sick on the water, the food wasn't really good, don't believe them! Nirvana chinese buffet was mediocre but the rest of the restaurants in particular sir george and falmingos steakhouse were exceptional. Only problem was having to get up at 7;00 am. to make the reservations each day for each restaurant. Hopefully this will change. Rooms: a/c is tied into the patio door switch so make sure the patio door is closed. Also the beds are very hard so we requested 2 egg-crate pads to install on top of the mattress. My compliments to Hector in the martini bar from tuesday to thursday from 5-10 pm. Also David in the pool bar was entertaining and please bring along some tip money to compensate for some of the people who get very rude with the pool bar bartenders. all in all a very nice property, would stay at again, sincerely, mark in norman,oklahoma

• Liked — freindliness of staff
  • Disliked — hard beds in rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank havefunNorman_Ok_
Reviewed July 26, 2007

My sisters and I stayed at RIU Vallarta from July 5-23, 2007. We normally stay at RIU Palaces but since there are currently none in Nuevo Vallarta, we chose this hotel. We were not disappointed! The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed spending time with Animacion Team members Jean, Ely, Carlos, Reuben, Juan and Gardo during our dance lessons by the pool and our bocce ball on the beach. The evening shows were entertaining, especially the Malecon show, where the animacion staff does spoofs of different celebrities. Food was O.K. I don't recommend the Asian or French reservation restaurants, but the reservation steak house was good. Cab fare to downtown Puerto Vallarta is expensive, $18.00 each way. Bus fare is much cheaper for those who are brave enough. If you want a great place to eat off of the resort, go to Karen's Place in Bucerias. And for salsa dancing, its all about Mambo Cafe in Marina Plaza on Saturday nights!!! We would definitely return to this hotel, it was great!

• Liked — Staff & Hotel Amenities
  • Disliked — Distance from downtown Puerto Vallarta
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
#8 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
#13 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Hotel Riu Vallarta? Share your experiences!