“Spring break at the Riu” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Vallarta

Hotel Riu Vallarta
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Indiana
“Spring break at the Riu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2007

We just returned from a week at the Riu Vallarta April 1-8. We had heard many different reviews and were anxious to experience it for ourselves.

Rooms: We had a Jr. Suite. Room #7042. Two adults and 2 kids 15 & 11 years (boys). The room was very nice and spacious. Bath was large with double sinks. The beds were a little on the hard side. The view was great. We were in the center of the "U" and looked out over the pools and ocean. Only one American tv channel in the rooms.

Pools: The pools were very clean and nice. Chairs do fill up early around 7:00am.
Beach: Very nice and clean. Waves were very calm in the morning and then picked up in the afternoon. The water was very shallow and our 11 year old could touch quite a ways out. The drop off was very slow. Very sandy and no rocks or shells. Lots of chairs by the beach.

Service: No drinks service by the pools or beach. You have to go get your own drinks. Lines tend to be long. Could use more staff. Overall service was good. You have to ask for service. When asking for additional clean towels, they brought them promptly. When asking for additional beverages in room frig., they boughtly them promptly.

Restraurants:
Buffets-food good
Sir Georges-suprised when my filet came with a mustard sauce on it. I did not care for it at all. You MUST wear long pants and a collared shirt.
Flamingos-ok food
Nirvans-I had heard many bad reviews and was pleasantly surprised. The food was very good.
Bottom Line on Rest.-food was good, but it has to fit your tastes. Try them all!!
Reservations fill up by 7:00am. Get in line early.

Sports Bar and the Internet:
They charge $8.00 for one hour of service. The wireless is available only in the sports bar and didn't always work. They do have about 8 computers to use.

Did not see any rude or drunk behavior from guests. (Can't get drinks quick enough) We did take our own travel mugs.

My 15 year old enjoyed the Riu Jalisco's pool activities. He went to their pool to play water polo and water volleyball. They did not have those activities at the Riu Vallarta.

Will answer any questions.

• Liked — Room accomodations
  • Disliked — Internet services
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank IndianaVacationgoer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,405)
  • Polish first
vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2007

How the industry rates a hotel as 5 stars is completely beyond me, after spending 2 weeks at the Riu Vallarta I think it's very clear that the expectations are quite low. My husband & 2 kids had a junior
suite from March 17th to March 31st...our initial impression was of the lobby which was quite nice and very clean. We were told our room wasn't quite ready which was fine, but when it finally was ready and we got to the room, there were no towels or bathmats, and no facecloths, no soap and no sheets on the pull out bed. This was remedied quickly enough but it seemed to be a problem that happened on a daily basis. They couldn't quite get it together to bring everything in one visit...we were always sneaking down the hall to get 'something' off the cart if it was there, or phoning down to have
it sent up. We had one day were our room wasn't even made up and the sheets on the bed were changed once in our 2 week stay and this was after about 10 days! The built in bar was supposed to be replenished every other day and ours never got done...although we didn't ask either.

The food was your typical buffet style food which although it wasn't horrible it was the same stuff day after day, so prepare to go out a few times to eat elsewhere. Breakfasts were usually OK with fruit , yogurt or an omlette but it seemed like lunches were often leftovers from the night before and dinner was hit and miss. This is all typical of all inclusives I've found but it's the first time that I've been to a hotel of this size where there is only one restaurant to go to without a reservation (unless you want to go over to the Riu Jallisco which was the same food in a nicer atmosphere). To get into the other restaurants you needed to be up and in line by 7am where they began taking reservations at 8am. Once we got into the Chinese place (you can skip this!), once we got into the ocean side place (nice view of the sunset but still getting up to go get your food) and there was no way we could get into the Sir George's Restaurant...which didn't allow kids anyways! We later found out they have one sitting for children and it was at 9pm...good luck not feeding a child until that hour. All the restaurants (with exception to Sir Georges...which because we didn't get to eat there I don't really know) only served "house red, house white or beer" for dinner,
and even if you could get a mixed drink from somewhere else it really
wasn't worth it. Soooo watered down! Never had such crappy margaritas, even I can do better.

The pools were nice, I'll give it this, but it sure would have been nice to have someone bringing drinks around the deck. There was absolutely no poolside service let alone service on the beach. You want a drink? Go get it yourself. The beach is a lovely place to go for a walk or swim (watch out for sea snakes) (no I'm not kidding) The down side of the beach was that there were no beach umbrellas (palapas?) so in order to get shade you needed to sit up by the hotel
away from the water under a palm tree. This tended to get pretty crowded so we spent most of our time by the pool which for us is a great disappointment.

To sum it up this place was a three dressed up as a five. My husband could have sworn this was a renovated hotel as opposed to something that just opened 4 months ago. The elevators had many holes in the walls of all of the elevator cars and it really didn't look brand new
anywhere! Would I go back? Not a chance. I'm sure I'll hear the 'aw quit your complaining' stuff but from someone who has been to at least 5 other all inclusives in Mexico, this was the worst. Hope you havn't booked yet!

PS....The weather was great!!! Bucerias was quaint...loved it. The people were lovely!

• Liked — the weather
  • Disliked — the hotel
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank shannyVancouver
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2007

First off, my wife and I have never stayed in an all-inclusive hotel before and have no plans to do so again in the future. We arrive on April 2nd and left this morning (the 7th). That being said, this was for the most part a great vacation and we enjoyed ourselves very much.

First the room. Our room was very comfortable and clean. We were able to set the temperature to a comfortable level and enjoyed having a ceiling fan to use. The shower had great pressure and good temperature control. Our mini-bar was stocked regularly. The only thing missing when we arrived was that the tequila in the liquor dispenser was empty but it was replenished later in the afternoon. Apparently housekeeping and mini-bar stocking are separate staff people. The porch was nice and having a clothes rack out there was a nice touch.

We did not use the pool because we prefer the beach and we were not disappointed. Much has been said about needing to reserve a lounge chair early in the morning but this is not true on the beach. There were plenty of chairs available all day. The beach was clean and the water was cool but good for swimming. Many kids enjoyed boogie boarding in the waves as did some adults. We used the ocean kayaks one day (free except for the tip) and had a blast. WARNING! There never seemed to be any lifeguard on duty so keep a close eye on the kids. The surf can be erratic at times.

Our only complaint, and I know many will say we’re finicky or picky, was about the food. Obviously when most of the food is from a buffet, it has to appeal to a wide audience. So much of the food was bland and unappetizing and frankly, can be found in cafeterias across America. The only meal we enjoyed was breakfast. There were always fresh fruits. One dish that stood out was the “paella” (though made with noodles instead of rice) it was very tasty and filling. One word of advice; if you like soft drinks with your meals, bring a bottle from the mini-bar. The fountain drinks in the buffets were always flat. We did not partake of the meals requiring reservations. We decided instead to dine out. The desserts were good but not great. We weren’t thrilled with the food but many others seemed to be enjoying it as were the kids.

If you want to take the bus into Puerto Vallarta, the bus leaves every 30 minutes from next to the Riu Jalisco just up the road. There is a blue bus stop sign and it costs 15 pesos to get to Wal-Mart. It stops across the street from Wal-Mart and then you get any bus that says “Centro” and it costs 5 pesos. If you want to get to the Malecon, and I highly recommend you do, take a Centro bus until it makes its first left-hand turn. The Malecon is another block south. The bus from Wal-Mart back only runs until about 7:30 pm, so if you’re out later it’ll be about 180 pesos. The bus trip from the Riu to Puerto Vallarta is about an hour but a fun trip. You can ask for a bus schedule at the front desk.

All in all, we had a great time in Puerto Vallarta. The staff at the Riu Vallarta were friendly and very helpful and the hotel seemed uniquely suited to families and couples. My wife and I won’t be going again, but I would recommend it to people who enjoy all-inclusives.

• Liked — Great beech, comfortable room
  • Disliked — Buffet food with no flavor
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank MrSilva
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2007

Stayed March 31-April 5. Arrived at the resort around 2:00 pm after a
12:30 arrival into PVR. Booked AA thru Expedia and the resort thru FUNJET. Transfers pre-arranged thru TRAFICTOURS. After a trip last year, we were well prepared for the timeshare crunch after exiting customs. Just be polite yet firm and make your way thru to the pick-up area.

Our Junior Suite was ready on arrival. We got a short welcome speech,
an envelope with our keys,towel cards, and room safe lock and key and
were wisked away to our room.

Here is where we started noticing the level of service was not going to be 4 star. No welcome drink, no cool towel, no offer to explain services. (more later)

I will tell you, our room was spectacular. I conversed with Tina (thru the RIU website) several times before our arrival to convey that we were celebrating an anniversary and room view DID matter. We were given Suite 8017, a top floor suite at the end overlooking the ocean, with a spiral staircase to our own private outdoor jacuzzi. Only 4 rooms in the resort have this view.

The room was nice. A split level with a love seat and table. The bathroom was average with a tub/shower combo that was a little awkward to get into. There is a sign telling you not to dink the water in the bathroom (had to brush our teeth with bottled water). I was surprised to find no light in the shower but relieved to find the shower curtain let adequate light thru. The toilet placement is inconvenient behind the door. The mini bar has 4 bottles. The Cuervo Gold was nice. The other 3 bottles of gin, vodka and rum were some no-brand rot gut. The bottles of Corona were also nice. We always had to request water and diet pepsi.I found the room keys(real keys) and safe keys(real keys) inconvenient.
It took 2 days to get the TV to work properly.

The pools were ok. The beach was nice.

Now I will try to explain our disappointment with service. We have stayed at other 4 star resorts, most recently Paradisus in the Mayan Riviera and last year at the Vallarta Palace. The restaurant reservation system is ridiculous. We were told to get up every morning at 7:00am to stand in line to make reservations to the 3 ala carte restaurants.Only one per day. The first morning, 9:00am was too late to reserve anything(sorry senior, better luck tomorrow). We ate at the buffet for a second night. The next morning 8:00am was good enough for the last (9:00pm) seating at Flamingo(sorry senior). We had to get our own soup and salad. No bar service. Wine from a 50 gallon drum. Limited menu, no better than the buffet, and get your own dessert......4 stars?

The next day, 8:00am was good enough for the last seating at Nirvana(Asian) (sorry senior). After a long day of sun and shopping we did not feel like getting ready for a 9:00pm seating. No room service....
. Sports Bar with left over, micro-waveable hot dogs and hamburgers. Nacho chips.........4 stars?

The next morning (our anniversary) I set the alarm for 6:30 am..... what a guy I am ;) and hurried down to stand in line to assure a reservation at Sir George (gourmet) (enjoy senior!!). At least it was
full service(no bar). Our waiter did offer to go out to the lobby bar to get me a drink. Bottles of red and white wine. The food was pretty good, thankfully.

The breakfast buffet (Don Rafael)was pretty good everyday. Plenty to chose from to please everyone. Continental breakfast buffet(Flamingo)
pretty good also. Lunch buffet (Flamingo) ok too. Those are your only choices...... 4 stars?

We had cocktails in the evening, at the lobby bar, before dinner. My wife is not fussy and enjoyed her Cosmopolitins. I am a little fussy and had to settle for "top notch?" Early Times in my Manhattans.....
4 stars? Only one set of elevators in the lobby. The glass elevator by the pool has a 4 person weight limit and was out of order 2 of the days we were there. This made for long walks depending on your room location....4 stars? Every day we had to request something for the mini bar or more towels for the bathroom......4 stars?

One thing that getting up every morning at the crack of dawn did let me see, was the dance at the pool every morning trying to reserve a chair. People would be out before 7:00am placing towels on chairs (I guess since you're up trying to get a dinner reservation anyway). I even saw someone pay a pool boy to reserve chairs, even tho there were signs saying reserving chairs was prohibited. The swim up pool bar was crowded with drunk spring brakers and under age kids (neither
allowed at this resort?) (All the elevators on our side of the resort
had holes punched in them). The drinks were cheap and watered down in
plastic cups. I did not get a good margarita the whole time I was there (they use some cheap lemonade mixer). No pool side service at either pool, you must walk or swim up to bar....4 stars?

We ALWAYS take along plenty of dollar bills for tips. This week, no one OFFERED to do anything for me. At the pool, in a restaraunt, in the room, in the lobby, not anywhere. It saved me some tip money. This is probably a very nice 3 star resort and should probably advertise itself that way (it may soon have to) Did all this spoil our vacation? Of course not!! (well, my wife's a little) We had a beautiful view of the ocean with 85 degree sunshine for a week. It all depends on what you are looking for!!

I will be more than happy to answer any questions.

• Liked — 8th floor junior suite with jacuzzi
  • Disliked — level of service
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank fireman9s
Calgary, Alberta Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2007

We visited the Vallarta Mar 24th for a week, the bus to the hotel is always a great ride, the buses are very updated and comfortable, we got to the resort at about 12:30 and the room was not ready till 3pm. We wanted to upgrade the room, as we just booked a standard room( which we will not do again as we had a view of the parking lot) didn't like that - you don't spend that much time in your room, it's nice to "relax and have a beer" at the end of a hot day on your balcony ! We ended up getting a room with a view on the 3rd night, but would in future book a Jr. Suite to be sure we had a view.

We were at the Riu in Los Cabos 2 yrs ago, which is a 5 Plus hotel, this resort compares at about a 4 star. The service was good,the staff were friendly, it is a really nice hotel, everything was clean, pool was fantastic, the food was good, after a week it was not so good..had enough of the same thing. .We ate at Flamingos Steak House and I got food poisoning - have had it before so I knew, not fun. Very sick that night and the next day. There was another young gal sick the next day and same restaurant...think it was the salad..maybe the spinach...it was not fun.

We got the "spring break " kids too, the hotel was full..every morning there was vomit in the halls/elevators/ashtrays etc..it was pretty gross..
Took a trip tp Puerto Vallarta one day shopping, it was fun, the bus was a "long" ride, would take a cab in the future for sure. !t takes too long on the bus, you go to Walmart and transfer into town...just the stops and tranfers can take 1-2 hours each way..

Went Deep Sea Fishing, that was great, booked it through the Sunquest rep. at the hotel and it was fun, didn't catch "the big one" though, but caught some smaller fish and it was a great day out, not expensive.

And have to say, the Wine, as everyone else says, is Horrible.The white was "tolerable " a couple times...but it's "BAD" .. and everyone that works there knows it..not sure why they don't change it ? We bought some bottles in town but the selection not that great. There was no bar service at the pool/beach, but that was no big deal.

We did go to the Jalisco next door, would come back and stay there, it is much more developed - trees etc.it looks really nice although it is older.The crowd was different, not all the teens/spring breakers...it seemed more tropical .. nice atmosphere..family resort more so.

All in all it was a good vacation, the weather was great so that makes it all good. Nothing really bad to say about the resort. It is really nice.

• Liked — Clean,pleasant staff,pools,beach
  • Disliked — Wine,spring break kids
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Barnzee
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2007

We just returned from staying at the Riu Vallarta 4/4/07 and had a wonderful time! We traveled with another young couple who travel very differently than us, but we met in the middle and agreed to the Vallarta.
Overall the whole experience was a 4. Below are my complaints and praise, but do not let that take away from the fact that all in all we really enjoyed ourselves and the facilities. It should also be noted that we read a lot of other traveler's responses prior to going so we were prepared for early morning restaurant reservations, saving your place by the pool, etc...

The hotel was clean and always being polished. The rooms were nice and service was always there whenever asked. The staff was extremely kind and was very tollerant with those of us who struggle through our spanish (or only spoke english). Along previous reviewers, I would highly suggest asking for a bathmat. I read the reviews before going, knew what I was getting into and still fell more than once (while sober) in the tub. We requested a bathmat and it made a world of difference.

The one major gripe I had with the whole experience was the formal dining options. We ate at two of the ala carte restaurants (avoiding the Asian per prior recommendation) and in both scenarios we were quite dissapointed. We really enjoyed the buffets and the selection and quality for buffets, but it seemed that the ala carte (especially Sir George's) was extremely subpar. The food ended up being nearly identical to (if not worse than) the buffet food, except that it was presented in a nicer fashion. Presentation only goes so far for me when the food is cold, poor in quality, or extremely lacking. The steak house was okay. The location was fantastic for the sunset, but the food was a bit overcooked. If you do prefer your meat on the medium-rare to rare side, I might suggest asking for it to be a little extra red than you may normally.

Other than that, we had so much fun with their activities directors, water aerobics, nightly shows and everything else associated with the resort. It was just a shame we couldn't stay longer.

One final note: a previous review from a travel agent suggested trying to ask for a standard room on the north side facing the courtyard. We did just that and had no problem with our location, although it was a couple floors above the theater area which can get loud if you plan to retire prior to the evening shows. I couldn't tell you if it'd be better off on the other side of the courtyard or not, but that may be something to consider.

Hotel, grounds, etc in my book gets a 5+ with all the activities and everything to do. Food gets 3-. In total I resolve to a 4.

• Liked — The friendly staff & hotel accomidations
  • Disliked — The food & wine - although the buffet options were generally good
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Robi0304
MapleGroveMN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2007

We were at the Rui March 21st through the 27th. We were a party of 8. My husband and I booked a Jr Suite . We liked our room very much. I loved our view of the pools and the ocean beyond. We were on the 7th floor. Our bed was hard but I've yet to go to a motel yet where I thought the bed was soft so we just asked house keeping to put an eggshell foam pad on and that helped alot. Anything you asked from housekeeping was delivered immediately. Yes there were days things were forgotten but nothing that couldn't be gotten by a phone call or a stop at the desk. The in room mini bar was nice but the only things we actually used out of it was the Pepsi, water and I drank a couple of the Coronas the first day. Your out of your room and at a nearby bar all the time anyway so we didn't use it much. We enjoyed all the alternative resturants but you need to get down early to book anything. Some days I was there at 7 and the St George was already booked but then it only seats 50. We were able to get into all the resturants and there is something for everyone to enjoy or in my opinion you're very fussy.The main buffet where you can get breakfast lunch and dinner was good. They made the best french toast. The only bad thing about the food was the rolls they used for hot dog and hamburger buns. They were very dry. We sat on the beach the first day and up by the adult pool all the other days. Plenty of umbrellas by the pool and palm trees on the beach. My husband and sister in law like the pool games so they would go over to the Jalisco to play pool volleyball as the adult pool at the Vallarta doesn't really have a set up for pool games. If you wanted a pool side chair get up early and claim your spot . Pool grounds and all areas overall were always being swept , polished or cleaned. Entertainment was average but something to do in the evening. With a few cocktails it got better. There was always something going on or just people watching is always fun. I celebrated my 51st birthday down there and our group arranged for a birthday celebration. They made a cake and the waiters sang Happy Birthday. It was very nice. The Spring Breakers arrived our 3rd day there. They were all high school kids with parents who didn't suppervise their kids but its the same things they'd probably be doing at home if they got the opportunity to get free booze. Other than some littering and some loud noise at 2 or 3 in the morning they weren't that bad. They paid for there drinking the hard way the next day. This was our 4th time in P.V. and although I enjoyed the resort very much I think next time we go we'll stay closer to down. A cab was $l8 one way for 4 people or $36 for a van that got cheaper if you went on a week day and not a weekend. Take the walk to Buceries. Its quite a hike but good exercise. They'll dicker in price at the flea market but didn't really want to at the market they set up at the resort on some evenings. Overall I'd rate the Vallarta a 4 out of 5 and would recomend it for singles couples or families.

Stayed March 2007
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,613 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Vallarta? Share your experiences!