“Good times at the RIU Vallarta”
Review of Hotel Riu Vallarta

Hotel Riu Vallarta
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed October 30, 2009

This was our 3rd time to nayarit and 1st at RIU. It was wonderful! Spectacular beach, lovely hotel staff, delicious food, and delightful entertainment. We will likely return next year to enjoy it again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank torontoladyofleisure
Write a ReviewReviews (5,413)

Reviewed October 17, 2009

We travel a lot with our young kids, and this hotel was a disappointment. The kids club was closed because "there were too many kids" to accomodate all, that is exactly what we were told. Kids were bored out of their mind, as there were no activities for them. The staff would come out to the beach for 15 minutes, and if you missed it, nothing else is there to entertain the kids at all!!! The beach is nice, but if you are expecting blue water, this is not the place for you. The water looks grey/black because of the sand, they have "black" sands. So again, if you are a beach person, you won't like it, as you are not even tempted to go in the water, because of the way it looks.
The hotel itself is nice, but crowded, and the food is not what you would expect from a hotel of this rating. We are not picky at all, neither are our kids, but were a bit disappointed in food choices. And everything, I mean everything is over - salted.
They claim to have 24 hour snacks, well try to find any, good luck, they are always out of everything, and when they have something, its gross.
The adult pool is very dirty, puke partcles are always floating in the water. I am not sure if they clean it or not. Entertainment was ok, but if you wanted to dance after or do something fun, there is nothing.
The rooms were nice, and the staff was friendly. But overall, would I ever go there or recommend it to my friends, absolutely not. There are a lot nicer places to stay at and to see for the same money, so choose wisely!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Happy422
Reviewed October 11, 2009

I stayed at the Riu Vallarta for 7 nights in December, right before Christmas with my whole family. Which consisted of me and my husband and our 5 children that range from 10 to 29, as well as my parents and an adult cousin and her two teenage boys.

When we arrived at the resort we were greeted at the front desk and booked into 5 Jr. suites with amazing views of the ocean and the courtyard below. The rooms were just as the pictures on the travel site had shown. Everyone was impressed with the mini fridge and even more impressed that it was restocked about every day. The pools were beautiful. They have and adult as well as a kiddie pool. The only problem with the pools was my 10 and 17 year olds wanted to hang out with the others at the adult pool and we were given a hard time by the security guard . The drinks at the pool bar were good but the cups were too small. We had to order 3 at a time for ourselves to have enough to drink without having to get up and get another right away. They were plenty strong. None of us thought they were weak, but then again, maybe we're lightweights.
The only thing that the kids had trouble with was the food. They are somewhat picky and at times, there was'nt enough choices for them to choose from. Most of the rest of us had soooo much food that we were full to the gills. The buffet was good and had good options for breakfast , lunch, and dinner. The reserved dinner restaurants were good the Nirvana was our favorite. Everyone got dressed up in the evenings for dinner and the shows. The shows were cute, you can't expect too much. It just gives you something to do before the disco opens. Disco was just ok. Lots of staff drinking and acting crazy.

The beach was beautiful and big! Lots of chairs to hang out on and palm trees to hide out under if you've gotten too much sun. The water is deep blue and shallow so you can walk out a long way and be waist deep. The boys bought fishing poles in town at walmart and fished off the beach in the evening. They had a good time catching and releasing small fish. We all had fun shopping on the beach and getting henna tatoos. The shops are tents and you can barter well with them to get to prices you want.

All in all, everyone in our party had a great time and would love to return to the RIU!! You will have a great time at this resort . Just sit back and enjoy!!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank julielharb
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Went there in April. We had a blast. The food was great and plenty to choose from. Great views!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank yzf1k97
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We went to Riu Vallarta for my sons senior trip at spring break. There were a total of 25 of us iin the group, all parents with at least one teenager. We enjoyed the food, there was always something to eat (except after hours, the 24 hour sports bar was disgusting!) The atmosphere was always relaxing. There was never a lack of things to do on the beach. One day my husband even swam witht he dolphins that seemed to show up most mornings. The view was nice. The rooms were always clean and the staff was exceptional, if they were anle to grant any requests they did. The evening shows were a bit hokey (especially Mr Riu, skip it!) The Michael Jackson show was very good. Yum, yum to the drinks! Great martinis and Mexican flags. One piece of advice, if you aren't able to get a reservation for a restaurant you wanted to get into, call about 10-15 minutes after the seating started for the night. There were always cancellations and we usually got in. We had fun on the pub crawl and the zip tour was awesome!
We did not have to deal with a lot of rowdy drunk teenagers, even though it was spring break, because it seemed as though most of the guests were with families or traveling with other adult friends

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank marshmallow61
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I am a fan of all inclusive resorts. This was my least favorite anywhere. It was over crowded with so many children that the adult pool allowed children. Never pool towels after 11 a.m. The dress code was enforced only to Americans. The Mexicans coming by the bus loads were never made to dress or act appropriately. My bedding was changed once in a week. The food was not even so-so except for the seafood restaurant. It is a beautiful property on a great beach. But there are a lot nicer resorts for the money.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank hairtoni
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I just returned from a 5 day trip to Rui Vallarta with my wife. Like everyone else, I read the reviews saying how loud and bad it was at Riu Vallarta. I got so scared, I tried to change my reservations but couldn't without paying a fee. Now, I am easy going, but am very critical when I think I am getting bad service. Well, this place was paradise and the staff incredible. If anyone else says otherwise, they must have been there during peak travel time or have sticks up thier, well you know. The following is a review of the various aspects of the hotel:

Room: Wow, it is gorgeous inside and out. We had a junior suite on the 5th floor and it was all marble with a whirlpool tub. The view was incredible and the mini fridge is refilled every 2 days! The beds are a little hard, but ask the front desk for a thick blanket or eggshell cover to put underneath the covers and they will do it. You don't have to lift a finger (we asked at 8PM and when we returned at 9, the bed was already fixed.) The nightly entertainment (9-11) can get loud. If you have the radio on softly, it drains out the music. If you have little kids, then this is probably not the place for you....you can be down on the plaza enjoying that nightlife.

HOTEL grounds: gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. The pools are wonderful, but can get warm in the afternoon. Security was too diligent on keeping anyone under 18 out of the adult pool (the kid was 16, but sorry). The walk up bars have plenty of alcohol, but the drinks can be weak. All you have to do is ask them to make it strong and they will. Not too hard, right?

Beach: not crowded (we just missed peak of travel season....summer vacation for kids etc) and the water was warm, but refreshing. Plenty of chairs and a waiter comes by every now and then to get your drinks.

Food: Restaurants are gorgeous and food is okay. it is all you can eat, so the food is pushed out in droves. The quality of food was better than expected. I ate a lot every meal. If you want your keister perpetually kissed and A-1 food, go somewhere else.

STAFF: my god, they were overfriendly, but in a nice way. Whatever we wanted, we got. Whatever we asked, we got answered. The front desk actually helped me settle a phone dispute with my airport transfer. I always got smiles and 5 star service.

Overall: would go back a hundred times over. I am not afraid to call it how it is, but I swear on my life that my wife and I can not wait to go back. It is a gorgeous hotel, friendly staff, okay/good food, and nightly entertainment (some in mostly spanish, but if it is dancing, who cares?). For the price, you get what you pay for and then some!!

If you go anywhere during peak travel season, any hotel will be crowded and overrun with kids. Go here during the off season and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple