Hotel Riu Vallarta
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
Hotel Zar Nuevo Vallarta(Nuevo Vallarta)
  • Restaurant
Marival Residences Luxury Resort(Nuevo Vallarta)
5,630 results
All reviewssir georgesports baradult pooldon rafaelflamingo restaurantplaza bargourmet restaurantjunior suitethomson repsasian buffetmattress toppergreat holidaymain buffetevery other dayfamily poolentertainment teamspecialty restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We just returned from this resort on Friday, Feb 21. My husband and I took our 2 kids on another vacation to beautiful Puerto Vallarta.
We arrived to the Riu on the 14th of Feb. First impression of Resort was good. Great check in, greeted by hotel staff with a complimentary drink, and handed an envelope with our room key and towel cards. We headed directly to our room. Didn't need to go thru the usual check in process. The food was good at the buffet. Surprisingly good for a buffet. Every night they had a special at the buffet. Ie..Turkey, Chicken, Ribs, Fish, Lamb, Shellfish. I thought it was a great variety of food. No complaints from us on the food. Only complaint was trying to get into the a-la-carte restaurants. We only got into one of them. Every morning there was a line up of people trying to book. Last year we stayed at a resort where you didn't need to book. First come, first serve. I think they should all be like that!
Rooms were a lot smaller then what were use to for a junior suite. However, they were clean and it didn't make our stay any less manageable. Room 7044 had a great view! We seen dolphins and whales in the morning.
There were two pools. Adult pool and family/kid pool. I was not a fan of the pool area for a couple reasons. First of all, it was quite crowded. Second of all, didn't get a breeze off the ocean. Which made it a little unbearable in 30 degree weather. Preferred the beach mostly on this trip. This resort had a great beach area. I liked that we were able to rent an umbrella for $10 a day. My kids enjoyed the boogy boards provided by the hotel. I'm not usually one to get in the ocean, but really enjoyed it here. No, it doesn't have the pretty, aqua blue, water like Cancun side. However, it is warm water, the beach is sandy, and the sun is shining. All good!! :)
Lobby is really big!! Lots of room to sit and get on your ipads/phones. Free wifi daily for 90 mins continuous. Then you have to wait 24hrs before you can get on again. Not a big deal. However, we did notice alot of smoking, everywhere. Even in the elevators. Alright if your a smoker. But for those of us who don't smoke not so nice. But thankfully lobby isn't closed off, really open, so air can flow!
Entertainment team was great! They worked tirelessly to provide the best entertainment daily. No one can say they were lazy. Awesome job done by all of them! We liked the music provided nightly. And thanks to Choco for giving me a dancing lesson. :) Different themes nightly, with very good dancers. WOW!!
Service was over and above expections! Buffet greeters (Joel, in particular) were so helpful. Always made sure we were happy! Our waiter, Ramon was absolutely amazing. We would always request him when we went to evening buffet. Our morning waitress, Norma, was equally amazing. Always had a smile! I called her my girls Spanish teacher. She would quiz the girls in the morning when we would arrive.:) She knew our usual table and when she seen us coming she would prepare it for us. Beach servers Tony and Lucio..kept us happy! They checked on us quite often. Service at this resort an easy 5 star! We would definately return to this resort!

• Stayed: February 2014
10  Thank ocean95
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This is not my first rodeo of traveling. We signed on through Expedia. Our family and another. The Hotel was nice enjoyed the separate pools although a little disappointed that there wasn't a connection for the swim up bar. (Only for adults) The downfall was that we couldn't get a reservation for dinners and the buffets were under stocked with food. Now the staff for the majority part were trying to keep up but... It was a mess. Couldn't get tables do to not being cleaned efficiently from the last sitter, to the rooms having 2 twin beds together to sleep 4. No room to sit. Luckily were an outdoors family. Did have fun with the beach soccer and volleyball. They admitted they were OVERBOOKED and UNDERSTAFFED as they didn't plan for the influx. We won't stay their again. In fact we left this hotel and paid the $350.00 dollar they charged for us to move to the RIU Palace. (Worth it) That's my next review!! Ciao

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Joe P
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This all-inclusive was very nice and very clean. There were always people around cleaning the place up. They even cleaned the metal chairs around the pool everynight. The food was very good as well. All three resturants were above average for food taste. We were however disapointed that there were not more Mexican dishes served at the buffet. You are limited to tacos and rice. The hamburgers and hot dogs at the buffet did not look very good and no one in my family would even try them. The soup at the gourmet resturant and the steakhouse was very very good. I ate it all at both places, and I have not eaten a bowl of soup in years. The beach is very nice and wasn't too crowded when we were there. The room was a Jr. suite. It has two small full beds and a pullout couch. It's a little small for a family of 4 with a 16 yo and a 12 yo. The beds were tiny. The nightly show was good when it was the Michael Jackson or Grease, but uninteresing when it wasn't. The kids show got old and annoying after the first day.
Be warned though, this hotel is not too close to any of the attrations. You have to take a cab to get anywhere. We did the Los Veranos tour, it was a 1.5 hour ride to get there after we took a cab to meet the tour bus. The closest town is 6km away. This a straight walk down the beach. So, if you want to go out to eat or shop, be prepaired to take a cab.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank rdemo
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Riu Vallarta from Feb 9 to 16. We previously stayed here 5 years ago and it is still a great all inclusive. The food prep has gotten better with all buffets having great selections. The entertainment was better the last time we were here, but it is still good. The facility including bedrooms was kept very clean and we had no maintenance issues at all. Great accommodating staff. We will be back. (PS; they never ever ran out of bacon like some reviewers commented!)

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SKTraveler_59
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We go to Mexico every Dec for a a staff trip...we have always stayed at the Royal Decameron..this year we decided to try the Riu Vallarta and were very happy with the change! We enjoyed our years at the Royal De but it was time for a change! Our rooms were very nice, always clean! We booked the Jr Suite and were right on the corner with a beautiful ocean view! Loved it! Having a coffee maker and fridge in the room were great! The only downside was you had to call reception to have your fridge refilled...it should be done daily. Loved the beach, loved the adult only pool! Service around the pool and beach were a bit hit and miss...but you can always get your own drinks at the bar. Dinner at Sir George was great! We got served a few bottles of champagne but our friends were told no, which was a bit odd. Tough to get a reservation more than once and we were there 10 days...it just got too busy. The buffet was quite good...I don't like buffets but they are cooking right behind the serving trays...so you can see how fresh it is! Loved the Martini bar at night...great place to get caught up with your friends at the end of the day. The capuccino in the Sports bar was a nice treat too! I took a fruit cup for breakfast from the Sports bar a few times but it was never really fresh...so I didn't bother trying again. The fitness centre was not bad...it would have been nicer with some windows to the outside. The one thing i did notice was it was not super clean throughout the day...lots of plates and glasses left for hours by garbage cans and not picked up...some garbage cans on the beach overflowing with cups...at the Royal De, it is always impecable. The railing in the elevator was broken during our trip and not repaired over about 5 days, which was surprising. I think they are planning a big renovation in May, so that may be why? All in all, it was a great time and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We upgraded to the Jr Suite for $150 more for 10 days, well worth the price. Rooms facing the ocean are quiter than those facing the court yard.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends