“it was fine”
Review of Hotel Riu Vallarta

Hotel Riu Vallarta
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I love the downtown area of Puerto Vallarta! this location is a bit far away for my taste. The resort itself was fine , staff was friendly food was fine the resort is clean also. It was very crowded here, the beach area is nice. I have stayed at Palace of Riu before and i do think it is better to stay at the step up. My biggest problem here was the bed, it was very hard and had some strange plastic like sheet covering on it that always was making like a crinkling noise!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank travelapple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,335)

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed at the Riu Vallarta from Jan 25 - Feb 1st. The lobby was very clean and quite
appealing. Check in was easy and you were directed to your room. Simple. The rooms were clean, yes the beds were a bit hard, but we liked that. The food was outstanding - always different fun food ideas were created each day and plenty of it. We cancelled our a la cart reservation because the food at the buffet was so darned good. The bartenders at all the bars were always pleased to serve you - very friendly - big smiles. The waiters on the beach were very efficient - also big smiles - very friendly. Our week was absolutely terrific - we would definitely come back to the Riu Vallarta in a heart beat. For those that were not pleased, I suspect they are never pleased. Just my thought as I can't even imagine or did not experience anything negative at this resort.

Room Tip: Court yard rooms will get all the noise from the bar and disco. Do not choose a court yard room if...
13  Thank BooKitchener
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We were very pleased with our trip overall. Staff very friendly and helpful. Room and grounds were well kept. This is our 2nd trip here and we would certainly return. We happened to be there over the Mexican Constitution Holiday so over the weekend the resort was very crowded and somewhat understaffed, but didn't cause any huge issues. Food was good in all the Restaurants. Sir George and Flamingo Steak house were good and enjoyable. We will have to request Ocean View next time we come; missed that. Great weather and beach. Took one Day Trip "City Tour" which was very enjoyable. Entertainment was a repeat of two years ago, but fun.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wanda M
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I cannot remember better food at any previous hotel. Do NOT pay any attention to the negative reviews. Hotel was spotless, staff was perfect, + the fancy restaurants were easily reserved.
Our room did have the typical musty odor. Don't go to FL., MEXICO or the CARIBBEAN if this will spoil your trip. There is a long beach for walking...can share the facilities @ the Jalisco 2 doors down.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank greattravelagent1
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Went in Jan 2013 with my mom, sister and niece of 2 years old through Apple Vacations and stayed for a week. The hotel surely is not a 5 star if you are going by American standards, but rather a 3. It's a clean facility (while not spotless as no hotel is); the upkeep of the staff is visible.

The staff is very welcoming and friendly. From front desk staff, maids, bus boys and bartenders and waitresses; none of us experienced any rudeness from the staff as others have mentioned in their reviews. On the contrary, I saw acts of bad manners and entitlement from the guests. I think a smile and ola go a long way; don't act like a royal in a royal court.

The food is pretty good at all the RIU restaurants; wide selection of fruits, meats, cheeses, breads at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Some of it a little bland, but you'll survive. Also while staying here for a week; I never experienced the restaurants running out of food. The drinks can be weak, but all you have to do is ask for a stronger one and it will be made.

Plenty of lounge chairs at both pools and the beach area, we never had to go early to "reserve" chairs. Make sure not to lose your pool towel card, as the replacement card is a $22 fee when checking out.

Others have mentioned that RIU welcomes many locals and they overtake the hotel. While we stayed at RIU we have seen and met many local tourists, and we did not experience any acts of Mexican tourists "overtaking" the hotel. It’s basically an equal mix of Canadian, American, Mexican, European and Latin American tourists. During our stay, everyone was having a blast. Also, if you are travelling with kids, as we were; the hotel has a nightly 30 minute entertainment for kids.

Overall, a great experience in a great hotel. If you expect a Four Seasons experience, stay at Four Seasons.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank pajacara
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Ignore the negative reviews and book it - some people just want to complain. My boyfriend and I just got back from the Riu Vallarta on Saturday; we booked last minute through selloffvacations.com. Overall the trip was exactly what we were looking for, I'm in my early 20s and my boyfriend is in his late 20s - I would say we were the perfect age for this type of resort. We left in the afternoon from Ottawa on the 25th of January and our flight was 2 hours late (this is sunwings fault and they are awful, but I'll get more into that later). Once we arrived in Puerto Vallarta we quickly went through customs and were escorted to our hotel by bus - took about an hour from landing until we were checked into our room. Check-in was AWESOME - we were celebrating and they upgraded us to a junior suite facing the ocean (we were in room 4020). The view was so breathtaking, I would HIGHLY recommend the upgrade if you can - definetly worth it. The room was very clean and fancy, although our room did get a bit musty smelling so we left the patio door open most day. The liquor dispensers were pretty cool, we both enjoy our cocktails so we used the tequila often. We gave the guy who refills the mini bar a nice tip and he gave us 12 beers and a bottle of champagne, a little goes a long way at this resort. The grounds were immaculate and furniture was very old fashioned mexico - loved the little chairs at the outdoor entertainment area. The adult pool was essential, never a child in sight and plenty of alcohol flowing from the swim up bar - go see Roy, he will hook you up with champagne (my favourite) at any time of the day. If you're looking for a daytime party place go hang out there!! I loved having lunch at the flamingo restaurant on the beach, the waiters were always on their toes running around to help and get you another cerveza. Now onto the beach; just stunning, picture majestic mountains, a nice breeze and crashing waves. Whoever says this beach is murky and brown is probably comparing it to the Cancun/Riviera Maya clear blue waters - um hello, this is the west coast - you don't snorkle in California now do you? Anyway we loved it - my boyfriend had a great time in the waves, although I found them a bit rough at times. We walked down the beach to the little village Bucerias and had lunch on the beach and shopped the little village. If you are blonde like me expect ALOT of attention. The food was good, my boyfriend ate pretty much everything and had no complaints. Definetly book reservations at the Steak House and Gourmet, we had 9pm reservations 3 nights but we're young and French so it suited us just fine. The Steak House ribeye was tasty - but if you like medium rare order it medium well, their standards of cooking are different. Artichoke and Tomato soup was exceptional. The Gourmet was really good too, they had things like filet mignon, muscles, and rack of lamb - so if you like it fancy you will like it there. Didn't try the Asian but heard it wasn't great. We also met lots of great friends socializing at the outdoor terrace bar at night and had fun in the day time exploring, drinking, and swimming with them. I'm sure there are details I'm forgeting to comment on but this resort is worth the trip, I don't understand the negative reviews at all. Some tips; drink lots of water and bring pesos (their ATM never worked for us). Lastly the flight home on sunwing was dreadful - five hours late, we landed at 7am in Ottawa, then we sat on the plane for an hour because of 'technical difficulties'. It didn't sour our trip though, we came home with smiles, nice tans/pictures and great memories!

Room Tip: JUNIOR SUITE - worth the extra money.
13  Thank Kathleen T
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Read reviews and booked anyway. We had a wonderful time. When we arrived, I immediately asked for a quieter room, and a bed topper. Before I could ask for a safety deposit lock, they gave us one at no extra charge. The staff was amazing, friendly, and helpful. We were asked multiple times if there were any issues. We had a plumbing issue that required a visit from maintenance. When he came, he asked if there was anything other issues. I told him one of the sinks was draining slowly, so he fixed that too. The food was hot, plentiful, and there was always a large variety. The kitchen staff was always cleaning and replenishing the buffet. We have stayed at many 3.5 - 4 star places before and this place put them to shame. Sir George was classy and the food excellent. The steakhouse, we went 2 times, was very good. Our first visit at 6:30 p.m., some of the food wasn't piping hot when we got it, but was much better the second visit, at 7;00 p.m. The Asian buffet was ok, but the Peking duck was yummy. If you are expecting New York 5 star dining, give your head a shake. Look at the price. Where else can you get a week stay, air, transfers, food and drinks, wonderful weather and a clean place for this price. Any mess we saw was promptly cleaned up. Yes the beds are firm. Get a topper. Yes the show, and the band playing in the courtyard make it noisy till 11 p.m. So, wait till after 11 to go to bed and put in some earplugs. We are not big on drinking, but even I know if you are starting with Mimosas at breakfast and drinking full strength drinks all day long and into the night you would be sick. No one wants to see the effects of that, or clean up the mess. I would return, and recommend this hotel to friends and family. The only negative and it is one that has been an issue at every hotel / resort I have stayed at. There are not a lot of choices of drinks or deserts for people who can't handle sugar. Sugar free icecream, more diet drinks, dessert made with Splenda, would be wonderful.

9  Thank C D