Amazing how everyone has such different opinions about this hotel, and that's okay. I do realize that you get what you pay for and admittedly we got a great deal. Would I return and pay near double in the high season? Never. Here are the pros and cons.
What was great:
- Friendly, helpful, hardworking staff that earn on average the Mexican minimum wage of approx. $8 U.S. daily (work 6 days a week!). Please show your appreciation for their hard work and tip appropriately.
- Beach location was great and so was swimming
-Hotel decor and layout was pleasant, room was nice and much needed A/C worked well.
What wasn't so great:
-The food. Why do I say this when so many liked it? I happen to enjoy good, quality food. While the fresh fruit was a hit and so tasty, almost all other food (besides the self-serve beer on tap) was lacking. It was obvious that the buffet chefs had inferior quality of food to cook with. The food at Sir George arrived cold and tasteless. The coffee at breakfast tasted pretty awful - ask for a cappuchino from the server instead.
- Best food is a short cab ride/walk to Bucerias. Treat your taste buds, visit Restaurante Rosa Mexicano there, absolutely delicious, Mexican cuisine!!
What to bring:
- If you enjoy a decent coffee, bring your own instant from home. (Yes, perhaps an oxymoron, but the Starbucks instant isn't too bad and much better than the hotel's.)
-Insulated drink container to keep your alcoholic drink cold. (I stuck with the beer as the mixed drinks are uber-sweet and most use artificial syrups - eeck.)
I did enjoy myself, but would not return to this chain of hotels. RIU is cutting costs by providing low quality food and drink. This is not the fault of the staff, but the management.
The staff and my great company made the trip a good one, but not willing to be a future RIU guest.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * In Riviera Nayarit, overlooking the Pacific Ocean * Located on Playa de Flamingos beach, 2 km / 1.5 miles from Nuevo Vallarta * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 9-story building * 3 km / 1.86 miles from various shops * 13 km / 8 miles from the airport * 1 km / 0.62 miles from Flamingos Golf Club * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Despegar.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Riu Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Vallarta Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Riu Vallarta Nuevo