I went with my parents and younger sister to Riu Vallarta March 17-22nd 2012. We booked through Apple Vacations and the entire experience was amazing! I never wanted to leave the resort, and after returning to Chicago, IL I definitely want to go back!
My family and I were originally hesitant on going to Mexico based on word-of-mouth and other reviews, but once arriving I had no idea what everyone was talking about. From the moment we got off the plane it was AMAZING! The weather was warm and beautiful and the resort definitely had the WOW factor.
At the resort everyone was very cordial and the check-in process was very smooth. As soon as we got out of our taxi we immediately checked-in and our bags were brought to our room. I finally felt like I was on vacation the way they greeted us and took care of our bags.
The room was great and very clean. The bathroom was big and spacious with a very nice shower (very hot water with excellent water pressure) and vanity. The first day we did have an issue with ants on the bathroom counter but they solved the issue immediately.
The room had 1 queen and 1 california king bed. Which brings up my only complaint: the mattresses were super hard, however I never had a bad night's sleep or did anyone in my family. I slept beautifully every night. Our balcony overlooked the the beach and the Riu Jalisco next door (If you stay at this Riu Vallarta you can eat lunch and get drinks at the Riu Jalisco as well) In the evenings you could hear the performances from the room, and they help you drift off to sleep after a long day in the sun.
The food was amazing as well. So many buffets... especially for breakfast. They have 3 restaurants (Chinese, French and Steak House) My personal favorite was the French. While we were there is also was my birthday, and so that night we ate at the Chinese restaurant and the staff was amazing. They sang happy birthday and brought me a cake! In the courtyard that evening they had a mariachi band and dance lessons. Seriously, one of the best birthday's i've had. (Make reservations for the restaurants early and 2 at a time, but if you tip extra you can make reservations for the entire week)
I love this resort because of all the activities they have going on. Defiantly got involved with pool bingo, water aerobics, beach activities, spanish lessons, sailing, evening activities like casino night and mexican game night (you can win cool prizes at the auction which is super competitive even with fake money).
The beach was amazing and the lawn chairs were alway clean (They pressure wash them individually every night). Another nice thing was that they come around on the beach and wake you up to let you know when stuff is happening, so you don't miss out or burn! While we were there my sister and I really got to know the staff. They are amazing people and the better you get to know them the more fun it is!
Things to know:
1) This place is super clean (Seriously they clean everything, including the walls)
2) The staff is amazing especially the activity staff! (Introduce yourself and they will remember your name)
3) They have US electric outlets...So bring your chargers!
4) Free internet in the lobby + 2 computers to use for free
5) Ask for a call liquor when ordering drinks... they are much stronger
6) It is safe to drink the water at the resort...It is all filtered so brushing your teeth in the sink is fine
7) Giving the maid a couple dollars will keep your fridge stocked with water and beer and your room really clean
8) The waiters on the beach are super busy so give them a couple dollars to keep them coming back and order multiple drinks at once. (Get seated at the Buffets first by the host, especially for breakfast)
9) Use the safe. Super easy just don't lose the key.
10) This is a great family vacation if you have older kids (20-25). There is enough for everyone to keep entertained and have a good time.
11) Go into the city. The board walk is amazing and there is a smaller town within walking distance of the hotel, just know what the dollars to pesos rate is if you want to buy something.
12) There is a ton of beach vendors and if you walk or run down the beach towards the little town you can find awesome beach massages for 20-30 dollars.
As someone from Wisconsin, I had a ton of fun here with my family and I highly recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * In Riviera Nayarit, overlooking the Pacific Ocean * Located on Playa de Flamingos beach, 2 km / 1.5 miles from Nuevo Vallarta * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 9-story building * 3 km / 1.86 miles from various shops * 13 km / 8 miles from the airport * 1 km / 0.62 miles from Flamingos Golf Club * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Vallarta Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Riu Vallarta Nuevo