“One time visit is good enough at Puerto Vallarta. I don't think I will go back there again.”
Review of Hotel Riu Vallarta

Hotel Riu Vallarta
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Riu Vallarta was located outside of Puerto Vallarta Centro just 20mins away and like hotels and time share zone. I stayed Riu all the time when I use all inclusive. First if you try to exchange USD to Peso you are out of luck at this hotel. They only take CAD (Canadian dollar). Hotel setting was usual. We stayed ocean view suite, bedding area and a small living area is separated. Room had two double beds and sofa bed in living area with old TV. Food was good. Mexican food everyday. Two buffet restaurants and three Ala carte restaurant which we did not use. Too many locals from all over the Mexico and too many kids running around in middle of night. They have entertainment every nights but this was away too low graded show every night. Friday night had Michael Jackson show........LMAO.......A person he or she??? acted like Michael could not dance........too short? I saw same show every Riu property but this one was out of question. Entertainment people has to work harder to accommodate our needs there. Regular dancer were good. Back to restaurant....just because of summer time?? too many kids out of control and parents seem don't mind whatever they do. Remote control car run in restaurant? I have never seen those before. Getting table also hussle in breakfast time. So be aware what you are going to see there. Optional tour: instead of go with known company I took Bahia Alegre tour from a guy who has set stand by hotel beach. $45 per/ person takes you to port of Nuevo Vallarta then transfer to Puerto Vallarta by boat then take another boat to place call Las Arcos for 45mins snorkeling then to water fall by walk or house ride which is additional $15 per/person then back to secrused beach for swim, snokel, kayak and lunch. It was sounded ok in begining but HELL NO! Gustavo from a guy at beach came with red pick up track in the morning then put us to taxi to one of port then not enough explanation put us onto that transer ferry after you did snorkeling at Las Arcos then water fall where everybody was supoused go to was optional....... Area of water falls were durty and not a big deal. By the time we came back from water falls we did not have time to enjoy swim at beach at all. Lunch was out of question. Not eatable.....They just get you drunk and drunk and at the end people from boat pushed us to give them tips? Wow,,,,,,,,,too much. I gave them A DOLLAR. That was enough for their attitude and none of us were drunk like other people....Thanks for give us back to port so we can take our own taxi back to hotel which was not included with $45 per/person. I wonder why people goes to Puerto Vallarta? Water is not clear, things are expensive and not much things to see or do. Hawaii is much better if you want to stick to pacific ocean. Anyway no more Puerto Vallarta. Once is enough. Oh! at last, if you are planning to buy some suvenior at duty free shop. They are so much more than any other duty free shop and not many choices. You can buy same stuff from here in US much cheaper.............

Room Tip: Ocean view suite was good but do you want to see black ocean? You can hear kids scream from next doo...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank mia787

Reviewed August 28, 2011

I'm not one to complain, but Riu Vallarta was just outrageous. My family and I have traveled to Riviera Maya many times and have always loved it. This year, however, we decided to try Puerto Vallarta. The weather was great and the entertainment staff was awesome! However, those are the only good points of Riu Vallarta.
Here's a list of all the negatives:
1. There were only two small pools for the huge hotel.
2. The hotel sold day passes, so the pools were overcrowded with locals.
3. The kids’ pool was a murky, urine-filled cesspool.
4. Cotton T-shirts were not allowed in the pool to cover up a sunburn.
5. Mattresses and floaties were not allowed in the pool.
6. Managers were unhelpful, rude and threatened to kick us out. They never provided explanations for any of their ridiculous rules.
7. The food was tasteless.
We will never go back there, nor will we stay at any other Riu. We went there to have a nice, relaxing time, but were treated very poorly. The managers ruined our vacation and we were forced to switch hotels halfway through our trip. If you want a family-friendly hotel, I would recommend staying at the Marival.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank KH888
Reviewed August 26, 2011

The staff was very helpful and friendly, and you could always see at least 10 people keeping the hotel looking clean. Our room was nice and mini bar was kept stocked. I enjoyed the nightly shows although some nights they went on until 1130 but it reminded me I was in MEXICO while I was in bed so I didn't mind that much. The drinks were all good, I stuck to mainly rum punches while my husband thoroughly enjoyed the mojitos. We ate at the Flamingo steakhouse most of the time because they had the best food in the resort and we always got a table right next to the beach which was great. I would go back but I would wait for winter because it was very full of locals which made it a bit hard to meet other people. The beds were a bit hard but the tequila usually helped with that :)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Keera R
Reviewed August 19, 2011

My husband and I went to the Riu for our anniversary. It was wonderful. The service was great, the rooms - clean and the view of the ocean from our suite was fantastic. The shows offered nightly were very entertaining as well. The only part of our otherwise exceptional vacation that was less than memorable was the food. It was better than other all inclusives that where we've stayed but it was still mass produced cuisine intended to please or at least placate the majority of guests. By the last day we were over the heat camped, buffet offerings and opted for a restaurant our hotel recommended. Mar y sol was FANTASTIC. On the beach, a short $8 cab ride from the hotel - we got a fisherman's platter which included a whole seared snapper, huge lobsters, scallops, marinated prawns, rice, veggies, and a second time a fish that was baked. It easily fed 4 people and we left happy and very full.
Vacation tips:
1. The rental station closest to the hotel is free - we got boogie boards everyday (so fun in the surf)
2. Claudia makes the best mojitos
3. Soda at all the bars is flat, flat, flat! Drink the bottled soda from the room
4. Book dinners at the three reservation restaurants on property EARLY! The day before if possible.
5. Participate in as many things as possible. The staff is so much fun and the activities are there to enhance your experience.

• Stayed: August 2011
6  Thank kelstini
Reviewed August 19, 2011

First of all the pools were gross needing major claing all the time....The falmaingo restaurant has birds flyin everywhere and take food off buffet and yes poop I even watched a person leave from their seat to get more food and the birds ate from his plate..the guy returned and knew no bird ate part of his meal. The backs of chairs and gross with bird poop all over them. I told the cooks and managers but no one cared..it was absolutely disgusting. There was no other buffet under closed roof for lunch time....we walked over the the Riu Jalisco to eat luch cuz the Vallarta was disgusting....My recomendation is pick a different place.....Please note I did travel many times to Vallarta and this hotel wasn't worth the cheap price advertising.....You'll be happier somewhere else Eg< Barrcelo chain or Melia....Any the enertianment staff is snotty and are very Boring....you want entrtainment at a top notch entertaininment go to Princess resorts in Cancun...They do a top notch job...Riu's are boring and pathetic and rude unfreindly guys who think they are all that!!!!The pools are very small for what I am used to and for the size of the resort.....and the security gurds think 15 year olds are babies and should wim in the baby pool.. I told them tough my kids are swimming in this pool with me their mother, not a pack load of babies.....

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Christinafromcanada
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stayed for two weeks in February of 2011. We had a great room with a view. Was kept very clean but had a stong musky smell. We had to keep the balcony door open all night. Food was good but the buffet was all over the place. Had to wait in line most mornings. They had a lot of cooking stations but there was no organization. The other restaraunts were very good except for the Asian. The beach was littered with cigerette butts. The staff was all very friendly and worked hard. Overall we had a great time, they made awsome martini's and the crowd was always in a party mood. Met different people every night. Good time for the price we paid.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank thirstytraveler99
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My wife and I are travel agents and we have stayed at many places in the Caribbean. Of all the hotel chains we prefer the Riu because of the value. If you watch the internet, you can find great deals at this hotel chain and you will not be disappointed. The Riu Vallarta is not considered a "palace" by Riu standards, but it could be. The neighboring Riu Jalisco is another excellent property. If you stay at the Vallarta, you get privileges to the Jalisco as well. The fishing village of Puerto Vallarta is wonderful and family friendly. It is different from Cancun in that it is old Mexico as opposed to more modern Cancun. The flavor and feel of Mexico come through at every turn. Whether its romance or family fun you seek the Riu Vallarta is a great way to enjoy your leisure!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank 123goSt_Louis_Mo_
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#39 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#9 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Paradise Village Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Riu Vallarta? Share your experiences!