“Spanish Gourmet Great Value”

Mar Etxea Gastro Bar
Ranked #57 of 142 Restaurants in Nuevo Vallarta
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2014

While looking for a place to dine around the Nuevo Vallarta Marina we came across ETXEA. We were coaxed into dinning and we were so happy with the food the drinks and the service. Jordi Candela Real, Chef and partner in the restaurant guided us through the menu options. There were 4 of us so we decided to share a selection of dishes. We started with their version of Cesar Salad and a mixed vegetable with fish salad both then followed up with the Oxtail and Tuna belly entrées and finished with a paella for two. We were very happy foodies, the meal was a taste sensation. Service was great and we received gourmet food for what we thought was exceptional value. Thanks Jordi and Staff.

There are newer reviews for Mar Etxea Gastro Bar

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Original, authentic Spanish feel, great food, friendly atmosphere, good for a drink and tapas or a meal, fish and meat are superb.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a lovely dinner at this restaurant. In fact there are two restaurants side by side - Mar Etxea and Wine & Burger bar & Grill. I ordered the fish baked in salt - delicious, nicely cooked, nice sized portion, good sides - and my husband ordered a burger from their sister restaurant. His burger was good if a bit "usual" but my fish was lovely. The couple next to yes had the paella which they said was as good as any they have ever had outside of Spain. Apparently they will design your paella to order - fish, shellfish, chicken, black or white rice, etc. I intend to return to test that out. Location is also decent. On the marina and on a nice night (as it was tonight). Prices not bad. We ate for $520 Mexican pesos (about $45 US) with wine and beer. I would recommend it.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

By chance my wife and I came across the Mar Etxea restaurant while strolling around the Marina in Nuevo Vallarta. It opened 9 days earlier. The menu looked inviting and we decided to eat there which was a good choice. The chef is from Barcelona and the food is authentic. I had oxtail with a wine reduction that was very flavourful. My wife had the catch of the day "Red Snapper" cooked encrusted in salt. The fish was tender and succulent. The prices are reasonable and the staff are very attentive. We plan on returning later this week to experience their Paella.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

In regards to Lourdes review last evening, I want to add that I was part of her group. I want to say that all the food and service was excellent at this beautiful picturesque restaurant adjacent to the Marina. This restaurant with its wonderful ambience is an excellent addition to the restaurants in Nuevo Vallarta.

Still, what I want to say here is that I am hoping that in the future, food that HAD NOT been ordered by the customers, WILL NEVER be placed on the table in front of the customers with the expectation by the management that these customers are responsible for paying for these items.

This restaurant certainly has the potential to be a fantastic dining experience in every way. The truth is that it almost was exactly that for of all of us in our group last evening. We really are hoping that this restaurant will be successful. It certainly can be exactly that.