“Great hotel, great deal - HOT deal”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nuevo Vallarta
Sea Garden Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed March 26, 2011

My husband and I were looking for a"hot deal" as we decided on a last minute getaway. We paid just over~ $730 (each, taxes in) which I thought was a deal and a half. Some other people even managed to pay a bit less. Due to the deal, I did not have high expectations for this resort as I heard it was rated between a 3.5 - 4*. I was apprehensive as I had not heard much about this resort, and there were not many reviews. The reviews that were out there were helpful and I decided to take the chance and book. After some investigation, I realized this hotel was actually a timeshare but they are now offering this hotel as an all-inclusive. I did not have high expectations as we got a rediculously good deal. It seemed to be the best deal out there at the time. This hotel far exceeded our expectations. The hotel is very clean and modern. Service was better than we have had experienced at some 5* resorts. It is not a huge property, so it was easy to get around and find everything that was available to us. Now, all that being said, there are a few things some people may not like. But, if you get a deal for this resort, the down sides still do not out weigh the good. They want you to SIGN for all your purchases (food, drink, etc..). This does not mean you will be charged! We didn't have to pay for anything, not even bottled water. Many were annoyed withhaving to sign, but it is worth your time and patience to do so. If you use the swim up bar, you don't have to sign everytime you get a drink! Run a tab and sign at the end of the day. Also, if you are a beach lover, the ocean is rough and it is not always advised that you swim there. Like most Mexican resorts on the Pacific side, the sea is rougher. The beach is very walkable and you can walk a good stretch of it. If you are allergic to sand fleas, you might want to stay away from the beach. We did not visit the beach much, but we were still bitten as the pool is adjacent to the beach. My husband usually never get's bit, but even he was covered in bites. I was bitten badly and many of the guests also were. Make sure you take some anti-histimine for the itch. Also, the beds were extremely hard. There is not a large buffet, but the food quality was excellent, just don't expect a huge buffet like at many 4-5* all inclusives. Remember, this was and still is a time share. The food is very mexican in flavour, choice and preparation. I do not enjoy spicy cuisine, but I still managed to find enough to eat. Lunch was a la carte off the menu and there was a great selection. There was always loads of fresh salads every day, fresh fruit and breads. There is not much night life at this resort and there is no spa. There are no a la cartes here, but there are a few local restaurants in the area. If you are looking for rest and relaxation this is an ideal place. This hotel was one of those "wow" deals and we definitely got what we paid for. If we saw a deal for this hotel again, we would definitely go back.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Julinator3000
There are newer reviews for Sea Garden Nuevo Vallarta

Reviewed March 8, 2011

Only a really good feeling upon checking in and the way that we were treated by the front desk employee. Room and location of room was more than we both had expected as request was only if avaible. Food and service from the main restaurant to the snack back were top notch and haveing the employees polite,well only made for a excellent trip.This resort one would think is kind of a diamond in the rough as to location and what is offered to the general public. Both myself and partner have been to Mexico over four times and would not twice in return to this resort.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sandy105
Reviewed March 3, 2011

My husband and I just got back from staying at the Sea Garden. I had rented a room from a timeshare owner and got a really decent price. The room quite basic and not terribly romantic but it served our needs. I had also called ahead of time requesting ocean view which we got and totally worth it. I expected a rock hard bed but it was actually more extra firm and comfortable for me, the pillows, however were really small and quite frankly need to be replaced. The grounds are beautiful and well kept, the restaurant quite overpriced (breakfast buffet $18pp one time through $12 ppso it adds up if you eat there every morning, drinks $8.60 poolside) We realized too late we should have bought the 6 breakfast meal plan that brough it down to about $10pp) We were really happy with the staff, very friendly. The pool was nice and warm and the beach very nice. I really appreciated they didn't have blasting music all the time, it was kept at a reasonable volume not like some resorts that give you headaches. Most of the guests were upper thirties and beyond and that was great for us, not young partiers at this hotel ( at least while we were there). Last minute we learned of Eddie's place which was great and 8 tostadas. You'll get cheaper and great tasting food there. They are both within walking distance. Overall we had a great time, but will probably stay closer to PV next time to save on Taxi charges.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DKmom
Reviewed February 26, 2011

The all-inclusive invites all kinds as you can imagine. Do not expect to relax here, that will not happen. The staff is used to (and indifferent) to the poor behaviour of their guests so any complaints will fall upon deaf ears. Spring breakers will LOVE this place. Buyer beware. Without prejudice.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cabo22
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Upon first arriving at the Sea Garden we noticed how small the resort was. Not a problem at first but continually throughout the week it began to show how new this hotel was to the "all-inclusive" idea.

The food at the restaurant Rumm-Ba was average. There wasn't much of a selection and most of it tasted pretty bland. Fortunately we only ate breakfast there because for lunch you ordered off the menu from the pool snack bar. The one thing I would recommend is the pizzas-they were delicious (providing that the chef who makes them was there). Dinner was extremely disappointing. The one night we attempted to eat there we ended up leaving in a rage. We were in the restaurant for 1800 (the time it was supposed to open) and the buffet was still not ready at 1845. On top of that, we did not have any service until I went up to the host and complained to him that no one had been to our table. He eventually came but did not offer us a la carte menus as he had done for his other tables and then continued to ignore us. We ended up leaving around 1845 and driving into Puerto Vallarta to have our dinner there. After that experience, we did not eat at the hotel for the rest of our stay.

The bars were extremely slow being that they only had one bartender at each bar. With being new to the "all inclusive" concept, I don't think they understood the demand for drinks that was needed. During the day at the poolside bar, you weren't allowed to get your own drinks. They insisted on delivering your drinks to you. And while the staff was very polite, it's just more convenient to get your own drinks, especially when you're sitting on the beach and it takes the server another 10 minutes to bring them down to you. The bartender at the Acqua bar was always inconsistent. While the bar was supposed to be open at 1700, it was usually not ready until 1830. And being that there was only one bartender, there was usually a long line for drinks. And it didn't help that most of the time, he wasn't even behind the bar because he was always out getting supplies that he had run out of.

The rooms were nice, small TV but some English channels which was appreciated. However don't expect to have your room cleaned until 1600 unless you have the "early clean" tag on your door.

Since this hotel does not have entertainment or anything to do in the evenings we continually went into either Bucerias or Puerto Vallarta. Therefore, I do not recommend this hotel to people who have young kids or teens as there is not much to keep them busy.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank kirstlen
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I thought I would write my review ASAP. So I booked my vacation on Itravel2000 back in September for a weeks holiday from Victoria to Neuvo Vallarta. The hotel was called Ocean Breeze Hotel. I paid $650.00 plus $90.00 tax for all-inclusive. I thought there was an error with the price, but it all went through fine. So my wife, my 23 month old child and myself left on the 20th November. Unfortunately our flights were delayed 6 hours due to the snow, but nevertheless we got to Puerto Vallarta airport fine. For those who have never arrived at this airport be prepared as before you exit to find your tour reps you have to go through so many people trying to sell timeshares. The airport makes sure the Timeshare salesmen have a specific area that you cannot avoid, however, all the tour reps wait outside the terminal exit, so just ignore the timeshare people and head straight for the exit. When we met our rep they informed us that we were the only one's staying at our hotel, so instead of catching the coach, they supplied a taxi direct to the hotel. This was great as it only took 15 mins. I did not know too much about the all-inclusive set up and I didn't know what to expect.

The building itself is called the 'Ocean Sea Garden' and the building is mainly condo's/time shares, but I was informed that the Canadian tour companies created a hotel option and named it 'Ocean Breeze Hotel'. It's the same building, and you can get the standard room, or two room with a kitchenette. So, the building has 182 rooms and there is one restaurant called Rummba, one 'fast-food' type restaurant and room service. There is a bar called Acqa that is open until 1am and there was a swim up bar open until 7pm.

The all-inclusive option included all drinks and food of course. However, the set up was slightly different to resorts I have stayed at previously. Basically, we were offered buffet option or a la carte, however, I only saw the buffet one night, and too be honest, I prefer a la carte. Room service was included, however, there was some confusion, as the waiting staff were unsure, but management did confirm that it was included. So don't be surprised if this changes soon! Anyway, we would always get room-service in the morning, and then have lunch and dinner in the restaurant. What was very odd is that we had to sign a receipt for each order of food or drink. This was not a big deal, but I was expecting a huge bill at the end when checking out, but it was all good. As the all-inclusive option is new, I guess they were trying to just figure out what costs were involved with our consumption. The food was superb, and I am very critical, but this was much better than some hotels I've eaten at.

Even though it wasn't quite peak season, it was kind of quiet, but personally I preferred it this way. The beach was beautiful, although a little rough/cold for swimming, but the swimming pools (three of them) were heated, and trust me this is a beautiful thing. There was daytime entertainment like volleyball etc....but there was no evening entertainment. I think this may change when it gets busier.

Not once were we pressured into timeshares, maybe this was because we had a little kid, but to be honest I didn't see any salesmen either. There is some connection to Ocean Breeze and the Grand Mayan hotel, but we were not allowed to use their facilities without a cost, so there's no real benefit.

Overall the experience was excellent. It's not a five star mega resort, but a very calm, friendly, and well run smaller hotel.

I probably have forgotten many things, so please feel free to ask any questions. and I have also posted this on 'Ocean Breeze Hotel' on Trip Advisor as there's confusion between the two hotel names...

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
8  Thank expat77
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We got an all inclusive deal at the Sea Garden, which ended up being fantastic! Most of the hotel are timeshares, and the service and cleanliness live up to a timeshare standard. The service was fantastic, we never wanted for anything. We were never pestered or approached to buy a timeshare, the hotel staff loved that we were all inclusive! The hotel was gorgeous and spotless.
The room was beautiful, we requested an ocean view and were given one with no problems. The tv was a little older, but otherwise the room was perfect! (I dont think we go to Mexico to watch tv) The hotel was spotless, the maid service was impeccable. We came back to swans and everything in the room perfectly tidied and arranged.
The pool was very clean, the pool bar very fun, again great staff.
We loved the restaurants, the quality of the food was amazing. Tenderloin, Steak, Beautiful seafood, on par to what you would have here in Canada.
The only negative we would say is that this is not a place for young party-seekers. We are in our late twenties and we were the only people drinking at most of the bars. There are bars about a $20 cab ride away, but we would suggest a more lively resort for any young singles. But this is a great place for couples and especially for families. All the families that we saw seemed to be having a great time, there is a children's pool that seemed to be a great hit! The pools are heated, and the only hotel on the entire strip to have heated pools (we heard people complaining about the freezing pools at other hotels along the beach).
The ocean was quite wavy but perfectly warm if you are a little braver then I am! the beach was immaculate and groomed daily. Plenty of chairs both by the beach and the pool and we never had to search for a spot.
There were a lot of activities to do daily, from tequila volleyball, water exercise, bingo etc.
Also excursions to go on for as little at $35 for an open bar booze cruise with whale watching, snorkeling etc. Very affordable to see some amazing things!
There were even sea turtles hatching in the morning, many people had pictures of the thousands of adorable baby turtles!!!
All and all we had a fantastic vacation and will be going back (if we can get all-inclusive!)

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple