“Stay Away!!”

Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Boston, Ma
“Stay Away!!”
Reviewed January 26, 2007

Looks like a nice resort, but it is not! Between the view of the parking garage from our room and the time share pressure, not a place I will return to.

Nuevo Vallarta on the other hand is gorgeous, just do not stay on the Mayan properties.

• Liked — Great Pool
  • Disliked — Terrible view from Room
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank gar01821

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
Cherry Hill,New Jersey
Reviewed January 25, 2007

We traveled 1/14/07-1/21/07My husband and I,my 11 year old son and 12 year old daughter, my mother and father in law. We had a two bedroom ,two full bath , living room and kitchen that provided everyone with privacy and fit the 6 of us perfectly. The room was clean, we had a great ocean view. The hotel lobby was impressive,the staff helpful and polite. We normally travel to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and thought we would give this a try. I found that a lot more of the Mexicans did not speak English here making some of our journeys into town a bit more difficult. Also, getting into town was difficult due to heavy traffic. We found a great restaurant called The River Cafe at the end of town(excellent food & service). We had a great Italian meal at Guido's which is walking distance from the hotel. The Samba was great for breakfast if you feel like piging out but if not ,you could get something lighter at the snack bar in the hotel (bagels,coffee and sandwiches. Also in town we went to The Shrimp Factory(all you can eat) but we did not love it.
The pools at the hotel were great. My kids were busy all day with the slide and wave pool. We all loved the lazy river. A lot of people wrote about the hotel tube rentals. Yes, they are free of charge for the first two hours... we returned them and then an hour later rerented them again free of charge..no problem.
We did two great day trips. The first one was Tours de los Veranos Tree Canopy. AMAZING... the staff were great, the view beautiful and I could not stop laughing. Even my father in law 70 yrs old and mother in law 60's ...loved it. After the zip lines we had lunch there and they had snakes and monkeys that the kids could hold. Even the bus ride into the mountains was great with our funny driver ,Mario who provided us with an educationally history lesson and site seeing guide. I highly recommend this trip for families.
We also swam with the dolphins with Vallarta Adventures. This was great too, especially when they let us ride on the dolphins.Everyone in our family loved it. This was also walking distance from the hotel. We rented a mini van $109.00 per day but I think we might have been o.k. without the car rental.
All in all we have a wonderful vacation. We really liked The Grand Mayan. BE SMART... JUST SAY NO.... to the time share people and don't get yourself mixed up in that mess.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
16 Thank Stephie/G
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed January 5, 2007

Im a mexican! but i love tripadvisor! so i just came back from our trip we stayed there for a week ( december 30 - January 6)... so well i will write my best english for you guys.. This is not my first trip to Puerto Vallarta and i had styed in many hotels so it might help my opinion.
The hotel is amazing! its big and nice, the rooms are confortable.. Prices are a lil bit high, i couldnt belive that they charged you 5 usd per 30 min,( internet) , 10 usd ( daily) for the gym, piñas coladas cost 6 usd , so they are a lilt bit high for mexicans, not because we cant afford it , but just because we know the real prices. The restaurants where really expensive why? cuz you can get better and deliciuos meals outside the resort.
So well let me tell you : there´s a restaurant in downtown puerto vallarta called " Dolce Vita" is my favourite , nice and really good. you can eat a italaian pizza for 9 usd, salmon salad its great .. Wow just my favourite..
Cafe des artistes its great 2, also if you go to the Marina Vallarta you will find lots of restaurants , argentins, italians, japaneses, GO THERE at night! you will have a great time.
Also in Marina Vallarta Mall there is a place MAMBO CAFE its awsome, if you love caribeean music: salsa, mambo, you can have some drinks and dance ..
Ohh and my favourite place this time : Spiaggia! its downtown puerto vallarta . its a new place, where you can go and dinner, and take some drinks.. the CUCUMBER MARTINI !! its awsome ! the food its great they have a great cheff who worked in los jitomates restaurant, Also the´place has their own beach , so you can dinner in the sand .. A MUST GO!
And if you want something nearby the hotel: outside of the tigre golf there is a argentin restaurant really good ! and infront of it its a seafood restaurant : La laguna ( they will move to other place soon so ask the taxi driver or in the hotel )
We had a great time! we spent the new years eve in a yacht ! and was great !
A must go to Vallarta ! great place!

• Liked — Pools Area ! Lazy River!
  • Disliked — You Haf To Pay For The Internet , Pool, Etc..
  • Tips/Secrets — Good Dinner Outside The Hotel! Go To Downtown Or Marina Vallarta
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
17 Thank PAULU
chicago
Reviewed January 4, 2007

I loved this hotel. Its the 3rd best resort in the world. It has the biggest pool in Latin America. I would highly recommend this hotel! The resort is good for families or couples. The only downfall is it outside of Puerto Vallarta but you can take a bus into town for $1.70 per person. If we stayed downtown, our experience definately would have not been the same.

• Stayed December 2006
6 Thank traveler101Chicago
Irvine, CA
Reviewed January 1, 2007

Just got back from a week at the Grand Mayan between Christmas & New Years. Based on the reviews I thought this place would me amazing, in short, it wasn't. The following are the positives & negatives.

Positives:

-The hotel itself was very interesting & very nicely decorated. The entrance feels like the entrance to a theme park ride, with Giant statues adorning the sides of a dark room.

-The grounds were absolutely amazing. The pool area was surrounded by a lazy river that I enjoyed thoroughly. There must have been a good 8 pools in the back section of hotel complete with a slide & wave pools.

-The gym was very nice as well although you have to walk across the road to the Mayan Palace to use their spa which was rather nice.

-Also you can't beat the weather at this time of year in Mexico, just the best anywhere.

-Try upgrade to the 1 bedroom suite it is very spacious.

Negatives:

-The mattresses were atrocious. I slept like I did when I was travelling europe & staying in hostels. They should have put a little extra money into this instead of the other useless items like the freezing cold deck pool. I was not alone here as every one I went with said the same thing.

-The service was also pretty aweful. Not much of the staff speaks english & when you try to order something at the pool or the room, most of the time it took over an hour to get the item. Also, the pool rules were very grey. At times we were told we could not reserve chairs by putting stuff on them in the morning (one time they even took our stuff). Other times it was ok. We constantly had to fights with other guests over chairs because the rules are not clearly defined. Ask the pool employees they don't know them either, very frustrating. Did I mention there were no chairs available, ever! Maybe it was the time of year.

-The food was bad pretty much across the board. I ordered a hamburger everyday at the pool becasue it was the safest thing I could find & even the burger wasn't very good. The buffet breakfast was overpriced & very average.

-The hotel pretty much charges you for everything they can, squeezing every penny out of you. $7 for the maid to clean the dishes, $5 for 30 minutes of internet, $80/week for gym usage, & the list goes on. I expect to pay for some of these things but not everything under the sun.

-The room we had, while a nice size was very dated. There were black stains on the wall, the furniture was old, & you already know about the mattress. Also, almost no english channels on TV. The walls are incredibly thin & the doors don't have hydraulics installed on them, so everytime someone let the door close, it sounded like someone banging a hammer against the wall.

-Too many loud kids. While I can usually handle this, the first room we had before we switched rooms had a bunch of kids crying at all hours of the night. It sounded like they were crying right next to me, just shoot me now.

I can't believe this place charges upwards of 500 dollars a night for staying here. While these are standard rates for the hotel, I can't imagine anyone actually pays this amount as I am sure most use timeshare. If you are going to spend this much, I beg you please go to the Four Seasons Punta Mita just north of Puerto Vallarta. You won't regret it. Nicest hotel I have ever stayed at, period. It is worth the extra money.

The hotel owners just got this place wrong, I can't emphasize this enough. They just don't understand service like luxury resorts should. This place is truly all window dressing & no substance, so save yourself the time & just do not stay here.

• Liked — The Pool...
  • Disliked — The Beds...
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank kingdave19
los angeles
Reviewed December 23, 2006

We went on this trip from 12/17 to last night. The only thing we were unimpressed with was the non grandeur of the exterior architecture. Once inside, we were brought to our room and it was huge. We had a two bedroom suite and it was huge and fantastically comfortable. There was a little pool on the balcony which was great to sit in with a drink and a book.The grounds are huge and beautifically maintained as are the interior areas. There are housekeepers everywhere tending to the facilities. My family lived in the lazy river. We brought our own tubes, so we did not have to rent them. The slide was so much fun. There are activities all day long around the main pool and if you want quiet, there are pools for that too. My children, ages 11 and 14 had a blast...and they didn't even want to go on this trip. We felt that it was not only a 5 star hotel for Mexico, but that it was a five star for anywhere in the world. Every night, I slept like a baby which I never do in Mexico. Every hotel we have been to has had very uncomfortable beds. These were a little hard but still comfy. We had "egg crates" put on our bed so I do not know what it would have been like without it. Breakfast at Samba was so bad we didn't eat there again. We went to the little market on site and got what we needed for breakfast. Some days we would go to the internet cafe which has a coffee bar and breakfast snacks. Dinner at Mondo's was the best. The other restaurants were good too. We ate 3 times at Guidos, an Italian place which is down the street. They have the biggest and best calzones!! We will go back as it was one of the best and finest resorts in Mexico. We had a great vacation. The staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. There seemed to be genuinely fine peoplWe.

• Liked — size and comfort
  • Disliked — exterior architecture
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
13 Thank laurence3
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed December 8, 2006

The Grand Mayan was probably the best resort I have ever been to. It was absolutely perfect. Beware of the sales pitch, we were planning on staying at the Mayan Palace but were offered the chance to upgrade to the Grand Mayan if we were willing to listen to a sales pitch. This included a free breakfast the next morning and the upgrade. However, the sales meeting took over 3 hours. This wasa long time but eventually we felt that we had gotten the best deal possible and we bought in at a very low price. Hint-never take the first offer, they get a lot sweeter the longer you wait. But even if you didn't want to buy in the meeting would be worth the upgrade. Don't get me wrong the Mayan Palace isn't half bad but the Grand Mayan is the best of the best. The rooms were big and well equipped. There were microwaves, ranges and fridges. Also, you can sleep 4 very comfortably-Great for families! Everything you need to live in for a week or more. My advice would be to buy your food at the nearby WalMart and make as much as you can in your room. The resort food is expensive. If you don't want to do this (it is your vacation after all), there are so many choices in PV for great food. I recommend Barcelona's for the best Spanish Tapas I have ever had. The view is also magnificent. Another place is Rodolfos, great seafood, great mexican food, it is a must visit. Some people also comment on the distance from PV. Yes it is a 30 minute bus ride. It is cheap and easy I recommend using this form of transportation over using a taxi. The distance from the city makes the resort a quiet place even though there are many travellers at the resort. Like I said before it is the best I have ever been to, try it out you will love it!

• Liked — View, Large Room, Everything
  • Disliked — Leaving!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family