“Gets Better Every Time”

Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Vineland, New Jersey
“Gets Better Every Time”
Reviewed June 29, 2006

I want to start out by saying that this was my 3rd time in NV and my 2nd staying at the GM (stayed at the Mayan Palace the first year)

The perks began as soon as we got off the airplane because they added a complimentary shuttle from the airport to the resort as long as you made reservations in advance. A nice savings in time and money.

We got to the resort and since check-in isn't until 5PM we were stuck without a room for a few hours. They offered us free drinks at a few of the bars around the resort and used our time creatively, with our friend mr. margarita. =]

Finally, got to our room and it was better than ever: the main room had two couches, tv and a kitchen and each bedroom included a TV, queen sized bed, couch, and nice tub. The room was clean and well-kept, even the dipping pool was refilled once a day. The maid service came twice a day keeping the room sparkling.

Since we had been there before, we pretty much knew where to eat and last year the food was only average. This year however, the food was superb with great entrees from Green Break, Samba, the pool side place (starts with a "B" and I can't remmeber the name) but the best was Tumtah, which is right on the beach and perfect during the sunset. I recommend the beef tenderloin if you eat there.

Spent most of the days in the pool; sitting in the lazy river might be the most relaxing thing a to do. Forget your images of band-aids and floating diapers that you have from waterparks back in the States, this lazy river is immaculate. The pool is great and if you want to venture over to the HUGE Mayan Palace pool, no one is stopping you.

The beach was also cleaner than ever and the vendors will not bother you if you have your eyes shut or if you're sleeping. The water isn't great for surfing or anything of that nature, but coming from the Jersey shore it is a different feeling being in the Pacific.

The service everywhere is superb; bell hops are happy to take your baggage where it needs to go, taxis are there with set fares within seconds of needing them, the people at the front desk are great, and the waiters/waitresses are all very friendly.

As for night life, I have done the fiesta the past two years, but honestly it is not the most amazing thing I've ever been to. I've found that the Luna night (mondays) appeals more to the "get up and have fun" type of crowds. The Cobalto disco club is off and on, some nights, especially after the Luna and Fiesta, it will be packed fulling of dancing drunkards, but other nights you may walk in to find yourself the only person present. The "bouncer" at the front door, Aaron, is a great guy and very fun to talk to. Give him a shout out and he'll tell you some things about the hot club nights.

The resort has it all; dancing, great food, great service, aerobics, an incredible gym, easy to get out of, not far from town, massages, stores, a decent computer lounge, whine, cigars, jazz, sports bar, arcade, the list goes on.

I've been an owner all 3 times we've stayed at the Mayan resorts and they have never failed in impressing us. We want to venture out and explore other resorts, but the GM in Nuevo is simply one of the greatest resorts in Mexico.

Bring some extra cash, enjoy the pool bar, catch some rays, let everyone wait on you. It's your life, your vacation, live it to its fullest. And remember, "What happens in Mexico, stays in Mexico!" =]

• Stayed June 2006
27 Thank TheBlanket

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (814)
Burbank, Illinois
Reviewed June 22, 2006

I couldn't say more about this resort. The staff was wonderful! The rooms were well appointed, however they could use a dishwasher and a bathroom for the parlor area.
The pool area was gorgeous, I love the pool bars! They had a great lazy river and between the hours of 1&3 there is a wave portion of the lazy river.
The bell staff were some of the friendliest people I have ever met. Francisco, Alejandro, Tomas, and Martin were some of the best I have ever seen. Their service was so superb that you wanted to tip them and actually enjoy it! The maid that cleaned my room, Lourdes, was wonderful as well, everyday she greeted me with a smile and a hello, the room sparkled from her care. I worked in hotels for many years and to find people who genuinely enjoy their job and take pride is a rare find in the US. Anywhere else in the world it is a large sense of pride to work in hotels/resorts.
The only drawback to the hotel was that the prices for drinks was way over the top. I would pay that much in New York. The best thing to do is wait for the happy hours at the pool and elsewhere. Then it is not so bad. Also, the waitstaff around the pools need to be better organized. I had three or four keep asking me for drinks. Only one person should be assigned a station and they stay within that station, so you don't have 3 or 4 checks to close out.

• Stayed June 2006
11 Thank Parys
Omaha
Reviewed June 18, 2006

19 June 2006
My wife and two kids age 10 and 14 just returned from 8 days at the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta. We some how where able to do a time share exchange and got into the Grand Mayan sea side room with out first being a owner or going to the time share presentation first. We got to the hotel around 11:45 am and are room was ready. We had a one bedroom with an ocean view on the third floor it was a nice clean room with no major problems. The cooling pool on the deck we did use in the afternoons.

People are correct about getting towels out early in the morning my wife always gets up and reads and has a cup of coffee and quite time before the rest get up and would go down and put towels or rafts that we brought with us on chairs. Most morning between 7:00 am and 7:30 am and items would already be in place. Most of the time the people around us did show up around 12:00 when the pool activities started.

The pools where great the pool activities the kids loved and keep them moving and we all got into the games. The place is big enough if you don’t want the games you can go to a different pool with a bar. The pool activities staff was great. The lazy pool was real nice also being right there to use. The waterslide and wave pool the kids liked but, were closed the last two days for two weeks of maintenance. We took are own tubs and rafts to use some people where talking about the cost to rent the tubs. We gave the tubs to other people we meet to pass along down the line for as long as they last.

We eat breakfast in the room a light pool snake that does take sometime to get and then we eat out rotating eating at the hotel and off property every other night. Green break and Sambi where two good ones on property. Peep’s down town was good and the kids like Senor frogs also. A note always ask the cab how much to go somewhere before going a few of the cabs and large van cabs like to charge more than the going rate. 15 to 19 to go to town and about the same back. 3 dollars to paradise cove mall and that area. Wal-Mart is always busy but is the best prices on beer and bread and other items. I have no idea how long it would take to get around on a bus.

We had a great time until we went to check out. I have never had so much problems checking out of a hotel. The exchange rate was 1.40 and the hotel rate at the front desk was 1.30. When you go to check out all activities with your room number stop at that point. The kid where playing pool and we paid for that and it went to the room but we could not check finish checking out until the kids where finished playing pool. I gave up on trying to check out the night before and did it the next morning. The night front desk staff was more in to talking to each other and checking people in than fixing items on are bill. Yes every room gets charged for the bottle of water and they will take it off. One small item $5.00 for 30 minutes of Internet or $30.00 for the week to use the Internet with your own computer I thought was a little high. They charged you even if you where only on it for 10 minutes and no you could note care forward your unused time to the next trip.

The Time-share sales at the hotel is good for $100.00 and 15% off on food and drink only. They will work most deals with you and do what they have to get a check from you if you like what you see.

12 Thank West O
Agincourt
Reviewed May 1, 2006

My wife and I and 2 friends recently returned from a weeks vacation at the Grand Mayan in Nuevo. It is probably the best vacation both couples have had and we had a blast. Weather in April was perfect, the grounds and facilities were spectacular and it was hard to find fault with anything concerning this trip. We are new owners at this resort and our first experience staying here was wonderful. We must have had over a hundred different staff encounters and we only met courteous helpful people. I know others have mentioned rude people at the front desk but we have nothing but praise for the people we dealt with. Since our flight leaves home at 0600 hours and arrives just after 10:20 local time, possibly we hit the staff early in the day before it became more hectic and they became more frazzled. This sounds like a management writeup but we were very impressed with almost everything. Before I left Toronto I did my homework and read and made notes from all the TripAdvisor writeups for both the G.M. and the Mayan Palace. Since they are in the same area I figured that comments from both could be useful especially for off site restaurants, adventures and Puerto Vallarte experiences in town. As well, the G.M. patrons have use of all the facilities of the Mayan Palace so this resort is part of your domain. I recommend that you do the same as it will give you a feel for the resort and the area if it is your first visit there. You want to minimize your bad experiences and maximize your good ones and make the best choices for you without wasting your valuable holiday time. The previous reports have covered most of the bases so I will forego most of the information that has been covered before and concentrate on some of the smaller bits of info that may be useful.
Here are some of my Suggestions and Recommendations

Kitchen
1. Take a paring knike or 2 with you as you have only 1 large sharp knife.
2. There is only a coffee pot so a small kettle could be useful. We boiled water in a sauce pan for tea and hot chocolate
3.Take a plastic container for cold water or drinks. It can be filled with socks or clothing so it won't take up much space.
4. Take salt, pepper, sugar, peanut butter and jam in restaurant packages to save space. This prevents buying at Walmart and then leaving a supply when you leave. I took my own cereal for breakfast in a plastic bag. Oatmeal packs are also easy.
5. There is no small frying pan there so take one or buy one in Walmart ($5) if you use one often. More useful for frying eggs than the large griddle type skillet there.
6. If you have a bigger group using the room, possibly take a few extra knives, forks and spoons as we had only 4 forks.
7. Microdyn or another product to soak vegetables and fruits in before eating. Easy to do and cuts down the chances of getting sick. Available at Walmart. Useful at home too.
8. We took frozen Canadian bacon in a thermal bag, with frozen juice boxes as coolers in a small soft thermal bag. Great for egg mcmuffins.
8. No oven available. Stove top and microwave

Other ideas

1. Take small electric air freshener for bathroom. Glade from our drug store will do
2. Bring floats for lazy river. Only small one abouit 32" to 35" can be used on water slide. Bigger ones are better for the river. Free inflation where rental takes place
3. Buy pesos at home. Better exchange rate than likely will get in Mexico. Also when buying gifts etc you get a better deal using pesos than if you use UISD. Canadians can get a good rate of exchange at your local bank. Order them there. They take only about 3 days to arrive.
4. Senor Pepe's in PV for a great view and meal. Pepe is a gem. Our favorite night out.
5. Small waterproof case for door cards and, drink food receipts at beach oe pool
6. Small safe in room is really handy
7. Use kayaks, boats and train. Walk the longest pool in the world at the Mayan Palace
Well there it is. Hope this was useful. Remember that you cannot get into your room before 1700 hours officially. We were able to get in about 1400 hours. Take your swim suit in your carryon bag and use the pool before you get to your room. We ate at Greenbreaks for lunch and were happy with it but did not really enjoy our supper there as it was too expensive for what we got. Best rooms are on the ocean side on the upper floors. I never got tired of the magnificent view.

• Stayed April 2006