“Nice, but could be much better”

The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed January 25, 2014

The grounds and facilities are very nice, but there is a lot of walking involved. There is some noise from surrounding construction. The rooms are adequate, but not exceptional. The kitchen area is showing signs of age, I have been here several times over the last 10 years and there has been little improvement, but lots of decline. If you are an owner here, then you are familiar with the pressure to upgrade your ownership in order for them to greatly increase their profit. What bothers me most about being an owner are the outright lies you are told by management.
It has gotten to the point where I need to carry my original Deed and associated paperwork around with me continually verify my ownership to them. Their business approach is to hide their obvious illegal practices.
On another note, although their restaurants are good, they are terribly over-priced and they try to keep you captive on their grounds.

Room Tip: To have any kind of view, you need to be on third floor or higher. They save ocean view rooms for h...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank bmb11
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear bmb11 :

We are pleased that you chose The Grand Mayan for your vacation and thank you for sharing your review with us. We are glad to learn you thought our resort was nice, you enjoyed our grounds and facilities.

Comments like yours enable our continued pursuit of improvement for perfection on our daily performance as well as to maintain our facilities in the best conditions for our guests to enjoy. For that reason, this will be all shared with the appropriate areas as we are constantly striving to achieve the highest level of guest satisfaction. We would like to point out as well that our prices are competitive compared to other resorts.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Best regards,
The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta Management.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,630)

Reviewed January 23, 2014

My husband and two kids (ages 8 & 11) were fortunate enough to spend a week in the Grand Mayan Jan 4 to 11, 2013. We shared a beautiful 2 bedroom suite with another family. The unit was just as the photos show - lovely and super clean! The kitchen was great for left overs and KD for the kids - stove didn't heat up too well mind you. Bring your own coffee grounds & filters and coffee whitener or treat yourself to a latte from Samba's. We also brought granola bars and favorite snacks with us from home. The husbands went to Walmart by taxi for booze & mix, milk,bread, eggs etc and we were set for breakfast and snacks. I suggest you bring some ziplocs from home...missed these terribly for leftovers and packing snacks to the pool. Ordered the pizza twice to the room and the totally enjoyed it and not too pricey. Kids raved about the "cheese" pizza!
Having a picky eater I was concerned about what he would eat all week. He was thrilled with the chicken nuggets and fries he could get at any restaurant and we had the waiter by the pool bring us a fruit plate too! Hot dogs were a hit by the pool for the adults...my son couldn't understand why the weiner was stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon and grilled - yum!! ask for plain for a picky eater! We ate lunch twice at Eddie's place - you can easily walk there with kids. TIP - right near the Mayan elevators there is a short hallway that says employee's only - go down the hallway and out the door and voila, you are on the street near the security gate. The friendly staff showed us this trick. Getting around the resort is easy! i have no idea what people are complaining about unless they have mobility issues. The board walks are beautiful and the taxi stop isn't that far either - heck you will need to burn off the margaritas from happy hour anyways! (11 to 1pm 1/2 price drinks by the pool)
We had no problem with our room key bracelets and all room charges were correct. The plaza grocery store was pretty lame and over priced. Kids loved the frozen yoghurt bar.
Turtle release - you can purchase a wrist band from kids club for about $4 each to be able to release a baby turtle at sundown on the beach. Tix go on sale at 9:30 and go quickly. This was fantastic and even a bit emotional too.
Although we charged everything to the room next time I would take more paper money with us...taxi fairs and tips and the flea market in Buccerias quickly had me borrowing cash from my kids!! There is a bank machine if you get desperate.
Although the prices aren't cheap, were were surprised how low our room bill actually was.
The highlight for the kids was swimming with dolphins thru Vallarta adventures and us adults had a blast on the Rhythms of the Night boat cruise and dinner.
My only concerns were the chaos of the Puerto Vallarta airport upon arrival - close to 2 hours to get bags and thru security!! And secondly, the staff push carts out to the restaurants and bars around 7am...a little noisy when you've been indulging late into the night before!
We had a wonderful holiday and I would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Lori F
Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is the second time that I have stayed here. It has been a very positive experience. The rooms are wonderful, the staff is excellent, and the grounds are fabulous. On one occasion, I left a parcel in a taxi. I spoke to the concierge and she traced the taxi, the driver, and the parcel was delivered to me the next day. There was a scuba diver instructor on site. He gave me a one hour lesson in the pool. Then I booked an ocean dive and went down 40 feet. I have always wanted to scuba dive, but was afraid to try. I am so happy that this experience allowed me to do it. I had a wonderful chat with Bernard, who explained to me all of the hew things that are going on at the Mayan properties. He was very patient and clear with his explanation. He will also help me book future reservations, etc. he will be a very good contact to have.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for an ocean view room. The balcony IRS are huge, and you can enjoy the view from th...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Mary H
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We visited on a Interval Int'l exchange and there were no 2 bedroom suites available, so my kids and I had two regular hotel rooms. That made breakfast and snacks a bit more expensive, w/o a kitchen, but we still had a very memorable vacation. The resort has wonderful restaurants, beautiful beaches, and fun-filled pool activities. The downside was paying for wi-fi (really, $95 for a week of wi-fi for only two devices is a pretty stingy hotel practice) and paying $30 for using the in room safe is unbelievable! But the staff was warm and friendly, we had no pressure to buy a time share, and my kids and I really enjoyed the time we spent there.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor rooms, they are quieter and less mildew-smelling.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Joybabe21
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I was fortunate enough to be invited to join a couple of friends of mine who were travelling to this resort. We had a Master Grand Suite, with 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, jacquzzis in both bedrooms, as well as a dipping pool on the balcony.

It is definitely a beautiful resort. The only drawback is the way the hotel has decided to control the movement of people in and out of the resort. We were in a tower overlooking a street, which we were not allowed to walk out of the resort to. A restaurant we liked was about a 5 minute walk down the street, which backs onto several high end condo buildings along the beach, not a dangerous street. In order to go to that restaurant, we had to walk much further to get to it.

The resort is impeccably clean, the grounds are well taken care of, the way the pools are split into various areas gives a smaller feel to your experience, especially if you choose a smaller pool to sit next to. Access to the ocean is easy, with many chairs and umbrellas on the beach to use. The only drawback to that are the selfish people that get up early and place their towels on the best chairs, reserving them for hours before they even come to use them.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Cathy Q
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

We had one bedroom in the building closet to beach, very close to beautiful pools and lazy river. We ate on site a few times, breakfast buffet was good, the restaurant on beach was good, didn't have enough time to try them all out. Beach was nice, there are four or five restaurants less than ten minute walk away. Eddy's was really good coconut shrimp amazing, Guidos also very good, a great place! Happy hour also very good!

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Saskatchewan47
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed at Nuevo Vallarta 1 1/2 years earlier with friends and were very happy so my husband and I returned alone from 1/11 to 1/18/14. Friends who stayed there over the Christmas holiday told us that there were new transport arrangements since the resort had gone green but that it was organized and a short walk from where the taxis left you off to the front desk. When we arrived, we were dumped at what seemed to be an unmanned area though there were a number of workers standing nearby. No one gave any instructions as to what needed to happen nor did anyone offer any help. We were vaguely pointed in a general direction and told the front desk was over there somewhere. We started following another group of arrivals who seemed equally as lost as we were. After several minutes of walking through The Grand Bliss and dragging our luggage we arrived at a shuttle stop where, again, no one offered any directions or help at all. My husband has a heart condition and I'm recovering from recent surgery so this journey was difficult for what appears to be no valid reason. After a bit of yelling, a young lady showed up with a shuttle and loaded our bags for transport to the Mayan.

We'd requested a high floor and ocean view when we made our reservations. This was our first trip since upgrading our ownership the year before (and paying higher monthly dues, etc). When we arrived after a long flight delay, the front desk clerk checked us in quickly but when I asked if the room she gave us met our requests, she told me they didn't and informed us that we would be at the back of the hotel facing the parking lot. I refused and a manager came over to inform me that there were no other rooms available because they'd all been given to travelers who arrived earlier. After going around and around for more than 30 minutes, they gave us a front facing room on the first floor right in front of the lazy river entrance - noisy. The room was worn, had no jets in the jacuzzi tub, had paint spillage on the balcony, and broken tiles all over the splash pool on the balcony. We were told we'd have to contact the front desk the next day if we wanted to change rooms..but that it wouldn't likely happen because they didn't have anything else. When I inquired about changing rooms after the Sunday exiting folks checked out and before the Sunday arriving folks checked in, I was told that 'honestly, you don't have enough power' which made no sense until later. We called the next day and were told that we were on a waiting list but that it was long and no changes would be made. We were told to contact the reservation dept on Monday but they told us they couldn't do anything and it was a front desk matter. Ultimately, we gave up as we didn't want to waste any more of our limited vacation time trying to get better service and accommodations.

After a few days at the resort and several conversations with other guests, we came to understand what the 'not enough power' statement the front desk manager made actually meant - that guests who owned at The Bliss, Luxxe, etc. were being given the better rooms with better views than those of us with Grand Mayan ownership...AT THE GRAND MAYAN!! I cannot adequately articulate how furious we are with this practice but we are IRATE!! After we checked in, the activities and welcome person sat down with us and told us if we came to an owners breakfast that there would be a 'reservation specialist' that could tell us exactly how we could make sure we got what we requested (not for this trip, of course, but for future trips). When I asked him why Vida needed to assign a special person from a special dept to make sure that we, as owners, got what we wanted when we made our reservations, he had no response. Since we've been to several of those owners breakfasts and our activities director could offer no rational explanation to cover the obvious ploy of trying to get us to 'buy up' again so we could make sure we got simple requests like a higher floor and ocean view, we decided not to waste our time.

On checkout day, we received a call to our room at 9am followed up shortly thereafter with a visit from housekeeping telling us we needed to check out. Checkout time was at 10am and we had more than enough time without these measures. As seasoned travelers, we know how to abide by a hotel's policy. It was rude and unnecessary. We felt rushed and harassed and, after everything else, we left as angry as we arrived.

We won't be coming back to Nuevo Vallarta and we are in the process of canceling our ownership with Vida, Grupo Mayan or whatever they call themselves these days. They should be ashamed of the mentality that has led to such disrespect of their owners. It will not lend itself to any loyalty whatsoever - and we are loyal people who buy up regularly.

Room Tip: Take the timeshare presentation and demand an ocean front room. You will sacrifice 5-8 hours of your...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Shannon R
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

DearShannon R :

We are grateful for your taking the time to write a review about your experience while staying at The Grand Mayan.

We are concerned to learn about the inconveniences experienced while staying with us, as we greatly value our members. For that reason we were informed one of our Member Services’ representatives has reached-out to you.

We hope everything gets clarified. Your comments and suggestions are always welcomed.

Best regards,
The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta Management.