“Land locked resort!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Lakewood
“Land locked resort!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

The grounds and pool area are beautiful. But very difficult to leave the resort and all restaurants on site are very expensive! Would be tough to feed a family of four for a week. They do have kitchens in units. But very poor quality appliances and cooking utensils. So it is difficult to cook a good meal. Even something simple as breakfast. Unit was nice but two bedroom suite overlooked construction site so listened to jack hammers all day. Sister and her husband are owners and said they would not go back. Promises made at purchase did not match the reality at our stay. Talked to others guests who felt they had been lied to and had sold this timeshare and traded for another elsewhere in puerto Vallarta. Cost to get wireless internet access $95.00 (yes dollars!) a week.

6 Thank Jim B
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Jim B :

We are grateful for your taking the time to write a review about your experience while staying at The Grand Mayan. We are so glad you enjoyed our pools and grounds.

Your feedback is very important to us and we will gladly follow-up with the appropriate areas as creating ideal vacation experiences is our main goal.That is also why our resorts are constantly being refurbished and we aim to ensure that our facilities are in the best condition possible for our guests to enjoy.Lastly, allow us to clarify that that our prices are competitive compared to other resorts.

If we have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future, we hope to impress you with what we have to offer.

Warm regards,
The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
Redwood City, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Still here at the beautiful and lovely Grand Mayan. Leaving 11/16. Let me set this up for everyone. Hubby and I own 5 weeks of timeshares, 4 weeks of which are at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach in Cabo and are all 1 bedroom Suites... 5 star resort, we LOVE it there. We like to try new places every once in a while, ventured to Grand Mayan Cabo, enjoyed it, decided to trade a week of a 1 bedroom for a 2 bedroom at the Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta. We have plenty of weeks, love our resort, we don't golf or do excursions, enjoy the pool,that's it.

Long day of traveling from SFO, got delayed at both sides of the airport, so it just made for a seriously long day. Check in was lengthy, we just wanted to get to our room. Got our armbands that also serve as the room key, but wait, you HAVE to talk to the concierge and hear ALL about the deals before your armband will be activated. We went to the room, walked by the concierge, and got to the room, no love. Had to go back downstairs, argue with the concierge to get the keys activated, not his fault, he is just doing his job. I was able to get an upgrade to an ocean view and agree to go to the presentation OR pay $150 a night.. which we are totally willing to do (we had already asked about upgrades and had been told there were none left).

The room is gorgeous, not nicer than Pueblo Bonito by the way, and exactly as I would expect when trading as I did. The room was missing a map of the resort AND a room service menu though....

So, hubby and I agree to attend the presentation. We have been to quite a few, know EXACTLY what we like and don't like, and had agreed that we could leave at any time and just pay the $150 x 7 for the upgrade and enjoy our day. What's 90 minutes after breakfast?

We got the WORST guy ever. His name is Marc. Marc with a C. Middle aged with a mustache. Said he had been with the Grand Mayan company 20 years. However, he could not remember that we had JUST stayed at the Grand Mayan Cabo last August and literally asked us 4-5 times what our last vacation was, where we last vacationed, had we ever been to a Grand Mayan, and so on. He was not listening to a word we were saying. I told him several times we owned at Pueblo Bonito and were very very happy, and his answer was "in 20 years in this business I have never met someone completely happy with their timeshare company". That was his litany.
I had told him we were in a 2 bedroom, ocean view room, and he took us to a OCEAN VIEW 2 BEDROOM ROOM for a TOUR. No LIE! I could not believe it! I said "wow, this is exactly like the room we are staying in right now!" - because it was! He was wasting precious pool time on tour stuff which only told me he was not actively listening and going by a script. He was incapable of determining a direction that would have been for us. We were not adverse to buying, but we were adverse to wasting our time.

After that waste of time, he walks us through the resorts and shows us models of the current properties and explains that new properties are being being every year in perpetuity. ok. He said Grand Mayan is the only company in the world that allows you to exchange between properties. I said "nope, Pueblo Bonito allows you to do that too! we can go to any resort we want to!" He needs to get his facts straight.

Then we walk to the front of the building and apparently now are going to another building. I said I was done, Marc said I had not heard about the exchange companies, I replied that I know about them already, and his reply was "what do you know about them if you know everything". That was it.

It's been 105 minutes and I am done. He is not listening, lying, exaggerating, and insulting. At that point my husband said that he would be willing to continue with Marc or pay the $1050, but that I was going to the pool. Marc chose my husband and off I went.

My husband went through 3 more hours with these people. Marc continued to berate, insult, and lie to my husband to try to get a deal. He was unsuccessful.

We got to the sales center at 8:30. My husband left at 1:15. I went looking for him at 1:15, found Marc and his reply to me was " if you stayed with your husband you would know where he is".

My husband found me at the pool at 1:30, both exhausted by the days events. My husband recounted a few of the tall tales told: Expedia is where owners make a TON of rental money back if they don't go to the Grand Mayan. Expedia is not a Grand Mayan reseller, I already knew that. Marc told my husband that we would not have to declare income made off the rentals to the United States IRS. Pretty sure that's up to an accountant or professional.

At one point Marc challenged my husband and stated "it's always the people who say they have money who never spend any money" - trying to antagonize him.

My husband went quite up the food chain of supervisors, etc. The SOLE reason he/we did not BUY anything at GRAND MAYAN today was because of MARC. That's it. Had any other human being been the sales person, anyone else, anyone, who had a pulse, listened maybe a little bit, maybe heard that we had BEEN to the Grand Mayan before, we would have bought. THIS experience really put a damper on a lovely vacation. We will never attend another "presentation". We know where we love to stay and we will go there.

The other people around, quite lovely. Lovely resort, lovely food. But soul sucking presentation and tactics by Marc and that is quite enough.

Room Tip: It's NOT worth agreeing to a presentation for the upgrade to an ocean view. Pay the $150 per nig...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank anniecorbett
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear anniecorbett :

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are really happy you enjoyed our resort, the accommodations, our food options and most of our staff’s service. They all work day and night doing their best to help our guests enjoy their vacations.

As one of the most successful companies in the Mexican tourism field, we clearly communicate the terms and conditions associated with accepting an invitation to our sales presentation. Everyone - at free will, attends and we appreciate their visit whether they decide to acquire our products or not.

We host thousands of satisfied guests every week as well as attending them and we measure the caliber of our quality through several mediums in an attempt to improve on a daily basis. We do appreciate any feedback being provided to us and regret this highly exceptional occurrence, which will be thoroughly investigated since we strive to make each and every one of our guests feel cared for, appreciated and respected.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future to truly impress you with what we have to offer.

Cochrane, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We spent 7 nights at this resort from November 1-8. We stayed in a Grand Master Suite that contained 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a 1/2 kitchen. There was a cooling pool on the balcony that filled every morning around 8 and was drained every evening around 8 or 9 so you had clean water every day. The 1/2 kitchen allowed us to have breakfast and lunch in our room every day and we would go out for dinner every evening.

The check-in process was slow taking almost 45 minutes and after checking in we were sent to a different person to have our resort bracelets put on. This was done by the time share people who invited us to a free breakfast and offered a multitude of discounts for tours and at the resort itself. we told them we were not interested and after about 20 minutes we were in our room. our room phone rang a few times but we ignored it and by day 3 the calls stopped.

We took a cab to the Walmart in Nuevo and stocked up on food etc. to last the week. there is a store at the resort but it is very expensive so it should only be used as a last resort.

The grounds are amazing and very well kept. there are numerous pools and they are spotless. The lazy river is a must do during any stay there. We made use of it every day and loved it!!!

The staff were very friendly and willing to do anything to make our stay more enjoyable. We only ate at 2 restaurants at the resort. Gong (Asian) and the Italian/Steakhouse. The food was very good but pricier than the restaurants located a 10 minute walk from the resort in the Nuevo Vallarta harbour.

The only real complaint was that the beds were very hard making sleep somewhat difficult. I mentioned this while checking out and was informed that if requested housekeeping would install a foam pad on top of the mattress!!!!! that information would have been nice to now 6 nights earlier.

all in all we had a great time and would recommend this resort to anyone.

2 Thank Alan T
St. Helena, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

In April I visited this resort with my family and had a wonderful time (other than the time-share presentation which stole 4 or 5 precious vacation hours). This stay it was just my wife and I at the Grand Luxxe. Our room was spectacular even though it looked out over 24/7 construction with bulldozers and jack hammers going well into the night. The staff at this resort is really, really trying to deliver 5-star service and for the most part they deliver. I have been in the hotel business for 38 years and I came home with a list of fine-tuning I felt I could incorporate into my operation. Their intentions are on a par with Ritz-Carlton but their delivery was just a little off. Each floor in the Grand Luxxe sets up free coffee each morning ... with only one employee to service nine floors. The end result, no coffee unless you hit it just right. Each floor has its own concierge, very nice except each floor seems to go to lunch at the same time instead of staggering their lunches. A "guest stay specialist" called on our third day to make sure everything in the room was excellent. Great touch! He even set-up what time housekeeping would come for cleaning and turn-down, except housekeeping still skipped turn-down that same night. Anyway, they are really, really trying to do everything really well, they just have to continue to work on their execution.

Oh, and the food prices are way too high for the quality. Again, they are trying hard, but they are charging Michelin Starred prices for rather mediocre food. We went off-site our last three dinners and had some amazing food in downtown PV.

3 Thank James S
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a couple of days. We thought we were getting a great deal until we arrived! Cheesy entrance, over priced food, NO customer service, and DO NOT go to the "free breakfast"!! 4-5 hrs of our vacation wasted!!! We ended up leaving early without a refund because we were so disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Akgstraveling
Dear Akgstraveling:

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback about your stay at The Grand Mayan.

We are surprised to learn about the inconveniences experienced. Your observations will be shared with all areas concerned as guests’ feedback is important to us, and ultimately is how we measure our success.

Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Property is in much nicer condition than the one in Playa del Carmen. The Lazy River is very nice to just float through. We spent a lot of time on the beach, just watching and listening to the waves.
We found one of the pool bar bartenders who made an awesome Long Island Iced Tea. After all, isn't that what vacation is all about.???

The only bad things I can say are: the bed was about as comfortable as sleeping on a cement floor...... And, in our room the air conditioner smelled terrible. Even though we complained, we never were offered another room even though we were there "off season" and they had plenty available.

If you are going there, be aware that there is plenty of construction going on with plenty of noise during the day.

Room Tip: Try to get on the ocean view side. It is opposite of all the construction.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

My lovely wife and I are owners at The Sea Garden, which is at the lower end the Mayan scale. We love it there, close to the ocean, taxis, and outside dining options. We made reservations, got our confirmation, and arrived at the gate..did I say gate..?there was a gate because The Sea Garden was not open for the season..! The security guard asked the taxi driver to take us to the Grand Mayan. Upon arrival, we were told that they put us at The Mayan Palace, and we would have to live with the noise from all of the construction, plus the fact that getting to the ocean was quite a hike. So, if we wanted to avoid those issues, we could go to the feared and dreaded timeshare breakfast..! We were then promised two thousand Pesos credit on our room bill. We expressed our anger for not being told that The Sea Garden was closed, and how unhappy we were having to wait for the golf cart shuttle to take us around. We agreed to do the timeshare, and the sales person was new, and his supervisors saw that we were a lost cause..we enjoy a The Sea a Garden very much, love the location, and the access to outside dining. The Grand Mayan is a beautiful place, and we were glad to see Dionisio working at The Samba restaurant, he goes way out of his way to please.

Room Tip: Beg for ocean view..the lower floors look out to palm trees.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple