“Great Time”

The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just back from trip to Grand Mayan. The kids had a blast and so did the parents. The resort grounds are amazing and the staff were great. The pools and views are amazing. If you have kids this resort is a must visit. I have 2 active boys and they never got bored.

The best thing is the Turtle Sanctuary. Check with the Kids Club for tickets and you can release turtles in the evening. 27 pesos. Kids under 6 are free.

There are some negative reviews out there but do not let that discourage you. This is a quality resort but you will pay money for the location and quality. Remember that you will be in a tropical paradise. You will pay extra to eat and drink.. If you are used to eating at McDonalds, this place in not for you. I live in Portland OR and a quality dinner will cost you a lot. I also have kids so they love eating at Izzy's buffet because they can get it themselves, cost $12/adult and the quality leaves something to desire. We went to a breakfast buffet on the Mayan grounds and the buffet cost $20/adult with a discount for kids. Freshly made to order omelets and crapes and a great food selection. Cost was more than Izzy's but a better buffet and in an amazing location. Try this one out, I laid on the beach and watched the cook open flame a full Red Snapper for me. The cost was about $30 a kilo or about $15lb. This I thought was well worth it for the meal.

I had drinks a few weeks ago in downtown Portland OR, the view was great and the area amazing. Costs were $9-12 per drink. I had drinks last week at the Grand Mayan pools and Restaurants. Costs were $9 per drink but the view, temperature, and the pools were to die for. Try to check prices for a drink in Hawaii. Once again if you drink at the local pub back home, the cost for a drink here may seem expensive. You can also go shop at Walmart to offset some of the costs if you want.

I agree the timeshare presentation is long and timeshare scams ruin the adventure but you decide ahead of time if you want the gifts for the time. Plan for 4 hours of time but an hour of that is for breakfast. Read about the presentation from Amandatrip here on trip advisor. I agree 100% with her review. They promise the world and deliver a piece of poo with no amenities. To get everything they promise will cost you 100k. My warning is to not buy there are other better timeshare companies out there. If you do buy make sure you review your paperwork that night, it is likely VIDA the timeshare company left some stuff off. You have a few days in which to cancel.

I also agree with others that they make it very hard to leave the resort. If you believe the timeshare people, in the future this will only get worst. There will be a main arrival or departure area even longer away from the resorts and the roads to get a cab or bus. If you want to leave the resort be ready to walk a lot even to get a taxi.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better floors 5-9. The only way to gurantee ocean front rooms is to agree to times...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank RKPK
Write a ReviewReviews (3,641)

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Just want to share all the great time I had while vacationing at this wonderful resort, the room they give us had a great view and the service at the desk was very professional oriented, the room was greatly clean as soon as we got there and they continued to keep it clean daily with twice the room service a day, something that it's hard to find in other resorts, the staffing in the activity area are some of the hardest working people at the resort, got to give them lots of credit for making everyone there at the pool side have a great time. Also the servers in the pool area were very focus on keeping up with all the necessities that I asked to make my time by the pool enjoyable. The servers at the Santuario were some of the best if not the best I ever had, they're were friendly and very quick on having drinks and food at hand when asked for. There at the Santuario I had the best time of the whole two weeks of my vacation, the show they put on every night it's spectacular, been to Las Vegas lots of time and seen lots of shows but let me tell you about this one; the show runs for about four hours and every minute of it it's awesome, specially when J.C. comes and performs, She it's the best I seen as a singer and dancer, her show it's much better than any other show I seen and I seen lots in other places. She gives everything in each of her performances, every night you will leave the night wanting more, got to see it to understand what I'm trying to tell you, I hope you see it soon and enjoy it as much as I did, And over all this resort it's one of the best I been to, Enjoy when you visit and I can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Felipe A
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We took what was supposed to be a quick tour of the Grand Mayan in Neuvo Vallarta. We only went for the promised freebies, but left with a lot less money and empty promises. I don't think it is worth stepping foot on the property -- they will find you, wear you down, lie to you and take your money.

Because we had our kids with us, our salesman spent a lot of time pointing out the pools, lazy river and other nice amenities. Then we were shown a Jr. Suite -- separate bedroom, living room and kitchenette. We liked what we saw, but couldn't spend anything like the $$ they were asking. Then the second salesperson came in with a much cheaper option that was one building over at the Mayan Palace (small wave of the hand) and 1/10th of the price. We were assured that everything else was the same -- because we found it hard to believe that we could spend so much less for the same lovely accommodations and amenities. We were told it was a resell and they rarely have any but they had "grabbed" it for us -- and weren't we lucky. The salespeople then launched into detailed drawings of how our suite would be a "marketing" suite that they would buy back from us ever year and in only 2 years we would make our money back. We asked lots of questions and were given lots of assurances. What we didn't do was read the find print of ALL of the contracts. After it seemed all settled, my husband took the kids back to our hotel while I finalized. AFTER HE LEFT. I signed papers that did not in any way correspond to the previous 5 hours of sale.

It was not until 6 months later when we tried to make a reservation that we found out what we had actually bought. A hotel room at the Mayan Palace which does NOT allow access to any of the Grand Mayan amenities. Even after we looked over our contract, we couldn't figure out what had gone wrong. It was only after repeated emails with the customer support that they showed us the single line item that I signed that mentions the pools are not shared. And, our separate bedroom/living room kitchenette are being remodeled (no completion date in sight) so we therefore only qualify for a hotel room until they are done.

STAY AWAY!!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
19  Thank Amandatrip
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear Amandatrip :

We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your tour of The Grand Mayan.

As one of the most successful companies in the Mexican tourism field, we clearly communicate the terms and conditions associated with accepting an invitation to our sales presentation and for that reason; we are shocked to learn about the inconveniences experienced during your visit. Though, we understand the corresponding staff has reached out to you about this.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future and continue to impress you with what we have to offer.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Just arrived back home from 7 days at the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta. All I can say is - I'm glad there were 6 days to recover from day 1 aka "Timeshare Hell."
The minute you step off the plane and enter the airport, you get steered unknowingly to timeshare salesmen who make Amway reps and used car salesmen seem like nuns. Under the guise of getting you a taxi, they throw a margarita in your hand and start their nonstop barrage. After escaping from that we were hit up twice before even ending up in our prearranged taxi (through the Grand Mayan.)
Upon arriving at the exquisite and huge resort, we stepped up to the front desk, expecting the usual hotel check in process. But after getting assigned a room, we were told a young lady would give us our keys ( or wrist bracelets that are worn 24/7). This lady ended up being a timeshare salesperson who invited us to a free breakfast. Smelling a rat - we declined, but hearing "no" isn't something they accept. It took an hour for us to finally weasel our way out. They called a couple of more times that same day trying again to give us the sales pitch. Whew....
Ok - that was the bad part. The GOOD part is that it's really quite a beautiful resort with very nice rooms, an amazing group of pools and water features. The restaurants, though expensive, were very good. All the housekeeping staff, groundskeepers, bell men, spa workers, etc were incredibly friendly.
I can't say enough about the pools. With a 4-year old in tow, we used the great kiddie pool, 2 wave pools with beach like setting, a giant slide, and - our favorite - a lazy river that wends around the resort. Though we enjoyed a trip to the city, we could have spent each day in the pools.
Being a fitness fan, I thought the gym was top notch with a full weight room and numerous exercise rooms. My spin class was on par with some I've been to in the States.
Best restaurant on the premises? A tie between Blue Fish and Hamburgers Custom Made. Best word of mouth advise we got? Take a short walk to Eddies restaurant to save some $$, enjoy good Mexican food, and listen to a very good singer named Allejandro Havez.
So - if you can get past the travails of day 1, you will probably enjoy the rest of your stay.

Stayed: October 2013
6  Thank 760kurtb

Dear Kurt B :

We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan,and we are delighted to know you liked the pools, restaurants options, grounds and the gym. Thank you for your kind comment about most of our staff, as we consider them one of our biggest assets.

Rest assured that your feedback will be taken into consideration as it helps us improve our services. We are constantly striving to achieve the highest level of guest satisfaction and this is very useful to us.

We hope to host your vacations again.

With all good wishes,

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We reserved at the Sea Gardens. Got "upgraded" to the Grand Mayan, meaning that, as owners, we got to pay $225 more for a week in the same type room that we had reserved.

The entire goal of this facility is to trap you into being on premises and spending money. It takes a cart ride and a long walk to get to where you can get a taxi to take you to any external restaurant or shop. The internal market and restaurants are very pricy ($26 for a cheeseburger and fries).

The staff was very kind, but du to the immense nature of this facility, not as personal as our traveling partners are accustomed to at the Sea Garden.

The beds created back pain - think they are made of plywood!

For our second week, we moved to the Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta Marina and were much happier!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Bruce P

Dear Bruce P :

Thank you for the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan.

Rest assured that your feedback will be taken into consideration as it helps us improve our facilities and services. We are constantly striving to achieve the highest level of guest satisfaction and this is very useful to us.

We hope to welcome you back and really impress you with what we have to offer.

All best wishes,

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Some good friends own a time share with Grand Mayan. They invited my wife and I to split what sounded like an exceptional deal with them for 2 suites for the price of 1. Everything considered it was still a pretty sweet deal, but there were a LOT of surprises that we all felt Grand Mayan should have been up front about as part of the offer. Had our friends known more they would have chosen a different time for the vacation.

It turns out that September is maintenance month for this property! When we arrived on the property there was major construction going on everywhere. The fountains at the entry point were drained and everyday the walking route to get to and from the taxi area changed. When we got to the lobby of the Grand Mayan we found that the AC was shut off so, we all sweated like crazy during check in. The lobby AC remained off for the week we stayed. Our adjoining rooms seemed nice at first, except the kitchen faucet leaked and the toilets in the rooms ran constantly and didn't flush properly. When our friend plugged in her curling iron sparks shot out of the GFI and the power to both suites dropped until maintenance came to fix it. Over the first few days people were constantly showing up to perform maintenance tasks like checking the lighting, the plumbing, and to spray for bugs. We wondered why didn't they do this before we arrived? When we complained about the toilets the repair of the first one snowballed into a 4 hour ordeal before we requested our rooms be changed. The first room they tried to suggest was actually a downgrade to the Mayan, until our friends blew up demanding another Grand Mayan room. Aside from the inconvenience of having to move this definitely turned out for the better as the new rooms were much newer and had a nicer view. Oh yeah, they also shut off the hotel power for about 5 hours in the middle of the day, the day before we left.

One thing about the Grand Mayan is they have a fabulous property with lots of pools and water features. Our first day was a blast floating down the lazy river, until we were informed they were shutting it down for maintenance for 20 days!!! They also shut down the water slide and the wave pools. This was a real bummer because those features are big fun. We still had a good time with the ocean and the party pool and other pools, but our friends were disappointed we didn't get to play with the other attractions. Another unpleasant surprise was half the restaurants on the property also got shut down.

It was hard to get accurate information out of the staff. Information often conflicted from one person to another. And then there's the sales presentation to try to get you to upgrade. Our friends were livid about the closures and the room situation and still they tried to suggest talking about buying an upgrade. To rub salt in the wound the numbers they showed our friends weren't even close to how much they'd already invested! Again, their information was bad.

Having said all of that, we refused to not have a great time. The restaurants that were open were very nice. The waiters, bell hops, and maids were all very friendly. The party pool was a hoot. The ocean was fun. And our 2nd set of rooms were really nice. Downtown Peurto Vallarta is fun and my wife and I enjoyed an afternoon at the Peurto Neuva mall.

Room Tip: You definitely want ocean front and the view from the higher rooms is better.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank William B

Dear William B :

Thank you so much for commenting in detail about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are glad you enjoyed some of our facilities and we are grateful for your kind words about our overall staff’s service, as we consider them one of our biggest assets.

It is disappointing to learn that your experience was not satisfactory. Our resorts are constantly being refurbished as we aim to ensure that our facilities are in the best condition possible for our guests to enjoy.

Rest assured that your feedback will be taken into consideration as we are constantly striving to achieve the highest level of guest satisfaction and this is very useful to us.

We hope to welcome you back and really impress you with what we have to offer.

All best wishes,

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Traveled to Puerto Vallarta in low season (September 2013) to find many restaurants, shops and hotels closed. Unfortunately, the weather was humid and rainy :(
We were upgraded to the Grand Mayan because of closure...location was far less convenient than the marina location...accommodations were nice if you don't mind dealing with a hard sale sales presentation!! We heard much misrepresentation and misinformation...enough to make this location very low on our travel agenda!!
I found all of the shopping areas uncomfortable...too pushy and repetitive!!
A positive...we did find a restaurant by the beach at the GM we enjoyed...just had to eat before 7:00pm!

• Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank Becky15-12

Dear Becky15-12 :

We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are happy to learn you find our accommodations nice and you liked the restaurant by the beach.

It appears as though not all your expectations were met. All our staff has a strict regimen of training and supervision in order to provide the highest level of service our guests expect from us. This will be addressed by the appropriate areas as we always work hard to have a clear communication with our honored guests and we look to please them by making sure they receive all the benefits they are expecting to enjoy during their vacation.

We hope you visit our resort again so you get to enjoy beautiful sunny days in our private oasis.

Warmest regards,