“Loved it!!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
MN, USA
“Loved it!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2008

Our travel dates were 6/20/08-6/27/08. Our party had 9 travelers. Check-in was smooth. The timeshare person invited my wife and I to a "free" breakfast in return for a "short' presentation. She was very nice to us as she was giving us our bracelets for the hotel. But as soon as we said we were not interested, her face changed from being nice to being "you've offended me". They did not bother us once we made it clear to them that we were not interested in their "free" breakfast.

Many of the previous reviews mentioned construction noises. We did not notice any construction noises. We barely noticed any construction going on unless we looked at the golf course view. We had two rooms, same floor, but one had the ocean view and the other had the golf course and construction view.

The food at the resort was very expensive!! We managed to save a bundle of our budget by going to Walmart to shop and stock up on groceries. We had a lot of money left to purchase gifts for our families back at home. I would totally recommend people go this route if they are looking to save money.

The staff there were wonderful. Very friendly and helpful. Our rooms were very spacious.

The pools looked very clean, but if you pay close attention, it is actually dirty. There were stuff (dead bees, dead insects, and other small trash floating) floating in the pools. The pools were very open and we had no problems finding seats or areas to swim. Be careful about swallowing pool water accidentally. The wave pools were nice. The lazy river was awesome. The ocean was great. I noticed that the shoreline on the beach was a bit brownish in color due to a close-by rivier flowing into it. The beach and pools were quite a trip. If you don't mind walking, then it should not bother you. But I recalled a couple of times when we reached the beach and looked back at our rooms, the thought of the travel back to the room after a long day of exhaustion from sun bathing was not fun.

The peace of mind we got was priceless. I've been to the Flamingos del palmar and I would rather return to that one. Don't get me wrong, this was a very nice place and I'm glad I was able to experience it with my family.

• Liked — Wonderful staff, beautiful ocean and pool views, large rooms.
  • Disliked — Internet fees, expensive hotel food, distance from room to beach.
  • Stayed June 2008
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
keize, oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2008

We booked this through an RCI exchange almost a year in advance. We had stayed previously at the grand mayan near cancun as a couple and really enjoyed it. We thought that the puerto vallarta location looked very family friendly with a waterslide wave pool and lazy river. We were dissapointed when we arrived we found the wave pool and water slide as well as the kiddie pool all CLOSED for renovation. With an exchange it was too late to book anything else so we tried to make the best of it.
We arrived an check-in was a nightmare. They put you on a bus for a shuttle which was nice but they have 2 full bus loads of people coming in at the same time and when you arrive at the resort the line is out the door to get checked in. I think they must have all the check in days the same for all owners and timeshare exchanges. It took over an hour to check in. No water or bathrooms in sight. Kids were starteing to melt down from the long flight and the hot wait. We got off the flight at 3:40 and the bus didn't leave the airport till almost 5. It was after 6:30 by the time we got checked in and not a thing to drink.
We got started by going to otheir little grocery store and getting some basics to have in the room for snack and breakfasts. We were thinking the prices would be about double of what we pay back home because they are resort prices but not even close they are 4 times as much. We purchase a six pack of beer, a bottle of rum. a two liter of coke, a quart of milk , a lime, a loaf of bread, a small peanut butter and even smaller jelly, aand 2 small boxes of cereal and it came to 128.00 american. Almost better off to eat out at least you don't have to do the dishes.
The restaurants were pricey. Our family of five couldn't get a lunch for under 75.00 and that was just for hamburgers. It was 11 to 13 for a hamburger at the snack stands and 6 dollars for a drink. OUCH
Kids enjoyed the lazy river for about two days and got bored. They didn't open the wave pool or slide until our last day there. We actually arranged to go to another resort for half of our stay and just took a cab there so we could enjoy puerto vallarta.
It just wasn't what we expected for a family vacation. Maybe it would be better for couples. I just know I won't be going back. I can find a nice room almost anywhere.

• Liked — nice room
  • Disliked — amenities closed, price of food, and distance to get anywhere
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank starmariebt
Gulf Breeze, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a one week stay (6/15-6/22)at the Grand Mayan. It was perfect in every way! I have read some of the other reviews and cannot imagine anyone not falling in love with the place. We had a beautiful room and totally enjoyed the refreshing dipping pool on the balcony as we looked over the Pacific Ocean and the pools.
Yes, the ride into PV was 25 minutes but we enjoyed the scenery along the way.
The staff at the Grand Mayan were all so friendly and made us feel very welcome. It was fun each night to have our bed made in different ways and chocolates waiting on our pillows!
The restaurants were good. Our favorite was the Punta Luna. What a fabulous view and the Mahi-Mahi was superb!
Next time that we go we plan on buying a few more groceries at the WalMart so that we don't have to shop at the Sun Market on the resort grounds. We also found a nice very small market around the corner from the Sea Garden that was reasonable. It was beside the Nopal Beach Restaurant that had excellent authentic Mexican food for great prices! It was also a nice view of the marina.
I highly recommend this resort to everyone except young singles who are looking for a wild time.

• Liked — The gorgeous views from our room.
  • Disliked — Long walk to the beach
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FlGirl50
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2008

We traded into this resort through RCI and did not think it was as nice as any resort we have stayed at in the United States. The rooms and property were really nice looking. However, the cushions in the living area smelled like sweat and body odor. I don't think they have ever been cleaned. The bed was uncomfortable and the sheets and pillows smelled like sweat, too. We had ants coming in from outside and anytime a crumb fell on the floor, the ants found it. The food was also not the greatest and was pretty pricey. Now for the good things about it....The pool area was very nice. I really loved that you can lay on the stone lounge chairs in the pool since it was very hot when we went in September. We also bought a week membership to the gym/spa for $50. It had great equipment and a variety of classes. I loved the stretching class they offered. A guy literally stretches your muscles, and it felt so good. The wave pool was really cool and relaxing. Overall, this resort is above average, but it was just not the romantic anniversary trip that we had hoped for. DO NOT GO TO A TIME SHARE PRESENTATION IN PUERTO VALLARTA. IT TOOK US ABOUT 6 HOURS VERSUS THE 90 MINUTES THEY SAID IT WOULD BE. THEY PRESENTED US WITH A GREAT DEAL SO WE BOUGHT WEEKS AT THE RESORT, VELAS VALLARTA, AND WERE PROMISED THEY WOULD RENT OUT OUR WEEKS AND WE WOULD MAKE MONEY IN 6 MONTHS AND NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT AGAIN. NEEDLESS TO SAY, IT HAS BEEN ALMOST A YEAR AND WE HAVE NOT SEEN A PENNY OF OUR MONEY. WE WERE SCAMMED!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank browneyedgirl7
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2008

This is the perfect family place. Our kids loved the lazy river, the pools, and the big slide. Our room was a two bedroom, two bath with a patio. We spent many an evening on the patio watching the sunset. Although this is a large complex and not some charming little hacienda, it was perfect for what we wanted.
There were lots of activities and we found teenagers and little kids alike loved it. Bring a little flotation device for non swimmers as they will use them in the shallow pools or the lazy river.

There was construction on a new golf course but it was far removed from where we stayed so we didnt see it as a problem. We thought the sales presentation was perfectly fine and we did not buy anything. We were able to get out in about 3 hours but could have cut it shorter had we not chatted with our sales guy as much. He was very polite and likeable.

The food on the property is a bit expensive and the high end resturants we tried were not up to the standards we have here in the States. Stick with the tacos and nachos by the pool and you won't go wrong. And head in to town for a couple of meals. We bought a weeks worth of groceries and beer at Wal Mart for about $200 and had breakfast and lunch in the room many days.

All in all it was a prefect vacation and we will be back, kids in tow. I could also see it as a girlfriend getaway place. But it may be too family friendly for honeymooners...

• Liked — Pools, Pool Bars, Lazy river, water activities.
  • Disliked — Price of some of the resturants.
2 Thank TravelOneCalifornia
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2008

I traveled with my two daughters, ages 5 and 9, and my husband. We had won a week a at a timeshare at an as an office party door prize, so our room was free...and that was quite the prize to win!
We had an ocean view, one bedroom suite. The room was very comfortable and clean, and we ended up spending a lot of time there. The food at the restaurants was acceptable quality, but pretty boring and not of local fare. We thought the prices were reasonable for what you get, but it got too expensive feeding a family of 4. Being an avid cook myself, I would take a taxi to the Mega store, buy a bunch of groceries using the freshest local ingredients I could find, and we ate fabulously using the in our condo (the seafood was awesome). We would also pack a picnic and take it to the pool and the beach, and we had a great time doing this. My husband and I are wine enthusiasts, and we found a great deal on a decent Chilean white wine at the Mega super. We would often put the kids to bed and have a glass of wine on our spacious balcony...we brought candles and it was very fun and romantic.
We did use the Kids Club for our 5 year old, and she loved it, as well as put both kids in the pajama party on Thursday, while my husband and I had dinner at Punta Arena over at the Mayan palace. Again, the food was acceptable, but not fabulous, but we had a great waiter and a great view and the overall experience was pleasant. We took our older girl on the Veranos canopy tour, which we thought was very well run, and a lot of fun. The views were spectacular.
Aside from the tour, we mostly just played beach or swam in the pools. We made jewelry out of some shells and sea glass that we found, which to us was way more fun than haggling with the silver guy on the beach. We made our own meals, set our own schedule, made a whole lot of sandcastles, used the free boogie boards on the beach (my daughter broke her toe doing this, use caution!), and occasionally sat at the pool bar for some margaritas...which were really REALLY good, and strong--careful!
Overall--We had a really good time on our vacation, and this place allowed us to do what we wanted to do--relax and be together. But, we did not rely on the resort staff to facilitate our happiness. We avoided restaurants, construction, the train, the boat, taxis, busses, the "parties," parasailing, timeshare presentations and vendors. If you need a lot of personal attention from staff to have a nice vacation, this place probably won't meet your needs. But if you want an escape from the rat race, it is ideal.
One last word: A lot of reviews here complain about the lack of authenticity as far as Mexican culture. I have traveled all over Mexico and have close friends that live in Morelia. The fact is, The Grand Mayan IS authentically Mexican...in the same way that Disney World is authentically American. At our time at the Grand Mayan, over have of the families there were Mexican, doing the same thing we were, vacationing with their families. And the resort isn't necessarily catering to American needs and wants (ie authentic Mexican food) it caters to the needs and wants of vacationers from many different cultures, and I think that they do this pretty well.

• Liked — The room, the pools and the beach
  • Disliked — The food
2 Thank linzln
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

Where do I start? Ok - well the resort grounds are huge and absolutely gorgeous. On the week of June 13 thru June 20th - Myself, my husband, and my 2 sons (ages 15 and 6) were in a 2bdrm and my parents were 4 doors down in a studio of building 3. It is situated on Mayan Island which is comprised of private condo residences, a golf course, and 3 resorts (Sea Garden, Mayan Palace, and Grand Mayan). They are also in the midst of building a entertainment/shopping area called the "Riverwalk" (I hear it is going to be similar to San Antonio, TX riverwalk). This is said to be on schedule for completion by the end of the year. The Grand Mayan sits in the middle of the 3 resorts and is the most upscale buildings of the 3 resorts. The condos are huge and very nicely decorated. There are several different restaurants and all were decent. The water area at the Grand is SICK!!!! A bunch of pool areas, wave park, water slide, kids water park area. All are very nice and tons of fun. By the way - all of the pool areas are open now. The slide and wave pool opened back up on 16th. The beach area had plenty of chairs and papalas. The beach water? It is the pacific ocean so I know your not expecting clear water right..... Don't! Did that take anything away from this vacation? Heck no! Now - let me get to the most important part that will hopefully relieve some of you readers. After reading many reviews - I was under the assumption that my bill was going to be extremely expensive when settling up at check out. I kept track of all of my receipts to ensure that their were no phantom charges - and there wasn't really except that infamous bottle of water that seems to get everybody. Let me just say that I walked out of there after a week feeding 3 adults and 1 child and my bill was not even $800. I could not have been more pleased. We ordered tons of room service, ate at Cafe de Lago twice, Greenbreak 3 times, Samba, Rouge, Ola Mulata snack bar, pool area ordering, and Tramonto. There is also a nice internet area called "The Studio" which charges $5 for 30 min, $8 for 60 min, or $40 for the whole week. About transportation. The resort does offer free transportation from the airport to the resort. You just need to contact the resort at least 48 hours in advance. They do not pay for the return trip by heah - one out of 2 ain't bad. The cab fare back to the airport runs $12 (up to four people) and $24 (5 persons and up). I really could go on and on, but I will leave room for your personal opinions once you get there. All I know, is my family and I will definately make a return visit in the next couple of years.

2 Thank TravelGuru1