“Not all Rooms Created Equal”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nuevo Vallarta
The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed April 18, 2008

We just got back from a 6-day stay. We swapped for a one-bedrrom through RCI.

I'll start by saying that this hotel has a lot going for it, but please read to the end for the full story.

The pool -- This is the most amazing pool complex I've ever seen. My kids, ages 8 and 10, my husband and I particularly enjoyed the waterslide, wave pools and lazy/wavy river. The kids were in the water all day, every day. It was nice that the none of the pools were over 4 feet deep. My husband and I felt like we could read/relax while the kids swam nearby. We never sat by the activities pool, but the grown-ups who did all seemed to be having a very good time.

The resort, including the rooms, is very clean. Also, the staff is very attentive and polite, if not always helpful. We stumped a concierge when we asked him where to find good Mexican food. He said there was none to be had in Nuevo Vallarta. We were not pressured to attend the time-share presentation. We initially declined, and got only one phone call during the week.

We did have a couple of good Italian/American meals at Tramonto's. I recommend the beef tenderloin -- it was delicious. We tried to go to Green Break for dinner, but children under 12 are not welcome. We ate all lunches poolside. It was always easy to find a waiter to bring it to us. Because the kids were tired after splashing around all day, we ate almost all of our meals at the resort. We had two dinners off the property. We had pizza at Guidos (pretty good) and seafood at La Laguna (tasty, but got many mosquito bites sitting next to the lagoon).

And now to the rooms:

I would not come to this resort if you cannot get an ocean view.

I'm a fairly easy-going person and I like to relax on vacation. The noise in this hotel made that very difficult. We spent the first four nights with a parking lot/street view. I don't care much about the view, but the noise level was loud and constant. We arrived at 7 p.m. on Friday to jackhammers. A fleet of buses, which bring the employees to and from work, runs from 5 a.m. to midnight. They beep like crazy when they back up. In addition, car alarms were going off at all hours in the parking garage. My husband spends 100+ nights a year traveling, and he said this is the noisiest hotel he has ever been in.

Amazingly, we were able to switch to an ocean-view room for our last two nights. It was like being in a different hotel. We were shielded from the construction/road noise. Also, the room was better equipped than the other one we had. It had a sponge, kitchen trash can, and cork screw -- things the first room didn't. We were even given a fruit basket! Also, the maid did our dishes, which didn't happen in the other room either. All rooms could benefit from a screen door. That way, we could have enjoyed the fresh air outside without the bugs (more mosquitos!).

Much has been made of the uncomfortable beds in other reviews. The beds were fine, but the pillows and the couches were horrible (fine for sleeping, but bad for sitting). Also, be aware that all one-bedroom units are smoking units. Smoking is also allowed all over the pool, and many people were taking advantage of the opportunity. Those of us who don't smoke found it stifling!

We ate almost exclusively on site, and both of my children came home with a touch (or more) of "Montezuma's Revenge." We've eaten all over Cabo three years in a row without this happening. We won't be rushing back to the Grand Mayan or Nuevo Vallarta.

4  Thank Vacationer88
Write a ReviewReviews (3,738)

Reviewed April 16, 2008

Stayed at the Grand Mayan from April 5-12, The resort is beautiful, with amazing pools, etc. We were late checking in 2AM, and got a beautiful oceanfront room on the eighth floor of building 3. We recieved our "golden" bracelets upon check-in and recieved a phone call promptly at 8 am every morning after checking in to see if we had picked them up, and every morning, when I said we had, they would ask who gave them to us, and ask if we wanted a free breakfast. We disconnected the phones at night on Wednesday to ensure no "wakeup" phone call. The first nite we went to the Sea Garden at Sumba (or Rumba) for a dinner with the sunset, the concierge told us it was ala carte,only to be informed it was mexican buffet nite.) After deciding to go to Taco Break (in heels) we walked along the walkways to be told we had to walk on the beach as this was the only access to Grand Mayan, then we were told to walk the front road to Taco Break, what a hike!!!! Not to be attempted in heels, we relinquished early on and retreated to ,Samba the poolside restaurant, the prices surpassed the prices from our recent stay in Naples, Florida at the Ritz-Carlton, We returned to our room for room service, don't even consider the chicken parmesan,, chicken nuggets from Mcdonalds have more nutrition. On Monday we went into Puerto Vallarta, and had La Dulce Vita, very good and decent prices, ( We have two carbo queen daughters.)
We met Fernando on the beach and took a tour thru Vallarta Sol, he recommended we take the los arcos, quizmoto, waterfall tour versus the las caletas beach tour, as we didn't like crowds and liked to snorkel, surf, etc. MMMMMM the tour was from 9:45 -4. We left at 10:30, the snorkeling at Los Arcos, was filthy with bird poop every where in the water, not to mention the water is so murky you cannot see a thing. the tour was crowded and quixmoto beach was small, full of parasailors and jetskis, etc. the waterfall was kind of neat, although it was $15 extra to ride a horse to the falls, surprisingly most patrons rented the horse, they were unruly, and had hoof issues, red eye, needed water, foaming mouths, I cannot say enough, we are animal lovers and live in the bluegrass, we walked and were covered in dust, but the falls were pretty fun to slide down and jump from up above into fresh water. The most disturbing was our boat returned at 7:45, The long ride home included a 13, 15, and 17 year old drinking to a drunken stupor, while their parents encouraged two of the girls that could stand to do traditional mexican dances for all of us. Even our sons 17 and 15 were disgusted. Our maid Jessica was the best, she did the dishes every day and left our room spotless. One afternoon, we got hagan daz ice cream, for 6 cones, it cost $54. Avoid the hagan daz cottage, On the last nite we tried to order pizza thru the hotel, the map shows pizza ordered thru sea garden, they said we must be a sea garden guest to order pizza, I see where someone got dominoes delivered. I even called the concierge at Grand Mayan, they said the closest pizza was Guidos. All in all a good place, not recommended for teens, or for the restaurants, pretty far from puerta vallarta, the beach is rocky and the water is murky with trash, the pools are great, but very hot and crowded, with much noise. We have been to Cancun and the Mayan Riviera four times, Cabo and La Paz. We will return to the Mayan Riviera with its beautiful cenotes, and inlets with crystal clear water for snorkeling. The Grand Mayan has the look, but nothing much else, it seems all for show.

2  Thank bninny
Reviewed April 16, 2008

This is a very large resort, lots of walking, we stayed in a deluxe room with a crapy view, very noisey, no coffee maker, no smal fridge, no room service, so if you want anything in your room plan ahead, pools looked like fun and the beach was good, but I was very put off by the ambience, it was not appealing to me at all. When I travel outside of the USA, I want the hotel to feel like I am in the country I am visiting................That is why I travel.
As always the help is very nice and that is what love about Mexico.......................There is so Many large groups walking around getting the timeshare sell, it is sooo wierd....................Not what I want to be around on my vacation, I am glad that I did experance it tho. I was bookd for 3 nights but only stayed 1 night, there are a lot of resorts around with much better value and good old holiday fun............

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2008

Went with my wife, 13 year old daughter and 17 year old son and it's the first trip we took where nobody wanted to come back home!! What can I say, we had a blast and can't wait to go back. We were there from April 4 to the 11th.

We arrived at the airport at about 1:30 PM and breezed through security and into the shark tank. However, after reading a few reviews we knew what to expect, so we just ignored the timeshare people, and there were alot, and headed out to the front of the airport. We asked the security and aiport staff about the taxis and they both advised us to cross the highway, via the walking bridge, and catch a cab on the other side. They explained that they would be cheaper and more trustworhy. We did this and got a cab the moment we hit the other side of the highway. We had more bags than the cab should have probably been able to hold, but the cabbie was resourceful and made it work, all for 11 dollars.

WHen we arrived at the resort we were initialy impressd by how well the golf course and grounds near the entrance were maintained. At first, we were worried it would take forever to get checked in, because of the amount of people that had arrived at the same time. However, check in was a breeze and only took about 15 minutes. Our room wasn't yet ready and we were told to return in about an hour for the keys. Our luggage was being held by the bell boys and would be taken to our room once it was ready.

We were sent to a nearby desk to get our wristbands and the timeshare presentation offer. The lady was very nice and respectful and had no problem when I said no thank you. She also had some informative materials she gave us regarding our stay.

While waiting for our room we went out to the pool area and were amazed. It is absolutely beautiful and well maintained. We ate poolside at the Samba Restaurant. The food was good and cost about $10.00 per person. The Margaritas were huge and two for one during happy hour.

We finally got into our room at about 4:30 PM. The room was also very nice and roomy. The kids had their own bedroom and bathroom and the kitchen and livingroom were nice. We stayed on the 7th floor in the building furthest from the parking garage and facing the golf course. We also had a nice view of Puerto Vallarta and it's bay. The beds weren't the softest, but I really don't have any complaints about the rooms. My daughter used the dipping pool out on the balcony a few times, but it really didn't get much use.

The best part of the resort is definitley the pool area. We spent lots of time in the lazy river, the wave pools and the pool areas that had swim up bars. The lazy river had rapids running from 1-3PM that we could not get enough of. The beach was nice, but the water was very cold.

There wasn't much night life at the resort and their one club, which is located at the Mayan Palace, was dead most nights.

Besides eating at Sambas, we also ate dinner at Tramontos Italian style restaurant at the Grand Mayan and also at Green Break. Neither of which impressed me and both were over priced. On our last day, we ate at Taco Brak, which is located near the entrance to the Grand Mayan. The food was cheaper and BETTER than the other restaurants at the resort.

We also ate dinner in PV at PIPIS. The atmosphere was great and the food was very good. The margaritas are good and huge. We had lunch in PV on thebeach at BAR LOS BURROS. The food there was decent and it was nice eating on the beach. The best restaurant we ate at was in Las Bucerias, CLAUDIOS at MESON BAY. Its right on the beach and the food was terrific. On Friday night the special is an all you can eat Mexicn dish, with various different Mexican foods and all you can drink Margaritas for 20 dollars. On Wednesday night its all you can eat barbecue for 14 dollars. Im talking steaks, ribs, chicken, sausage and carne asada. Me and my son left very full and very happy!

Our first night there we took a taxi to the MEGA supermarket, which is closer and cheaper to get to. The market is just as good and same prices as Wal-Mart. We spent about 90 dollars and ate breakfast and most lunches in our room. We also made our own drinks and beers to take out to the pool.

On Monday we went on the Los Veranos Canopy tour. It was awesome and I highly recommend it. We booked it on line and got it cheaper, $67 for adults and $49 for kids 12 and under http://www.puertovallartatours.net/las-juntas-y-veranos-canopy-tour.htm.

On Wednesday we went on the ATV Jungle Trek tour. It was average only in that we traveled much too slow for our liking and there were too many stops. We love ATV's and will probably try a different one next time. $90 for two person ATV and $72 for single rider. Best part of this day was eating at a small restaurant near ATV office. Quixtimo is about three doors down and the food was reasonable and excellent tasting, especially the shrimp tacos.

Most days were spent at the resort and in the pools. On Thursday night we went to the Mexican Fiesta on the beach, $173 dollars for four. The food was excellent and we enjoyed the show and open bar.

We did spend some time in PV, but I was not impressed. The stores are over priced and it seems that every tourist town in Mexico is exactly the same. Also, the taxi ride to PV ranges from $16-$18 one way. The bus ride is much cheaper, but a little longer.

So basically the only negative I can think of is the resort's proximity to PV and the cost of a taxi ride, but there really isn't much reason to leave the resort anyway, unless you are going on an excursion or want to see PV.

I should also note that I felt very compfortable and safe at the resort and had no problems letting me son hang out with other kids late into the night. My daughter is a little younger and spent all her time with mom and dad.

As far as the construction goes, it didn't bother us at all and we sometimes slept in till 10AM with no problem. And because wer're really not the lay out types, we didn't have a problem finding a lounge chair ever. We only needed one or two to put our things on and always found some anytime of the day. However, if we were lay out types it would have been hard to find four chairs together unless we wanted to layout away from the pools.

4  Thank giraiders81
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Just got back from a week stay at the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta. Before arriving in Mexico, I had booked for a private car to pick us up at the PVR airport and a tour through www.puertovallartatours.net. I booked the car and driver for 4 hours for $120 and he picked us up and took us sightseeing, grabbed some lunch and did some shopping at Walmart before he took us to the resort. Our driver, Carlos spoke good English and took good care of us. It was well worth the money. Yes the timeshare sharks were out there as you exit customs, but just ignore them. If you want to take a taxi to the Grand Mayan, just go to the Taxi counter inside the terminal and speak to the ladies behind the counter. The prices are fixed with signs posted telling you the exact amount. I scoped out the counter when we left and I think it was around $25.

Checking in on Sunday around 4:00 PM was a breeze. We walked right up to the counter and provided our reservation paperwork. We were at the counter for 5 minutes and they sent us to the timeshare people to get our wrist bands. The lady tried (nicely) to get us to listen to a presentation, but we cordially declined. We were with her for about 5 minutes and we were on our way to the room.

We were assigned to a 2 bedroom suite on the 5th floor, rooms 3534 & 3536 (facing the parking garage / employee bus area). The rooms were clean and spacious. The kitchen had all the things you need to cook a small meal. There was twice daily room cleaning. Everything worked, except the electrical outlets were odd. You could not plug two things in, even though there are plugs for two. The plunge pool, which we did not use had no obvious switches to turn on or off. For the first three days we were there, there was no water (empty). Then when we returned to the room on the fourth day, the plunge pool was filled with water. The beds were kind of on the hard side. The bed in the master suite was better than the bed in the second bedroom. It seemed all the couches had trundle beds and you could sleep 12 people in the 2 bedroom suites. There were plenty of pillows and blankets.

The pools….. What can I say. WOW…… There are so many different pool areas with none more than 4 feet deep. You have the 2 wave pools, the big slide in the middle and the lazy river. We pretty much just kicked back at the pool everyday. When you check in, they give you a packet and inside, you will find a towel card. Each day, you need to give the towel attendant your card and she will keep the card until you return the towels. If you don’t, they charge you for the towels. Oh yeah, there is a beach there also with more palapa’s then I can count. Servers are everywhere if you want a drink. We only ate lunch onsite twice at the Ola Mulata snack bar. It costs approx. $10 a person for lunch. The nachos sucked, but the chicken wings were good. The fish ceviche was good, but the seafood cocktail was awful.

For dinner, we ate out mostly. The Taco Break, which is a 10 minute walk had great tacos. It costs about $7 to $10 per person. For about $6 you can order the taco special and they give you 6 tortillas to make your own taco. It has carne asada, bell peppers, onion, mushrooms and yum yum bacon. Taco Break is located near the entrance to the resort complex.

We ate at Guido’s for dinner one night (near the Sea Garden) and I think the shrimp cocktail was bad. The other half got sick. The pizza and pasta were good and the price reasonable. $20 to $25 a person. It is about a 5 to 10 minute walk from the resort. 8 Tostada is also nearby with decent food. It is about 50 yards from Guido’s. We didn’t eat at this one, but ate at the one in Puerto Vallarta.

Between Sea Garden and Guido’s, there is a bus stop, where you can catch an open air Turistico Bus for free. It takes you basically to the other side of the marina and it makes a loop in about 30 minutes. It comes every 20 to 30 minutes. It will take you to the Paradise Plaza, where there are some small shops. This is also the best bus stop to catch the ATM bus to Walmart or transfer from there to downtown Puerto Vallarta if you don’t want to pay the $16 taxi ride into town.

We took the taxi into town several times and ate at Cilantro and Archie’s Wok. Cilantro’s was interesting and it costs about $25 to $30 a person. The food was nicely presented and I liked the taste. They had French fries with cinnamon sprinkled on top and it actually tasted pretty good. The shrimp dish was excellent, however the drinks were a bit on the small size.

If you like Thai food, Archie’s was awesome. Great food, drinks and atmosphere. It is located in old town near the water front. Prices were about $25 to $30 a person. It should be noted, none of the prices I mentioned include alcohol.

We took a taxi ride up to Bucerias for $11 and ate at the Tapas del Mundo. Jorge and his girls were great. There is an open kitchen and you can sit at the bar. They prepare and cook the food in front of you. The tapas were tasty and generally costs $3.50 a piece. The shrimp in the chili, oil and garlic was one of the best I have tasted. None of the items were more than $10. The Ceasar salad is freshly made and it is interesting watching Jorge make the dressing. For dessert, the banana flambé was a treat If you go, remember they don’t open till 6:00 PM and are closed from May to October. Jorge also offers a cooking class during the day, where he teaches you how to make the tapas. www.tapasdelmundo.com

While at the Grand Mayan resort, we rode the mini train and boat to the sister resort, Mayan Palace. The train comes once every hour and the boats come by every 20 minutes or so.

For laundry, even though they advertise self service, it will cost you $6 a bag. I took a 22 inch carry on downstairs and the ladies charged me $12. I guess it must have counted as 2 loads. Also there are no self service grills downstairs, where you can grill your own meat. They want you to spend money at their resort.

Everyone was generally nice at the resort. Service was good and everyone tried to please. The real only complain I have is that where they put the bus stop for the employees is really in a bad spot. The employee bus area is between the parking structure and the last building on the north side of the resort. They shuttle their employees in and out of the resort at different set times. At 11:00 PM, around 4:30 AM and around 7:30 AM, you will hear the busses arriving and leaving. You will know they are leaving, because they all make that beep beep beep noise when they are backing out. It woke me up just about every night. Strictly bad planning on their part. Other than that, it was a good stay. It was a $12 taxi ride to the airport. The family enjoyed it and I’m sure we will be back, just not sure if it will be next year or not.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank M L
Reviewed April 7, 2008

We exchanged a one bedroom we had banked with RCI for a two bedroom at the Grand Mayan. It had been over 12 years since we first visited Puerto Vallarta and Nuevo was just being built up back then. The resort was very nice 5 star, contemporary furnishings, large units, upscale baths, lush landscaping and lazy river were nice. The entry foyer was very dark with large mayan statues for some cool photos. Parking was available in garage, but we used valet service for the week for a small fee. Restaurants were good, and they even cooked the fish we caught for us. Beach ok but not the white sand I am used to at home (Ocean City, MD). We stayed at the pools when not fishing. If you are up for an excursion or want to go fishing, head up to Punta De Mita and visit Margaritas restaurant. They have awesome food, and service. They will cook your catch as well. In Puerto Vallarta we frequent Pipi's, great food, service and margaritas.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank scurt10987
Reviewed April 6, 2008

The Grand Maya is amazing!

We stayed for 5 days and had a perfect vacation. The resort is beautiful, immaculate and the service was great too.

We travel with two families, kids ages 13, 10, 6, 5. The 'water park' setting of the resort was so great we had trouble getting the kids to leave to do anything outside of the resort. The wave pools and water slide were fun, but the most fun as the lazy river between 1-3pm when it became a WILD river ride with waves.

We booked via a travel agent and were in building 3. In speaking with other guests, you will not get an ocean view unless you are an owner. However, we were very happy with our view and despite being right over the construction zone, we were never bothered with any noise.

As we knew from reading the TripAdvisor reviews, the beds are FIRM. In fact, the only problem we encountered on our trip was the fact that the pillows were horribly hard. Repeated calls to the front desk for softer pillows failed. We ended up using clothes stuffed in pillowcases!

Dining :
The hotel breakfast buffet was wonderful and fairly priced. If you are traveling with young children, make sure to tell the waiter their ages as our younger kids were only charged 30 pesos (about $3) for breakfast.

We had dinner at Si Senor's and it was magnificent. Order their Agave Tequila Blended Margaritas – AMAZING. We also enjoyed a wonderful lunch on the beach at Bucerias. When we grew tired of the room service menu, but the front desk connected us to Domino's Pizza which delivers to the front of the hotel.

If you have kids, visit the 'paint your own pottery' place. The prices are very inexpensive and with the 'touch-ups' provided by the owner of the stand, your kid's masterpieces will look so good you will want to bring them home. Our kids did this everyday and loved it.

Our big splurge while there was to swim with the dolphins at the Dolphin Discovery Center. Expensive but worth it! Ask for a package deal on the photos at the end. We got all photos of our 8 experiences (over 300 photos) for $250.

Check-out Tip:
If your flight is leaving in the afternoon, you can check out of your room and reserve a "hospitality suite" for showering later in the afternoon. They store your luggage and you can play at the pools until time to depart. There are limited time slots, so make sure to sign up the night before you check out to get one that works.

We were never once pressed to attend a timeshare presentation so a polite 'no thank you' when you check in should work!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family