“Mexican Vacation”

The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed for a week. The room was large and clean. Nice view of the ocean. The food at the fancier restaurants were really good. The lunch places were only ok. Overall service for the dinners were great, for the lunches they were very slow!

Room Tip: Eat breakfast between 7-8 for the discounted price. Rooms farther away from the elevator are quieter...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Melanie S
There are newer reviews for The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We just returned from the Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta 10/26 - 11/2/12. The staff was wonderful, the grounds were immaculate, the food was delicious, and the rooms were comfy and clean. We stayed in a two bedroom suite in one of the remodeled towers and yes, it too had the Mexico funk, but housekeeping was terrific and our rooms were always spotless. If you are uber sensitive to smells like I am, pack a good candle or some air fresheners. The beach was well tended, perfect for kiddos and adults. The wave pool, slide, and lazy river were hours of endless entertainment! Walmart was a quick taxi ride away and convenient to stock up on goodies for the week. We highly recommend Gong for Asian cuisine located on the property, Prime 159 for American cuisine located near the entrance, Pepe's tacos by Pemex for local fare, and Dolce Vita in Puerto Vallarta for Italian food. The boardwalk in Puerto Vallarta was full of nightly entertainment and Mexican wares; we were comfortable, entertained, and well fed! Our experience in Bucerias was definitley not worth it...many people selling cheap wares, the beach was littered with trash and dead puffer fish, and overall we felt incredibly uneasy. On the property, we did sit through one of the dreaded timeshare presentations to get an "ocean view", free breakfast, and 10% off our services at the resort....it was painful as always, but worth it and we just kept saying "no". If you can, try to get Janet's section by the pool, she was an amazing server! Cruz was the best waiter ever at Gong! We had a wonderful time and would go back in a heartbeat!!

6  Thank k c
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We had booked 2 rooms at the Seagarden and called 2 days before to confirm that everything was okay. When we arrived, we were told that the Seagarden had been under renovations (and closed) for the past 6 months. The lies did not stop there. After 4 hours of "discussions" with several different managers, repeatedly refusing to accept timeshare presentations in exchange for an ocean room and numerous promises of just 5 more minutes, we received a wonderful room with kitchen, dining area and a pool on the balcony overlooking the property. As the days floated by, we became more relaxed and thoroughly enjoyed the selection of pools, bars and friendly staff.
We dined in 4 of the restaurants, Italian, Cuban, Mexican and Asian.
The Italian one had some items that were good but others that were not. For example, the sauce on the Pasta with mussels was very tasty and rich, while the calamari was overcooked and tough. Do not buy the wine flight as 2 of them are undrinkable. It was quite obvious that the staff were not very well trained. However, the manager's response to a hair in my food was met with an acceptable response of no charge and a free dessert (tiramasu).
The setting of the Havana Moon (now called La Puerta something) is outstanding. We dined right on the waterfront and despite having to use the provided insect repellent, enjoyed the setting and the food. Tha pasta was especially good and the wines were very tasty.
The poolside Mexican restaurant was very disappointing. Terible calamari, quesidillas and warm beer. Pass on this one.
The worst evening was at the Gong, an asian restaurant. We had to send back 2 of the four dinners, the crab appetizer was cooked to death, the shrimp tempura was way overcooked, and the coconut shrimp soup was disgusting. Fortunately we found a wonderful Cabernet for only $490Mex.
The prices in all the restaurants were not outrageous but were still too high for the quality of food and service. Most meals were $250Mex or about $20US.Drinks at the pool were $80Mex but every day was a different 2 for 1 special. (alternating through rum, vodka and tequila)
We also tried the poolside nachos, tacos, quesidillas and hamburgers. Again, it was okay, but nothing special.
The room was kept very clean, TV service is sparse (no bill available on your TV) Internet access was expensive ($170Mex per day) and the balcony pool was a bit green. The pillows and mattress are hard, but tolerable. If you're looking for place to sit by the pool every day and have kids who enjoy wave pools and raft rides, this is not a bad spot. It is not a 4 star resort.

Room Tip: we stayed on the 6th floor in the center building overlooking the ocean. beautiful sunsets.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank calvinater1
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Upon reading previous reveiws, I felt I compelled to submit my reveiw. We stayed May 25 - June 2, 2012. First off the rooms were tastefully decorated, very clean and yes, there is a mildewy smell, as there is in ANY Mexico resort. Any one who has been to Mexico, or any Carribean hotel knows that happens under hot, humid conditions ( especially in the summer months ). I have stayed in 5 star, as well as 3.5 star, they ALL smell like that. It is not from a lack of cleaning, this resort was spotless! I am very prone to ear infections, get em all the time, middle ear infections come when wind / air reaches a wet ear canal, not from dirty pool water. We use alot of chlorine at home in our local pools, I still get em!
As far as timeshare, everyone down there DOES do timeshare! Politely say " No Thank-You." if you would rather not go, they don't care . We always do a couple while there, they pay between $500 - $700 U.S each !!! You have to haggle a bit. (The Mayan does not pay that well, free buffet breakfast, and a 10% off room charges only). The Mayan does get you to do a timeshare when they give you your bracelet, tell them you have plans every morning your there, you do,.... sleeping in! They do not harass you if your polite.
Back to my reveiw. We loved the Grand Mayan so much we have re-booked for Jan.18 - Feb 2, 2013. This time we're bringing our extended family. We did get an ocean veiw room,the next day as they were none available the day of arrival. We spent most of our time at the Activity pool, where the music was fairly loud, games were always being played, poolside service was very good. If your looking for quietness, there are several other pools to lounge at, as well as the beach. Our favorite thing to do was Lazy River, we would go on it at least once a day. My least favorite things at the resort was how pricey everything was and dull kichen knives. We will be having more meals at Eddies, an off resort restaruant, just 3-4 blocks away, (1/2 the price of resort), when we go back, as well as bringing our own sharp knives.
I seriously think some people look for negetives. I could not imagine blaming a resort for hot and humid weather! Every staff member, could not have been more helpful with meeting all our needs.
All in all, we always decide we're having fun on vay-cay, those "Negetive Nellies" really need to lighten up, and look at the positives, it's fun-er that way!! I hope this helped all you "un-decided".

Room Tip: Rooms ending in an odd # are ocean veiw. Be nice to the desk staff as I'm sure that helped us ge...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank EdmontonGottago
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My in laws purchased a timeshare at this resort years ago so they come here every year. Four years ago I visited with my family, four out of six people left with ear infections. With much hesitation I came back as it is the only resort that is conveinant for my in laws. Again I am sitting here at this computer in PAIN with an ear infection. I am 51 years old, I have had two ear infections in my life, both at this resort. I am well aware that whenever you have that many children in a pool you r going to have feces in the pool { i encountered feces twice on my last day ]. The problem is that they do not use any/enough chlorine. I do not care how nice a resort is if you leave with an ear infection it is horrible. $300.00 for a doctors visit, $130.00 for medicine, and excruciating pain.
As with many other reviewers our room smeeled of mildew. We had to have them change our sheets twice, because of the smell. I have stayed at many beach side resorts, and never had such a bad odor

3  Thank mountainman1961
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is a very nice resort. The Grand Mayan has the best pools. The kids (3 kids)were really busy swimming all day. We had to designate swimming days for our vacation. They have a lazy river that I mostly swam in. The only problem is "our rooms smelled sooo musty and mildewy". They tried to switch me 2x into a different room but they all still smelled the same. I had a very bad headache from the mildew smell (Im allergic to mold & mildew). We also saw mold stains in our first room. We just gave up and bought febreeze and just tried to air out the room whenever possible. Make sure that you guys have them change out all the sheets even in the cabinets. Well, smell them all first (smelled like the clothes that was left in the dryer that didn't dry all the way). It's most likely from the very humid weather there. They should always check all the kitchen utensils first and beddings before they move someone in (some corroded utensils and very musty beddings at move in, in all 3 rooms). Even the pillows had the scent in them. I came here with my brother and his family (2 kids) and he had the same problem. Some rooms haven't been occupied for a while especially the non ocean view ones. Well all the reviews I have read is right. They will not put you in an ocean view room not unless you are an owner or have gone to a time share presentation. BEWARE!! when you go to Puerto Vallarta! As soon as you get into the airport, they hound you to go to a time share presentation. Even all the stores we went to. We had to say no numerous times. After you check in to the Grand Mayan, It is policy that they have you talk to a timeshare rep. They called me a few times in the room also and tried to entice me of getting hundreds of dollars off your room bill. You just gotta say NO!! Overall this was a wonderful place (pools were the best). They treated us good and the cleaning ladies were great. The beach was VErrrrryyyyy Warm! We always went there after the pools and watched the sunset. Prices everywhere are the same as the US (what do you expect being in a tourist area). We cooked a lot in our room for breakfast and lunch. It saved us a lot if money and just went out a few times for dinner.

3  Thank Matamis2000
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Just got back . We stayed from OCt 20- 27th 2012.This place has something for everyone. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit. My husband and I in one room, my 3 and 5 year old in the other room. We also had another 2 bedroom unit that my mother 65 yrs and my brother stayed in. The rooms were HUGE! Nice big TVS in the bedrooms too. This place was wonderful. The grounds are beautiful, and kept so nice. They take a lot pf pride in this resort. Staff was so friendly and helpful. Drinks were awesome. Lots of drink specials and happy hours. We ate breakfast and lunch in our room to save money. Took a trip to Walmart when we first got there and stocked up on beers and food. Ate dinner at the resorts. The best meal I had was in downtown Puerto Vallarta in the Malecon (waterfront) The restaurant was Si Senior! Food was sooooo good! We had apps, cocktails, dinners, and desert for 6 people and it was only 120 bucks! The food was AWESOME. Wish I could go back right now. Another great place for dinner was Eddies place, a short walk form the resort. Delicious food. I had the fish tacos. Yum ! And Affordable too. You can also order pizza to your room. We did that one night. It was pretty good pizza and showed up quickly and just charged it to our room.

Back to the resort... It was awesome, the kids loved it. Even my 65 year old mom had a blast going down the water slide and lazy river! There are so many pools and different areas to hang out at the resort. Every day felt different. And gotta love 2 swim up bars! The only draw back to this place was that it was such a big place, it was sometime shard to find each other since we didn't want to use our cells. If travelling with a group you may want to think about getting an international plan, so you can text each other what pool you are at or where on the beach you are.

Construction didn't bother us at all! I think it was going on in maybe the Grand Luxe. I would totally recommend this resort for a family vacation. Loved this place, we had such a blast!

6  Thank Jbeeezy