“Vacation is not long enough!!!!!!”

The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Chicago, IL
“Vacation is not long enough!!!!!!”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Just got back Monday from our vacation. I had a good time. I haven't been to this part of Mexico since 1999. I read all the reviews about service, time shares, ocean views and whatever else we could complain about. Forget about it. The weather was great and just be thankful you were able to go on vacation and can tell your story to the folks back home.

We are not owners but my family is and we have been going on vacations for the last 5+ years together. We have stayed at 3 Mayan properties and they have been good to me. Becuase of spring beak. The lines were longer than normal at the airport through customs. Take your time you will get through very fast unless the light turns red ad the end of customs. I tried to sell the time share people my house back in the states. If you don't want to be bothered keep it moving. Transportation was great. The resort service had a van all ready for us as we came out of the airport. Please call to schedule one. Check in was good. We didn't have a ocean view but we were up high on the 8th floor and in a good building. I think it began with a T. We could see the golf course and lagoon and the entrance where all the employees come in. It was ok because we spent most of our time out of the room on the beach. Pool and beach areas were getting crowed, but remember to get a good spot come down early and place your book or towel in a chair and by the pools you need to come really early. Lot of sun tanning going on. I came back so dark it was crazy. We are already BLACK.HAHAHAHAHAHA. Try the lazy river for a couple of rides, but make sure you don't flip when getting out of the donut. The staff was great and places where we ate were good also. They have a few theme nites so attend if you can. It will cost you. No we didn;t go because we don't like to committ to anything. We are last many people.. Bars were nice and so were the staff. Went on a time share. Buffet was good and our meeting only went a few hours and then we were back on the beach again. They are building for the future. If you don't want to be a part of it sell sell sell.. Try to have dinner or breakfast at EDDYS off the property down the way. We ate there and it was good. We also took a short ride over to Claudios and the steak was good and the after dinner tequila was a treat. (FREE)...Ask my man Jose P and he will give you the hook up. Get food at the local walmart. Beer juice, lunch meat bacon and whatever else you need. It is always better to keep pesos, but cash will work also. Our rooms are always good as we always cook breakfast and talk trash in the mornings. We have champagne breakfast, eggs, hashbrowns, toast ,pancakes, bacon , fruit , beer. We walked to paridise village, some of us went para sailing, we went down to puerta vallarte on the board walk, down to Nagalito for zip-lining or whatever it is called...If u have issues call them until they get it fix. Just like at home. Bulb went out, coffe pot was cracked and they came and got it taken care of.
Remember enjoy your vacation you paid for it and you took the time off. Don't let negatives stand in your way.
Any questions ask me...

Room Tip: ASk for room higher than the 3rd floor. If you get ocean view good if not still good. You are on vac...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank wms811

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (822)
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Just got back from a week at the Grand Mayan. Hadn't been at this location since 2008 so was pleasantly surprised by the changes at the neighboring Mayan Palace property. Great pathways through the foliage complete with resident iquanas. Weather was great although there was a morning mist over the bay that hasn't been there in the other years that I visited Puerto Vallarta. Ckeck in went very smoothly and quickly although we did get enticed to take in an owners update. However, it was the most pleasant experience I have ever encountered with their timeshare presentations. For once, no hard sell. Took about 2 hours including breakfast. Just a very detailed explanation of the future plans for the property which include a huge waterpark. Will make me rethink my daily lazy river adventure. Pool temperature was the best its ever been as well as the pool on the balcony.
Maid service was once again outstanding although the night time chocolate kisses were only given out once. Had an oceanview room on the 8th floor. Didn't even have to beg for it.
People everywhere were friendly and gracious. Felt very safe visiting Bucerios, Punta Mita, or downtown Puerto Vallarta via city bus. Bought groceries at the Marina Walmart. Good prices.
Ate several dinners at the Sea Gardens restaurant. Excellent buffet at a very affordable price. The baby back ribs were outstanding as was the chicken. The chefs and waiters were extremely friendly and attentive.
I also wish they would assign you a room when you book. That way you know what you are getting, although I quite enjoy the golf course view as well. Higher up the better. Great laughs watching the "duffers".
A great week and came home with a great tan.

Room Tip: Higher up the better the view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank thesarge24
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Stayed at the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta for 2 weeks. Excellent service daily. Clean. Friendly service. Wonderfully warm pool. Excellent food at the buffet restaurant. Love the walkways and the tropical landscape along the paths. loved sitting on the beach.

One compliant--Rooms are not assigned when booked, but upon check in. Our travel friends own at The Luxe, but were assigned a room on the ground floor overlooking construction. They refused that room and were sent over to the Grand Mayan, 5th floor overlooking the ocean. As we were their guests, my husband and I were given a studio on the 4th floor, instead of the center room of their suite. We enjoyed our privacy. Their booking method needs to change as my friend booked a year out exactly on the day she could. No guarantee for a room overlooking the ocean.

Room Tip: If you do not like your room assigned to you, return to the check- in desk to complain and request a...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank BijonV
Ottawa
Reviewed March 11, 2012

The service staff and the facility are great but it all comes with a few hairballs attached. Book your complimentary transportation to the resort through the resort concierge then go directly to the transportation lounge once you land. The timeshare pimps in the Puerto Vallarta airport are ruthless. Ignore them unless you want to spend your whole vacation sitting through timeshare presentations only to have your promised compensation not be given! Once at the resort you will be pressured to take their timeshare presentation. This will come with a free breakfast and 10% off your charges during your stay. This is legitimate and the breakfast is incredible, but you will earn every peso of your discount! Expect to be lied to. You will be shown concept renderings of facilities that may or not be built in your lifetime and if they are built you will have to upgrade because unfortunately those benefits are not available to you since it has been two whole years since your last upgrade! Free golf is not free because you get raped on mandatory cart rentals. They will try and sell you on the concept of you marketing part of your timeshare so that you can vacation free. This is pure garbage as you will be competing with the resort itself and the countless other suckers that bought into this sales scheme. Do some due diligence before you travel, buy if it suits you but only buy what you will use and do NOT purchase anything with mandatory maintenance fees. If you do buy, then change your mind, Mexican law dictates that you have 5 days to break your contract (but the sales shark will never tell you this helpfull tidbit). The other thing that you will not be told is that even after you upgrade you may be stuck staying below what you purchased because they oversell. We met numerous Grand Bliss members staying in the Grand Mayan because they could not get into the GB (even with 7 months advance booking in one families' case!). If you want to stay connected you will be charged lots for every computer that logs onto the in room wireless. Check your bill before you check out as you will be charged for in room bottled water whether you use it or not (they will credit you but you have to complain).
Don't believe the media hype about violence against tourists in Mexico. The resort and surrounding area is safer than all US cities! Bring sunscreen and enjoy your vacation.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank TravelingMan9
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Overall resort has gone from being a four star with a special experience to a 3 star average resort. Food only okay, maintenance okay. Service very average. Not worth the money. Stayed there 4 times in the past. This time was noticeably different.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Denlar1
Belle Plaine, Minnesota
Reviewed March 5, 2012

This was our second trip to the Mayan chain. The first one was 6 years ago @ the Mayan Palace. We where told by several people that the Grand was a big step up from the Palace. The room was nicer Bigger tub and bathroom and the padio was bigger with a soaking pool. The problem with that was we where facing the parking lot so no sun all day. We rented from a owner and told by the Mayan sales staff that the beach view rooms where for the owners but "funny" none where available on check in. The pools where expansive and the wave pools and water slide where fun. Our friends used the spa and said it was great. The wait staff @ the pool where pretty slow we had to go up to the bar several time durring the week for a drink. The cleaning staff was spotty one day great the next so-so. We ate @ the Italian resturant my wife and I had the veal it was like eating beef jerky covered in red sauce. Our friends had pasta and loved it. The manager tried to make it right by giving us a round of drinks. I don't want to sound like a negitave nelly but overall our stay there was good but I wasn't impressed. We only paid $750US off of craigslist. We did the sales tour and yes it was painful but we had done it before. The Mayan chain wouldn't be my first or second choice when I travel to PVR again.

Room Tip: Demand beach view!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank countymedic
Steamboat Springs
Reviewed March 3, 2012

First, sorry for the dramatic title, the negative reviews are so dramatic and I wanted you to read about our positive experience with this timeshare company from someone who is a "owner" with this timeshare.
I have been an owner with The Grand Mayan Resort for Years and I have nothing but great things to say about the company. We are treated like Royalty when we are on property and off. We have not been scammed or feel cheated in anyway. I really can't say enough about owning the Timeshare with this company it's been a great experience.
We have been to a few of the properties and they are all amazing and beautiful but this is our favorite because the kid's love the watermark. We are returning in April 2012 and we can't wait! I have recommended our timeshare, shared our timeshare and look forward to using our timeshare.
You are more than welcome to avoid the sales pitch, we have done it twice (once when we purchased and another to upgrading) and we have been treated with respect and kindness. The free breakfast was yummy, the service outstanding. The meeting went into the afternoon, only because my husband and I had lots to discuss over free drinks, on the veranda overlooking the ocean, we weren't in a hurry and we never felt rushed. Our sales lady, can't remember her name now (we upgraded years ago) treated us out to dinner on the town and showed us some local flair. I am sure she wasn't obligated but we all just connected and had a great day while she showed us the upgrades and toured the facility.
I really am very happy with this company and their properties and the caliber of the trade value. We use Registry Collection to trade our Timeshares with other luxury properties all over the world and again, very happy with the trading value.
Happy with my timeshare