The Grand Mayan at Vidanta Nuevo Vallarta
$512
$160
  • Pool
Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit(Nuevo Vallarta)
$672
$554
$265
$223
  • Breakfast included
Marival Residences Luxury Resort(Nuevo Vallarta)
$466
$319
  • Breakfast included
Occidental Nuevo Vallarta(Nuevo Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$210
$177
  • Breakfast included
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta(Nuevo Vallarta)
$341
$275
Bookit.com
Samba Vallarta All Inclusive(Flamingos)(Great Value!)
$238
$201
  • Breakfast included
Marival Resort & Suites(Nuevo Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$198
$154
Groupon.com
$353
$129
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
3,946 results
All reviewslazy riverwave pooltimeshare presentationocean viewparking garagetime sharesamba restaurantgrand blisssea gardenthrough rcihavana moonresort feetaco breaksun marketsales pitchbeautiful resorttaxi stand
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Spent a week at the GM in Jan in a 1 bedroom. Our friend is an owner so we had a beautiful room on the top floor facing the pools/ocean. It was perfect b/c when our kids slept we could enjoy the sun on the balcony. The plunge pool is lovely but scary if you have small children. I turned my back for one second and my 2 yr old either jumped or fell in - luckily he was fine. They drain it every night and I assume it can be drained at your request during the day if you don't want it filled. We just stopped letting the kids on the balcony. Not sure why they drain it every night but am guessing they don't want drunk people at all hours of the night in their pools on a balcony?? The cribs the hotel provides are pretty small and not terribly sturdy looking. We squeezed our toddlers in them but they are probably better for smaller babies. They had wheels so we would move them between rooms for naps. The pools and grounds were lovely. We did find that chairs at the pool we enjoyed the most were all staked out pretty early in the morning which is always annoying. But the pool temperatures were PERFECT. During the day they'd be nice and cool but if we went swimming after naps in the late afternoon the water was heated. It was fabulous. The kids play pool was super fun also. The beach didn't knock my socks off but we are more pool people. I thought the ocean was green-ish and not beautiful blue. We had great experiences with the doormen, towel folks, housekeeping, etc. We had a wonderful breakfast one morning at Studio Cafe which is right by the Vallarta Adventures. Awesome french toast. Talk to other guests at the pool that's where you'll get a lot of recommendations on places to go off the resort. My kids enjoyed driving around in the golf carts between buildings and those drivers were always super friendly. The food at the resort was fine - on the expensive side but on par with hotel prices everywhere. We thought most of the dining in the area was more expensive than we expected. We would definitely return.

3  Thank alertkm
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I just returned from a 7 day trip to the Grand Mayan. This was my first trip to Puerto Vallarta, and I would love to return. The weather was perfect, and the resort was equally enjoyable. The pools and the beach are beautiful. The friend I was with is a time share owner, and somehow we managed to get an ocean view which was amazing. The health club was good as were the restaurants. While there was construction going on, it never bothered us at the pool or beach. The drinks were average at best, and somewhat expensive. Considering we were in Mexico, we were expecting great margaritas, but were all disappointed with the ones we had at this resort. Stick to the beer, it's a better deal and a sure thing.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Our suite overlooked the marina, which is okay, but it was right near a grid to hold the water back when it rains, and the grid makes a loud click whenever a vehicle goes over it, which is all day and all night.

The rooms themselves were great. The pools were very crowded with people reserving chairs with towels before 8 a.m. I was never able to find a decent chair except at the kiddie pool, which is very nice for children up to about 2 or 3 years of age. The lazy river was very lazy, which was fine with me.

The food in the restaurants is expensive.

We did the timeshare presentation, and we found it not to be very long or pressured. For it, we got $100 off our bill and 10% off other things.

When we arrived by taxi, no bellboys helped us with our luggage. When we came back with groceries, no one offered to help. I found this strange.

All in all, I prefer the Mayan Palace over the Grand Mayan. Mayan Palace is supposedly a step below the Grand Mayan, but it has much better pools and a better view. And it is closer to things on the resort.

Room Tip: Ask for oceanfront. We did but didn't get it. Make sure you don't get a marina view as that was very noisy from the grid.
1  Thank teenk
Reviewed February 5, 2012

The property is spectacular, the pools and waterslide were great for a family with 4 young children. Our 3 oldest children (4,5,8) went to the kids club 3 times and loved it! The ladies that run the kids club(Isis,Alex and Elizabeth) are really outgoing and really treat the kids well, they also speak fluent English and they vary the program by day so it doesn't get old and the night programs are a good value and give adults enough time to have a nice meal.
The grounds are huge, this is not a cozy quaint resort. Expect long walks to the beach and back to the room. They discourage bringing our own food and drink to the pool areas, we brought thermos' for the kids with drinks and kept snacks in our beach bags.
We travelled with Grand Luxe members and so we were never bothered by time share sales people. although friends of ours went to the "owners breakfast" and we're treated poorly as per the other reviews, just avoid the breakfast at all cost and you'll have a great trip. The 10 percent discount does not apply to some items and I saw a lot of angry customers at check out.
The beach was nice, not white sand it has a grey color, but it certainly is long and a nice walk. The ocean water was cool, not a bright blue, somewhat grey as there is a river mouth nearby. The water is shallow for quite a distance which was nice for wading in with the kids. They have a sea turtle hatching program which was nice for the kids to see.
We took a cab to the Wal Mart 80 pesos there and 80 back, bought a weeks worth of groceries and water and the bellman brought it up to the room on our return. We ate most meals in our room, the stove and pots are rudimentary and the cooking utensils are very basic, keep your meals basic and it's not a problem. We used the hotel water for washing, the ice maker for drinks and we ate the fruit we bought at Wal mart without any incident of illness. There is a mini mart on the premises but the prices are at least 50percent higher than t Walmart. There is another convenience store off the grounds towards the marina past the sea garden hotel that would be cheaper.
We ate off the resort near the Marina and our meal was very good, there is a lot of choice in restaurants off the resort about a 5 minute walk.
On the resort we did not eat at any of the restaurants but we did eat at the burger restaurant by the kids club and the food was good. We also ordered a 3kg red snapper from the small fish market near the kids club and brought it up to the room, it was fantastic, they dress and cook the fish and provide rice and sides, it was well worth the cost and probably the best value in food on the resort. We took the kids to the snack bar and had Gellato and Crepes and they were very good.
The rooms are nice and large and they gave us a pack and play for the baby to sleep in as well as a high chair., house keeping is nice and we always left a 2 dollar tip daily, however do not take any valuables. My wife had a silver necklace stolen, it was the only thing of value that we brought with us and my wife kept it at the bottom of her toiletries bag under her makeup and the maid went through it and took the chain. Thankfully she left her jewellry at home!
If you want a specific location to sit then you need to go down to the pool by 8 to reserve it. There are day beds in shaded areas which are perfect for small children to nap on.
Be careful with your bags and valuables on the resort as a couple near us had a bag stolen while they were swimming.
Overall we had a fantastic family holiday at this resort and we will return.

Room Tip: Avoid construction area
4  Thank Pete F
Reviewed February 4, 2012

This place is very deluxe,has great service and has beatiful pools and a gorgeous very manicured lush tropical jungle they created. The spa, gym and activities were pretty impressive.It feels like a disney project in Mexico. My husband and I were there because of an invite to my sis's time share. We prefer to stay close to the natural culture of the area we are visiting, so we took long walks out of the resort and spent some time in old Vallarta and Zona Romantica. The resort is very expensive. My sis passed on a "cleaning fee" of $1350 and the restaurant were superb but very expensive. I guess I was anticipating a big bill because of it being so high end,it's just not the Mexico I remember from times past.

2  Thank Deb K