“Grand Bliss stickup grand paradise club scam”

and 1 more site!
The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Grand Bliss stickup grand paradise club scam”
Reviewed May 23, 2011

After a wonderful 90 minute tour, (really 6.5 hrs) we had to say no, several times! My wife, my cousins and me were hustled around a corner to another person only to no again. Tiring as it was, they brought out the deal closer, Carlos. He would take no for an answer. So after listening to him, it sounded to good to be true? Presented his deal, stay at my resort and 10,000 other for a price of $2900 USD anytime as long as you call in advance oft 60 days. Tiring as the tour and the promise of gifts at the end. Carlos tried and failed. We walked away. Or at I thought we did? My wife knows I can't pass up deal. I'd counteroffer with $1600 USD. Give 5-10 minutes to close deal. My wife wanted the beach than deal. I told him call me later in the week. Little did I know that complaints are abound with this package. After surfing the web, people are upset with this deal maker and the resort. Travel to resort with you ar efine the economy in the US. The residences they are selling are beautiful for older person looking to retire to Nuevo Vallata Mexico, the food is great, but beware for the last part of the tour if you say "NO"! The Manager will stick you up?

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank jward5x

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
Odenton, Maryland
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We just returned from our week long honeymoon in Nuevo Vallarta at The Grand Mayan. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this place. Based on other reviews, I was terrified about being hounded by timeshare people, but it was never a problem. My husband said they called once to our room, but after that, no problems ever. We had a fantastic week of relaxing by the pool and drinking yummy cocktails. The bars in the pool are awesome and the drinks were great. It's easy to rack up a bill since everything is billed to your room, so we ventured to Walmart and purchased breakfast and lunch items to save some money. We always felt safe and the Walmart was actually nicer than some that I've been to in the U.S. When we went inside Walmart, our taxi driver waited for us, which means we ran like mad dogs trying to grab what we needed, but it worked out great. There are also Sunmarkets at the resort which stock everyday items from shampoo to pasta. Our second day at The Grand Mayan, we had a couple's massage that was amazing. Afterwards we were led to a private area outside where we enjoyed fresh fruit and a bottle of champagne. Our room was very quite and private and I'm so glad we stayed in Nuevo Vallarta.

7 Thank LadieLavender
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We stayed at suite # 3301, housekeeper "Vicky" kept the room spotless all the time and promptly fulfilled any of our requests!!! Room was very comfortable with a nice ocean view, balcony, A/C, fans, TVs, etc.
Restaurants had good food and very well presented although quite expensive for Mexico. We found it better to leave for our meals and drinks (a bottle of Tequila was 100 pesos in town and 380 in the resort!)
Gardens were very well maintained, pools and streams spotless...
The best of it all was the people! Friendly, pleasant to chat with and very helpful!!!
Mr Ponce Cano and Mr Alejandro Tapia obviously are doing a good job and I would like Mr Dimayuga Atddon to know that!
We would go back to visit this wonderful place anytime! Loved it! Pity that they do not sale the units as I would have been interested. They have "time-shares" which I highly recommend to those so interested. We were approached by Yvette who inquired if we were interested. We were not, but we did not felt pressured nor "tormented"... for what I am very grateful and I will further recommend the place
In short: I would love to visit them again

Room Tip: Smile and be polite as they are
3 Thank CarlosandGigi
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 19, 2011

When we were there, we had no idea that we were being eaten up by bugs until we started seeing them show up on our ankles, arms, legs, neck. We met a traveler on the first day that warned us about small bugs on the golf course. We don't golf. Then we started waking up with itching around the ankles, arms and other parts. I assumed mosquitoes until we got home and found the bites recurring. We came to the room mid afternoon to put the little one down and found the exterminators in our room. We wondered why since we did not see anything. I was a little miffed because I dd not want the poison so they left quickly. But I recall the look on their faces when we walked in. Like the Cat that ate the Canary. It all makes sense now. They probably got complaints by former guests and were there trying to handle the situation. They didn't. I never had a bed bug before that I know of and had to research the whole thing. By the way, I never saw one mosquito and I was assuming they were just very sneaky. But it may have been bed bugs that were eating us up.
Other than that issue, which will be huge if it is indeed bed bugs, the resort was not bad. Impressive service, lobby and huge. We were at the Grand Mayan which allows us to visit anywhere in the 5 resort complex. We took the electric transportation that takes you from resort to resort. Easy and convenient. Lots of walking here due to it being so spread out. I enjoyed the exercise but some may find it overwhelming. The winding sidewalks everywhere were also a bit hard to navigate and my wife got lost once at night going to the washroom from the party.
The good:
- nice looking huge resort with good service, nice rooms, friendly and helpful staff
- beach parties were fun. I recommend them for both adults and children. Food is so so but open bar, decent entertainment and fun to meet others.
- We went in mid April before the Easter rush. It was a great time. Hotel looked dead but we got chairs anywhere and no lines for anything. No reservations for restaurant! On Sunday when we left, the hotel became a zoo and no chairs at the kids pool.
- Pools were generally nice and plentiful. What is bad on the beach is made up with pools, lazy river, a slide for adults and kids, bar pools, kids pools, wave pools. The place is massive and you can hang where it is quite, noisy, fun or kids.
- Anna from Dream Art Photography was awesome and took some great shots of our daughter. She was very sweet, personable and really knows how to handle kids, people and the camera. They are on site and we highly recommend her.
The average:
- some of the hotel grounds seemed to be worn and needing repairs.
- restaurants were mediocre. Some foods way too salty. We did the meal plan and recommend doing breakfast only. The dinner was not worth it and the breakfast buffet is good enough to make it brunch. Plus there are many dinner values you can have without the burden of dessert.
- happy hour is the best time to drink. Otherwise, you pay crazy $14 drinks other than that. Happy hour was 12-1 and 5-6 but weakly advertised. Drinks were okay.
The bad:
- bugs! Indication is these may be bed bugs but the investigation is ongoing. Just had an exterminator here to see what the story is back home but no evidence yet. Never saw a mosquito so my suspicions are high but not confirmed yet.
- time share people were not as bad as we read but they are somewhat persistent. After 3 days they gave up on us. Not sure what the huge issue is but of course some people may have a hard time saying no. We had no issues telling them and no repercussions. 90 minutes will be 4-5 hours per our friends that told us about it. We avoided this one but did another hotel. It was about 3 hours from start to end and it was a promised 1 hour. Not a bad deal if you don't mind giving up that time on vacation and you will enjoy the freebies. Dolphin Experience, Money, Cabs, free breakfast, etc.
- meal plan is worth breakfast but dinner was very sketchy. Great mussels at the Punta Arena but very salty shrimp. Dinner food was just okay. Nothing to rave about like our trip to downtown.
- $25 each way to get to Puerto Vallarta by taxi. The downtown was great. Shopping and real food.We highly recommend it but being this far away, we found it a problem getting there. Ate at la Distilleria with concierge's recommendation. It was awesome and fun.
- beach is brown sand. Not very inviting and very hot to walk on. The water is green and murky. This is due to the nearby river. Go north and the water gets better. But it will always be murky on the hotel grounds. We are beach people but rarely went there.
- Kids pool has a vinyl material that slopes into the water. The mild slopes are okay but there are some higher slopes that our 4 year old daughter slipped twice on. Once a large bruise on the forehead and the other a small bump on the back of the head. Then we witnessed a 6 year old fall and hit his head. The father went to comfort him and he too fell and hurt his wrist. Bad news as this was just what we witnessed in a week. They should non-skid this and avoid many injuries.
- Sun blocking curtain was off track and we called to have it repaired. Never got done. So we simply dragged the curtain and not the handle as intended to close off the windows at night. Still some sunlight but manageable.

Overall it was a relaxing trip. No internet due to the high cost. First time I have been to a resort that did not offer it free. Pretty lame for an expensive resort. We booked through RCI and the cost was good for us overall. Can't go back for 5 years but not sure we would anyways. Not just because of the bad, but because there are so many other places to go to. And the fact that we love the blue Caribbean which is not blue at this resort.

Room Tip: The breakfast meal plan is recommended.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Pmanster
WI
Reviewed April 18, 2011

There is nothing like a week in Paradise to releive the stress of the real world. We had a 2 bedroom condo that we shared with friends.
Check in was very smooth. We did sign up for the presentation and recieved our discounts. Our sales person Dayan Johnson was knowledgable and we were happy with the process and satisfied with the out come.

The staff is very friendly and attentive. Pools are awesome, we must have picked the perfect time of year because there were no crowds and many open chairs at the pool and beach. To save on food spending, we did the breakfast buffets and did not need to eat until dinner time.

Casa Grande, Arizona
Reviewed April 17, 2011

My family went to the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta in January and we couldn't be more impressed. We have been owners for 9 years and are continually blown away by the grounds, amenities, room quality, activities and staff. We love being pool side because it makes it so much easier to come and go. The kids can help themselves to sodas and sandwiches and we don't have to move a muscle! Becoming members with The Grand Mayan has been one of the best things we have ever done. We look forward to our next trip to stay in the Grand Mayan in Cabo San Lucas where we plan on buying yet another week!

Room Tip: Be NICE! It works.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Gretchen1213
surrey
Reviewed April 16, 2011

We stayed 1 week and loved the resort. Very clean, friendly and beautifully decorated. The pools and lazy river were clean and fun to hang around, but we ended up spending most time on the beach - more natural and less people. Watch out for bug bites on the sand.
You probably won't get an ocean view room unless you are a timeshare owner of the resort, but the view out the back is not bad if you get above the 5th floor so you can see the lights of Nuevo, Bucerias, and the backwater from the marina. Dipping pools on the back side are useless as they are in the shade - maybe for kids wanting to get wet.
The rooms are gorgeous and huge. No oven and a mini fridge, no dishwasher, and only 1 bowl. I guess they don't want you cooking too much in your room. Service was excellent - very friendly staff, and very professional. The maids make about $30 a week so tipping them makes them very happy. They work hard.
Here's a shocker - internet for the computer in your room costs $95 a week!! Or you can pay $40 to get connected in the lobby. Unbelievable! We didn't use the computer.
The restaurants on site are pretty good. We ate at the Italian one and it only cost $85 for 4, with a drink each. Very good food as well. If you want something extra special and a lot less, head over to the marina to Eddies place. We had the most incredible meal there on our last night - prawns the size of lobster tails specially brought in, the most amazing ribs we've ever had, and super good service and atmosphere for a small restaurant. Eddie comes around to chat, and the flaming coffees ($7.50 but worth it) are a real treat to end the meal. The marina cafes are angry at the resorts for putting up a brick wall to keep people from leaving the resort to eat elsewhere. It's worth the trip to go there to eat - a 20 minute walk or take a cheap cab. If the wall wasn't there, it would be a 5 minute walk.
Watch out for the lounge chairs around the pools. They are very tippy when the back is down for laying out. Mine tipped back, and then the back legs collapsed suddenly, sending me to the cement floor on my tailbone. I was on painkillers for the rest of the week, and they seemed more concerned about the chair than how hurt I was. But if you need good pain meds - buy Blocacid at the pharmacia. They are wonderful and don't leave you fog headed. I was able to enjoy the rest of the holiday without too much pain.
The resorts are grouped together along the beach with only 1 entrance where you are taken by golf cart when you want to leave (cabs come right to the lobby, but if you walk or want to bus it, you have to go to the entrance by golf cart) The location isn't great, as there is nothing to do in Nuevo at night. My adult sons took the bus into Puerto Vallarta each night, and then got a $20 cab home in the wee hours.
All in all, we had a great time, and it is a beautiful resort - maybe a bit too 'grand' for my taste. Everything seems so far apart as the grounds are so huge. Bring a beach bag that you can put drinks in (they say they don't allow that but nobody checks your bags) The drinks around the pool are $14, but only $7 at happy hour.
And the beds were awesome! I haven't had such good sleeps in a long time. Perhaps it was the happy hour drinks, or the pain killers.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family