“First Class Resort”

Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We just arrived back from Puerto Vallarta. The resort is beautiful and the staff is amazing in all areas. They provided all the extra details that made our trip special. My boyfriend (now Fiance) proposed to me after a sunset dinner on the beach. The resort took care of all the special details that my Fiance wanted from rose pedals, spanish musician singing love songs, private service, etc. They also had our suite decorated so beautiful with rose pedals, fresh flowers everywhere, chocolate covered strawberrys, wine, and so much more to mention. Upon arrival at Grand Velas we were treated so well. We were checked in, while we relaxed in the open air foyer and enjoyed a fresh hybicus water. We chose our activites, booked the spa, and my fiance was took care of the secret sunset dinner (hint hint) all while we relaxed on the sofas. The service came to us. We stayed in the Grand Suite. The suite was absolutely amazing with the view from the balcony and the sounds of the waves crashing. The spa is a must, so relaxing.

Room Tip: Corner Suite is large with great views and sounds of the ocean waves crashing. Electric Blinds that...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jhopstein
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Congratulations on your new marriage arrangements. You are a fortunate girl to have such a thoughtful and loving fiancé, and we are proud to have been involved in the romantic gestures inspired by your fiancé that made the moment very special. I am pleased that you found in Grand Velas a “first class” resort. And that the service, suite accommodations and spa were to your complete satisfaction. Your beautiful description of your romantic getaway sounds like the beginning to a long and wonderful love story, and we would be most honored to continue being a part of your blossoming relationship. Thank you and your fiancé for your enchanting review, and we look forward to hosting you again in the very near future. All our best wishes to you both.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

This was our 3rd Grand Velas stay, second in Puerto Vallarta. We absolutely love the Grand Velas resorts! There is nothing I can say bad about these places. Everything is top notch. The service and friendliness of the entire staff is second to none. The food is incredible. The entire resort is so clean and well kept. The kids program is amazing. During our 5 day stay, it rained 4 of the 5 days. That didn't stop the staff at grand velas. They put on all kinds of kids programs! They brought in a sea lion show and all the kids were able to pet and have their picture with the sea lion. They had movies, activities, and snacks constantly. It was amazing.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Sarahjane1119

Thank you very much Sarah Jane for your loyalty to The Velas Group of Hotels. And also for your splendid comments on your latest stay at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit. The positive descriptions of your experience explain perfectly why you feel that we are the resort of your preference. I am pleased that you found us to be extra service orientated when the weather was not cooperating during your last visit, but we will always look for ways to keep our guests entertained and satisfied during all periods of their holidays. Thank you again Sarah Jane, and I hope that we continue to meet your expectations with each stay. Enjoy the winter and be well.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We went back last March for the 2nd time with our kids for 8 days. Edward Carillo was our Concierge and he took really great care of our needs! He went above and beyond my expectations from the time we arrived. He came to checked on us each day to see if we were satisfied w/ our rooms. We enjoyed our evening meals at Piaf of w/c we were known by Jesus, Francisco, Sergio & Jury! At Azul- Ignacio was pretty much are favorite waiter & he moved mtns for our kids' request of meals. Israel took care of us when he was gone & Alma always greeted us w/ a beautiful smile every morning. Frida was incredible and top notch! Hugo at the poolside- we wanted to adopt him! He catered to our every request! The time we spent at the Spa was heaven...worth every doggone penny! Second to none!!!! I strongly recommend it & you will never forget that experience! Made a lot of new friends and even convinced a couple of families to come back! We are coming back on Spring break and we are bringing 3 more families with us! I recommend the horse back riding, whale watching, snorkeling (not in the Los Arcos but away in the middle of the ocean), and zip lining! We always have a great time just relaxing by the pool or beach or just biking in the zoo closely! The many hotel activities that are offered everyday are surely not to be missed- they are inclusive so all you need is the time to go and a willing spirit! So take your sombreros & sunglasses and let's get cracking lackin for some fun-filled vacation in PV where you don't have to cook or clean or get up early! Let's go hard-working people! Chop chop! See you there this summer break!

Room Tip: Always ask to see each room! And remind them that if you are a satisfied costumer...that you will be...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Maria J

Thank you Maria for your animated spirit and of course for your continuing patronage to Grand Velas. As a very outgoing and adventurous person you have the keen ability to meet and know many of our staff that have helped you last year. And I am pleased that you have made arrangements to see all of them again this year. If you could please ask for me during your upcoming vacation it would be my pleasure to meet you, and to feel that sense of your glowing satisfaction in person. In the meantime please know that your review will be posted for our staff to read, and to prepare themselves for your yearly return. Thank you again Maria, and have your sombrero and sunglasses ready too. Greetings to Lincoln, Nebraska.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at the Grand Velas the first week of December, just before the high season started. The resort was only at 20% occupancy, so we had most of the it to ourselves! We traveled with our 5 month old baby and was very pleased with the experience.

Service: My husband and I have stayed at other higher-end all-inclusives in the Mayan Riviera (e.g. Secrets Maroma, Royal Hideaway, Excellence, etc.), and we both agree that while our experiences at those resorts were pretty awesome, the Grand Velas blew them all away in service and food quality. Our concierge, Georgina, was super helpful and ensured we had everything we needed. The service at the pool was also top notch (they would setup our beds as soon as we get there, bring us water in ice buckets and whatever drinks we want). Lunch service at the pool was also efficient. The servers were always coming around & taking drink orders. Everyone was so friendly and warm that we felt like we were staying with family (albeit a very wealthy one for that matter, lol) vs a resort. We were totally spoiled by the GV experience & would find it difficult to book with other AIs in the future. We look forward to trying the one in the Mayan!

Food - The food at the GV restaurants (Piaf, Frida and Lucca) are on par with other 5 star restaurants we have at home in terms of quality, presentation, and service. Rack of lamb, chilean sea bass, and filet mignons are available at all the restaurant menus. The foie gras at Piaf tasted just like the foi gras we had in Paris and their escargot is even better! I also highly recommend the mussels at Frida. The only drawback was that Azul was being renovated the entire week we were there, so we didn't get to experience their lunch buffet. Lunch selections were limited as a result (it was still good though - we stuck to having most lunches by the pool). Breakfast buffet was moved to Frida during the closure.

Drinks - Cocktails are made with good quality stuff. Their martinis are also to die for, I highly recommend the following: cucumber martini, black orchid, and fusion martion (i think they only make this at Piaf). I also like it that they don't pressure you to purchase wine from their non-all inclusive wine list (other resorts we've been too do a hard sell on their non-inclusive wines). We found the wine selections at all the restaurants to be good and varied.

Room Service: Fresh and presented wonderfully. We ate all room service meals at the balcony, and they brought a round table all setup with linens and silver ware. Also, they bring you full bottles of wine if you order wine with your meal (same at the restaurants too, especially Piaf), which I think is pretty classy.

Some Tips for Traveling with Baby/Kids that I hope you'll find helpful:

- The GV is very kid friendly and the staff just dote on them! Don't hesitate about taking your kids, there were a few other families the week we were there.

- I recommend the Parlour suite vs the Master Suite when travelling as a family as it has a partition for the bedroom.

- We didn't use the kids club as its for 4 year old and higher, but they are open from 9am-9pm.

- If you run out of formula (for some reason our baby ate way more than he does at home during this trip!) or any baby/personal needs for that matter, and you don't want to make the trek to town, just call Concierge and they will get the stuff you need delivered to your room! They have a partnership with one of the pharmacies in town and they deliver to the resort (delivery charge is 100 pesos & pays for the taxi service). Very convenient indeed.

- Baby Rentals - Instead of lugging heavy baby gear, we opted to rent our stroller, baby swing, bath tub and I even bought a few Munchkin microwave sterilizers for sterilizing baby bottles from them (so handy)! (google "Puerto Vallarta baby gear rentals"). They delivered the gears to the hotel, and concierge sent them up to our room (gears were already waiting in our room by the time we got there). Also, on the day of departure, our concierge came to collect the gears (just call and they'll come to pickup). Super easy! I really appreciated it that our concierge took ownership of ensuring that the gears are returned to the rental agency on time (we didn't even see the rental guys - concierge dealt with them).

- The resort provides Microwaves & crib, but they don't have kettles (if you need to boil water for formula). I knew this before we left as I've been emailing concierge with questions. To workaround this, I brought a light microwavable container that is deep enough to hold a few bottles of water. I then used the container to boil bottled water in the microwave (my husband thought it was overkill boiling bottled water, but I'd rather be safe than sorry! :)).

- Nanny service - This was the icing on the cake! My friends were surprised we left our baby with a nanny at the resort, but sometimes you just have to learn to trust people, especially if you hire them through the resort. The resort guarantees that their nannies are experienced with children, Over 18 years old, and are employees of the Resort certified by the American Red Cross First Aid/ CPR/AED program. We hired a nanny for 2-3 hours each night so that my husband and I can go for a relaxing dinner (2 hours will give you enough time to eat and 3 hours will allow you to have some time to enjoy some cocktails at the lobby bar and a little walk around the resort). It was awesome. Best decision we made! We were assigned the same nanny (her name is Rosa) the entire week, and she was great with our baby. The rate is $20/per hour per 1 child (I believe it goes up a little the more kids you have), and there's a minimum of 2 hours service booking required. You can pay the sitter directly or you can have the service charge to your room.

We really enjoyed our trip and all the little conveniences the resort provides to make traveling with baby easier, makes it an even awesome resort to take kids to.

Any questions, just let me know.

Room Tip: Parlour suite when traveling with family.
7  Thank cher0679

Thank you Cher for sharing the experience of your vacation with us. And also for your advice to others on traveling with little ones. I am very proud that you felt “spoiled by the Grand Velas experience”, and that our service and product was superior to that of some of the competition that you have stayed with. Your advice to parents traveling with babies is very informative to other potential guests. With your foresight and our concierge team you were able to easily handle any baby related obstacle just as if you were at home. Cher, please be rest assured that Georgina and Rosa will be recognized for their success in aiding you and your baby in really enjoying your experience. I am very happy that our culinary tour exceeded your expectations, especially with the five star travel experience that you have. One of our goals is to provide an ample variety together with a considerable level of quality in our culinary options for our valued guests, and I am very glad that we met with your overall satisfaction. I thank you and your young family for selecting Grand Velas, and it would be my pleasure to meet you, your husband and the happy baby on your return to our resort. By the way, your splendid photos of your holiday are yours to value for a lifetime, and ours to feel proud of for a job well done. I send you our warm greetings to Vancouver.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. Our family vacation (2 adults, a 6 year old, a 9 year old) turned out to be wonderful, great, exciting, etc. However, I don't feel 'WOW-ed' by the hotel. For calling themselves a high-end hotel, I found a few areas to be lacking.

Check-in: we stayed for a week in July 2013. It was hot & humid. There is a nice process of lounging with cold drinks while a personal attendant checks you in. However, we booked through American Express Travel and didn't get the room we were promised. We were supposed to have an in-room jacuzzi. When my husband went down to the front desk later with the papers in hand, he was dismissed and told "we don't have those types of rooms". Later, the story changed to "you were given a room upgrade instead". What irked me wasn't the jacuzzi (I didn't really care), it was the inconsistency in what we were told. Just felt lied to after paying top dollar. There were DVD players in the rooms, but no DVD's to rent. Apparently, those are only for people who bring their own DVD's.

Like many have mentioned, this is a big convention hotel. For the most part, this worked in our favor. We happened to be there during one of the weeks that Edward Jones had set aside for their top-earning partners/families. As a result, there were plenty of kid activities (esp the movies at night) to entertain my kids while my husband and I had a quiet dinner. Because E.Jones paid a large lump fee for gratuities at the end of the week, we weren't bombarded for tips like other reviewers have mentioned. The staff didn't know we weren't EJ people.

The Kids Club was great. I can't say enough good things about that staff. On one of the days, they had a mini-zipline set up with a small rock climbing wall. At least twice, there were movies during the evening at the kids club. My kids saw Despicable Me and Ice Age (4?). Maybe because of the convention or time of year, these were in English with Spanish subtitles.

Housekeeping: I thought the housekeeping staff was wonderful. We did tip them daily. They are probably the most deserving.

Food/Restaurants: I thought the food at Azul was great for breakfast (or lunch). At dinner time, though, the food seemed to attract way too many flies and wasn't good. The morning Azul staff was awesome. We tried the Italian, French, and Mexican restaurants for dinner. Our least favorite was the Italian; the French our favorite. You definitely need to book your dinner reservations as soon as possible, making the first reservation before you get there. One night, we couldn't be seated in a restaurant, so we ventured off property to a small restaurant just down the road. Upon return, I stopped to make a dinner reservation for the next night. I was initially told no. I must have raved a little too much about our offsite venture, all of a sudden a table was found for us and we never had a problem getting a reservation after that.

Room: our room had a great view of the ocean. The room truly is a great size, especially when traveling with kids and a whole load of luggage. When the kids went to bed, my husband and I took advantage of the outside patio to relax. One closet in the room had this really bad musty smell that we couldn't get rid of. It's probably just the result of the humidity/confined space. It just happened to be the closet with the room safe. So we always got a whiff of it :)

Pool/Beach/Activities Director:
My daughter loved the pool. We spent much of our time going among the 3 pools and practicing her swimming. If you want inflatables for your kids, the hotel store has a very limited offering at a very high price. Instead, take a little walk down the road to a local grocery for a larger & cheaper supply.

My husband and son spent much of the time on the beach. They really appreciated the Activities director who set up a number of beach-soccer games. The beach itself looks a bit dirty.

Exercise facility: I did use their exercise facility 4 of the days. There are 3 treadmills, a few bikes, some weights, and some elliptical machines. They also offered some classes, which I didn't try. They didn't mesh well with my family schedule.

Hotel Activity bookings: There are 2 ladies who help you with reservations to Vallarta Adventure trips (dolphins, cruises, etc). They were great.

In any case, we had a great time, but the hotel wasn't "excellent".

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank ftew

Thank you for your belated comments from your vacation with us in July. I am pleased that your experience is still on your mind, and the specific points in which you mention are always appreciated. It is important to mention to you that since your vacation our restaurant Azul has undergone a major renovation, making the service and product that much more enjoyable than before. I hope that if you return you can see and feel the difference to your dining experience on our oceanfront venue. I do apologize for not meeting your expectations regarding the reservation of your suite category. We do rely heavily on the correct administration of suite descriptions that the travel agencies pass along to their clients, thus avoiding any misunderstandings upon arrival. We do have a human compassion to situations such as this one, and our front desk personnel will do their best in order to rectify any discrepancies in relation to the guest’s reservation. I am very pleased that your six and nine year old enjoyed our Summer Camp program launched this year, which provided the little ones with a large variety of interesting activities. We do put an extended focus on the children during periods of high occupancy of our child clients such as in summer and Christmas. The extra attention allows for the parents to enjoy some personal time by the pool as well. Of course I am happy that the extra services provided during your stay were well received by you and your family during a major convention. We as a team are grateful for your selection of Grand Velas, and we certainly hope to host you again in a future vacation. Take care.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

It's funny reading other people's reviews during the same period we stayed. Many of my comments would be similar. Let's start with the positives…the food and the service and the ocean. The staff is so nice (although not the DOLT who helped us with check in), the food is GREAT and you can stay in the ocean for two hours.
Now, some input. What in the WORLD is with waiters telling me where I can add additional tip on the bill if I want to? Of course we always did, but it's just wrong. Especially when you get a letter saying it is included but if you feel inclined "for above and beyond service", go right ahead. My other comment is while the renovated room was nice, there were things that never worked and were never fixed even upon asking many times…lights that wouldn't turn on in particular.
Generally though, it was a fantastic trip. I have a final same comment as last year. Actually, this is my biggest issue and question. WHY IN THE WORLD would you take a huge group of people (200 checked in the week we were there this year AND LAST) at a time of year where your guests are paying top dollar? It throws everything off and really changes the feel of what the hotel is supposed to be. I have other friends who were staying who felt exactly the same way.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for selecting Grand Velas for your second stay. To have repeat clients returning is a sign to us that we were able to reach or surpass your expectations on your previous stay, and for that I am appreciative for your patronage. You do raise a few points that interest me and are within my power as Director to correct. As you mention, tipping extra is very optional depending on the individual guest, and of course resulting from exceptional product and service at any given moment. Our staff does receive a portion of your payment which is divided amongst all every week. The solicitation of extra tips is not condoned by the resort and that part of the process concerning the cheque will be reanalyzed in order to further avoid any misunderstandings. We do of course have processes and check lists in inspecting suites prior to their occupation, and we are very focused on guest comfort and on the prime condition of every suite. Our supervisory staff will be more alert to anomalies of any type in our assigned suites in order to create the perfect first impression for our guests. In all fairness to group sales I must say that they also pay top dollar when they wish to visit on dates of high demand. They do leave a substantial deposit or entire payment normally months in advance in order to reserve a group of suites. In truth, they are paying customers as well and it is very difficult for any hotel or resort to turn away that kind of revenue. However, it is within our reach and ability to provide our non group guests an experience as to which they were expecting ever since their individual reservation was confirmed. We will put more emphasis on our vacationers for their dining experiences and leisure time in public areas such as swimming pools. Many times there are organized private dinners for our groups which actually help to diminish any high demand in our restaurants, and external tours that are programmed as a group always help the circulation in our pools. I value your observations, and it is our onus as a responsible hotel to make you feel that you thoroughly enjoyed your vacation with us. Thank you for your feedback both positive and constructive, and please be rest assured that we are always modifying our product based on your reviews and comments. Please take care and I do certainly hope to see you and your family back for a third time this holiday season.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

The hotel was beautiful, and the service was impeccable.

A few draw backs, though:

The food was subpar at best. I suppose this isn't a huge surprise given it's an all-inclusive kind of deal. However, even the Mexican restaurant wasn't great (... and it's in Mexico...). The wine was cheap (Yellow Tail, for example)-- I would recommend ponying up for a decent bottle. (They have a list of wines available for purchase)

Second, you had to pay for the wi-fi, and the signal (marketed as "high speed") was sluggish and lagging. In this day in age, there's no excuse for not having free, working wifi. (On the flip side, it does kind of force your hand to stay off the grid and have a tech-free vacation.)

Third, the "hot" water was tepid at best in the shower, which was disappointing. Given the warm climate, however, this wasn't a huge deal.

Room Tip: 642 was a great room! Beautiful view and spacious room.
1  Thank Hannah M
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Thank you very much Hannah for bringing your observations to my attention. As managing director I am deeply concerned with your observations that you are pointing out. Even though the term “all inclusive” tends to lend the impression amongst the public as lower rate or mass produced, we are very proud to be one of the first resorts to offer a very high quality product, which includes items that would surprise many of our competitors. I certainly will review my various wine lists that we have in our restaurants and bars in order to reassure our guests that we are providing very good quality for their investment. I would be pleased if you could kindly communicate to me in person some of your thoughts concerning the products that you ordered while here on vacation. Again Hannah, as director it is my goal that you thoroughly enjoy your holiday and if there are ways to better the vacation experience for our valued clients I am always interested. You may be interested to know that the basic wifi is now without charge for our guests. It is an example of us listening to your comments and acting upon them. It does please me greatly that in spite of your concerns, you thought that the hotel was beautiful, your suite spacious and the service impeccable. Hannah, thank you again for your constructive comments, and I not only look forward to hearing from you, but also to host you and your family again in the future. Take care.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
#4 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
#6 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!