“Great place, with a couple exceptions”

Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great place, with a couple exceptions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

The hotel was beautiful, and the service was impeccable.

A few draw backs, though:

The food was subpar at best. I suppose this isn't a huge surprise given it's an all-inclusive kind of deal. However, even the Mexican restaurant wasn't great (... and it's in Mexico...). The wine was cheap (Yellow Tail, for example)-- I would recommend ponying up for a decent bottle. (They have a list of wines available for purchase)

Second, you had to pay for the wi-fi, and the signal (marketed as "high speed") was sluggish and lagging. In this day in age, there's no excuse for not having free, working wifi. (On the flip side, it does kind of force your hand to stay off the grid and have a tech-free vacation.)

Third, the "hot" water was tepid at best in the shower, which was disappointing. Given the warm climate, however, this wasn't a huge deal.

Room Tip: 642 was a great room! Beautiful view and spacious room.
1 Thank Hannah M
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you very much Hannah for bringing your observations to my attention. As managing director I am deeply concerned with your observations that you are pointing out. Even though the term “all inclusive” tends to lend the impression amongst the public as lower rate or mass produced, we are very proud to be one of the first resorts to offer a very high quality product, which includes items that would surprise many of our competitors. I certainly will review my various wine lists that we have in our restaurants and bars in order to reassure our guests that we are providing very good quality for their investment. I would be pleased if you could kindly communicate to me in person some of your thoughts concerning the products that you ordered while here on vacation. Again Hannah, as director it is my goal that you thoroughly enjoy your holiday and if there are ways to better the vacation experience for our valued clients I am always interested. You may be interested to know that the basic wifi is now without charge for our guests. It is an example of us listening to your comments and acting upon them. It does please me greatly that in spite of your concerns, you thought that the hotel was beautiful, your suite spacious and the service impeccable. Hannah, thank you again for your constructive comments, and I not only look forward to hearing from you, but also to host you and your family again in the future. Take care.

rgonzalezrn@velasresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Korean first
Tacoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed here in Sept. 2013 for 3 nights. We were greeted in the lobby with a drink and a shoulder massage to introduce us to the spa services available while they processed our reservation and got our room keys. The bracelet you wear at this all inclusive is not a cheap paper one but a nice string one with a charm on it - instant souvenir! The open lobby is beautiful. Our room was one which included a private rooftop hot tub and patio area which had an adjoining restroom. This hotel has the most comfortable bed I have slept on in Mexico. The room itself was spacious and I loved the large padded lounger on the balcony. We had an unobstructed view of the grounds and beach as we were in the center of the hotel. The level of service at this hotel is top notch! Our concierge went above and beyond to make our stay fabulous (wine and chocolates were waiting in our room upon arrival and a new bottle every night thereafter). The snack basket and refrigerator were never empty. They offer a woven beach bag to take all your items down with you, slippers for the room and all ages can get fish food in the kids center to feed the koi off the lobby. The restaurants have 5 star food and service and will also go out of their way to prepare your food if you have dietary restrictions. The buffet restaurant offers buffet and menu service - loved it! The beach cabanas are open to all without reservations and offer food and drink service. The beach vendors here are great - not pushy and will also go out of their way to make you happy. I was able to exchange a dress I had bought when I saw one I preferred more the next day and they restrung a couple necklaces to make the combination chain/pendant I preferred. Having been to PV several times I prefer this area to stay in; you get all the feel of being in Mexico and never have to leave the resort for anything. This hotel lacks nothing, highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: If you can swing the cost, get the room with private rooftop hot tub.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you very much for your splendid review of your stay with us this last September. Your review focuses mainly on the comforts that you experienced and the efficient service that you were given on a daily basis. I am very pleased that your suite was everything that you expected and more. The personal comfort of you and your friends are an integral ingredient of your overall satisfaction and happiness throughout your stay. Also, we as a team are glad that you lacked for nothing during your respite, and that the flexibility that you were afforded in terms of our menus and service in general, made you feel that you can “highly recommend” Grand Velas to your friends. I thank you again for your selecting us, and I certainly hope to have the pleasure in hosting you and your friends again in order to repeat your successful first visit. Take care.

calgary, alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

Just returned from the Grand Velas Nayarit Dec 20-27. Beautiful, clean property. The pools are beautiful and the beach was warm and very swimmable with perfect waves. The room we had was just average for a high end Mexico resort--we have stayed in better. Unfortunately we had a ground floor room close to the Azul restaurant so at 3:30-4 AM every day they started moving carts across the sidewalks and preparing for the next day. We didn't sleep properly the entire week due to the noise. They need a better system than hand pulled, noisy carts, every 30 seconds from 4 AM onwards. When we informed the front desk of this they said they would look into it but nothing changed.

The food at Azul (buffet) was excellent for breakfast and lunch. Dinner was average. The other restaurants were excellent. Piaf is for 12+ years only, which is a bit ridiculous. Interestingly the concierge booked our family into Piaf (our kids are 15, 12 and 10) and only once we arrived did the manager kick up a fuss. The concierge should have known better than to book us in there. Our child was quieter and better behaved than most of the other guests at the next table over and yet the hostess and manager were exceedingly rude.

Minimal to no night time entertainment at this resort so if you are looking for a fun, Club Med type atmosphere, this is not the place for you.

The concierges for each room don't really seem to have much of a job. We met ours at the beginning and pretty much anything we asked her to do, she never once followed up. The resort would be wise to look into either making their concierges actually do some work or better yet they could save some money and get rid of the concept.

Overall this is an excellent resort. The few little issues above should be addressed, especially given the top dollar that they charge, but we would definitely consider returning here if they could assure us some sleep next time!

Room Tip: Stay away from the Azul end of the resort. Very very noisy!
1 Thank jessikaCalgary
Rodolfo G, Director General at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you Jessika for having chosen Grand Velas for your Christmas vacation with your family, and a special thank you for bringing to my attention the “hitches” that you incurred during your stay. It is one of our special goals that your visit is stress free in terms of relaxation and personal planning. I must personally apologize to you and your family for the lapses that you experienced in our concierge services. Our hiring and training is focused on pro activity and organizational skills for this department, and by reading your observations I feel that this matter has to be looked into internally and that is my responsibility. The situation with our stewards preparing the Azul restaurant is already being tended to thanks to your review. We have implemented a program to systematically replace the hard wheels on each individual cart with pneumatic tires that are much more silent when moving throughout the property. I am particularly pleased that you would definitely consider returning in the future, which I take as an overall positive vacation experience. If and when you decide to revisit us please feel free to contact me personally in order that I can assure your optimum sleep comfort for you and your family. Thank you again Jessika and best wishes from Riviera Nayarit.

Broadbeach, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Words cannot describe how much I loved this hotel. We had out wedding at the hotel and had 20 guests aged from 4 to 73 staying at the hotel for between 5 to 8 days. Everyone had the same amazing experience weather they were a couple with a young child, retired couple, 30 something couple no kids or 20 something couple with no kids. We all wanted for nothing. The service was second to none and the staff went out of their way every minute of the day to make sure we were having the time of our lives. The restaurant is all inclusive but do not think for a second that it's mass produced buffet food. This hotel puts all other all inclusives to shame. There was world class fine dining in all restaurants ( the carpaccio in Lucca is to die for) and delicious casual meals by the pool (best hotel sushi ) Room service was mind blowing. I travel a lot for my job, about 150 nights away in luxury hotels in the US, Asia and Europe and this is by far the most impressive hotel I've stayed at (second to this is the new Ritz Carlton in Hong Kong if that helps). There were plenty of activities water volleyball, beach volleyball and beach soccer which was great with a large group who are very competitive! Lots if laughs to be had. The drinks menu was great but the bar tenders will literally make whatever your heart desires. This is a must stay hotel! 6 stars!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Katrina L
Thank you so much Katrina for sharing your feelings on your beautiful wedding stay at our property this past November. To read such glorious descriptions from someone with your qualified travel experience is certainly a great honor for our resort. Our goal is to provide fulfilling experiences such as yours for all of our valuable guests. I am pleased to read that every aspect of your stay was very positive, such as our “world class” gourmet restaurants and our “mind blowing room service” as you so kindly write. And to be able to satisfy a group of 20 with wedding plans and leisure time makes us feel that we did our job properly on both fronts. Katrina, it would be our honor to be at your service when you make plans for your anniversary. Thank you again and kind regards to Australia.

McAlester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

With three visits under or belt to this resort (& hopefully more to come, shortly), I can say that what we experienced on our first trip wasn't a fluke.... The service, facility, view, food & manicured landscaping is second to none.

Room Tip: The azul restaurant is great. Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your positive comments and most of all for your continued loyalty to Grand Velas. Your kind reflections are a great motivator for our staff, and please be assured that your review will be posted for all of our 560 employees to read and enjoy. Take care and we look forward to your next visit with us.

USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

We have been to Puerto Vallarta 10+ times over the years. We usually stay at the old Dreams Puerto Vallarta, 5 minutes from downtown....but we wanted to try something new since we were booking using American Express travel and using our airmiles. We were traveling with our three daughters, ages 3.5, 2.5 and 6.5 months. We stayed Dec. 15-20 for 5 nights.

Pros:

- beautiful pools
- excellent well kept grounds
- great service (more on this later)
- stayed at a gorgeous Ambassador Penthouse Suite #937
- every room has a pool/ocean view
- food was above average
- nice spa (but obviously overpriced) and workout amenities
- nice, big and updated rooms
- nice kiddie pool and water temps weren't too cold

Cons:

- Kids Club did not have many activities the week we were there. The day we left, they had Kids Cinema, the monkey mascot walking around, a kids disco, etc. Apparently we weren't there for "high season" and so they skimped back all the kids activities
- one night they had their annual staff holiday party and were doing bass/sound checks all evening
- the night of their Xmas party there were no staff to serve customers. Took 1.5 hours to order 5 waterbottles from room service
- service at restaurants was terrible the night of their party. Maybe staff up?
- Drinks were watered down and Dreams had more variety than Grand Velas
- NO entertainment past 6pm. No shows. Nothing. Boring. Of course they had a live band for their hotel staff and us hotel guests just looked on at their party from our balconies
- the beach isn't private/secluded like the cliffs on each side they have at Dreams Puerto Vallarta. I didn't feel as safe with my 3 girls on the beach. My husband went for a walk one evening by himself (it was a full moon) and almost got jumped by some strange looking fellow
- we could only dine at 2 out of their 3 restaurants. The French restaurant was for adults only or children over the age of 12. So with having 2 toddlers and a baby, we weren't allowed to try it
- buffet food was excellent for breakfast and lunch but dinner was terrible. Nobody ate at the buffet
- coudn't use the swim up bar because we had the girls with us
- couldn't go into lobby bar because we had the girls with us
- I'm glad my children enjoy high-end foods but they had no kids meals except for chicken nuggets, french fries and quesidillas. Try having your kids eat only that for a week! I heard kids whining/complaining that there was no mac and cheese LOL
- the food was high-end and presented beautifully but how on earth do you expect kids to sit through a 2+ hour dinner service? 3 waiters per table was nice to have the extra attention but All the kids (Including ours) brought along their ipads to the dinner table as there is no way that they could ever last that long. I, as a mom, tried my best to keep my children well behaved and quiet for others to enjoy their meals but I didn't need the added stress of going out to dinner like that every evening. We go out in Portland with our girls all the time and they are very well behaved, but 2+ hours of keeping them quiet while a couple next to us is being serenaded by a pianist is kinda unrealistic
- most gift shops have puree babyfood (thankfully when I ran out they were able to give me soups, mashed potatoes, etc for my baby and I knew Walmart was a 10 min cab ride away)
- I felt a little too far away from Puerto Vallarta downtown. Next time we won't go to Nuevo Vallarta
- even though it was "All Inclusive", they made you sign your check/bill after every meal. It had the "prices" as to what everything would have cost. They say tips were included in the all-inclusive but by "signing the bill", I felt like I was being forced to tip.....kinda defeats the purpose of all inclusive. I tip for service that went "above and beyond" but not when it took them 1.5 hours to bring up 5 waterbottles to our room and then be forced to sign a slip with a spot for tip there
- no children allowed in hot tub for them to warm up. Thank goodness we had our own penthouse suite/terrace where we had a hot tub.

Grand Velas is good for honeymooners, older adults, etc. Not for families. Their kids club is sub par. Go to Dreams Puerto Vallarta where they have more family friendly activities. Dreams Puerto Vallarta has Disney movies playing on a big screen on the beach, nightly theme nights, baby sea turtle release at sunset into the ocean, campout's on the beach, etc. The kids at their Kids Club don't want to return to their parents. And it's ages 3+ whereas the one here at Grand Velas was ages 4+.

Room Tip: Get an ambassader suite! Worth the upgrade
4 Thank sweetpolishgirl08
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I do understand the importance of having our small child clients happy and active during their vacation. It does take a lot of time for parents to manage the little ones when traveling away from home. Our children’s program is as you mentioned for kids four years and older. We feel that to organize and handle younger kids or babies, really falls into a babysitting and nursery category. In all fairness, and apart from our personal babysitting services, we are not fully certified for those kinds of responsibilities. I do however apologize for not meeting your expectations on our kids club and for creating the impression you felt that we were “skimping” on you. Actually in the holiday seasons such as Christmas, Easter and summer we “bump up” our normal children’s activities to a level such as you described, because we know that those are times of high volume of children. And accordingly, we put a little more focus on the quantity of children clients than in moderate or normal vacation times. We will however revise our age policy in order to accept children less than 3 years of age. We are constantly increasing the kid’s spectrum of activities and thanks to your comments we will look for a strategy that allows the little ones to dine one hour earlier and be able to use the kids club in order that they can be well entertained while the parents can dine calmly and worry free. Apart from having internal and external club areas, we must also cater to the adolescent and adult segments of our clientele. Our ambience is a carefully measured mix for all ages and not quite the dominating fanfare of a Club Med, Disneyland or Dreams. We take all these factors into consideration to improve our product, because we do not like to be second best to anybody. I am glad that many of the other aspects to your stay were to your satisfaction including your accommodations and our swimming areas. And I do thank you for the marvelous photos that you posted, and I hope that the memories of your stay at Grand Velas be positive ones. Thank you and all the best for 2014.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

We (two families of 4) stayed at this resort in August 2013 and it was a fantastic 5 star VIP experience. From before the trip; the concierge had upgraded our rooms (thank-you Karina), arranged VIP airport pick-up and helped with excursions. Nuevo Vallarta is upscale to Puerto Vallarta and only 15 mins away, Same distance from the airport. This resort is small, luxurious and the service is magnificient. As an example of the personal care, guests are received with warm hospitality in the lobby, seated on sofas and offered a drink and head-neck massage while the check-in is essentially done for them. The staff were courteous, attentive and attended to all our needs (thank-you Alicia). The only small sour note was our assigned concierge, Ernesto, who took us to our rooms and called us only once on the phone after while disappearing for our 7 day stay, not bothering even to say hello when we crossed paths.
The beach was very well maintained, clean with drinks/food service provided. The water was warm in August and the sand was not the finest but still white and clean. Our family preferred the beach which had nice medium size waves while the other preferred the three level infinite pool with a swim-up bar. Both were equally happy.
The food at the main family friendly breakfast/lunch/supper restaurant Azul was average (the buffet was so-so except for breakfast which was very good) to good depending on the dish. The food at the three upscale, formal, dinner restaurants Frida (Mexican), Lucca (Italian) and Piaf (French) was very good to excellent with the latter being top notch. Again the staff catered to every need including one of us who only ate Escargos (4 plates) and deserts not on the menu. Room service dishes were very good.
The world-class award winning spa is a bonus though not cheap but with normal market prices.
Overall I highly recommend this pricey but well worth it resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 7437433
Thank you for your feelings and your perceptions of your family stay with us this last August. Our concierge services are generally top notch as noted with the great work of Karina who was able to accommodate your special suite requests to your satisfaction. I do however apologize for the inactions of your butler, who had not exhibited the personalized service nor the pro activity that we strive for. However Karina has mentioned to me that your level of comfort throughout your stay was highly pleasurable and satisfactory. I am pleased that your family was able to enjoy the diverse selection of areas that are available. Be it on the natural sand of our beach, or in our extensive swimming pools. An advantage of residing at Grand Velas is the diverse menus that can be encountered throughout our four restaurants, snack area and suite service. The selections that are offered from our ample menus and buffets will appeal to all of our guests so that one can really enjoy the plates that please them most and even ask for more. As was in your experience with our famous escargots. And as you so kindly referred to, you can ask for something not on the menu, and if it is within our means we will gladly prepare the specialty that you have a desire for. I am especially proud that you found great value for the price that you invested. For us, it is our goal to have every guest feel a warm satisfaction in their decision on reserving with us that is felt throughout every moment and aspect of their entire stay. From reservation right up to check out, the satisfaction of your family is paramount to us. Thank you kindly for selecting Grand Velas, and we as a team hope to be able to host you again in the future. Warm greetings to Montreal. Bonjour.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
#6 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,027 reviews
Paradise Village Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!