“Exceptional Week at the Grand Velas”

Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I arrived at the stunning Grand Velas my new "home away from home" on July 13th, for a superb week long stay of rejuvenation and relaxation. I've been greatly looking forward to writing my review of this exceptional property, which truly earns its Five Diamond rating.
Lobby : Upon arrival, marveled at the stunning open air lobby characterized by a gorgeous thatched palapa roof and its centerpiece water fountain. The Check In process was thoroughly smooth and efficient as they sat you down on the sofa, welcomed with a cool Hibiscus chiller and cool towel.
Suite: Our family's suite was a Parlor Ocean View suite situated on the sixth floor which offered stunning panoramic view of the Sierra Madres Mountains along with the Ocean. The suite's 1000 square feet offered great spaciousness with a private living area with its' own flat screen separated by the King bedroom with shutters. Housekeeping was always prompt, with the room cleaned twice a day with turndown service. We ordered Room Service countless mornings for its vast selection, always arriving promptly on time, served piping hot.
Pools: The three infinity pools were kept sparkling clean, with the main pool's infinity ledge overlooking the Pacific Ocean The bartenders at the swim-up bar had a wonderful personalities and served up delicious cocktails, particularly the Mudslides and Mojitos.
Beach: The stretch of beach was lovely with golden sand and the picturesque waters ideal for some fantastic boogie-boarding.
Restaurants:
Azul- fantastic spot for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner surrounded by the cool ocean breezes. The Buffet and offered menu items were both delicious and Recommendations: The Huevos Rancheros and Eggs Benedict for Breakfast, Asian Corner, Salmon in Goat Cheese and Diabla Shrimp for Lunch
Frida: Exquisite service with delectable gourmet Mexican offerings, especially the Cactus Soup and the Duck Breast in a Tamarind and Chocolate Sauce Mmm :)
Lucca: Delicious authentic Italian offerings, particularly the Lobster Salad and the Eggplant Parmesan. Two Words sums up my favorite meal of the week: Veal Osso Buco

Piaf: The most extraordinary restaurant in my book, the attention to the detail in each of the chef's offerings in my sampled 5- course tasting menu was exquisite. Also, highly recommend the Rack of Lamb topped with Fois Gras.

Lobby Bar: Perfect Evening spot for cool refreshing cocktails ( Recommend the Coconut Martini) to the rhythms of the Latin band.

Activities: My favorite activity offered at the resort was definitely the bike tour which was a smooth and vast ride through the Nuevo development, where on two different occasions visited the local zoo ( gorgeous Snow Leopard and Bengal Tigers) and Vallarta Adventures to see the dolphins and Sea Lion.
The entire staff on property strived to provide the best possible service, and always followed up on any requests, calling you by name. I'd especially like to thank Ixchel Mendoza ( Chief Concierge) and Alicia Pena (Concierge) who went out of the way to make our stay truly memorable.

I'm missing the Grand Velas already and cannot wait for my return "home"!

4  Thank Rob R
Vanessa M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Thank you Rob, for such an enlightening and detailed review of Grand Velas. Your new “home” as you so nicely put it. The commentary itself takes one through a diary of your vacation, with vivid notes on the many facets of our service and product that you were able to experience. And I must say that living so close to the “Dining Mecca” of New York, it is an honor for me to read your specific reviews on our four restaurants. Perhaps a Grand Velas in Manhattan will be our next quest. Rob, thank you for sharing your splendid review to the world on TripAdvisor and please feel free to introduce yourself to me on your next visit, so that I may have the pleasure of thanking you in person. Take care and by the way: I think I will take your recommendation and have the Rack of Lamb topped with Fois Gras tonight in Piaf.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,632)

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I love this place! The atmosphere is fantastic. The hotel is on water-front property where the spacious rooms all have water views. There are five pools (counting the kiddie pool and the hot tub) also with right on the water. The beach is hospitable with smooth sand. The service is among the best I have ever encountered. Truth be told, I rate all other hotel experiences against this one because this hotel and the service is among the best I have ever experienced.

There are three fine dining establishments on site, Lucca (Italian), Frida (Mexican), and Piaf (French). There is also a restaurant called Azul that is more for casual dining and offers an attractive buffet. Of course, if you prefer a more quiet or private arrangement, there is always room service. Nothing wrong with enjoying a fabulous meal on the balcony.

If you get the chance to go to Grand Velas in Riviera Nayarit, take it!

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor have easiest access to the pools, but I prefer a room on a higher floor bec...
1  Thank Teri W

May 1-5, 2013 Grand Velas Nuevo Vallarta

Mom and I arrived at Grand Velas May 1st. What a great site after a long 6-7 hour drive. Pulling into that huge Palapa covered entrance, stepping out into a magical lobby, open aired, water fountain in middle, huge, with a view from entrance thru lobby to ocean, wonderful.

Bellboys emptied car of luggage and we were escorted to lovely couches, given welcome cocktail of Hibiscus water and paperwork for check in was done as we relaxed. They delivered our luggage to room while we were there and placed each one where we liked..

Our personal concierge, Ernesto Navarro, then brought us to our room, not without asking if we wanted a tour of property first but having been to Grand Velas twice before felt unnecessary. Off to Room 742, a surprise upgrade for being a repeat Group Velas Resort visitor. The room a Governor , two bedroom suite, what can I say but WOW!!! You enter into a huge open space, of course all floors and bathrooms are marble. Straight ahead a glass topped square table for 6, a counter space to left with kitchen like area, an in suite mini bar, stocked with sodas, juice, milk for coffee, beer etc. , an ice bucket, a coffee maker, the type with pods,( ok yes the concierge had to show me how to use LOL), glasses, cups, spoons, sugar, splenda, a basket of snack foods. Bottled water in refrigerator and in each bathroom every day, need more just call. Then beyond that a large living room with sliders onto an extremely large balcony that wraps around ( more on that in a bit). There are chairs, couches, coffee table, armoire with flat screen tv, interactive mind you, lillies on a side table in a vase scenting the entire room. Oriental rugs hanging on walls. To right and left of living room are the bedrooms, but first just before dining room is a full bathroom, with jacuzzi tub to boot.

The room is stupendously spacious, you know how I love space if you follow my posts, well, this is SPACIOUS!!!
The master bedroom a king size bed, down comforter and pillows of course, sliders straight ahead and to the side, to balcony. A walk in closet, with iron, weight scale ( eww), electronic safe, large size, slippers and robes. Lots of hanging and shelf space...The room also has a desk and chair, and its own bathroom with seperate toilet, sink, shower and larger jacuzzi tub with glass overlooking ocean...of course there is also an armoire in this room as well with interactive flat screen tv, clock which is an ipod dock as well.
The sliders straight ahead lead to a hot tub on the balcony, with numerous jets, heat, etc..many settings...two loungers, towels, around the corner is an area with 2 chairs and a table, this is actually off the living room, we had many a room service breakfast out there. And there is even more space...yes..across the room to other side of unit..
The Second bedroom, 2 queen beds, an armoire with same interactive tv, side tables, ipod dock clock, mirrors, a large bathroom with closet, another electronic safe, toilet, jacuzzi tub, shower, scale, slippers, robes, you name it. we have it and SPACE...ah yes there are also sliders off this bedroom as well which lead out onto a balcony which has 2 chairs and a small table.

Each day the in suite minibar is restocked, the snack basket, and the bathroom with amenities, oh I did not tell you about those did I. Lovely amenities, cotton balls, q-tips, facecloths, BVLGARI amenities, body lotion, shampoo, hair conditioner, shower gel, shaving cream, loofa sponges, sewing kits, shower caps, again restocked every day as needed.

The view from the unit was incredible, one side overlooking the 3 pools and grounds which of course are so meticuously manicured, the other overlooking the ocean...spectactular. So now we know my next return visit there with hubby will have to be in this type of room. Okay I will admit beyond spacious!!! 3 bathrooms, 3 Tv's, space and more space what more could I ask for..

So many improvements from my stay more than a year and a half ago, but same as in Feb, but that was so quick lots did not get noticed. They do have a new managing director, so he has made these positive changes I am sure. No more towel cards, pins, board whatever it was. You go to towel hut, get towel and one of waiters there helps you find a lounger if you need help. We had no problems sitting where we wished, there were lots of folks sitting by kiddie pool, and more on beach which has cabanas, service and all. We mostly sat by middle pool. The pools have different temps, heated somewhat, and the front one is infinity overlooking ocean. There is also a jacuzzi area to side of pools. Chairs are teak loungers with pads, umbrellas etc. The whole resort is very spacious, clean, manicured, Koi ponds, water lillies, quiet nooks and crannies to sit etc. Tranquility and peaceful atmosphere.

We had lunch by pool one day in our loungers, delicious Kobie beef hamburger, fries, and Blue Hawaiian drinks served by Hugo, our waiter, who was so attentive and just the best pool waiter we had. My mom forgot her sandals as we were heading back to room one day and he chased her to give them to her, putting them on ground and helping her place her feet into them, such a gentleman or service to a tee! Need I say our food was great. There is daily entertainment and activities programs, one day there was a mariachi band playing which had to have 10 players....living in Jalisco and near Guadalajara, I know my Mariachi and it was awesome. They also have a kids club, oh excuse me a Grand Kids Club for ages 4-12 open from 9am to 8pm. Peeked in, looked great, but no kids with me this trip anyway.
They have also on site non-motorized sports boogie boards, kayak, scuba diving demos in pool.

The gym, a life fitness gym is well stocked.. and inviting. They have yoga and pilates lessons even. Had I been with hubby I would have utilized some things and he would have loved it. The spa was calling my name as well, but alas, mom is not into that so since this was an early Mother's Day celebration I chose to wait for another time. DRAT! shhh..

We shopped in the store on site which had some food items, some quality tequilas, vanilla, jewelry, and yes designer clothing etc. Very impressive store. Pricey but of good quality. No I did not buy anything this trip. So I guess we browsed, but in hindsight I wish I had bought a certain beach bag with Grand Velas logo to take traveling with me like my Casa Velas one, and I had my eye on a bathing suit and coverup. No worry I go often enough to area to return. You know now that I think about it we never left the resort, all our needs were met, we have been to Nuevo many times and this was a short 5 day stay so we relaxed. ahhh..

We spent a few nights in the Lobby Bar, which has live music, great martini list, comfy chairs, couches, tables etc. Good friendly service.

Your wish was their desire...anything you asked for was followed up by a call to be sure it was received, so excellent follow up, quality control as opposed to before. Room service a follow up call, ordered ice, follow up call, a mat for tub, follow up call. Had the do not disturb pillow per say on door and night turn down service came, a note under door, and a follow up call, if you decided later you wanted turn down just call. Our concierge checked on us frequently, as did the head concierge in lobby. A sweetie with a Mayan name , of course I did not write down Xechel ( ???) so sorry. She was great!! One day in beginning of our stay , mom mentioned Ipad and being new to it, and she noted Ernesto our concierge using one so asked him a question, he offered to come at a convenient time to show her how to use a little, again.. a desire to please, go above and beyond...Ernesto Navarro our concierge deserves a star for sure!

We enjoyed plenty of time in this beautiful suite of ours, inside and out in hot-tub, on balcony, etc. Breakfast every day was in room, via room service, served, efficiently, warm, correctly and timely...some days on balcony, and some in our dining room, what fun..
Now to the dinners, yes the restaurants. We enjoyed lunch most days at the oceanfront restaurant Azul. You could get buffet or order off menu, both were extensive. Cleanest buffet I have yet to see. Huge variety. We had some great lunches and they had a shrimp tempura dish to die for...drinks, whatever you like just ask, they have domestic and international premium brands. They also had diet desserts, yes sweets made with splenda..yum.. and less calories.

We dined at Frida , the Mexican fine dining Restaurant once. The hostess was very observant, noting we were chilly upon entering and immediately called to have A/C lowered. I do find many times the A/C is too cool for dressier sleeveless dresses, sandals etc.. The decor is of course fine Mexican with Frida pictures about. We had a great meal and drinks and enjoyed our time lots. The music that night in restaurant we felt was a bit loud for dining but so be it in Mexico and this was Mexican dining LOL. The service was good but fell behind the other two fine dining restaurants on site in service. The service was good but the other two restaurants it was great. We also would have liked to have seen some traditional Mexican fare, like Chiles en Nogada or even a Mexican variety, sopas, lengua tacos, tamales etc.. or maybe we missed them.. Either way we had a good meal and a lovely time.

We dined at Piaf, the traditional French cuisine Restaurant twice. The decor is elegant, yellow, upscale. Nevith was our hostess...very friendly and professional. When I made my second night of reservations directly with her she asked if we were celebrating anything special and I told her Mother's Day early, she remembered two days later ,that it was our last night and our celebration, having them surprise us with a lovely dessert saying Happy Mother's Day in French, and giving us lovely gifts on way out of beautiful shawls. Our waiters at Piaf , all of them were great, and Francisco and Rudolfo were excellent. The wine list is extensive, some do have an extra charge but even the AI wine list was extensive. Not being wine drinkers we did not partake other than to browse per say. On different nights mom and I both had Rack of Lamb which was delicious, looked like a small portion but goodness we were stuffed. We also had the salmon which was delicious and mom had filet mignon, very tender and tasty. The choices are many for each course, so a before dinner drink is in order to savor while deciding on what you will dine on. We did have some specialty drinks in the two nights one being a Black Orchid martini, which was just spectactular and different. made with vodka, blue curacoa, casis, Grand Marnier, and cranberry juice. We also had a Mezcal Specialty which is usually served in the Mexican Restaurant but this is where the Italian and French restaurants excelled, they made numerous suggestions on desserts, main course, specialites of night, meal and drinks and such. It was a toss up for each of us on which was better the Mexican Mezcal Specialty drink made with El Senorio Mezcal, Hibiscus water, sparkling water and Grand Marnier in a chili rimmed glass or the Black Orchid Martini. They made the drinks tableside via a rolling cart, very unique experience. I am going to go shopping for the brand of Mezcal and then have a girls get-together for a tasting of a few of Grand Velas drinks, since I told them and they insisted on trying and who knows maybe a girls trip for a week to Grand Velas...I like that idea! Sebastin the restaurant manager of Piaf checked on us frequently , again quality control. Desserts we had Hazlenut Souffle one night ( very good requires early ordering as takes over 20 minutes to prepare but they tell you this when ordering your meal). The other night we had Creme Brulee, it was very good but I do have to give credit to their sister resort Casa Velas for the best Creme Brulee. After dinner we had Agavero tequila on the rocks, which I do like for sipping. Then they present you with yet more surprises Truffles from the chef saying Merci ( thank you in French) Piaf! Nice touch. We even got to meet the chef of Piaf while there and oh yes the tourist in me could not resist so I have pictures. I did neglect to take pictures of some of the staff I meant to though, sadly. I hope to attach a video after this review to show things I have spoken of here.

Are you full yet? We dined one night also at Lucca, their Italian Mediterranean Restaurant. Raquel our hostess again friendly. Gustavo, the managing director attentive in an unobtrusive way and our waiters Pedro and Christian, both of whom were very professional, efficient but yet had a whimsy or humor as well about them which was fun. Suggestions again for drinks, a Stiletto martini, why not? We did hesitate but ? Christian said "why not,? are you driving?" Oh I laughed. It was a very creamy, luscious martini. The portions in Italian were very large so we ordered half orders. I had lasagna mom rack of lamb I think, both were really good. The dessert after was Cannoli for us, yummy. We left each meal just so full, satisfied and happy with service.

In summary of these fine restaurants they do require reservations, but I just made mine online before our arrival, except our last night I made in person. The concierge Ernesto confirmed them with his Ipad upon our room orientation. Piaf allows children but only those over 12 years old, the other two children are allowed. We did arrive one night early for our reserved time at one of the restaurants either Lucca or Piaf but it was not an issue. There is a dress code for these specialty restaurants, casual formal, ie: no shorts, caps, tank tops, closed toe shoes for men, no flip flops etc..).

So many good improvements made all the difference for me. This is certainly a five star all around resort from grounds, pool, rooms, food, drinks, service, check in and check out. Ha..check out was a breeze, you can check on the TV in your room any additional charges, pay the night before, go turn in keys on day of departure, we had valet parking, they loaded our luggage and sadly off we went. Oh yes another change and a memory keepsake for us, the bracelets, a few years ago they were a wooden plaque style not they are a braided hemp like material with a silver medallion, very similar to Casa Velas'. So I saved as a memory. ( February was such a short trip I paid little attention to detail, plus I had my grandson on my mind, who was going to Velas Vallarta in PV).

I really liked Grand Velas this trip, every thing was very good, staff was great. I will go back and recommend all to try it...A Place where magic begins for sure!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank bezerk
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We just got home last night and I couldn't wait to write a raving review! Where do I start?!
Here's my top 10!!
1. Beautiful property - great accents and lovely layout
2. Super clean - everywhere!
3. Food was so yummy and dinners had gourmet like menus --- beautiful presentation and even better tasting. Didn't feel like an "all inclusive" to us
4. Georgina, our concierge provided spectacular service and was so helpful w dinner planning.
5. The little bazaar market on the beach had lovely items and were very amenable to my hard core negotiation :-)
6. The pool and pool activities kept everyone busy and smiling - lots of variety
7. SPA - 6 stars - umm actually 8 on a 1-5 scale!
8. Great wine list!
9. Did I mention the spa!??! Def get the the 4 hands water massage!
10. Our son had the makings of an ear infection and I had a red inflamed eye. I visited the concierge to ask about a doctor - and he was there 10 min later! Our appt occurred in the lobby and w in 35 min after our appt ended ~ the concierge was knocking on our door w medicine WOW!!! Over the top service. !

We love love this property and all the staff. We travel to resort properties often and this was one of the best EVER!
Sad to return to reality!

Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Awarmstrong12
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We have been to the Grand Velas in Cancun two times and thought we would try their resort at the Riviera Nayarit. Each time we stayed in the Grand Class Category room. Around $1000 per night. Unfortunately, one of our flights was canceled the day we were leaving on our trip. This caused us to miss our connecting flight to Puerto Vallarta. I immediately called the Grand Velas to inform them we would be delayed by one day. In fact, I called them a total of 3 times to provide updates on our arrival. We had taken advantage of their promotion of 4 nights for the price of 3. When we arrived I asked if we would be charged a no show fee. They said they would look into it and get back to us during our stay, they didn't. At check out they charged a $920 no show penalty. I asked to speak to a manager, they said none where on site. I wrote a letter during check out to the manager with an explanation of what had happened and I asked for an email or call. I have never heard from them. I had to pay or we weren't being allowed to leave. Like I said, on two other occasions we had stayed at there property spending an average of $10,000 per visit. The Riviera Nayarit was a complete disappointment and we will not return to one of their properties every. I even provide 3 screen print outs from my smart phone to prove I had called their reservations department 3 times on the day our flight was canceled. I would expect a the courtesy of a call or email but they have never attempted to contact me. Too bad Grand Velas, you won't see another dime from us!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
16  Thank Charles S
Ixchel M, General Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Mr. Smith

We are extremely concerned and sorry about the experience with us, off course it is never pleasant to hear that one of our guests has encountered dissatisfaction during their stay. Your observations have been evaluated by all our different divisions’ managers, and taken upon consideration, resulting of specific actions and improvements.
At your convenience please respond to the email that Mr. Gutierrez sent to you.
Once again, we apologize for not having met your expectations and thank you for sharing your comments with us..

We hope you give us an opportunity to host and serve you in the near future.

Best Regards

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We had an awesome week at Gran Velas. The service was so superior to other all-inclusive resorts. The meals were fabulous. The Italian restraunt was our pick. We barely left the resort. The recreational activities were lots of fun. We would love to visit again. If you can not be happy at Gran Velas you can not be happy.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank tnjeff
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Just returned from Grand Velas & will share while it's all still fresh. My husband & I traveled with our 12 year old daughter and were at the Velas for the week. Our expectations were mixed and we have traveled Mexico a few times in the past including another all inclusive resort in Cancun.

Upon our arrival we were greeted with several friendly and accommodating staff members. I do not exaggerate by saying this is THE best arrival we have ever encountered at a resort. Our bags were handled, our concierge led us to a beautiful seated area, we were brought a fresh damp infused washcloth to refresh, hibiscus iced tea AND a mini neck message from a spa attendant while our concierge checked us in and returned with our welcome packet and necessary information. The reception area is grand and absolutely beautiful and enticing. The warm and friendly staff made us feel at home and welcome. We were shown to our room (Master suite - which is only the standard room) and were delighted with the spaciousness and small extras that really made a big difference for us (mini bar stocked with complimentary drinks and snacks each day, L'Occitaine toiletries, beautiful bedding, slippers, beach basket, etc.). Our balcony had a great "bed" for the perfect afternoon siesta while listening to the waves as well as a chair and side table. The bathroom was wonderful, generous space, jacuzzi tub, walk in shower, double sinks, make up / mirror area & separate commode.

We were impressed with the grounds and pool area - felt they were represented very accurately on the website, this site & elsewhere. (yes, it's that beautiful!!) There are tons of poolside chairs, umbrellas and seating areas both covered and in full sun - come day 3, it's nice to have the option of still being outside and not in full sun, trust me! Swim.Up.Bar = awesome! The pools are really wonderful, we found it hard to be anywhere else to be honest, great temperature, beautiful surroundings, great view and drinks right there. The beach is marginal, but the water is warm and oh so enjoyable. There are small cabanas & many beach lounge chairs set out on the beach and these we found to be very accessible when the pool area was not available (more on that later). Kayaks and boogie boards are readily available and included in the inclusive package. We completely enjoyed the Kayak tour one of the mornings and learned a great deal about the area and the local ocean. I lost a great pair of sunglasses while boarding with my daughter, but we had so much fun I was quickly over it. Watch out for the sting rays, they are quite prolific even in the shallow water, you'll see them as the waves crash on shore. Though we were touched by plenty of them, we had no negative encounters, but just be aware.

Over all we thought the food was good to very good. Certainly better than any other resort inclusive we've encountered. First morning we had room service for breakfast - it was good, not great. We elected to head to Azul the rest of the days for breakfast and found that better - head to the omelette bar. The fresh fruit & juice selection is wonderful. These were our mainstays. We ate here most of the time for lunch as well and found the selection to be good for all of us (there is a separate children's buffet with the usual kid friendly favorites). It is all very adequate and you'll be able to find something but I can see that it would get a little old after a few days. Truly the cuisine highlight of this resort are the specialty restaurants Frieda, Lucca & Piaf which are really good. Do not miss them and get reservations made before you arrive (via email). I'm very hard pressed to name my favorite, but they are worthwhile and you absolutely will enjoy the menu selections and the attentive service. I even found that my daughter was being a little more adventurous by reading through the selections and making choices that we haven't seen her do before - outside the realm of mac & cheese, chicken fingers, sandwiches! Great opportunity for kids to expand their cuisine horizons. They will bring you whatever you need though, even if it isn't on the menu, though we didn't throw that option out to her. They also made her a "dinner cocktail" which made her feel special each night as well. We even tried their special dinner cocktail a few nights (of the adult variety) and were pleasantly surprised. The inclusive wine list is pretty basic, but we found a few gems on there that were tried and true - French sparkling rosé and a Chilean sav. blanc. There is also an additional "extra cost" wine list that is solid.

It is pretty hot and humid here during this time of year (thunder storm in the evening pretty usual) so the AC is cranked up pretty high in the rooms. I find this constant extreme very hard on my immune system and I finally adjusted the temp of our room to be less extreme. I found again, after a couple days, your body adjusts as well and the heat is less hot. Unlike many places, the temp. controls in the rooms, worked very well.

My only issues at all with this resort were minor and a matter of preference no doubt. When we arrived, I did notice a long table to the side with a sign "Edward Jones Tours". Confirming with our concierge that there was in fact a large (250 pp) conference going on put everything in a slightly different light for me. I completely understand why this resort takes these large groups and certainly respect their prerogative and business model to do so. At no time did I feel neglected due to the EJ crowd by staff. I was irritated when on our first morning we could not find ANY pool chairs available because they were all saved well in advance. We did find some great chairs by the beach however and the following day, got in the early morning "save your spot" kind of mode. At various times I observed little pay offs happening with pool attendants put in charge of handling large blocks of chair "reservations". It is they way things are done in Mexico, so I guess you roll with it to get what you want. Aside from this, I didn't feel terribly impacted by the conference crowd.

For me, cocktails were pretty watered down. But if you're in the pool most of the day, that's probably a good thing. I like things a little on the harder side and not so fruity and light. They are very available though and the bar service is attentive and good.

I'm always a little shocked when a facility of this caliber charges for wifi, especially given that they cater to the business conference crowd (separate charge for each device). Being a bit of a workaholic, this is a difficult thing for me. Between my husband, daughter and I we could have easily spent $200+ in wifi. We made the conscious decision to put work on ice and disconnect for a few days and ultimately that was a good thing, I don't remember the last time I just let it all go. By day 3, you won't even care quite honestly because you will be in the groove of enjoying where you are and you'll realize that whatever is happening on your iPhone/iPad can wait until you're done with a gracious dose of the good life!

3  Thank Canafornian
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
#6 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!