“One of the best vacations!”

Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Probably the best service I have ever had at any resort. We booked this trip on Orbitz and I did read a lot of the reviews and even though I agree with a lot of the Two and Three Stars, I just believe that there was too much good that outweighed some of the bad. I don't think you can find a resort that is perfect in anyway because a lot of it has to do with the people that are staying that which is out of the staff and hotel's control.

When we arrived we took the VIP service transportation which you can get to from the airport, they have a kiosk and they can bill directly to your room. I liked this because I was not familiar with the taxi service there and I didn't want the hassle to figure it out when I arrive on vacation. Traveling is stressful enough. We arrived and the staff took our luggage while we were greeted with Hibiscus Juice, a cold towel, and a 5 minute massage with a menu of the spa services. I had already contacted someone from the spa via email to schedule a couples massage and it was already in their system.

We stayed in Room 301 which was a very nice suite at the end of the hall facing the ocean and the white pillars. The room was large and spacious, I particularly enjoyed the balcony with a bed that was so nice to lay down in the morning and evenings. The room has a DVD player which I thought was nice but our ipads were already stored with movies. The shower was wonderful, very spacious with a huge jaquzzi tub which I never used :( The mini bar in the room can be stored with whatever beverages you like. In the morning the resort provides you information about pool and beach activities during the day.

We went on a bicycle tour that takes you to Adventures Vallarta where you can plan and schedule any activities such as swimming with the dolphins, booze cruise, and zipline. I felt the only thing the resort lacked was the evening entertainment. It doesn't bring in a crowd.

There were lots of families on this trip, we weren't expecting that, the pool cabana bar was definitely a highlight of our week but we didn't like that children were in the pool. There really needs to be 1 adult pool with the bar service. Also, you need to get up in the morning and save a spot if you want a good location at the pool with an ocean view. We got there around 8am every morning, dropped off our things and headed to lunch. The pool bar doesn't open until 11 but you can order drinks through your pool concierge. The pool didn't play any music which I was disappointed about, but the service at the bar and pool was great. I felt we left making great friends. Juan Vazquez can mix you up a mean cocktail. The best drinks I have ever had!! Alfredo Meza, his partner in crime was wonderful too. At the pool Margarita Ortega was so diligent getting our drinks and food. The food was good but I wouldn't call it amazing, but what do you expect when serving that many people. It was still above average.

The couples massage at the spa was wonderful, one of the best massages I have ever had. Overall, the restaurants and service were wonderful and now that we know that it is very kid friendly we are bringing our kids the next we go. We will be back!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JenniferRae84
Write a ReviewReviews (2,673)

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Me and my Fiance' sent five nights there. It started off just right. A cool face towel with a cool drink as soon as we arrived. A five min massage as we waited while being checked in. Loved the room. spacious and authentic, beautiful view of the beach, plants in the bathroom, just nice until we had to move rooms. Water was leaking from the wall and they didnt no why. So we had to move to another room that was the same minus the beautiful plants in the bathroom.

Food and drinks...We ate so much. We drunk soooo much. SERVICE WAS SUPERB. A true All-INCLUSIVE.

SPA-AMAZING. That was my best time. it was beautiful and the services start with services way before it is time for your massage even starts.

Pool beautiful. Beach okay. I loved it and want to go back.

Room Tip: Beware at the airport. timeshare team is right before you exit airport with margaritas and tequila s...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This resort is Wonderful. We have been here twice. We had a great experience both times. The staff goes above and beyond to make sure you are comfortable. If you are lounging poolside, the waiters make sure you have a drink in hand. They ask you if they can get you food. They will bring you fresh towels without even being asked. One recommendation we would make is that as soon as you check in and get situated in your room, call and make reservations for dinner at the restaurants. They book fast. Also be prepared to follow their dress code for the restaurants as we did see them make one guy go and change his shoes. We ordered breakfast in our rooms each morning and it was terrific! They even set up the table for you, place settings and vase of flowers included! You will leave this place feeling renewed and relaxed and totally spoiled!

Room Tip: The higher the better, the views of the ocean are gorgeous.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BellatheBoston
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We spent 5 days with my family. We have two kids, five and one. The most remarkable is by far the great service of the staff. They are all extremely friendly. The facilities are great. All restaurants serve excellent food. You cannot be disappointed. It is very well planned for kids and families. I would definitely come back. Try it, you won't regret it.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Christian P
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Visit was in june 2007. Hotel:: liked the decor. Just like all the other resorts but this one was mediocre.
Food: same buffet. There weren't any restaurants to anything that really stood out. Wasn't so impressed.
Beach was sooooo dirty. Pool was okay. The pool chairs weren't sturdy. Maybe I wasn't really feeling the moment. I'm really not trying to sound really terrible.
Probably wouldn't return.

Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Dan_Fran_10
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Grand Velas~good , safe and clean!!

Today is my last day in grand velas . I wish I can stay longer ( for sure in next time ).
This all inclusive resort is totally out of mine and my husband's expectation.
Foods are so good. Azul is for breakfast and lunch, food is good with many choices. Service is great! The Mexican food is so yummy.
We selected Grans Velas because of the review of the restaurants -Piaf ( French ), Lucca ( Italian ) and Freida( Mexican ). All of them are fine dining!! Please be prepared, collar shirt and long pants for men( my husband had to buy some new clothing because he didn't bring them).
Piaf is very very good, excellent!!
Lucas is great , too! Service is the best. The manager recommended other bottle of wine to match my husband 's dish!!!
Frida is totally out of my expectation. The performer , Rodrigo , was the highlight of our stay. His singing and guitar was wonderful. We are coming back for the 2nd night to Frida because of him.

Special highlight:
Janeth, Concierge for our floor, is great! She checks us out twice a day ( even we are in the pool area, she comes to find us!!) and make sure everything is good and she helps our needs.
The waiters in the pool area or beach area are just good. My experience , they didn't ask for tips! but I feel so bad that if I didn't give them any because they earned it . Their service is excellent , they deserve to get good tips!!

I stayed in ritz Carlton in Maui and Four Seasons in Bangkok and Chiangmai ...... For sure that Grand Velas is as good as them or even better than them!

For sure, I will come back again!

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Lamblamblamb
Reviewed July 5, 2013

It's all about timing. I read the reviews here and forgot to check the timing. When I was here, it was all families and lots of kids. Some of it was cool to watch: generations coming together as a family. And some was not so cool like the 7-year old kid dropping his swimsuit right infront of me and peeing in the shower area between the pool and the beach. I had just come from a walk on the beach and washed my feet there. Enough said.

What I loved about this experience was the spa and some of the people. The spa is beautiful and if you go ask for Sylvie. She is incredible.Expect the Mexican culture of covering your body, which was surprising to me at a spa. The restaurant is also good and you can navigate to healthy eating with a bit of effort. Fidel, Salvador, Cesar and Johnny will give you a great experience and are hard working and care about guests. I got great soy lattes and even soy in my room since they provide a wonderful Nespresso machine.

The not so good. Cesar Pardies was awful. Both my experience of arriving at the Grand Velas and leaving were horrible because this person should not be working with customers. He accused me of taking the extension cord I asked for since I did not bring it with me at check out. Who knew? Why would I be taking it home? The check-in and check-out experiences were below satisfactory. I have traveled extensively and this was one of my worst experiences.

When my friends and family who knew how important this getaway for me asked me how it was, my response has been it was ok but I was disappointed. I had read all the "solo" reviews and this is a destination for families. I kept overhearing parents telling their kids that it's not okay to pee in the pool after the act. So I stopped going into the pool, which is gorgeous and where I wanted to be. Also, keeping to my clean eating was not as simple as I hoped (I kept being told I was on a diet which I am not). They were super accommodating and thank goodness for the amazing seared salmon but did not have grains but mostly white flours, white rice, etc.

The food is good apart from room service. I used it a few times. The service was good but the food not so much. They could not get me food from the main restaurant and the choices were not very healthy. One day it took over an hour so I cancelled it since it was supposed to be 30 minutes and there were no calls communicating the delay. I also asked for the free GMO food and beverages to be taken out of my room. And every day, I would find some and so I put it on the counter. By the time I left, it was pretty funny to look at the pile.

I wish I would have gone somewhere else that catered to my needs and had a better overall experience. Live and learn.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
#6 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Marival Residences Luxury Resort
Marival Residences Luxury Resort
#4 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!