“Found Heaven on Earth in Mexico!”

Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 7, 2013

If I died and went to heaven, this is what I imagine it would be like. For those of you who have read my previous reviews, you know that I do tend to nit pick, having worked in the industry for 15 years. Honestly. It was impossible to find anything wrong with this resort. First let's start with the service, one word....impeccable. If you want to be waited on and catered to, this is the perfect place. Second, the people, not only the staff, but all the native people we encountered both inside and outside the resort were genuinely beautiful people.

For an all inclusive resort, The food on site was excellent, and the alcohol top shelf. Even the room service food was amazing. And the bartenders were very generous with the alcohol. No watering down drinks here! The staff was well trained and super friendly. They remembered our names as well as what we drank.

The property was meticulously kept. I kept looking for something out of place or in need of repair, but couldn't. The staff as well as the management were on top of everything.

The rooms were simply amazing. The linens were soft and plush. The mattresses and pillows were very comfortable.

If you are looking for a little piece of heaven, you will certainly find it here!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank L0LA917
Velas M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your excellent comments. It’s great to know that you enjoyed the spa, the service, the restaurants, the Jacuzzi, the suites and the pools.
I really hope to have the honor to host you again in the near future. Please feel free to contact me for any kind of assistance.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We spent a small fortune to take our family of 7 here for winter break. This destination has nice rooms and very good food however, the walls must be made of paper. Every single night we were up until 2-3 am because people were out talking on their balconies, some not even loudly, but it seemed like they were inside our room. Nightly calls to security were of no use. If you have small children or if you value your sleep, this is not the place to go. Additionally, despite the fact that we paid a fortune to visit here and a premium surcharge for a "mandatory" new years party, we had no tables reserved for us and this took an hour to straighten out. There were various other hassles we endured mostly related to no record of bookings for things like transportation, roll-away beds, dinner reservations etc. Further, despite the all-inclusive, it is difficult to get chairs at the pool even if you go down at 7 am unless you pay the staff to save you seats.

2  Thank lisafHP
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I must say that I was extremely skeptical of an all-inclusive resort being on par with a 5 star resort, but thank goodness I was wrong. Grand Velas is on par with any Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton experience that I have had. From the rooms, to the food, to the activities, all was outstanding.

The service was perfection, as i almost never carried a plate from the breakfast buffet to my table. It became a goal of mine (and my family) to actually get to the table without someone helping us. I think that I was successful only once in a 7 day period. Aside from that service, all the staff was unreal. So nice, welcoming and diligent. My husband never even had to ask for a beer, it just appeared, and sometimes even 2 at a time.

This could be the most spectacular place for children. This is far more than a kiddie club at a hotel. They have activities all day, and our 9 year old barely wanted to see us. He made friends that I am sure will be long lasting. I felt totally confident in the safety surrounding the resort and letting all the kids wander, eat, and play amongst themselves.

The restaurants are great! The breakfast buffet is a true "dream". Potions at the restaurants are so appropriate and not a huge blob of beef or chicken. I always felt full, but never stuffed. They will cook and fix almost anything you ask for, so don't be shy in asking. Tofu with veggies, no problem. Five spicy tuna rolls, on the way.

Rooms are large, clean and updated. We had spectacular views of the ocean. We had adjoining rooms, with the kids room being a one bedroom suite with 2 queen beds, a living room with a bed and 2 bathrooms, Large enough for no fighting whatsoever. Don't even get me started on the free mini bar and free (included) room service. Perfection.

The beach and pools are awesome. The only drawback is if you are a diver. Not the best beach for that, but great for swimming, body surfing, jet skiing, and running/walking. We walked one morning, only to find major rush hour on the huge stretch of beach in the morning. Runners and walkers alike share this awesome stretch of sand. Warning, in front of the resort ropes is a public beach. That bothered some people, but we had no issue with that. We were at the beach everyday, and other people sitting and enjoying the same ocean did not present any issues for us whatsoever.

All I can say, is that the kids want to go back, as do my husband and I. I must also tell you, that as a traveler, I like to always try different places in different countries, however, i am now a convert and want to return to Grand Velas asap.

Room Tip: Rooms above the lobby can be noisy with music late at night. Opt for a higher floor (ours was 4th a...
2  Thank jbmissner

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit. Comments like yours give us a fabulous opportunity to celebrate!!
I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the restaurants and the service, I will make sure to share your recognition with everybody.
Please contact me if there is anything I can do to make your next stay more enjoyable,

Sincerely!!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

This was a home run!! Fantastic service, beautiful property, gorgeous beach and pool, lovely room, terrific food. Just can't say enough....if you want to chill in Mexico with not a care in the world, this is your place. They bend over backwards to make sure you are comfortable and happy. Food is fantastic (for the most part), and rooms and property are immaculate. And while you pay for WIFI, it works well and quick. The restaurants were truly lovely..I would almost go as far as to say on par with those in any major city ( LA or NYC) not to mention the gym completely adequate..We took our three kids and they had a blast...not a kids club like Four Seasons or Club Med, but they kept themselves busy and can't wait to go back too. The only issue was that the hotel hosted a big group during the middle of our stay and it changed the quiet, open feeling of our stay on the property. I would check to make sure there was not a big group coming in as it might influence our decision to return...other than that, this is a GEM!!!

1  Thank Hungrymungry22

Dear Guest.

First of all, thank you for your preference and for the time you have taken to post your comments regarding your visit to our resort. Our staff will be satisfied to know your appreciation.
Please keep in touch with us for any further information or assistance.
Looking forward to welcome you again soon!

Best Regards!!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

The whole concept of this all-inclusive resort is so well thought out that it made our family vacation nearly perfect. ("Nearly" and not "entirely" because of one incident involving employee attitude, that was far outweighed by all the positives. More on the one issue, and some good advice for those with kids, later.)

Upon arrival, my wife, two teenage girls, nine year old son and I were seated in comfortable, cushioned wicker chairs in the lobby with soaring thatched roof, and presented with hibiscus tea, complimentary five minute massages, and aromatic scents such that you feel you are being indoctrinated into some kind of cult of relaxation...which you are. And it worked!

The rooms are large and clean, with very nice bathrooms and balconies with gorgeous views of the ocean. Only recommendation: ask for a room NOT over the lobby, where there might be late night entertainment.

Pool was fabulous. Beach more so. Service at both: awesome! Can anything beat Dos Equis and spicy tuna rolls brought to your beach cabana quickly, with a friendly attitude, amidst gorgeous sand and waves. Before noon? I think not. As Jimmy Buffet said, it must be five o'clock somewhere, and it is always 5 o'clock at Grand Velas.

For the kids, PLENTY of activities...ping pong, soccer, beach volleyball, blackjack (yes, blackjack!) and the list goes on. Vat of chicken nuggets and fries make the little ones happy...amusing, too, the number of parents and grandparents pilfering from the strategically placed food.

Speaking of food, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food, considering it was "all inclusive." Azul, the largest, and only buffet, among the restaurants, had consistently good food and was never crowded. Beach service included everything from burgers to burritos to the aforementioned spicy tuna rolls, and was excellent. Frida (Mexican) and Lucca (Italian) were very good, and oddly never crowded. Our only complaint about the entire stay involved Piaf, the French restaurant. To be fair, it is clearly stated that no sandals are allowed, and children must be 12 or older in Piaf. So we went anyway...and I was turned away because of my very nice leather (not "beach") sandals. As I had no closed toed shoes other than running shoes, I changed into them and dinner proceeded. No issue, but for their attitude, and the fact that other men, clearly "regulars", came in with sandals and were NOT lectured to or turned away. Anyhow, after we sat and ordered, my son (not 12) arrived after watching the fire show, and was stopped by the hostess. My wife said he was 12, he sat and ate without incident and as well behaved and quiet as anyone in the restaurant. We thought it important that our family eat together, and at home, our son has been in plenty of "fine" restaurants over the past few years. No worries, right? Well, as we left, I was aggressively approached by the manager and lectured that "we know your son is not 12...blah blah blah" in front of my entire family. Again, were we wrong to bring a perfectly behaved 9 year old in? Yes. But the way they handled it, being aggressive and lecturing in front of my children, was horrible. It is the only time in the whole week where we were not showered with helpful service but instead slapped in the face with unnecessary rudeness. And while I did smuggle my perfectly behaved underage eater into Piaf, the manager's reaction was not necessary. At the time, I was quite pissed, but as I said in the intro, I am overlooking one or two employees' rudeness and still giving Grand Velas five stars.

In short, the grounds were beautiful, staff friendly, activities plentiful, food and drink excellent, and overall atmosphere one where adults and children alike can feel comfortable doing their own thing or spending time together. We hope to make it an annual trip.

Room Tip: Not above the lobby where bands may play late into the night.
3  Thank cubfanjim

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the staff of Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit we thank you for your nice comments and for choosing us. It is great to know that you enjoyed every minute at our resort. Please rest assures that I will let everybody know about your recognition, it is always pleasant to hear we have accomplish one of our main goals.

We hope to have the honor to host you again in the near future.

Best Regards!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

We just got back from staying 5 nights and didn't want to leave. The resort was amazing...the pool was perfect, staff was so attentive and friendly, beaches were so beautiful, our room was really nice... Prior to going there, we didn't have the best experience with dining at an all inclusive place but we enjoyed every one of our meals at Grand Velas....Our two kids ages 10 and 9 had so much fun playing in the pool and at the beach. They loved the sand volleyball court, ping pong, ordering drinks at the pool bar, etc. Also, I know many Americans are afraid to travel to Mexico but we felt 100% safe there. The hotel was also so nice that on the day we were leaving they let us check out late (close to 2pm) and we were able to enjoy our whole day by the pool and the beach and even had our last all inclusive lunch after the normal checkout time. We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: we did get a lot of music from the bar below us at nighttime so if you are a sensitive sleeper, you...
1  Thank akbess

Dear Guest.

We truly thank you for your preference, we are very glad to know that you had a fantastic time at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit. Once again thank you for making us part of your birthday. I hope to have the pleasure to see you again next year to celebrate with you such an important day!!
We appreciate your very kind comment; please keep in touch with us for any further information.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed at Barcelo in the past but discovered Grand Velas Spring break of 2012 with our kids. We just fell in love and felt like we were treated like royalties from the time we walked in! They helped us lined up all our family activities from whale/dolphin watching, snorkeling, zip lining to horseback riding to the best place ever! The staff were incredible and catered to our every whip. They were honest (we left our safe open one time and we got a call to let us know & changed our lock). The menus were incredible each day. And we had a great time exploring all the incredible & sophisticated restaurants in the hotel! The staff were top notch...very friendly and respectful! The rooms were uncomparable ...super clean, comfy & luxurious!!! Room service for the kids were impeccable. And the infinity pools....oh my...u don't need to do anything outside this marvelous hotel...but just relax and be treated like queens & kings! My husband and I treated ourselves with a 2 hr spa/massage and I want to take all of them home after that! IT was to die for! The best massages we've ever had! We were so impressed that we decided to go back next Spring break & find out if the service can be topped & we are bringing other friends & families! Our family just came back from Cancun and I must say...so much difference....the whole week we were there I kept telling my husband "I can't wait to go back to Grand Velas!" I just wish that FREE WIFI would be included for customers staying more than 3 days! We were there for 8 days and we hardly went to the business office (with a charge for each use) to share our experience to our families and friends! Hmmmm...

Room Tip: Always book your family outdoor activities w/ the hotel...it will save you guys pain & sorrow! T...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Maria J

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for giving us the opportunity to be part of your vacation. We appreciate your nice comments. I will make sure to congratulate Tony, Ever Forever, Miguel, Francisco, Luis and Ronaldo for such a great work!
I hope to welcome you back again in a near future, and make you feel better than at home.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
#4 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
#6 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!