“Puerto Vallarta Labor DAy Vacation”

Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Hollywood, California, United States
“Puerto Vallarta Labor DAy Vacation”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel is very nice. 3 beautiful restaurants, a italian, mexican, and french inside the hotel. This is a 5 diamond hotel with the 4 night free. And all the meals at this hotels restaurants are included, aswell as all drinks in the hotel. Very beautiful place, I will definitley go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Ixchel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your preference. I am glad to know that you enjoyed our beautiful hotel and restaurants. Please make sure to contact us before your next visit.

Best Regards

imendoza@grandvelas.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Korean first
washington dc
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I traveled with my wife to a corporate event (think sales club trip) in May 2012 at Grand Velas Nuevo Vallarta. My wife made the mistake of taking a valuable piece of family jewelry to the resort - it was stolen during our time there... Not a unique situation I'm sure, but the response from the resort was terrible - they couldn't have cared less, were rude, not helpful and overally pretty awful about the situation. This was of particular suprise given that the company was paying them a small fortune for the 100 people attending the week long event... Ultimately, this is a resort to avoid - the theft and the resort's handling of the theft was the capstone on an otherwise overpriced, poorly serviced and mediocre appearing resort (feels dated and needs a total facelift). My recommendation - STAY AWAY!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
14 Thank richwilli
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion and your travel experiences in this forum. We are concerned to hear that we have disappointed one of our guests and that we weren’t successful in addressing all your needs. Your comments and feedback are certainly being taken into consideration.

Best Regards

San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Grand in design, open and beautiful. Pool relaxing and perfect-food is great and staff are very accommodating. The SPA is most amazing-very experienced staff-stay here it is totally wonderful!.You cannot come here and not relax. The grounds, the people, the dining, the service, the room, the outdoor bed on the balcony, the room service, the beach, the ocean- all like a post card-you gotta go!

Room Tip: view of the pool!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Ixchel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear guest,

We would like to express our most sincere gratitude for your positive review about your stay at our Resort. At Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, it is our compromise to fulfill our guest’s expectations and we do our best to make sure every one of our guest have a great and unique experience.

We sincerely hope to have the fortune of welcoming you back anytime soon, please keep in touch with our concierge Services, we will be glad to assist you in any matter.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My hubby and I came here for our two year anniversary. We initially were looking at adult only resorts but while reading the reviews, it didn't seem like screaming children would be an issue here. While the pool was absolutely beautiful and amazing, about 70% of the guests had small children. There was not an adult only area that we could lounge at except for the jacuzzi area so my hubby and I had not choice but to lounge there. With such a large pool, I'm really surprised that Grand Velas never thought this would be an option.

The buffet food was mediocre although the selection changed daily which was nice. We dined at all four restaurants and found that Frida was the best of the three. All three restaurants had dress codes that didn't allow shorts, t-shirts, or sandals which we didn't mind. What we did mind was while dining at the Italian restaurant, the table next two us literally had 10 small children running around screaming without any parental supervision. It was really difficult for my hubby and I enjoy our meal let alone enjoy the live piano playing the back ground. I can tell that the other guests were just as annoyed with this romper room of a dining experience. The acoustics in the restaurant allowed live music to sound beautifully but it also amplifies screaming, crying children. Perhaps, the restaurant can section off families with small children so that couples who are trying to enjoy their romantic dinner don't end up suffering. They even allow children in the evening entertainment lounge bar so there's really no escaping them. The only restaurant that didn't allow children under 16 was the French restaurant so we really enjoyed the ambiance there.

Overall, the experience was nice but we probably won't be going back. Instead, we will enjoy an adult only resort in the future. I felt the need to emphasize this since our decision to come here was based on the tripadvisor reviews. Couples who want a romantic vacation should really think twice before coming here.

Room Tip: Opt for the High Floor, Ocean view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Wina K
Ixchel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Guest:

We would like to thank you for expressing your feelings regarding your recent stay with us.
Of course it is never pleasant to hear one of our guests has encountered dissatisfaction during their stay. We are committed to excellence without exception and our guest’s satisfaction is the most important point.

We would really appreciate that you give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed August 20, 2012

After many trips to Vallarta, this is by far the best Hotel / Spa I have stayed. The service is excellent since you arrive at the hotel. Everybody provides a personal and superior service at every level.
Food is very good.
And of course the SPA is on of the best in Mexico
If you want to relax and be pampered, this is the place to be.

1 Thank AGMX1
Dear Guest,

It is very nice to know that you enjoyed every minute at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit I really hope to have the honor to host you again in the near future.

Please if there is anything else I could do for you let me know.

Sincerely!

Tustin, California
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed here on August 4th through the 8th. This time around, my husband, my son and I traveled with 3 other families. Between all of us there were 8 adults and 6 boys, ranging from 10 to 3 years-old. We had a wonderful time.
The service was great as usual. From the concierge, Ixchel, to "Castaway", the guy who lead the activities around the pool. The servers around the pool work so hard. The bartenders at the bar were very pleasant and fun.
Food: During this stay, my little family ate breakfast everyday at Azul. We ate lunch there on the last day of our stay. We were happy with the food there during these times. We had dinner there once on our arrival day and we were not too happy with the buffet items. So I would suggest you make reservations before you arrive at the other restaurants. Also, bring some long pants, closed toe shoes, collared shirts for men. Little boys can wear shorts, closed toe shoes (ours wore their Crocs), and collared shirts. Men and boys have to wear these at all restaurants except Azul. On the next night, a Sunday, our entire group made reservations and ate at Frida, the Mexican restaurant. I don't know if the chef was off that day, but many of us did not like our entrees. The duck looked like prison food, or bad hospital food. The man with the guitar who entertained us sang some Spanish songs beautifully. Monday, we ate at Lucca, the Italian restaurant. This place, we all loved. It had a great piano man that night. Tuesday, we got 2 babysitters to watch all the kids. We fed the big kids at Lucca, ordered room service for the little ones and left them all in the room to watch a movie. The kids liked the babysitters. At Piaf (adults only), the French restaurant, we all loved the the food. They had amazing wine and a spicy martini that everyone loved. They had a trombone player. I don't know about that one. But he seemed very nice. We loved our main waiter, senior Sergio.
The Grounds: The landscaping around the hotel property was very lush and green. It rained most everyday so maybe that's why all the plants looked happy. The white walkways around the pool looked dirtier that I remember it last time (Last time I was in awe about how white everything was). I think the tile under the swim up bar and around the steps around the pool need a power wash.
The Beach/Pool: Most of the time we stayed by the middle pool under a coconut tree. We pretty much can get a tan in the shade :)) The 3 infinity pools are just so beautiful. The little kids loved the baby pool too. There were lots of kids during this stay compared to 3 years ago but it was not crazy crowded. Everyone can find a lounge chair any time. It's fairly quiet. There is some music but its not too loud. Sometimes they play Spanish music, Madonna, or some Armenian music (there was a large group when we were there). They try to please everybody. The beach is not the Caribbean so you can't see your toes. You just have to pray you don't step on anything weird. We saw some baby sting rays in the shallows many times. One of the boys in our group and I felt a stinging sensation around our ankles at separate times. Maybe a jelly or a ray.... The sand on the beach and in the water was pretty smooth. There were hardly any rocks. The water was super warm. We rented Yamaha wave runners from vendors on the beach. We also jumped on a banana boat and got towed around a couple of times. There is a vendor who does parasailing also. My husband found a couple of ladies giving massages right on the beach for $70 a couple. They were pretty good. All the adults in our group took advantage of this and all of us were very happy with our experience. My husband and I got massages twice. The hotel has boggy boards to lend and can be found near the towel hut near the restaurant bar area. There also had kayaks. None of us used those. There are vendors walking along the beach selling the usual jewelry found in most Mexican resorts.
One Gripe: Why is WiFi not free? It's 2012 people. You have to buy a card from a vending machine. A couple of our friends needed to attend to their businesses and needed to buy WiFi. It costs $18 a day and the quality is not very good. I wanted to download a book on my Kindle and it would have cost $18.00. Yikes! That's something to work on.
Overall: Still a very good hotel and would bring Grandma and Grandpa here any day.

2 Thank SBATustin
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We are a well traveled family of seven with two teenagers,, this place is immaculate, the staff cannot do enough for you.. Checkin you sit and get a neck massage while the staff checks you in. The suites are gorgeous. The pool was clean and our server Angel was by far the best we have ever had he called us by name and tended to all our needs daily, at Azul resturant Israel was the man he carried our plates if needed to our table, I mean a scented wet cloth came around, sunglasses cleaned,, the Spa clean and beautiful. At night the Lobby Bar we had two amazing servers Oscar and Daniel. These are the few of many people that made our stay perfect, The restaurant Azul was great for breakfast, I enjoyed all of them my favorite was the Mexican, but the french and Italian were also good. Please venture to the town and if you can make a reservation to one of the best restaurant's i have ever been to called " El Palomar de los Gonzalez this is a family owned home converted to a restaurant on a hill lookinng over the city, the food was just delicious and the sunset was beautiful. The only down side no night life at the resort, on the last night we asked the Lobby Bar staff to pump up the Music and we danced the night away, to bad we didnt know that sooner in the week. But please understand this is just one beautiful resort

Room Tip: Any Suite is good
4 Thank froggie_8
Ixchel M, Public Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind compliments about your recent visit to our resort. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed along with your family your stay with us since your check in. It is very pleasant to know that we did a good job and that we as a team accomplished our main goal.

Reviews like yours, gives us the certainty that we are heading on the right direction. Please rest assures that I will personally congratulate Angel, Oscar, Daniel and Israel.

It was our pleasure to host your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Once again thank you for your preference.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
#5 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
#6 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!