“Beautiful resort, great service, fun for all”

Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We spent five nights in June (Thurs arrival and Tues check out). Everything was fantastic - I'll talk about the rooms, food, kids stuff, our special event and fabulous photographer, the spa and our dolphin adventure.

POOL AND BEACH. Loved the pools - three side by side. Water was perfect temp. Pool was clean. Hot tubs by the beach - adult only, three whirlpools set at three temps. Plenty of lounge chairs around the pool as well as covered lounges on the beach. If there is not an umbrella near you, just ask and the attendants will bring to you. Poolside service is great. They regularly check on you.

ROOM. We were in two suites - 534 an 535. Just a couple rooms off center and facing the ocean (gorgeous!). Property is eight floors but we were somewhat limited because we had two young kids (4 and 7). There's an adult-only section and I think it's higher up. Two bathrooms is standard - loved it! Plenty of space for my family (2 adults and 2 kids in one room, 3 adults in the other room). Loved the daily replenishment of snacks. Drinks (coffee, tea, water, soda, canned juice, beer) replenished daily too. Very clean rooms. Turndown tended to be early (sometime between 5-6pm). Bedroom can go completely dark - just close your door and the "picture window" wood shutters that separates the bedroom from the living room. Balcony is very comfy too - built-in cushioned benches on each side along with two chairs and small table.

SPECIAL EVENT and PHOTOG. We celebrated my in-law's 50th wedding anniversary with a vow renewal. The hotel's event coordinator was organized and handled all the details. Our hotel photographer was truly amazing - ask for Gabriel, you won't regret it! We had beautiful photos both more formal and posed, and casual. He spent 2 hours with us taking photos - around the hotel, during the vow renewal, during cake cutting, and afterwards on the beach. My favorites were the more casual ones that really captured the moment. You purchase the digitals. No book is made for you as Gabriel explained that photo processing in Mexico is not as good as in the States. I would hire Gabriel again just to take family photos - why wait for a special occasion!

KIDS - Kids enjoyed the Kids Club - great place when they wanted to break from swimming. It was never too busy - never saw more than 8 or so kids at a time. Just know that when you complete the paperwork for the first sign-in, you can check a box that allows your child to check themself out - read carefully. My kids made kites, bracelets, colored and did drawings, watched a movie after dinner, played water balloons in the kid pool (about 12-18 inches deep) - nice variety of activities. My 7 y.o. also took a scuba lesson - while there is a complimentary class for kids 10+, she took a class geared for younger kids and there was an additional cost (USD$35 - there was no one else that day so she ended up with a one-hour private lesson).

FOOD. Ate at all the restaurants (Frida, Lucca, and Piaf) plus the more casual Azul for dinner. Azul is where you eat breakfast and lunch. Note that one restaurant is closed per night so check the schedule (you get one the night before for the next day). No young kids allowed in Piaf but you can send them to the Kids Club. Room service was good too (we ordered breakfast - came exactly when we wanted it to (15 min window) and the order was perfect). Frida and Piaf were my favorites - delicious food plated beautifully. Lucca was tasty but, for me, more your typical Italian fare. As for the wine, we were told each time that the first three pages were wines with additional charges and the wines on the last two pages were included. Some other reviewers said they were not told.

SPA. Amazing. You have to visit. The water therapy before your treatment is a must! You do so many different stations (sauna, steam room, rain shower, jets for your legs, another more traditional jacuzzi, no-jet hot tub, cool plunge), then shower before resting on your lounge waiting for your treatment therapist. You will be so spoiled! Our package included a USD$50 per day per adult spa credit (but you can only use on treatments 50 min or longer). For extra savings, check out each day's spa special (you will find it on your daily schedule). The service is outstanding. The spa is very clean.

DOLPHIN ADVENTURE. Took the kids for a dolphin adventure - just a 5-min cab ride away. We swam and played with the dolphins. The experience lasted about 45 min. We were in a group of 8 people. There are three different adventures to choose from. Ours was USD$99 per adult booked through the hotel. The special at the time was pay for two adults, then two kids go for free - which is what we did. They sell you photos afterwards (not surprising), but we bought because there was no way to get good photos - you will understand if you go. I think the place was intentionally set-up making it nearly impossible for your family and friends to take photos/video, even with a zoom lens. Definitely worth it! You will have amazing memories.

WEATHER. The weather in June was not a big deal. It was around 90 each day and humid, but you get some ocean breeze to take the edge off. Yes, it rained, but only in the evening so you got to play all day.

Loved the resort. Would definitely come back. Service was friendly and efficient. The resort is clean and beautiful. The spa is amazing. Food is great. Location by the ocean is perfect.

Room Tip: We were in room 534 - more traditional decor, nearly center facing to the ocean - great view straigh...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank kht2006
There are newer reviews for Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit

Reviewed June 24, 2012

I've just returned from my 4th visit to this Grand Velas, 3rd time traveling alone. This place is simply paradise for me, and I cannot wait to go again! Everything just clicks -- all the staff are wonderful, they call you by your name as soon as they learn it. The pool is heaven, the food is great, the service is spectacular! Everything is clean and kept up well.

I wanted to mention a couple things that - for me - mean that this place is everything everyone says it is. First, most people I spoke with were not on their first trip to Grand Velas. That says a lot, several repeat visitors. Second, I see staff that have been there for years. I remember a waiter in the breakfast buffet that I've seen over the years rise to higher positions, he's captain now and does a great job of keeping the buffet running like a well oiled machine. His name is Fidel, not sure why I remember him but each visit I would recognize him. So, it must be a good place to work, they reward hard work and people stay. That says a lot to me.

I had an 80 minute massage, wonderul! I didn't get her name though, I know you can't go wrong in the spa regardless. Around the pool my fav David was attentive and seemed to read minds! Carlos cracked me up and Miguel was friendly and would get you anything you wanted. I'm also super-impressed with the pool/umbrella/towel staff. I always sat on the side facing the beach near the bar, so those guys in particular I saw working hard. They set up my umbrella, handed out wet/cool towels, sprayed us with Evian and ALWAYS with a smile on their face. The activities staff was also standout, they aren't in your face about it but they make sure that if you are looking for things to do they have them. I like that.

I should say, everyone really stands out. The maids, bellman, front desk/concierge staff, restaurant staffs, etc. I can't say enough except......WHY ARE YOU SPENDING TIME RESEARCHING when you could be there! (Just kidding, but seriously, you have to try it - you'll get hooked like I have.)

One note: I have visited in May the other trips, great weather. This time I went in mid-June. I got a great tan, sunny every day but it rained at night. I'm told I was right on the verge of rainy season. So keep that in mind when you schedule.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Anne2StLouis
Reviewed June 20, 2012

This is an amazing hotel! The service is great, food and drink are top notch and the rooms are nice and spacious.

We traveled with a group of our friends and we each had a 1 year old. It was very convenient for the kids as well. They made us whatever we wanted for them and they always provided high chairs whether it was by the pool or restaurant or even the room.I only wish the kids room would allow kids under 4 to play as well.

I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank shaboki
Ixchel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your preference and for sharing your experience at this forum. It is very pleasant to know that you enjoyed the facilities and the services at our beautiful hotel.

I really hope to have the honor to host you & family in the near future. Please if there is anything I could do on your next visit let me know it will be my pleasure to assist you.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

We spent a week on timeshare and was delighted at the service and quality of the entertainment and, especially, the food. This was by far our best all-inclusive stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dutchvb

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments. It is always good to know that we are on the right path. I will make sure to share your experience with all the grand Velas team.
Please if there is anything I could do for you on your next visit feel free to contact me.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed at the Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit from 5/19/12 through 5/26/12. It was one of the most exquisite and relaxing weeks that we’ve ever experienced. The service was excellent and timely. The resort was very serene and the grounds were beautifully manicured and extremely well maintained – there was no litter or signs of ill repair. Our suite was perfect – 2 full baths, full living room; spacious closets, 2 queen size beds and a balcony that was perfect for viewing the ocean, pools, sunrises and sunsets. The chamber service was superior.

Our greatest love was the 3 pools that were adjacent to each other – they were awesome! They fulfilled everyone's needs - you can just relax by the pool bar, or like us do some serious lap swimming. The pools were clean and well maintained and the water temperature was perfect. We did a total of 1 hour of laps practically every day. We just can't say enough about these pools. We would come back just to enjoy them! The lounge chairs and towels were plentiful. Service was readily available. And the beach was excellent for morning walks. We walked for 1 hour every day.

All of this activity worked up quite an appetite. It also made us feel less guilty when we indulged ourselves with the delicious dinners at the 3 fine restaurants (Piaf, Lucca, and Frida). Not only was the food scrumptious, the presentation was extraordinary and they photographed beautifully! The buffet breakfasts at Azul were plentiful and the food was also tasty and very fresh! Carlos, our waiter at Piaf and at Frida (he worked in both restaurants on different days) was very helpful and friendly; he really made us feel welcomed. Hector, the guitarist at Frida was an outstanding musician. He even accommodated my request for a country tune, by playing and singing one that was translated into Spanish. The song was beautiful and he performed it from memory. The last time he played it was over 20 years ago.

The spa was an exhilarating experience! The staff was very helpful and customer service oriented. Our holistic massages left us wanting more. The atmosphere was very conducive to de-stressing.

Would we recommend staying at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? YES, especially, for its friendly staff, delectable food, and outstanding ambience!!! We would gladly return!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LapSwimmer2
Reviewed June 3, 2012

The resort could not have been better in any way! The pool was amazing, food was phenomenal, and service was outstanding!!!! When at the pool request Alfredo as your server. He is top notch, first class. I cannot get over how over the top this place was. They definitely want your stay to be ideal.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank LoriBowen
Ixchel M, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

I really want to thank you for taking the time of sharing your comments at Trip Advisor and for giving us the opportunity of being your host in your holidays.

Please rest assure that I will let Karina & Rafael know of your recognition.

Sincerely!

Reviewed June 2, 2012

My wife and I visited the Grand Velas for our honeymoon 5 years ago and could not wait to get back. Our expectations were high and they were met. We had a great experience before we even arrived. Karina the concierge was awesome, got back to us right away with answers to our questions and made sure everything was just as we wished. Service was wonderful all around. Rafeal and Rafeal at the pool were awesome, took care of us all week long. If there was anything that I felt was not as good this time as last it was probably the food, which don't get me wrong was still wonderful for an all inclusive. We can't wait to get back.

Room Tip: High floor on the south side of the resort.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank smplsfan

Dear Guest,

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to post your nice comments in this forum. We’re delighted to know that your experience was wonderful and that you made the right choice. We are glad that you enjoyed all of our entertainment activities, Spa services, pools and restaurants.

We are looking forward to have you back at Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit soon. Please keep in touch with our concierge Services by email or on Facebook, It will be a pleasure for us to assist you on your next visit.

The Management

#4 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
#6 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!