“Best Trip Ever!”

GreenLeadersGold level
new york
“Best Trip Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Vellas for 9 days!!! It was one of the best trips we have ever been on!!! At first we were planning to stay at a different hotel in PVR but when i searched it on trip advisor i did not read such great reviews. I found the Grand Vellas on Trip Advisor and I read the greatest reviews ever! We quickly changed our trip within one week!! The staff at the Grand Vellas is nothing less than PERFECTION!!! We got a gorgeous room with a breathtaking view!!! The food was amazing!!! From breakfast to lunch to dinner everything took our breath away!! The presentation is superb!!!! Jose, Juan, Miguel,and Marcos were our waiters by the pool and they were AMAZING!!!! My husband and I had the most amazing vacation and can not wait to go back!!!!!!!!! We love the Grand Vellas!!!

• Liked — service
4 Thank yeldaan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Korean first
Santa Fe, NM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2007

This hotel is worth everything you read about it. We booked an Ambassador suite, but when we arrived, we confirmed there is one flight of stairs to get to the room and another one to get to the rooftop jacuzzi, so we asked to see an oceanfront Master suite and it was incredible. A corner suite on the 2nd floor with a massive bath/jacuzzi inside and a veranda with chair, table and daybed. It overlooked the Ocean and Azul restaurant. There was no problem with noise. The bed was heavanly with 7 choices of pillows, a light duvee, and perfect AC.

Service: Unbelievable. Find Rafael at the pool. Tip $5 at the beginning of the day and a couple dollars throughout. Your drink will never be empty. Your shade will be adjusted all day, with cold towels, juice, food, popcicles, face spritzer and chairs to be found where you like them.

Azul's breakfast is fabulous. Look for Hugo and tip $5 for breakfast. All three gourmet restaurants were perfect. We loved the menu at the Mexican because you could still get fabulous gourmet food besides true Mexican.

I didn't go to the Spa, but I had an acrylic nail fixed and the cleanliness in the salon and availability of technical product was amazing.

We had booked transportation and were promptly picked up outside the airport and wisked away to GV in no time. Given a voucher to return at checkout with no problem. They even gave us a $130/day break on our price for downgrading to the Master suite. I just asked.

Wonderful wines. A bottle was delivered everyday to our room and if we drank it, we could order another one. Great snacks at your own snack bar. Coffee maker. I ordered a pitcher of cream for my coffee (evap. cream in Mexico) and kept it in the refrigerator. We tipped our housekeeper $2 everyday and $2 for the turn down service every night. Bring lots of ones and fives with cause if you exchange, you'll get pesos. They know your name, what you drink everyday. My husband and I loved the Habanero sauce (hotter than fire) and they had a selection at our table before we returned from the buffet. Omelets were fantastic.

The Fiesta on Wed. night was very entertaining and they serve you drinks there too.

There are 3 eternity pools, tiered down toward the ocean with beautiful views and each one has a different temp.

We only left the property once to go intyo PV. Got to see Elizabeth Taylors house even though it's no longer open.

This is going to be a return trip for us. I rate it even better than Las Ventanas in Cabo. Wow!!!! Have fun! 8 days aren't long enough. Next year it's ten for sure.

• Liked — Rooms, service, food, everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
11 Thank Druktenis
Sedona, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2007

We just returned from our second stay at Grand Velas. This time we visited for 12 days. We spent most of our time there with another couple that we met last year, who visited this year for 2 weeks, and two of their friends who were staying for 7 days.
We all agreed that the resort is still an excellent choice for an all inclusive vacation in Mexico. The quality of the service in the rooms, the restaurants and throughout the property was exemplary.
Our arrival was smooth and easy. The resort provided VIP transportation that allowed us to bypass the timeshare mayhem at the airport. We were given credentials and escorted to a private van and driven directly to Grand Velas. Checking in was equally smooth. I actually had 2 reservations, back to back, so I was concerned that they were properly combined and that we wouldn’t have to change rooms during our stay. They confirmed everything and processed my credit card while providing us with a welcome beverage and a cool wash cloth.
I had also been in contact with the hotel by email a week before our travel date to request a master suite in the south wing on the 5th floor or above, and to let them know about some of my dietary issues. We were indeed given a room that was consistent with my request. And within a half hour of our arrival, while we were unpacking and enjoying a welcome bottle of champagne, I received a phone call from the food and beverage manager. He wanted know exactly what foods I desired and assured me that everything I needed would be provided. Then he went a step further and offered to book dinner reservations for us for the first few nights, in the restaurants of our choice. He specifically recommended that we book ahead for that Thursday and Friday night, since the hotel would be fully booked with a special conference.
We ate dinner the first night at Azul, since we wanted to keep it casual and light. It worked out well because our friends arrived just as we were sitting down and so we got to eat together and get reacquainted. It was the Mexican fiesta night, so the buffet at Azul was not as diverse as it is on other nights, but we ordered from the menu and all enjoyed our meals. The Mariachi musicians performed tableside and it was a relaxing way to begin our vacation.
At breakfast the next morning our friend asked for some hash brown potatoes, since there weren’t any offered on the extensive breakfast buffet. They prepared some for her, and did so every day there after. In fact, by day 3, she didn’t even have to ask. We would sit down at a table, they would serve us coffee and rolls, we’d go to the buffet to get what we wanted, including my egg white omelets, and when we returned to the table, they would have her hash browns ready on a side plate. This is typical of the service that we received every day.
Poolside service for drinks and snacks was equally good. We were able to find chaises where we wanted to be every morning. The wait staff quickly learned not only our favorite drinks and foods, but also, when we wanted them. We’d start with water and then progress to more exotic choices, and they knew just when to bring drinks and refills.
We had no problems getting reservations for dinner each night in the specialty restaurants. On most nights we were dining as a party of 6 and the food and service was always outstanding. Last year we all agreed that Piaf (French) was our favorite, but this year, with the changes in the menus, we all liked Frida (Mexican) the best. Our new friends were pleasantly surprised to find that this is not a typical Mexican restaurant. They were thinking tacos and burritos, but instead they found rack of lamb and sea bass (and plenty more). Luca (Italian) was also as good as our best gourmet Italian restaurants at home in Sedona. Being all inclusive, we enjoyed tasty soups and appetizers, and delightful desserts with plenty of wine and beverage choices. The only down side to dinner was that it often lasted 3 hours or more. The result was that we made reservations for 6:30 instead of 7:30. And our concerns about crowds when the hotel was filled were unfounded. It turned out that these conventioneers were all eating at their own special events on the beach or in the tents set up away from the pool area.
The only service that suffered for us was that the maids were running late on some nights with the turn down service. But that only happened on 2 nights. And beyond that, our room was fabulous. We like the master suite because we don’t need the privacy of a separate bedroom, so we have more space. Also, the master suite gives us a Jacuzzi tub in the room, along with the huge shower that had plenty of hot water and excellent pressure. We like the south wing because the bathrooms are slightly larger and have a double vanity. However, we peeked into some of the older rooms that are being refurbished, and the bathroom improvements are part of the project, along with new furnishings (more drawer space) and large wall mounted TVs. No need to improve the bedding though. With complete change of linens every day and twice daily for towels, along with the well stocked mini bar, the maid deserved the tips that I left for her.
We took advantage of the 24 hour room service by ordering coffee and fruit and juice to be delivered each morning as we awakened. They would call each morning to let us know that the waiter was on his/her way. We also enjoyed a bottle of Baileys in the room each day and ordered dessert in the room on a couple of evenings.
My wife and I did not use the spa on this trip. Our friends did and they all had positive comments and enjoyed their massages. I’m a certified massage therapist, and I just didn’t want to pay the full prices at the spa. I did use the services of one of the private practitioners down the beach from the resort, and got a much better value for my money in terms of the massage. I was willing to forego the whole spa environment to save almost $100.
All in all, it was a memorable and relaxing vacation. We are foodies. We enjoy fine dining and we enjoy personalized service. We found it all at Grand Velas. We met nice people and had a good time. We will surely return again. And we will continue to recommend Grand Velas to our friends and other travelers.

• Liked — Quakity and Service
13 Thank RedRox
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2007

We stayed at the Grand Velas to celebrate my dad's 75th birthday. Our travelers included my wife, our two daughters (6 and 8), my sister, and my dad and his wife. My wife and I are experienced vacationers and have stayed in some nice places (Grand Wailea, Kealani, Beaches Negril, various Four Seasons). The Grand Velas, hands down, had the best and most comprehensive service anywhere. Every need was met instantly and with a smile. The included room service was prompt, well prepared, and served with a flourish. The poolside (and beach) service was outstanding. The concerieges were extremely helpful.

Our parlor suite was quite large and clean. We had a mildew odor in our room but the other rooms for our group did not. The beds in the bedroom were very comfortable and equiped with nice sheets, comforters, and pillows. The "sleeper sofa" was not up to snuff, however. It consists of a thin mattressed single trundle that slides out from under the sofa. We ended up getting a rollaway in addition. My daughters were so exhausted, we didn't hear any complaints about their sleeping arrangements! The bathroom had decent products and was well cleaned daily. A good supply of high quality towels was available.

The food at the Azul buffet, as is usually the case in the these all-inclusives, was very good to excellent for breakfast and lunch. It was only adequate at dinner. However, if you've got little kids, it is a very easy place to go with a "something for everyone" type of menu. We ate at Frida one night and found the service good but the kitchen very slow. The food there was hit-or-miss. An aside: don't miss Cafe des Artistes in town!

Our kids enjoyed the kid's club for a couple of hours each day. There were fun, well supervised activities for them. I think kids older than ours would be bored, however.

My only complaint about the resort is the lack of a true kid's pool with waterslides. There is a toddler pool for the younger set, however. The usual shenanigans of early morning poolside chaise grabbing occurs but we never had a problem getting shaded seating slightly away from the pool. The grounds are gorgeous. The landscaping and outdoor facilities are very well maintained. In fact, the poolside bathrooms were startlingly clean and had fresh flowers.

We used the spa several times and found the facilities way above average. However, you will pay US prices.

Overall, if you are looking for an all-inclusive with top service, I would recommend Grand Velas without hesitation.

• Liked — service, spa, condition of facilities
  • Disliked — no
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank SoCalBear
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2007

We stayed at Grand Velas during the first week of December for 6 days. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and achieved our goals of sun and relaxation, but probably we will not return. It’s not a bad resort at all, but just wasn’t a match for us. The only other AI we’ve been to is Royal Hideaway, so that is our point of comparison. We are picky about food, décor, and service.

Location: About a 20 minute drive north of the airport, located directly on the beach, in a residential area of other hotels and condominiums. Not walkable to shops or restaurants other than those on the property.

Hotel: The hotel is an asymmetrical C-shape. The main part of the hotel is five years old. There was an addition to the southern end of the C about 2 years ago and these rooms are the closest to the ocean. We noticed that they were renovating several of the rooms on our floor and the new décor is much more sophisticated. We suggest asking for a newly renovated room (ours was not) and/or one in the newer wing. Avoid a first floor suite—the patios have no privacy at all. The main restaurants, spa, bar, and entertainment are located in the central part of the C, so most everything is an elevator ride from your room. This means that the band that plays from 9pm to midnight is very close to your room, too. Not good for those who like to sleep prior to midnight.

Room: We booked a Master Suite, but were upgraded to an Ambassador suite. This was a nice perk, but we would have been sorely disappointed had we actually paid for this room. The rack rate is $1275 a night and it’s billed as 1750 square feet. Really, it is basically a master suite with an open stairway off the public hall leading up to a half bath and patio. The patio has a large spa that is jetted but unheated. It was too cold to use. There is a locking door into the master suite area, but the rest is completely unsecured. They do put a “private suite” sign on the stairs, but the lack of security and connection to the main room make the space far less usable. We’re not sure how it equals 1750 sq ft—maybe if you count the outdoor space plus all the public hallway and stairway space.
We noticed that the Ambassador suites are being changed—when you go up the stairs, the landing has two doors, labeled A and B, with no visible stairs leading up to the patio level. We couldn’t see behind the doors, so I hope that the patio level is now within the secure perimeter.
The room décor is nothing to speak of—a tired tapestry hung haphazardly on off white walls. The doors are this strange wood grained plastic. Closet space is good, and the regular size tub is set in a marble tiled surround that gives plenty of space for toiletries. The vanity is single basin, not much space for two to get ready. The toilet and tub are in a separate room from the vanity. The ventilation in the tub/toilet room is really poor. I think the fan is there for psychological comfort only, as it doesn’t seem to do anything. The shower had a rain shower type head, so the pressure was poor. We never got more than barely lukewarm water in the shower, even after turning it all the way to hot and waiting a while. The AC is powerful, so no worries if you like to be cold while in the tropics! We preferred to keep it off and leave the balcony door open, but this caused condensation on the tables and tile floor, so we ended up keeping it on at a higher temperature for the dehumidifying function. The bed was very firm.

Pool: There are three interconnecting pools, one small children’s pool, and one small pool billed as a hot tub. The three larger pools are infinity style and very pretty. The most inland pool is heated and during our visit was dominated by children. The ocean-front pool was cooler and less occupied. The hot tub is actually the same temperature as the heated pool. There were plenty of pool chairs, and while we didn’t always get our favorite location, we didn’t have to engage in the reservation game.

Food: There are 5 restaurants—Frida (fancy Mexican), Piaf (French), Lucca (Italian), Azul (casual beachfront with buffet and menu), and a pool side fast food place. The food was very disappointing, ranging from inedible to pretty good. We had the most success with the tacos, fajitas, sopes, etc from Azul. Generally, the fancier and more foreign dishes were the worst. We ended up canceling our dinner reservations towards the end of the trip after realizing that we dreaded going to dinner in the “specialty” restaurants. Our first dinner at Frida was OK; the second was horrible. Lucca was passable on the first and only visit, Piaf was awful. The restaurants seem to share kitchens—the overly fishy shrimp broth I had at Piaf on Wednesday was absolutely fetid by the time it showed up in a different dish at Frida on Thursday. Seafood ingredients were of iffy quality in general. All the main restaurants were stylish and attractive with conceits you typically see in high end restaurants in the States, like little footstools for handbags, etc. The quality of the food was no match for the pomp, however. Maybe if there wasn’t such a discrepancy between the style and substance, the food would have seemed better.
Bear in mind that we are choosy and spoiled eaters. I suspect for people that are accustomed to chain restaurants, the food here is pretty good, and they would assume they just don’t like fancy food when really the problem is freshness and preparation. To give some perspective, we felt the food at Hideaway was OK to pretty good, not five star like some rave.
Drinks: Pretty good, provided you stick with the basics. They do tropical drinks like pina coladas well, and with all drinks readily offer up double and triple alcohol, at least poolside. A plain martini was poorly done and a request for a gin gimlet yielded a blank stare and “we don’t have that”. The house wines are not very good but are drinkable. The drink recipes seem to vary from place to place within the resort, or perhaps from bartender to bartender. You can order one bottle of liquor to your room each day, but the options are limited to tequila, rum, vodka, etc. Triple sec and other mixers are not available, so no bartending in your suite.

Service: We felt that the service all-around was available and attentive but not polished. The wait staff at the pool were fast, friendly, prompt, and spoke English well. In the restaurants, the lack of polish was noticeable, for instance, making a big show of refolding someone’s napkin after she arose, but then just flinging it at the arm of the dining chair, rather than laying it down. My favorite: I paused between bites only to have someone snatch my plate away, stating “No mas comida”. I think they meant it as a question, as in “Madame, have you finished? May I take your plate?” but that’s not how it came across. The maid service was equally unpolished. There were generally three visits to the room, one for cleaning, one to restock the minibar, and turn down service. At Hideaway, they keep track of your restaurant reservation time and arrange for turn down while you’re at dinner. Here even though we had reservations most nights, evening service came while we were dressing for dinner or after we had gone to bed. Language was a barrier in most of our interactions. Most people seem to tip though tipping is technically included.

We think everyone at Grand Velas wants to provide good service and tries to do so, but the thoughtful details are missing, and it really detracts from the service that is provided. I never realized how subtle really good service is until now.

Gym: The fitness center is off the main lobby. It’s small but nicely equipped and has a separate room for the yoga, pilates, etc classes that are offered. There is a staff member that will help you learn about the machines. He will also throw you out of the fitness center if he doesn’t like your shoes. The rules require tennis shoes and the water shoes I brought to do double duty were deemed inadequate. Our workouts thus consisted of walks on the beach. It would be helpful if this was posted on their website to aid packing.

Spa: We did not go to the spa even though our package included a $50 per person per day spa credit. This was for several reasons. Firstly, the treatments are really expensive. I found only a handful of options for $38 and $56 (after reading the menu a second time), everything else started at $75 and escalated quickly. We also learned that we had to use each spa credit each day, no adding them together or sharing. Secondly, I was turned off by the spa catalog, which was poorly translated and featured much pseudo-medical nonsense, and the short treatment times. They note that the service, “protocols”, and “tea service” are all completed within the 80 minute or 25 minute time allotted, so it’s hard to say how long the actual treatment time is. The spa area looked really nice, but we just suspected that it would be all style and no substance like the restaurants and elected to save our dollars. The menu also encourages providing a 12% tip for your service and also at the end notes that a 12% service charge is automatically added “for your comfort”.

Kids: The kids’ club is for those 4-12, located in a designated room off the lobby. We also saw attendants taking kids on outings within the resort. The staff seemed to really enjoy children and worked to accommodate them. I think a child older than 10 would be bored silly as the kids in the kids’ club tended to be 5 or so and lying by the pool is the main activity elsewhere. We were there for romance, and even in off-season, the boisterous presence of children detracted from our experience. I suspect it would be far worse in high season.

We think Grand Velas could be a great place for un-picky couples or families with small children, provided you avoid the Ambassador suites as currently arranged and stick to simple food and drink.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Refer to review
8 Thank RainySeason
Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2007

After reading many tripadvisor reviews of this property, our family of four spent 8 nights there commencing November 17, 2007.
It was a trip of highs and lows.
As has been previously reported, the check in process is a disaster. The room we requested had not been blocked. Nor was the room we had assigned to us ready when we arrived at 2pm. Since we had to get up at 5am to get our flight, we had emailed the hotel in advance (an email that they never responded to) that we really wanted the room available upon arrival (we informed them of our flight number and arrival time). When we arrived, they more or less forced us to sit at a couch and chairs in a stunningly beautiful reception area and gave us some fruit punch and cool wash clothes. OK. OK for about 10 minutes. Then I went to the front desk and asked about our status. We had been booked in the wrong room type and told that what they had would be available in about an hour and sent us off to lunch. 70 minutes later they told us to come back in 30 minutes. 30 minutes later they told us to come back in 45 minutes. By which point, I was more than unhappy. We finally got into the room-a master suite-wch is inadequate for a family of four w/kids aged 12 and 16. I therefore returned to the front desk and spoke to a manager who promised to block a parlor suite for the remainder of our stay and they would assist in the move.
Once moved the next day, things got better. We were in parlour suite 635 wch had two bathrooms and was pretty centrally located in the middle of the hotel so that one could have an ocean view STANDING on the deck-seated meant you looked directly into a thick wood railing which is truly stupid, either get rid of the railing or buy way higher seats to see over it. The parlour suites with two bathrooms have two queen beds, a ridiculous sofa bed, and we added a rollaway. Plenty of room and very nicely appointed. My wife and I took one bed. Our son the other and our daughter the rollaway. The sofabed sucks. We told them not to bother to set it up after we saw what it looked like the first night.
The resort is absolutely gorgeous. The service is exemplary. The food is uniformly mediocre. We had 6 rotating dinners, Fridas, Luccas , Piafs, and then the same circuit. All of the restaurants are stunning and have great service. All of the food is just not good. For example, at Piafs I had the foie gras, a salad, french onion soup, chauteaubriand and a chocolote souffle. Sounds awesome. It wasn't. It was ok, but it was not five star or even memorable.
The pools were lovely. They also were not adequately heated. In theory, the pool closest to the ocean is cool, the middle pool tepid, and the furthest pool is warm/hot. Well, they aren't. They are all the same temperature and it's too cold. Even the hot tub wasn't hot. Also, getting a decent seat around the pools was more difficult than it should have been. People would get up at 6:30 in the morning and "claim" 8-10 chaises by piling books/mags on them to reserve them. If you didn't claim seats by 8ish, you were not where you wanted to be.
On an upnote, the people couldn't have been kinder or more willing to please.
All in all, this is no 4 Seasons nor Ritz. It's extremely good, but I'd have real reservations about ever going back again. 8 days of this kind of food was simply too much. It turns the old joke of two old ladies saying to one another "the food her is horrible" and the other says "and such small portions". Here, the food is mediocre and you can eat it til the cow jumps over the moon.
They have the physical plant to run an over the top fantastic resort. To do it, they need to markedly upgrade the food, heat the pools, and make the check in process better. Until all of that happens, I'll look elsewhere for my next trip.

• Liked — the location and the service and the physical condition of the hotel and its facilities
  • Disliked — the food
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank hotelfan
dfw
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2007

Went here for 4 days to work, but loved the hotel. The rooms were great and the hotel looked awesome. Number one--use the spa. You have to get a massage because they do it absolutely right. Food was ok at the buffet, but the restaurants were great. Pool was awesome and great relaxing atmosphere. Beach itself is public so there are a lot of people selling things so great for souvenirs. But seriously....use the spa.

• Stayed October 2006
Hard Rock Hotel Vallarta
#6 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,027 reviews
Paradise Village Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Nayarit? Share your experiences!