“What A Refreshing Change To Typical Nuevo Vallarta Restaurants!”
Review of Por Que No? - CLOSED

Por Que No?
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: CERRADO
Reviewed April 17, 2012

This restaurant is a definite upgrade over the typical restaurants in Nuevo Vallarta. Por Que No opened a few weeks ago and it is just a matter of time before it is discovered by all. It used to be Don Quixote's. We ate at Por Que No on April 14. Location is overlooking a marina and you can see Paradise Village on the other side of the lagoon. See photos of sunset from our table and some of the marina.

The restaurant is owed by Eddie, who also owns Eddie's Place Nopal Beach in Nuevo Vallarta. We had dinner the night before at Eddie's Place and Eddie told us about his new restaurant. We didn't have a place to eat on our last night so we decided to give it a try. Thank goodness we did. It was such a pleasant experience we wish we had known about Por Que No sooner so we could eat there again.

Eddie came by the restaurant while we were eating and he stopped and talked with us. He told us that the chef (yes a real chef not a cook) changes the menu each week depending on what food is available. I believe Eddie said the Chef is from Southern California (Newport Beach?).

The food was delicious and was presented very well. See pictures. A welcome change over the usual food presentations you see in the tourist restaurants.

Our meal started with chips/salsa with fried slices of plaintains. Very good. See photo.

I started with the clam chowder that was creamy and full of clams. Texture was perfect, not too watery and not to thick. My main dish was assorted seafood (jumbo shrimp, calamari, clams and green lipped mussles) over spanish rice and fresh vegetables. Very good and I would order again. See photo.

My wife had a wedge salad to start that she said was excellent. For her main dish she had stuffed zucchini and she said it was delicious. See photo. The dish comes topped with baked pankow crumbs but she asked to have them left off due to gluten concerns.

My mother in law had the fish of the day (Grouper that night. A delicate fish.) that was prepared just right. See photo.

My daughter had plain spaghetti with the sauce on the side. The touch of freshly ground parmesan cheese was the finishing touch and she gave a thumbs up for her dinner. See photo.

We all shared a chocolate mousse dessert that was perfect.

My wife and mother in law had Margaritas and they said that they were the best they had during our stay. They were the best because they tasted great and actually had just the right amount of alcohol in them. They were not watered down! One was blended and one was on the rocks.

Table settings were a nice change. See photo of a table for two.

Service was impeccable. We felt like special guests the minute we walked into the restaurant. Timing of taking orders, meals, etc were all excellent. Water glasses were filled several times, we were checked on several times during the meal and plates/glasses were cleared in a timely manner. One of my pet peeves in restaurants is that some plates, bread plates or silverware is left on the table at the end of a meal. I am happy to say that our table was cleared of all plates and silverware when were done eating. Only items left on the table were the glasses water and drink glasses. The table crumbs were also cleaned off of our table. The servers we had were definitely professionals in the restaurant business.

There also a singer who had a beautiful voice and made the experience just that much better.

2  Thank harvaro

Reviewed April 13, 2012

Wow! I am so impressed by this place. Definitely a more upscale experience than Eddie’s and the location is directly overlooking the marina (behind the Oxxo when you're exiting the Sea Garden). We actually met our server Fernando (special shout out to Fernando – he’s a great guy!) when we were staying in Puerto Vallarta. He was telling us about Eddie’s new place and so since we were changing resorts and would be up in NV, we decided to give it a try. We love Eddie’s and were excited to try Porque No.

I was so stuffed full from drinking margaritas all day I kept it light and only ordered soup and salad. Thank God the portions were small. The clam chowder was rich, creamy and full of little clams and potatoes. My Caesar salad was full of robust flavor – you can tell this was homemade – you could taste the garlic, the anchovies, the parmesan…just delish!

In addition to traditional chips and salsa that are placed on your table, fried slices of plantains were included. Warning: these are highly addictive! They are long slices and kind of reminded me of thick potato chips. They were crispy, sweet and salty goodness.

The shining star of the night was our dessert. Yes, I know I was full but how in the world could I turn down a brownie with ice cream????? I’m sure my thighs weren’t too thrilled but my tummy was.

Great wine list and a lounge singer who was pretty good. Prices and portions were fair and service was impeccable. Will definitely be back!

1  Thank Anejo-y-Coca
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Stayed down the street at the grand mayan with my wife. The restaurants inside the resort are far too overpriced for us, so we took a small stroll along the beach to nuevo vallarta marina and found this amazing restaurant right on the water with a beautiful woman singing. The atmosphere was very inviting and the waiter was top notch. Menu was excellent, i read that it changes weekly, which is exciting to see restaurants using fresh local ingredients. We ordered a wonderful bottle of Cabernet that the waiter suggested, it was so good we ordered a 2nd...I had the catch of the day that was cooked perfectly and also a soup of the day, a delicious asparagus cream soup. My wife had the Shrimp scampi over saffron rice, absolutely delicious with huge shrimps and wonderful presentation. Everything was excellent, restaurant was a absolute gem to find. We definetly will be returning soon!

1  Thank Scott W
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Wonderful restaurant! We are staying at the Grand Luxxe on the Mayan Resorts property and were looking to go off property for dinner. Our concierge suggested "Por Que No" (why not in Spanish). Turns out this place is owned by a guy named Eddie who has a restaurant in Nuevo Vallarta named "Eddies". We met Eddie and he and his staff were so gracious. Eddie moved here a number of years ago from Huntington Beach, California and opened Eddie's. About 21 days ago apparently Por Que No opened. Fantastic fishes and beef as well as shrimp. Our caesar salads were also delicious. Probably will go back during this week and certainly will go back on future trips. A big yes!

3  Thank luxuryhotelcritic
Reviewed March 31, 2012

When someone asked Eddie (of the famous Eddie's Place Nopal Beach, NV) why he didn't open another restaurant he finally answered, "Porque no!" and a new restaurant was born. My friends and I heard about the "soft opening" on a Thursday we were in Nuevo. Since it was also my birthday we decided to be a part of restaurant history in Nuevo and we were not disappointed.

Easy walking distance from the Grand Mayan, the restaurant is located at the address listed but that may be a bit confusing. It is around the corner from Eddie's Place and further down the marina. It is also a world away from Eddie's Nopal. The menu is eclectic with plans to take advantage of whatever is fresh and seasonal and that means an ever changing menu. Our selections on March 22 were: duck, cornish hen, fish and beef entrees.

We started with a Caesar's salad that was the best I have had anywhere in a very long time. I won't ruin the surprise presentation but I could have had a second as my main course. The dressing...just as Caesar intended, no doubt. My girlfriend had a spinach salad with balsamic vinegar and neither salad was gritty...an unfortunate possibility when the greens don't come from a plastic bag--and these did not. Fresh bread and butter were served before the salads.

I ordered the cornish hen and it came with a delicious tangerine sauce, a wonderful sweet
potato swirl and with a wild rice stuffing while the duck was served with an excellent pipian sauce. I took notes so that I could describe the delicious food but my review was delayed so trip advisor could check and make sure Porque No is indeed on the restaurant map and I have since misplaced the notes so you are spared a lengthy discussion of the food. It was excellent so go!

The wait staff was attentive and eager to please. And the ambiance convivial and romantic. Entertainment was provided by a gifted singer who sang a mix of tunes from torch songs to popular.

No doubt some of the kinks will be worked out (timing, for example) but this isn't an experience to have if you are in a hurry anyway. Time spent looking at the marina, listening to music and drinking wine (we chose two bottles of Chilean wine and they were a perfect complement to all our entrees!) is well spent The wait staff sang happy birthday and even
had someone create a faux fireworks display complete with whistle and loud bang. Porque No is a welcome addition to the Nuevo Vallarta restaurant scene with a menu that provides a refreshing change from the usual fine dining fare.

Bueno suerte, Eddie. See you next year and thanks for the very memorable 65th birthday celebration!

4  Thank Dianclair