“beautiful gardens”

Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Portland, Oregon
“beautiful gardens”
Reviewed January 23, 2011

The rooms: At first we were placed in a room on the fifth floor that faced construction. When we asked for a change ( we are owners) we were told that the ocean views are saved for "promotion," but if we went for a time share update they would give us an ocean view. I told them in my sweetest voice that the policy was not fair, and we were changed to a second floor ocean view. We were able to see the lake and a tiny bit of the ocean. It was nicer than what we had at first. Every morning we saw lots of folks with time share sales folks. If you don't want the pressure, just say no and when you are continually called, continue to say no. The one bedroom suites are large, clean and have a small terrace.We took our bedroom chairs out on the terrace that was fine for morning coffee and wine in the afternoon.If you like a large terrace, you will be disappointed in those at the Palace.

The grounds and pool: Mayan Palace is a beautiful resort. The grounds are gorgeous. You couldn't ask for more beautiful gardens. The pool is very large and about 4 feet deep all around,It is great for swimming! There is a great place for lunch at the pool. The food is good and the prices are fair. Ernesto is a very friendly waiter.

The beach: The beach is outstanding! It is wide, long and clean. There are plenty of places for shade and sun. There is lunch and drink service on the beach. We drank wine at sunset and it was very romantic.

Restaurants: Okay, nothing special. Save your money on the big fiestas. The beach is cold at night in December and so is the food. We loved Estudio Cafe and found decent food and fun at Eddie's---both of these are not on the hotel grounds. The Havana Moon on the property is right on the beach. Wear a sweater and order a hamburger or pizza. You get the romance but not the high prices.

There is definitely a hierarchy at the Mayan properties. People talk about how the Mayan Palace does not even begin to compare to the Bliss, but many Bliss and Grand Mayan guests and owners are at the beach at the Mayan Palace because it is situated in the best location. We love the Mayan Palace!!

So, that;s the story. Have fun!

3 Thank bronx2800

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Lafayette, California
Reviewed January 23, 2011

The resort is gorgeous, it has a beautiful big pool right on the beach........but.........if you have swimming in mind, take a wet suit. The pool is not heated and is freezing, too cold to swim in comfortably. It's good for a quick cool off or dangle your feet in. I was very very disappointed as I had planned on swimming every day

Littleton
Reviewed January 13, 2011

We felt fortunate to have been able to trade and get a 2-bedroom (booked via RCI.com in early Aug). Rooms are large but beds are very hard. The kitchenette was usable but not ideal. Our burner didn't work well so took 45 minutes to boil water. But we did save lots of $ by doing some of our own cooking (did not do all-inclusive). Our check-in was smooth and, like we had read in many other TripAdvisor reviews, we were directed from the front desk to another desk to get our wristbands for resort access. They did offer us 10% off our room bill if we would do a free breakfast & presentation. We respectfully declined and didn't hear another thing about that all week (VERY surprised at that!). We did hear another couple complain about doing it & that it went long, etc, but it sounded like they were pretty naive about knowing that it was a timeshare presentation. Oh, they also offered to let us stay next door at the Grand Mayan if we would do a presentation at that resort. One thing that we had read on other reviews was not to expect an ocean view room. We did get a room facing inland, but with all of the palm trees and everything around, it was just fine. There was some construction going on nearby but we never were distracted or annoyed by it.
All in all, the accommodations were very good & they were very accommodating to our requests.
The beach was FANTASTIC! There's a huge pool but we spent all of our time on the beach. One thing that we found odd was that not only was the building several hundred yards away from the beach, but they had all these windy trails/sidewalks that you use to get from the building to the beach - there's no direct line to the beach. We were guessing that maybe some of the property in between was marshland or something. So you kind of wander "thru the jungle" a bit to get to the beach. That was just odd.
All food at the resort restaurants & the boutique/store at the resort were VERY expensive. We had an opportunity to go to Walmart a few times during the week (my sister lives there & taxi'd us!) but if we had not had that then the all-inclusive would have been nearly the same price and less "sticker shock" at food stuff.
Oh, had to pay extra for a few things including the room safe and wireless Internet. A hassle more than anything... would have been nice to have that included with the room.
We did a few excursions during our stay off-resort. One of the main excursion companies there is Vallarta Adventures. We did their Outdoor Adventure (zip lines & rappelling in the jungle), went to Las Caletas (private beach), and also swam with the dolphins. We HIGHLY recommend any & all of their excursions. We did shell out some $ for them but they were very unique & memorable! Go to www.tourdealspuertovallarta.com for some great discounts there.
Overall, it was a great stay & great accommodations. We would definitely come back, although admittedly are also interested in trying other timeshares in PV/NV as well.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank jschalla
Farmington, New Mexico
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Do not under ANY circumstances attend the sales presentation offered during your stay. The internet is full of horror stories about the lies and bait and switch tactics employed by Grupo Mayan. We bought a timeshare there and then spent a large sum of money for an upgraded product that they decided not to build. Don`t take our word for it. Just Google Grupo Mayan ripoff or any combination of those words and read about the stories of other people who have fallen prey to their lies.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank jidoh123
Indianapolis
Reviewed January 9, 2011

IT WAS SOOO GOOD!! Ok I have to say that after seeing some of the videos on YouTube and photos online, I was worried this place my be stuck in the 80's. I was shocked at how modern and beautiful this place was. This was my first (but won't be my last) trip to Mexico. Let me say that I went with my inlaws on with their timeshare membership so maybe I would expect more (or be more disappointed) if I were paying the $508 USD per night that I saw listed at the front desk as the rack rate for a standard suite. But you shouldn't ever pay that. A quick search on trip advisor's vacation rentals found one at Mayan Palace for $1000/week.

First don't worry about the water issue. We sucked down lots of drinks with their ice, brushed our teeth and even drank a small amount from the tap and we had no problems. I'm pretty sure resort water must be filtered.

Second - right off the plane. Don't stop for any of the booths in the corridor at the airport. They act like they are agents of your resort but the are not and are timeshare people. These people are pretty pushy and get a little rude when you tell them you are not interested. Walk straight out then turn right just before you exit and find DC Services, I think it is called. They take you to the Mayan. There are several different Mayan's so make sure they know which one. They are all close together but it's kind of like Vegas everything looks close til you start walking there. Take lots of American 1's for tipping. Besides that exchange money so you can deal with their money. Estimating everything at 10-1 you lose a few cents every time and it makes a difference when it comes to higher amounts. I found the people at the Mayan to be very nice especially bar and wait staff. The front desk at check in will ask for a credit/debit card and will put $500 USD hold on that account. So if you give them a debit card be aware of that. The resort has a no cash policy. Everything on the resort gets charged to your room. I did not find any misbilling on my statement.

When we checked in we were taken to a desk (which I originally thought was the concierge desk) where they give you information and will try to get you to go on a timeshare presentation. My inlaws were traveling with us and they decided to go. They made $250 USD and we all were treated to a very nice breakfast and quick tour of the Grand Mayan (which is incredible). Then my wife and I and the kids were allowed to leave while they got down to business with the inlaws. They joined us at the pool by about 2p I think. They said they actually kind of enjoy going on those things. They went on two more. Only one of the presentations got really bad and they were treated very badly but they were not associated with the Mayan. They made a total of $750 USD while they were there just going on tours and got to see some neat places.

Our room was very nice size, the frig is a little small but that was ok. We over-bought at Walmart. Advise - only get things for breakfast and maybe late night snack. The room is too far to be spending all your time walking back and forth for drinks and sandwiches and such. Besides the staff is constantly doing rounds to make sure you never go thirtsy. It's too convenient to pass up. Oh and while I'm on the topic of walking. It is a beautiful walk to the pool and not the Bataan Death March that others have made it out to be. Unless you have serious health problems or problems walking you will be fine and enjoy the nature around you. The bed was a little hard but not unbearable. The pool was huge and there are nice pools towels available. There is ping-pong on the south end of the pool. I didn't have any problems with snakes or iguanas or even bugs for that matter. Weather was perfect not too hot but warm enough that that if you sat in the sunny you would get warm. Kids loved the beach which was sprinkled with pyrite (I guess) which made it look like gold flakes when the water rolled over it. Beach is not as pretty as Gulf Coast and more brown. I was told that there are several rivers that drain into the bay and the run off from the mountains makes the water less clear. But it feels clean (not like Miami beach).

The restaurants on the property are very good. We ate all but one meal on the property. There is a variety so you can go cheaper at some and spend a lot at others. Punta Arena was outstanding. Great food, Great service, candlelight by the beach...wonderful experience. $170 USD for family of 4. Did go to Eddie's Place it was ok, nothing to write home about.

Spa was nice. On the 5th Day they started telling us that no kids under 16 were allowed even with parent. They are 14 (son) and 11 (daughter). That was may least favorite part of the trip. My kids really enjoy whirlpools and the like.

We did book 3 excursions online with vallarta-adventures prior to going down. I will post a separate review of that. But summary: swim with dolphins - my kids loved and I loved watching that, trip to Marietas - WOOOWWW whales!!!, zip-lining - fun and Rhythm's of the night on New Years was cool but benches at show not very comfortable. I will try to come back and add photos.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank speedcheerdad
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 8, 2011

Loved it. Excellent grounds and swimming pool plus beach! Picked us up at airport too. Excellent service at the amny restaurants. The room was fabulous. I never write reviews like this. One negative, they are a bit too much into their timeshare program but do let up if you insist.

Farmington, Utah
Reviewed January 3, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the mayan palace. It was very clean, the bell hops were superb, the housekeeping was great, the foryer smelled good, beautiful grounds, great taxi service, good food, nice rooms but the pillows were ancient!!!! I loved our whole trip but even my kids were complaining about the pillows. I hope this review gets to management and they can take care of the problem. No hotel of this caliber should have rock hard pillows, if you think about it. I told the time share sharks that "I would have bought, but the pillows were not in comparison to the Westin" They were not pleased. We went to the grand mayan for a day but decided we liked the palace better. It was less crowded , had more mexican families staying there, very friendly staff and the pools were more conducive to viewing our kids in the water and the ocean. I would not upgrade just to have new and fancy, we prefer, nice friendly people, peace and quite and better views. Little kids like the water park but you can't see them very well unless you follow them around and our teenage kids were bored after a few hours. We were mostly impressed with the staff and how friendly they were to us. WE like his resort because they really liked large families and treated us so well. I would love to bring my family here again. The conciere will try to sell you discount tickets for the tours. We did the time share and then they wanted to send us to another to get the tours for half price which we did. It was a nightmare but we saved almost 500.00. I don't know what the price would be if you went to Vallarta Adventures and booked directly through their offices. They are great and all the tours we did were fabulously safe and fun. I think the hotels mark the price up and then tell you you can have it for less when you could have it for less if you just shop around. Next time we will know better. We wasted half a day that we could have been with our family. Just something to think about. live and learn. That is why I wanted to write this report. All the wonderful people and staff we met were worth it. Its such a friendly place and was very safe and fun for the whole family. If you stay here, aske the taxi driver to take you to Claudios Resaurant. We went twice and almost a 3rd time we loved it so much. Great food, great atmosphere, great people and true culture. Our kids loved it. Ask the taxi drivers, they know where all the good local places are. We had one take us to another amazing place but I can't recall the name. It was something somthing de la Villa. Not far from the mayan properties. The word meant a big pot they cook the meat in. Ha Ha. Good Luck.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family