“So worth it.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nuevo Vallarta
Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Seattle, Washington
“So worth it.”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

I want to preface this review with a statement that I am not a resort kind of person. I like a more of a gritty "meet the locals" kind of travelling. I came to the Mayan Palace Nuevo determined not to like it. But they won me over. I haven't changed the way I prefer to travel, but if you like resorts, this place treats you right.

I'll start with the cons because I want to end on a positive note because they deserve it. First, it was 950 pesos for a week of internet access. Seriously?

Next, it is WAY WAY far away from Puerto Vallarta's downtown (200 peso taxi ride) which is what they want because they try to keep you on the resort. But they do offer a free day-trip tour to go downtown and beyond. And lastly, there is no nightlife here after 11 pm, at least when I was here in early May.

That's it, though. Nothing else is bad at this place. The service is beyond anything I've ever experienced in Mexico. In case you don't have a clue, the staff at most places in hotels and resorts despise you. It's a fact of life in touristy areas. I don't know how they train the staff here, but I cannot detect the slightest annoyance of any kind from anyone here. Everyone greets you as you pass with a sincerity that even I couldn't manage in my customer service days. Truly top-notch professionalism. The food, although expensive as usual in resorts, is excellent which is not the norm from my experience.

The dinner shows and entertainment are also spectacular that would rival a Las Vegas show. The grounds are maintained to perfection. They have full service areas for laundry, essentials, and the fitness center is some of the best I've seen.

I am a business person/consultant by trade and I can truly say that I would have nothing to teach the management at Mayan Palace Nuevo (which includes their other resorts Grand Mayan, The Luxe, etc.). They know their stuff and they know what it takes to make a person feel welcome and comfortable.

One last note, if you have kids. This is the place to go. Pools, pools, and more pools.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank CliveDexx
Stephanie9ijn, Owner at Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, May 7, 2011
Thank you for the nice review. I'm glad you enjoyed it. There is a lot to do in the evening in Puerto Vallarta and I felt safe there with 3 teenagers; I agree, it would be nice if the resort(s) would make it easier to get into town.

Best wishes,

Stephanie Lynch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Illinois
Reviewed April 29, 2011

place was awesome. The only thing that happened is i booked an oceanview room and didn't get it. When I ask about it they said that it depends on your time share. I bought a week froma friend that owns a time share with RCI. When I went downstairs I ask at the desk and they told that I had to talk to one of the ladies out front. When i went there it was the time share people from HELL. She told me that she would not move me until I listen to their 90 minute meeting. I wasn't gonna do that. Called friend she called RCI and I was moved to an oceanview room in 1 hour; Thank you so much RCI!! You were awesome. After that it was the best vacation I could ever ask for. Clean, beautiful. The only thing that you can't do here is go to the other resorts to use their swimming pools. Go figure. Mayan palace does have a beautiful pool but the other pools have lazy rivers and bigger waterfalls. Food at the Mayan Palace was good. The people working here were the kindest people ever. They would do anything for you. We took a taxi into Puerto Vallarta cost $25 a trip. it was Beautiful. Alot of neat shops. I got a lot of cool things. Felt safe nothing happened. We ate at Pi Pi's you have to eat here. It is really good Mexican good and DRINKS. LOL

There is also a photographer that will come to you if you would like your pictures taken. She is at the Grand Mayan Palace out by the pool. Her name is Annie and she is from Romania. There are others too be she was so sweet and took some really cool pictures.I think the name of the company was Dream Makers

Would I go back here. Heck yess but I wouldn't deal with the time share ladies. LOL All you have to do is tell them NO and they leave you alone.

Room Tip: Stay on them or they won't do nothing about it
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank 1urbanfan
Stephanie9ijn, Owner at Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, May 1, 2011
I'm glad you had a good time. Thanks for the positive and helpful review.
Vancouver island
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Well, after reading many comments on this resort I wasn't sure what to expect when we got down there.
Everything did go smoothly, so that was a blessing but my comments on the resort are.
The complimentary transport from the hotel to the resort was great.
While we are not owners, we got a two bedroom suite facing the ocean, that was a bonus.
The balconies are small and therefore no furniture on them, that was disappointing.
Yes, the fridge is small, you cope.
The two burner hot plate works okay, not super fast but not super slow either.
Let's say the kitchen set up is to try and get you to eat at their many restaurants.
The food is expensive, and it is just okay. We found that the best food was at the pool bar.
Yes, the drinks are super pricey...crazy infact..if you want a non alcoholic drink, it's the same price as alcohol.
I did bring a cooler bag down to the beach and pool area and was told it was a no no. The "cooler-cops" were out in force everyday. I just hid it in another bag.
The walk from the room is a bit long, but it is lovely. The gardens are beautifully landscaped and they are constantly pruning, etc.
On the last day, I sent my 11 and 14 year olds to check out the lazy river and wave pool at the Grand Mayan, they didn't ask them to leave. They did have to sneak past the "cops" over there though.
We were only asked twice to go to a meeting. They never bugged us again.
There was no charge for our safe's in our rooms.
We booked an excursion from "Innocente" on the beach. He is an older man with a big smile". We went on the canopy zip line tour, which has the highest zip lines. It was great. The trip to the activity was in an open air bus through some very rough terrain and a few people got a little motion sick. The restaurant at the activity was also really good.
I would definitely recommend that one. We paid 50 US for adults and 40US for the kids. He also paid for our taxi to the pick up point and we were brought back to the gate with the tour bus.
The beach sand sure gets hot at this time of year...you need shoes. The surf is great for older kids.
I would not go back because of the food issue.I have two teens as mentioned and it is just so much easier for them to eat when they get hungry, which is pretty much all of the time.
If there had been an oven and/or a BBQ, it would have been better.
Overall our trip was great.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Jacqui G
Thanks for the thoughtful review. I'm glad you had a good time I can surely relate to trying to feed teenagers without an all-inclusive! The mini-kitchen does help though.
Best wishes,
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Just spent a week at the Mayan Palace at Nueva Vallarta. Note that the name of this hotel is confusing because there are more than one “Mayan Palaces” out there. The following is just what I think, I know others will disagree. The Google Earth co-ordinates are: 20 deg 40’ 49.97” N and 105 deg 17’ 07.42”W.
Pros:
1) Quality - The most beautiful, spacious, luxurious place I have ever stayed at. Super clean, marble floors everywhere, staff constantly keeping everything sparkling and making sure your visit is perfect. Gorgeous grounds, pool, beach. Almost everything worked. When the toilet plugged they came right away. We bought groceries at Walmart and the Mega store and ate in our kitchenette except for one meal each day which we ate out. If beach resorts were theme parks, this would be Disney World. It is more lavish than I needed. I was amazed that this place is flanked by some other resorts that are more high end – the Bliss, the Luxxe, and the Grand Mayan.
2) Friendly people – the resort staff and the residents of Nueva Vallarta and Puerto Vallarta were generally very welcoming and helpful. I got the sense that they appreciated that we were visiting there and they wanted us to enjoy ourselves and come back. The few hawkers on the beach were discrete. The sellers at the stalls were fun to haggle with. We walked around Centro for two afternoons and Bucerius one afternoon and felt safe and welcomed everywhere. We shopped at the trinket stalls in Bucerius and in Centro plus there was a designated spot for the stalls next to our beach. After a short while you start seeing the same merchandise over and over.
3) Safety –In the city of Puerto Vallarta generally I had the sense that it was safe for my wife and I to walk around during the day. During the night I would not walk around secluded areas in any city. There is some crime in PV as there is in any city, so you have to use common sense. Within the isolated confines of the Mayan Resort however I felt like it was really really safe and I felt I would be OK even if I did not use common sense there.
4) Food – We avoided the expensive in resort restaurants except for the breakfast buffet place which we went to the last morning before we left. Here is a list of where we ate over the week: Friday at Lagunas down the street. Saturday at Rebeccas in Centro. Sunday at Rhumba Café buffet at the Sea Breeze. Monday at Playa Del Sol (Belair Grand). Tuesday at Javitas in Centro, Wednesday at Eddies down the street, Thursday at the Fiesta Mexicana, and Friday before we left we had the breakfast buffet at the Café del Lago right next to the Mayan Palace. The food, ambiance, and service at each of these places were excellent and I would highly recommend all of them. Note that I am not a foodie and do not pretend to be an authority, so some people might disagree.
5) Weather – best weather I have ever experienced – 25 to 30 deg C, never rained, never too breezy, hardly any bugs but we did get a few bites.
6) Timeshare Presentation – right after we checked in a lady sat down with us for around 15 minutes to talk to us about going to the timeshare presentation. She was persuasive but we were firm that we were not going to attend. The next morning she phoned to invite us again and we said still said “no”. The following morning after that her assistant phoned and we still said “no”. That was the end of it. I think that as long as you say “no” to the presentation you will be OK and the Mayan Resort sales people will leave you alone except for those two phone call follow-ups which I did not mind.
Cons:
1) Extra costs. There is a safe in the closet but it costs something like $400 pesos for a week. The laundrymat costs $100 pesos for one wash and one dry. No free internet – I forget how much but the internet café downstairs charges a lot. Wifi would have cost $1400 pesos for the week per computer. Price is 50% less for the second computer. If you use the big bottled water in your room they will charge you for it. Towels for the beach require a $400 peso returnable deposit. Cab from airport to hotel was $450 pesos. From hotel to airport was $145 pesos. Check out time on our last day was 10 A.M. and they threatened that they would charge us a lot of we were not out on time so we made sure we were checked out well before 10 A.M.
2) Distance from town. The resort is about 10 miles from downtown Puerto Vallarta. We mostly took the bus to get to town. The free resort golf cart type shuttle took us to the main gate in a couple minutes. From the main gate we caught a city bus which took us to the Walmart. From the Walmart we took another bus which took us to the old part of PV. The bus ride can take a long time ( 1 hour plus) but for me it was part of the sightseeing and getting to see the locals. I liked it since we were on holiday and not on a schedule. There is a free tourist bus also which we took once.
3) Construction. They appear to be building several more high rise resort buildings next to the Mayan Palace. Our balcony faced east - we were about 100 or 200 yards from jackhammers, dump trucks, bulldozers, pounding etc. If our rooms had faced the ocean it would have hardly been noticeable. It looks like there will be construction ongoing there for quite some time. If I were going back I would try to get an ocean facing room.
4) Little old CRT TV’s I found it strange that in such a fancy place the three TV’s in our unit were little old 18” CRT TV’s. You would think that they would have newer LCD TV’s. Not a big deal for me though.
5) High Price. We stayed there because we got a good deal, but it is very expensive if you pay full price. I would never be able to afford their regular room rates.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
12 Thank DwightTraveller
Stephanie9ijn, Owner at Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Thank you for the detaled and thoughtful review. I want to try some of those restaurants. Your insights and advice were very helpful.
Glad you enjoyed it,

Stephanie
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 9, 2011

We made reservations at this resort because of the incredible reports of the beautiful beach. We had booked two resorts one in Puerto Vallarta and the other in Nuevo. Even though we still had days left in PV we went over to NV early to check in and check it out. After checking in we were escorted to this counter to get id bracelets where we ended up getting suckered into a 90 minute breakfast timeshare presentation scheduled for the next day. Then we went to the rooms which were studios with 2 double beds. Knowing our cousin 6'3" wouldn't be able to sleep on that comfortably and I sat on one and knew my husband with back issues wouldn't either was a big let down. Not to speak of the long long walk to the pool and beach on a wooden plank overlooking a green swampy water. When we went to the pool we did order some lunch and it was really good. But, we were not liking what we saw.
With a promise of discount excursions during our stay. To make a very long story short our 90 minutes lasted 6 hours. Then when we could not take a minute more one of our party gets up to leave. So, I went with her. Now the guys come out and say we need to come back in to make our excursion purchase. We decided to finish that up later at the Mayan in PV where we got the run around again and had to come back another time, the person wasn't available. Mind you we had to take taxis to each of these places and now we are getting shorter on vacation days. They were trying to get out of the deal they made with us for the discounts. We ended up buying 4 excursions and using 2. We were exhausted from all this run around. Then they tried not honoring our $100 credit to the room. Which we had 2 meals one check-in and one at the Mayan Pv while waiting for the person they never got a hold of to honor our discounts.
We never did spend a night there as we just added days to our resort in PV. We could not and would not stay at a Mayan.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
10 Thank Tkerslake
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 6, 2011

Great resort with ocean views from half or golf course views from the other half of the rooms. We loved the bar at the Mayan beside a lovely infinity pool overlooking the ocean with view of the Sunsets. Path to the pool was shared with the shuttle but they were just finishing some stunning renovations when we were there so there would be several routes now. The shuttle was frequent. The shuttle was great for taking you to the end of the property for excursions off site. The staff out front were really great! Nothing was a problem and everything was immediate, they should be commended.
Pool was nice but not huge like the Mayan in Playa del Carmen. Pool service was great.
Sushi restaurant onsite is amazing but very expensive. Italian restaurant just outside resort is very good and reasonably priced.
Recommend going to Bucarias. The market is great and best Mexican food ever at the big orange restaurant on the shore.
The only hold back on this recommendation was the terrible experience of the Timeshare meeting. After 4 hours we decided to trade our Ont prop to upgrade at the Mayan. That night we changed our mind and went 1st thing to cancel (12 hours later). They intentionally put us through 5 people, long waits and delayed the cancellation with every tactic known to man. This was not resolved until 3pm so almost 2 days of our vacation with 4 kids was wasted. We will never do another meeting again. We won't go back to this resort or the Grand beside because of this awful experience. Be firm when you arrive about no meetings, this would've made the difference.

Room Tip: Ask for oceanview, the sunsets are great
  • Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank KarenGeterdone
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2011

The previous review from Winnipeg nails it. We travelled with 3 small children under 9, and Nana. The nice things about this resort are the grounds, the pools, and the service staff. The rooms, although outdated, are large; we had an adjoining one bedroom and the kids slept on the couches. The flowers and foliage were gorgeous. Over all the staff worked tirelessly to keep everything very clean. Nana has a timeshare, so we were RCI tag alongs so nicely avoided the sales pitch. The negative things were the countless rules that others have mentioned (my husband was reprimanded for poking his head into the gym with Holeys on) and the inflexibility of senior staff. The drinks at poolside, as well as the food, were definitely overpriced and mediocre. We discovered that a large drink was over twice as much as two small drinks, yet was way less in volume!! We accessed the kid’s club next door...once. My nine year old was bored and the 5 year old misbehaved, which was not conveyed to us by staff. My daughter, who likes crafts, liked it. We bought all of our food at the close by Wall Mart ($6-8 by taxi) and made 90% of our meals in our room, eating out at the poolside or snack bar only a few times, and once at the Havana Moon for dessert (also not noteworthy). The burners are super slow, and yes, bring EVERYTHING including sharp knives and salt, pepper, spices, etc. There is NO OVEN. The rooms are spacious, but the beds were definitely not high in terms of comfort. Another thing to mention with children: the water area just outside of the bar is deep, and you have to really watch your kids and warn them along the boardwalk until you get to the paths to the beach. As with other large resorts, the pool was further away from our room and it necessitated bringing copious supplies along when we headed out (this does not seem like a big deal, but when you are a mom who packs and prepares her kids backpacks 3000 plus times a year, it would be nice not to have to do this on vacation). The walk was quick, about 10-12 minutes, but with 3 tired kids on the way back, stretched out to 15 or 20 at least. Often, the youngest needed to be carried home. One other issue: in the pools was that my two smallest children cut the bottom of their toes a few times, so bring water proof band aids to the pool area (??Uneven tiles??). We were also subject to a multitude of insect bites on our lower extremities: like mosquito, but itchier. We were 'guests' at the Grand Mayan one day (kids pools and wave pools are great), but I liked the pools at the Mayan Palace better: more peaceful. Everything is 3 feet deep in the larger pools, so anyone under 5 needs close supervision. There is a separate adult pool for those wanting quieter surroundings. The beach...well, little ones will be leery to jump, the waves are quite large, and you have to put up with garbage bags everywhere of daily clean up(natural wood, etc. not garbage per se, but there was some garbage that floated up). If your kids are 10 years old plus, they might have a blast, but again, close supervision is needed. The waves and undercurrent can be dangerous; it is not a toddler friendly beach. There are rocks, twigs, etc. everywhere, despite efforts to keep the beach 'clean'; in its natural state, is not the best beach for walking except near the water. Bring shoes for the beach to avoid punctures. The walk along the beach between the Grand Luxe, the Grand Mayan, the Mayan palace, etc. on the boardwalk is patrolled and I felt quite safe on a stroll with my husband at night. But you are isolated, in general, at this location. PV is a 30 minute taxi ride. My son ended up coming home without his dinner in a taxi with Nana one night as he had sudden travelers’ illness; we were careful so do not know what the source was. Everyone else escaped it. Overall, I think there are better resorts for families in Mexico on that side of the ocean. We've been to Tulum and Ixtapa and enjoyed our hotels there much more. As we did not choose this location and facility ourselves, I would definitely choose something different next time.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family