“Paradise? Or Masked Hell?”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nuevo Vallarta
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Los Angeles, California
“Paradise? Or Masked Hell?”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I loved a lot of the design and decor of the resort. It was more modern and in tune with my vibe. The creepy elements like the wristbands, pithe helmet clad security everywhere and constant phone calls to see if we wanted to check out the time share presentation were totally bizarre to us. We were on our honeymoon and I can't believe how often we were interrupted. We had the do don't disturb sign on our door but that didn't stop the maid from entering and the concierge one day.
The food is overpriced and subpar especially for vegetarian and vegans. We tried the burger custom made (my salmon burger was really fishy and the veggie option was just weird) and we got veggie tacos by the luxxe pool (was ok, but only lukewarm and almost as if it was microwaved). We opted for cooking ourselves and going in town for other meals (highly recommend cafe des artiste to get your money's worth).
We started out on the first floor. It smelled weird and the shower was a handicapped type and leaked water all over the bathroom floor. There was no tub. We were moved strangely day two and thought they were going to rope us into a timeshare presentation, but instead they just kept calling us about it. We then got into room 7761 which has two suites but the second day they locked us out of the second suite and then on the fourth day they brought maintenance in to bring down a metal wall to separate the balconies (it was inconvenient considering our fave thing was to hang out naked on the balconies in the soaking pool--it was our honeymoon people!!!).
Anyway we didn't use the concierge because it was much easier to find our own deals elsewhere and then there was a ridiculous mix up with the valets each time to get our car. One day it took 40 minutes to get it. Another day they lost ours. In the end they forgot to add the $40 charge to our checkout and cost us an hour to deal with paying that and getting the f*#% out of there.

Room Tip: If you have time and patience go to the time share presentation. Take four hours even if they say 75...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank slecnokim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (800)
Texarkana, Arkansas
Reviewed September 3, 2013

WOW, everytime I go here changes have occurred with the physical layout, but not with the overall service or other ammenities. 1st time to stay at the Grand Luxxe but it was worth it. Jorge at the GM pool provided great service at all times, always made sure that I had plenty of cold beers and even opened them pool side for me. Jamie and his staff at the Punta Arena resturant provided excellent service and food that was out of this world. His choice of wine also was outstanding and made the dinner just ever more special. Even when we did have a minor issue, the staff did everything possible to ensure that the outcome exceeded our expectations. Can't wait until next year to go back.

Room Tip: Any ocean view in tower 1 is great.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Keith S
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Luxxe for a third year in a row, and it is even better now than the first year! The first couple years I stayed here the construction noise was horrible as both sides of the building had something going on. THis year I did not hear a thing at night! THe Luxxe has an awesome gym with seperate rooms for different types of cardio. THe Luxxe now also has its own spa, no more sharing with Grand Mayan customers, and it is NICE. THey provide you a lounger while you wait, no more sitting knee to knee with others. Oh and to top it off they now have the Santuario, which is a great spot to catch some entertainment (get there early, it gets packed). If you are staying at the Luxxe you have access to all the other pools, including the Bliss pool, which I highly recommend. The snack bar there serves Sangria and has different food than is served at the other pools.

The service is excellent everywhere but make sure to go see Modesto and Jairo at the Luxxe bar and get a expresso martini! Also Raphael and Gilberto out by the pools wont let you down!!

The only downer was the sales pitch. This was my 4th at a Mayan property, and by far the worst!! The woman told me it was an 'update' when we checked in, which I knew was bull, but I did it to save 10%. I told the saleswoman I expected just an update and did not want to tour the property. When I told her I did not rent my extra weeks she went off on me and I told her it was not my responsibility. Quiet at a sales pitch for five minutes ...probably the first time ever! Needless to say it got worse from there. Horrible, I will skip next time!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sdsuindian
Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed August 29, 2013

New and clean. Excellent service. The pools are beautiful and the beach is great too. A variety of restaurants, all of which were incredible. My favorite thing was the poolside service where I had buckets of ice cold Corona and shrimp ceviche brought to my lounge chair. We never wanted to nor felt the need to leave the resort for anything but for those that do want to venture out downtown Puerto Vallarta is a short cab ride away. I would definitely go back. This resort allows for the true R&R vacation experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank travAPRN
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The pictures say it all! The service is impeccable. I went there because of what a close friend of mine had said when his family stayed at the Grand Luxxe. The resort has it all...very many swimming pools, a cool lazy river, great food; to many restaurants to name, a concierge on every floor, 24 hour room service, close to Puerta Vallarta and the Board Walk with shops, restaurants and entertainment. My daughter and her friend had a great time on the excursions offered at the travel agency on site. Oh, did I mention the beach and ocean? You won't want to leave! I hated too. Finally, I see reviews that talk about the construction. It is minimal. No inconvenience or intrusion from noise or anything else. I'll go back for sure.

Room Tip: Get one that faces the beach or at least the west. Beautiful sunsets!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bob L
Connecticut - USA
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I checked into the Grand Luxxe 8/16/13. Right away I realized this was the most beautiful place ever! I sat down at check in prepared with all my trip-advisor notes. I asked the nice Nigerian woman not to put me on a low floor because of the loud birds and construction. I also asked to NOT be put in a mold smelling suite. She was so kind to give me a mold and mildew smelling suite, complete with LOUD BIRDS squawking and construction!! I called to complain they said they would send someone up, they did not. By the second day me and my party had bad headaches from the smell. I went to the lobby and Practically cried I was so upset. They moved us from 7256 to 7253 and 7249 for one night. Then to 7251 and we kept 7249....but there are three of us so one of my best friends is sleeping on the floor pull out couch. Our original mildew unit 7256 had one king bed and two queen beds just right for my party. Now we have two king beds and an extra living room we don't need. I have owned time share for over 20 years....never had to beg 7 people and still have them get it WRONG! the people working here are nice, but they CAN'T get it right. I gave up on complaining. The lounge singer Jaycee is AMAZING! Gotta see these folks try to sell me a timeshare......to be continued

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank Smile923
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Smile923 :

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at Grand Luxxe.
We are shocked to learn about the inconveniences experienced during your visit since we are always looking to surpass our clients’ expectations of genuine hospitality by providing outstanding facilities and service excellence. With that in mind, your feedback will be shared with all the appropriate areas in order to ensure they all have accurate information so that your check-in is an efficient and pleasant experience.
We hope you allow us to make your next stay an unforgettable one.
Best regards,
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta Management.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed here August 9th thru 16th, via an exchange thru Interval International in a Master Suite (2BR & 2.5Bath) at the Grand Luxxe. Upon entering this MEGA resort comprised of 5 resorts (Grand Luxxe, Grand Mayan, Grand Bliss, Mayan Palace and Sea Garden) you instantly feel like you’ve been transported into a tropical oasis.

Check-In: This process went extremely smooth until... They told us that our room wouldn’t be ready for another hour or two and it was in Tower III on the first floor Rm 7080 I believe (which totally turned us off!!!). So while the wife went to get info from the Sales Team (from Vida) regarding the Spa, I went to go check-out the room. Just like in the other reviews the rooms are fantastic, however this one was on the 1st flr with a view of plants and trees. I guess they place you in Tower III if you’re doing an exchange. So, I rejoined the wife and asked the sales guy about getting another room and he stated that if we were willing to do the tour (Timeshare Presentation) he could do something for us. And within 10mins he scheduled the tour and found a room that was ready in Tower II on the 4th Flr.

The Master Suite: As I said before the layout is great, but once I started to look around I noticed there was no dishwasher or garbage disposal, definitely not a deal breaker. At first glance our view was of the Mayan Palace which they are building a 5 story entertainment center next to it and a golf course that’s also under construction. However, the terrace is huge and when I walked out further and looked to the left we had a partial ocean view (great for watching the sunset) which made up for the eye sore of the construction and the noise was minimal. Our room was 7454.

Restaurants: The Grand Luxxe property has about 10, however we only visited 6 and I have nothing bad to say about any of them, quality of food and the staff was great. Our favorite was Havana Moon and The Burger Custom Made, try the Tuna Burger and the Land of the Sea (it’s Kobe Beef w/ a Lobster tail on top).

In summary, the resort is huge and you would think that the quality of service would be somewhat low but it’s definitely not the case here. The staff, pools and other facilities were all awesome!!! We will definitely return, but not until all the construction is complete.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family