“Fantastic vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nuevo Vallarta
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
denver
“Fantastic vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

We are Grand Bliss owners but exchanged another time-share for 2 weeks at the Grand Luxxe to see how they compared to the G. Bliss. This whole experience is something to behold. From the concierge on every floor (Aldo is great), to the extra amenties at the pool that everyone has mentioned, it makes you feel real special. The rooms are similar to the G. Bliss but quite a bit roomier in the living area and the deck. Yes there is a lot of construction going on but we did not mind it at all. The train station..called the Sanctuario is supposed to open any day now and looks like a nightclub with a pool! Honestly I have no negatives about our stay from check-in to the shuttle service to the restaurants. Everything has been wonderful. Of course we went to a presentation and it was more for information to us than anything. I believe that if you are really honest with your presenter, the whole thing is not a negative experience. We found out a lot of good information about the plans for the next couple of years. When this place is all done, it will be the masterpiece of this entire area!!

Room Tip: You can always ask for tower 1 but good luck getting it. We were in tower 3 and enjoyed our view of...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank beachloverjkg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

In the 16 months since my husband and I visited last there are many new and exciting changes to the Grand Luxxe and the entire Mayan property. One "key" change was the implementation of wrist bands which double as the key to unlock the door to your unit. We found ourselves patting our pockets to find our keys. Grand Luxxe Tower 3 is now open. The shopping center previously planned for the lower floors of Tower 3 is now planned for the Mayan Palace location.The Grand Luxxe is planning two story units in tower 3 to fill the gap.

Don't miss the new gymnasium/Brio in Tower 2. There is an amazing assortment of exercise machines, and free weights. Spinning and yoga are offered for an additional charge. This Brio doesn't have any spa services, which are still located in the Grand Mayan Brio. There is rumored to be a new Spa facility across the golf course in the almost finished stage. There are elevated walkways being installed across the roadway between building 1 and 2. It should be finished next weekend.

Getting around the property now requires a stop at the new Sanctuario or Santuary, which is where the taxis drop you off and your luggage is loaded or unloaded. This is a beautiful new building and the name Sanctuary is very fitting. It is scheduled to open the second weekend in December. The music playing so far has been Andrea Boccelli and Cirque du Soleil. Definitely take a look at the chandeliers hanging in the Sanctuary.

For the most value get the meal plan if you plan to eat in restaurants on the property. My husband and I did not take our dinner coupons with us the first night to the new Hamburger restaurant opened in the lobby of the new Punta building. Two Hamburgers, two French Fries additional, then add a double margarita and a beer and you have a $820 PESO dinner. You can do the math. The coupons work out to about $25 USD for each meal.

We decided to eat at Gong tonight, and had one of the most memorable meals in a long time. We used our coupons, which made it very reasonable. Tonight, Saturday is Peking Duck night. Since neither of us in fond of duck we opted for the traditional appetizer, entree and dessert. My husband was totally in love with his shrimp and onion tempura, and I enjoyed the tofu and citrus salad which had four nice big shrimp and the most enjoyable sesame seed covered tofu cubes. For our entrees my husband ordered Crispy chicken and I had the most succulent sweetened black cod with asparagus and hijiki (black seaweed). Since the meal plan did not cover a rice or noodle dish, which was ala carte, we ordered the fried rice. For dessert we both ordered the Banana Gong, which was the most delightful dessert; carmelized bananas topped with a dark chocolate ginger mousse, tempura plantains, topped with vanilla ice cream and a side of pinapple chutney.

We opted to eat inside the restaurant because I always manage to get eaten by bugs. It was a bit cool inside, but we were quickly offered shawls. We ordered hot tea, and I am not generally a tea drinker, but they had the most amazing assortment of teas. If we had not had our coupons the dinner would have been over $1200 pesos. The teas and sides of rice came to $330 pesos. The wait staff was very attentive. The chef came out and played "Happy birthday" on his violin, in perfect pitch. I highly recommend you eat at Gong for a memorable meal.

We spent the first week in the lock off suite which has no cooking amenities. We used the carafe in the Nespresso machine to get the morning coffee service from our concierge. We bought a paring knife and two plates at Walmart plus a pyrex dish to cook in the microwave. If you are creative you can cook a little bit, but mostly reheat in the microwave.

Yes, construction is ongoing but I like to think of it as the future of the property.

Room Tip: Up higher is always better. Facing the river is a good choice in building 1 or 2 . Bring binnocula...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Sue H
kelowna, bc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

We are just wrapping up the first week of our 2 week stay at Grand Luxxe which we have enjoyed immensely. The rooms are wonderful, staff couldn't be more accomodating and apologetic for the inconvenience of the construction all around us. We have an 8th floor room in bldg 3 and yes we look out over all the workers who are constructing the next $4 million pool area and it is noisy, but our 4 year old grandson is totally entertained with all the activity off the deck area. We too are amazed at all the work going on and so impressed with what is being done to make our vacation experience better and better each time we come. The staff are so helpful and friendly that it is more annoying to listen to the grumblers who are rude and nasty to them, than it is to put up with the construction inconvenience. The first few days we were concerned about the distance from the beach to haul everything back and forth compared to the Grand Mayan and Grand Bliss but we soon figured out the short cuts and shuttles. It is a temporary situation that needs to be tolerated and if it isn't something you want to accept then go elsewhere! As far as I am concerned it is still an amazing place, we are not even in the room for most of the day so the noise isn't that intolerable and the great service and amenities far exceed the standard of the Grand Bliss or Grand Mayan. If you want to be closer to the activities and the pools then keep to the GB or GM for now.

2 Thank cashew0914
newtown, pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Although I was a bit disappointed in the view from my master suite, our predominant request was to be away from construction. Look, we all bought pre-construction, so eventually the thing has to be built. The service was awesome, the unit was beautiful, and the whole vacation a wonderful success.

You need to know that I call the pool area around the Luxxe, the morgue. It's so quiet and uneventful, but if that's what you want -- and a lot of folks do -- it's great. We head over to the much more raucous Grand Mayan, which has unending activities to keep your kids busy. I have two teen boys, 14 and 16. They were completely engaged in the activities which were not at all childish. There was a group of about 25 kids around that age, and they were incredible. They had a blast, but you can tell they were raised well. I also credit an excellent recreation staff.

The surf was awesome at 80 degrees with 6-8 foot waves. The carribean it's not. Body surfing and boogie boarding were great pastimes, and thoroughly exhausting. The service in the beach area was also much improved.

The restaurants were as always great. We did the meal plan, and I think it was well worth it. We had a couple of dinners off site, so buying one book less than you would otherwise need works well for that.

I have to say that the site is developping beautifully. We attended the update and frankly it was just a refinement of the information from last year. There are still plans for a theme park, but you can now see the construction site from the top of the Grand Bliss (which turned out beautiful). The whole Luxxe water park is in the midst of aggressive construction. You have to take shuttles, but they run pretty often. The drivers are a blast. They are wonderful ambassadors for the complex. I doubt management truly appreciates their full value to the vacation experience. We had shuttles at the LVHC Presidential Suites in the DR, and you can see there how it can ruin a vacation.

We are likely to stay next time at the Grand Bliss. That's not because we have any issue with the Luxxe, but it's closer to the GM, and you may find that more important than the concierge service.
One additional thing about the Luxxe -- the concierges do your laundary for $6.50 per load. It comes back folded and ironed (even the underwear). With our membership we get an extra one bedroom at the Grand Bliss when we use that facility, so it opens up some possibilities for extra guests for us.

The construction seemed to bother very few people. I think if you're in the new part of building 3 you are exposed to it, so be sure to request another area (building 3A is fine), even at the GM or GB. Like I said it has to be built, and we did get good pricing at pre-construction. It does not appear that the new deals have the same amenities or pricing. They are building new lofts in the area formerly planned for the walking mall through the Luxxe. That function will be transferred to the Mayan Palace building under severe redevelopment.

Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Do what you can to stay away from construction. Consider even the Grand Bliss or Grand Mayan.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank thelevinefamily
McKinney, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

One year later and little has changed other than the location of the dirt and jackhammers. It's 7:00 pm with jackhammers above, hammering in the room next door, and earth moving equipment outside causing dust so deep it is unhealthy to sit on the veranda.

After multiple pleas and assurances, we have yet to be moved to a higher floor where the air might be healthier. I understand this is a busy week, however, it's not right to be told that you can be moved to a higher floor tomorrow and nothing is done.

Building 3B opened last week, Grand Luxxe Management, why cause problems for your owners and ultimately yourselves? It's beginning to make Sea Garden look like a better option!

Room Tip: The problem is that you do not get to choose your building, floor or room. If given a choice, all I...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Karon H
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

A couple of friends of ours won a raffle for a week in the Grand Luxxe and invited us along to stay in their Master Suite. The room comes equipped with:
-2 Bedrooms
-2 full bathrooms
-1 Powder Room
-Good sized kitchen complete with stove and dishes
-Large living/dining room
-Balcony that runs the entire length of the suite, big enough to hold another dining room table, couch and a plunge pool
-the aformentioned plunge pool
-A 2nd(!), smaller living room with it's own little kitchen and separate balcony.

...Yeah, this is the nicest play I'll ever stay in.

The staff was *extremely* friendly and helpful. The pools were quiet and the food on-site was excellent. The gym was immaculate and mostly empty. Waiting for the shuttles to take you to various locations got annoying on occasion and construction was less than ideal, but hardly a burden. Great spa and my wife and friend very much enjoyed the lazy river over at the Mayan.

The only real complaint I have was the time share presentation. The "90 minutes" was actually about 5 hours. After saying no (over and over gain), we were then sent off to "get our discounts", which actually mean being sent for another group, called Grand Paradise Club. If you thought the Grand Luxxe salesman were annoying, wait to you hear these guys. After saying no dozens of times, we walked away and were literally followed down the hall while the guy was shouting out prices ("what about $1500....$1100!!!), desperate for a sale. Grand Paradise Club ranked among sounded were the slimiest snake oil salesman I've ever talked to. If you buy into it, I have some magic beans to sell you... That hiccup aside, we collected our 10% off and 1000 peso credit off our bill (I'm not sure it was worth it).

Simply put, the Grand Luxxe, even with construction and sleazy timeshare salesman, is the nicest place I will ever stay.

I miss you Grand Luxxe :(

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Atom H
Gurnee, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Timeshare Presentation:

I have been to several timeshare presentations in general and many on this resort. Timeshare salesman’s are worst in the United States. Yes if you are remotely interested in buying yes you will be there for a while. If you simply say no and mean it they may not be super excited about it but they will honor your request and of course they will not remind you to pick up your free gifts, discounted tours or whatever. Once you are an owner it is simply an update.

You need to know if you intend on upgrading before you go. You choose your destiny. Their job is to sell you a timeshare. Most of the conflicts I have seen which has been many amongst potential buyers are because one spouse wants to upgrade and the other does not. The timeshare salesman is obviously going to continue to talk to the one who wants to upgrade and try and make an offer that can’t be refused. You will need a 25% deposit on anything you intend on purchasing which is usually the stop all or slows any forward progress anyway.

Food:

My wife and I are owners and we recently returned from the property. In our opinion if you intend to eat on the resort it is cheaper to buy the meal Pass. We had a 300 dollar food and beverage credit and 6 lunches/dinner with 6 breakfasts. It averages out to less than $25 dollars a meal. Yeah I know breakfast may be expensive but if you intend to eat dinner at one of the restaurants with the intent to have an appetizer, main entree and dessert get ready to pay upwards of $75 to $100 for two people per dinner outing. Unfortunately they do not have dinner plans only. You can also order an omelet which comes with toast and hash browns for about $8 bucks if you do not want to eat at the breakfast buffet. They also have an early bird special for 30% off if you go to breakfast between 7-8 A.M. It is a resort so expect things to be a bit more expensive but they are not as expensive as some of these reviews make them out to be.

Our bill was about $7,121 pesos which came out to about $521 dollars in total during our stay at the resort which included. Three rounds of golf and two 90 minute massages. Overall that is not that expensive for a week stay. You will not get a good exchange rate on the resort. I recommend charging everything to the room and paying with a credit card for the best rate. Go to an ATM and your bank should provide you with the best rate for cash.

Buy groceries and cook In your room:

A lot of people go to the Walmart which is about $6 dollar taxi ride away. Its Walmart need I say more. Prices are pretty cheap. You can buy food and cook every day in the rooms which have fully equipped kitchens.

Taxis: (Catch the Bus)

If you intend to go to Puerto Vallarta to eat a taxi ride one way is $20 to $30 dollars dependent on where you are going and $15 dollars to get to the airport. Therefore either catch the bus which will only take an extra 10 to 15 minutes and pay a few bucks. If you catch a taxi you might as well eat on the resort unless you are eating at the cheap taco stands or getting something quick.

Drinks:

Drinks or about $7.50 to $12 dollars. If you go to a happy hour you get two for one. There is also a happy hour trail that we found which basically means you bar hop from one bar to the next. When one happy hour shuts down you can walk to the next one. If you are big drinker this is your best bet or buy your liquor and beer out in town. Have a few drinks in the room then go to the nearest happy hour.

Non-members being a member have its perks:

If you are not an owner of a Grand Luxxe two bedroom suite or higher do not expect to get into tower one or above the fourth floor in any building. You can request it but don’t get your feelings hurt when they say no. The best views and high floors are reserved for members with full benefits; it’s the reality of it. We had to learn this the hard way and when we were owners of the one bedroom Luxxe suite so RCI, and timeshare vacation exchangers no need to get upset. Yes if you are not a member there is a fee associated with everything from internet, using the gym, spa and few more things. If you can afford being a member I highly recommend it you will not be disappointed. However until you are Grand luxxe 2 bedroom suite owner you will not fully reap all of the benefits of the concierge services at its best.

Construction:

As noted in numerous other reviews the construction is ongoing and has a projected completion of about 5 years. Helpful Hint: Stay in the Grand Mayan and you would not even know it exists. They are working to improve our vacating atmosphere and they have done a fantastic job thus far.

Luxxe Tower one is obviously is less affected. Tower two is completed with and Tower 3 is well on its way to being finished. However, they have not completed the pool areas and landscaping there. So yes you will see ongoing construction if you are in those buildings and have to catch the shuttle to the tower one to visit the pool area or go to one of the many other pools on the property. They do not allow you to walk for obvious safety reasons.

As far as the noise it really is not that bad. Do to the numerous complaints they have virtually resulted to actually having the workers dig ditches with shovels and chop bushes down with machetes. If they were able to use the modern technology they do have they would probably be almost done around the prime lounging areas. But they are trying to please their members and make progress at the same time.

I hope this review was helpful. I like to be candid and honest. Once this resort is complete it will be an adult paradise. I am well-traveled and I have stayed in some of the most luxurious hotels in the world and the Grand Luxxe is in an affordable luxury league of its own. It is simply designed to keep you on the Grand Mayan Resort. There are not too many reasons to leave unless you’re going on tours or want to go site seeing.

Room Tip: Rooms Facing the Rest of the Resort will probably render the least construction issues. If you are n...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple