“Well...It's All Down Hill From Here”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nuevo Vallarta
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
New York, NY
“Well...It's All Down Hill From Here”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

A couple of friends of ours won a raffle for a week in the Grand Luxxe and invited us along to stay in their Master Suite. The room comes equipped with:
-2 Bedrooms
-2 full bathrooms
-1 Powder Room
-Good sized kitchen complete with stove and dishes
-Large living/dining room
-Balcony that runs the entire length of the suite, big enough to hold another dining room table, couch and a plunge pool
-the aformentioned plunge pool
-A 2nd(!), smaller living room with it's own little kitchen and separate balcony.

...Yeah, this is the nicest play I'll ever stay in.

The staff was *extremely* friendly and helpful. The pools were quiet and the food on-site was excellent. The gym was immaculate and mostly empty. Waiting for the shuttles to take you to various locations got annoying on occasion and construction was less than ideal, but hardly a burden. Great spa and my wife and friend very much enjoyed the lazy river over at the Mayan.

The only real complaint I have was the time share presentation. The "90 minutes" was actually about 5 hours. After saying no (over and over gain), we were then sent off to "get our discounts", which actually mean being sent for another group, called Grand Paradise Club. If you thought the Grand Luxxe salesman were annoying, wait to you hear these guys. After saying no dozens of times, we walked away and were literally followed down the hall while the guy was shouting out prices ("what about $1500....$1100!!!), desperate for a sale. Grand Paradise Club ranked among sounded were the slimiest snake oil salesman I've ever talked to. If you buy into it, I have some magic beans to sell you... That hiccup aside, we collected our 10% off and 1000 peso credit off our bill (I'm not sure it was worth it).

Simply put, the Grand Luxxe, even with construction and sleazy timeshare salesman, is the nicest place I will ever stay.

I miss you Grand Luxxe :(

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Atom H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
Gurnee, Illinois
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Timeshare Presentation:

I have been to several timeshare presentations in general and many on this resort. Timeshare salesman’s are worst in the United States. Yes if you are remotely interested in buying yes you will be there for a while. If you simply say no and mean it they may not be super excited about it but they will honor your request and of course they will not remind you to pick up your free gifts, discounted tours or whatever. Once you are an owner it is simply an update.

You need to know if you intend on upgrading before you go. You choose your destiny. Their job is to sell you a timeshare. Most of the conflicts I have seen which has been many amongst potential buyers are because one spouse wants to upgrade and the other does not. The timeshare salesman is obviously going to continue to talk to the one who wants to upgrade and try and make an offer that can’t be refused. You will need a 25% deposit on anything you intend on purchasing which is usually the stop all or slows any forward progress anyway.

Food:

My wife and I are owners and we recently returned from the property. In our opinion if you intend to eat on the resort it is cheaper to buy the meal Pass. We had a 300 dollar food and beverage credit and 6 lunches/dinner with 6 breakfasts. It averages out to less than $25 dollars a meal. Yeah I know breakfast may be expensive but if you intend to eat dinner at one of the restaurants with the intent to have an appetizer, main entree and dessert get ready to pay upwards of $75 to $100 for two people per dinner outing. Unfortunately they do not have dinner plans only. You can also order an omelet which comes with toast and hash browns for about $8 bucks if you do not want to eat at the breakfast buffet. They also have an early bird special for 30% off if you go to breakfast between 7-8 A.M. It is a resort so expect things to be a bit more expensive but they are not as expensive as some of these reviews make them out to be.

Our bill was about $7,121 pesos which came out to about $521 dollars in total during our stay at the resort which included. Three rounds of golf and two 90 minute massages. Overall that is not that expensive for a week stay. You will not get a good exchange rate on the resort. I recommend charging everything to the room and paying with a credit card for the best rate. Go to an ATM and your bank should provide you with the best rate for cash.

Buy groceries and cook In your room:

A lot of people go to the Walmart which is about $6 dollar taxi ride away. Its Walmart need I say more. Prices are pretty cheap. You can buy food and cook every day in the rooms which have fully equipped kitchens.

Taxis: (Catch the Bus)

If you intend to go to Puerto Vallarta to eat a taxi ride one way is $20 to $30 dollars dependent on where you are going and $15 dollars to get to the airport. Therefore either catch the bus which will only take an extra 10 to 15 minutes and pay a few bucks. If you catch a taxi you might as well eat on the resort unless you are eating at the cheap taco stands or getting something quick.

Drinks:

Drinks or about $7.50 to $12 dollars. If you go to a happy hour you get two for one. There is also a happy hour trail that we found which basically means you bar hop from one bar to the next. When one happy hour shuts down you can walk to the next one. If you are big drinker this is your best bet or buy your liquor and beer out in town. Have a few drinks in the room then go to the nearest happy hour.

Non-members being a member have its perks:

If you are not an owner of a Grand Luxxe two bedroom suite or higher do not expect to get into tower one or above the fourth floor in any building. You can request it but don’t get your feelings hurt when they say no. The best views and high floors are reserved for members with full benefits; it’s the reality of it. We had to learn this the hard way and when we were owners of the one bedroom Luxxe suite so RCI, and timeshare vacation exchangers no need to get upset. Yes if you are not a member there is a fee associated with everything from internet, using the gym, spa and few more things. If you can afford being a member I highly recommend it you will not be disappointed. However until you are Grand luxxe 2 bedroom suite owner you will not fully reap all of the benefits of the concierge services at its best.

Construction:

As noted in numerous other reviews the construction is ongoing and has a projected completion of about 5 years. Helpful Hint: Stay in the Grand Mayan and you would not even know it exists. They are working to improve our vacating atmosphere and they have done a fantastic job thus far.

Luxxe Tower one is obviously is less affected. Tower two is completed with and Tower 3 is well on its way to being finished. However, they have not completed the pool areas and landscaping there. So yes you will see ongoing construction if you are in those buildings and have to catch the shuttle to the tower one to visit the pool area or go to one of the many other pools on the property. They do not allow you to walk for obvious safety reasons.

As far as the noise it really is not that bad. Do to the numerous complaints they have virtually resulted to actually having the workers dig ditches with shovels and chop bushes down with machetes. If they were able to use the modern technology they do have they would probably be almost done around the prime lounging areas. But they are trying to please their members and make progress at the same time.

I hope this review was helpful. I like to be candid and honest. Once this resort is complete it will be an adult paradise. I am well-traveled and I have stayed in some of the most luxurious hotels in the world and the Grand Luxxe is in an affordable luxury league of its own. It is simply designed to keep you on the Grand Mayan Resort. There are not too many reasons to leave unless you’re going on tours or want to go site seeing.

Room Tip: Rooms Facing the Rest of the Resort will probably render the least construction issues. If you are n...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
22 Thank Johhny B
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed November 4, 2012

If you do go to the sales "breakfast" it will last 4-6 hours of your vacation, to get yor 10% off of your activities. Also IF you are interested in the program, hold off until the thrid person comes to table to offer you the better/best deal. What started off at an $98,000 upgrade to the Villa with extra bonuses such as "Mansons of the World" went down to $5,000 with the Supervisor. (3rd person that tries to sell you, when you say "no" repeatedly). The company is constantly inventing new "programs" to get you to upgrade with each visit.

When you check out, make sure they give you the 10% discount, they have forgotten to do this without me asking for it, 3x at different stays at the Luxxe.

The room is great, the place is nice. Keep in mind it is still under construction. There is no easy way to walk to the beach. Their system is to take their golf-cart system, so you are waiting on rides to where you want to go.

Very clean. Food is good.

Off the the resort recommend a restaurant that is a cave. The name is "Alux". It is a wonder all of it's own.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank 123BMR123
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Loved, Loved, Loved this place. Did an Interval trade and ended up here. First trip to Mexico. This place is amazing. The staff is beyond excellent, the rooms are beyond large and the maids are so helpful. There is a lot of construction and we were quite close to a big part of it. Instead of being put out by the noise and hustle and bustle, we actually spent much time watching it. Was fascinating at times. On the negative side.. restaurants are expensive and not all were open when we were there. No bar in room (would have been a nice option). We did shop at Walmart. More expensive than in US but easily accessible by taxi. We also ate off property at some local restaurants a few times (very good food). Check in time was 5 PM and quite lengthy after a long flight. Check out is 10 AM. They have a lot of cleaning to do, including the big deck and soaking tub we had on our deck. Because of the construction we had to go convoluted ways to get to other parts of the property (Grand Mayan) but they had trams for those who did not want to walk on the beach. We were aware of what transportation to take from the airport and what not to take. The airport is new, air conditioned and very nice. Was not a big deal to go thru customs there. It pays to read about options before you get to the Grand Luxxe because you are presented with several options and we were lucky to know what was coming and what we wanted to do (for onsite food, other things). Overall an enjoyable trip and we would go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank KalenaJeanne
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is an AMAZING resort. The suites are very large and comfortable. They have been constructed within the last two years, so everything is basically new. The bathrooms are huge--with a shower the size of a large walk in closet and a beautiful free standing jacuzzi tub. There is maid service during the day and then the maids come around again in the evening and tidy up, turn the bed down, and leave chocolates on your pillows. There is a concierge for every two floors of the buildings. She was amazing. She brought coffee to the room at 9AM every morning free of charge based on my request at the beginning of the week. She made reservations for everything we wanted and even got our boarding passes for us when we left. The massages were great. I would have liked to have brought one of them home with me because she was so good. At the pool they come around and clean your sunglasses, offer cold towels for your face and bring resort made popsicles in great flavors. All of the resort staff is extremely friendly and helpful. We had a special package deal with the resort and didn't have to worry about the price of food, but it is quite pricey. But the servings are huge if you don't mind leftovers for lunch the next day. Room service is quick and reliable if you want a meal in your room. The only drawback right now is that there is a lot of construction going on. It didn't feel restful to be on the balcony during the day because of the noise. But the resort has a goal of finishing it late this year. The resort has four different levels of membership, but Grand Luxxe visitors can use any pool or attraction. This would be great for kids because there is a wave pool, various kiddie pools, a lazy river and a small water slide. We did not golf, but there is a good course there and lots of people come to the resort for that specific attraction. All in all, I could not ask for more. I believe you will love a vacation at this resort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank lovetotravel55229
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I wish Tripadvisor had 1/2-star ratings. Grand Luxxe is better than average but not quite very good. Like some fellow reviewers, I am on the fence about how to accurately rate the property . . . there are so many fantastic features and yet, in some ways, it fails to deliver . . . My review is a lengthy commentary and well-detailed. I am not an owner at the Grand Luxxe, but traded into it through Interval International. I had several e-mails with the resort concierges and the property manager prior to my arrival so I was well prepared ahead of time.

You should book ahead with the resort to get from the airport to Grand Luxxe. Follow their explicit directions. Do not stop until you physically view the Miller Transportation Services (MTS) sign which is well after the shark tank where people will misrepresent who they are and try to get you to do their timeshare presentation. MTS was superb in whisking us away to the resort which is less than a fifteen minute ride. You arrive as the "Sanctuary" which is a central transportation center for the Vida Mayan Resorts. Ultimately, this will be a train station to transport you to and from the airport as well as future planned areas, but right now, it is the shuttle station to take you to the various properties, hire a taxi, etc.

As you shuttle to the resort, you get a glimpse of the massive construction underway. I promise this will not be the last you will see or hear of it. Since we were well aware of this before we booked (thank you Tripadvisor reviewers), I am not going to complain a lot about it. It was a choice we made with full knowledge. Just know that no matter what building you are in, or what direction you face, you can't avoid it. Day one it was tolerable; Day two, it was a little louder with trucks everywhere and nauseating fumes emanated from the trucks into the pool area and the restaurant to boot. Day three, the jackhammers started. From inside, they sounded like a very full washer on high spin, but from outside, it was often deafening. Just when you think they are going to stop for a mid-day siesta, they start up again. Day four, we could only enjoy our gorgeous and expansive patio before 7 am and after 7:30 pm. We had enough!

We had a little drama when we first arrived as they couldn't find our reservation. Ultimately, we found out that we were booked under my husband's first and middle name as opposed to his first and last name. Total confusion for about a half hour but we didn't panic knowing we had our confirmation from II in hand as well as an e-mail correspondence between me and the GM prior to our stay. We were advised that our 2 bedroom suite in tower 2 was not ready and that we could get ours keys at 4:30. Since check-in is stated as 5 pm on all documents, how could we complain? We were seated with the timeshare rep for about 10 minutes. We also knew this might be the case, so we just relaxed about it. We agreed to do the presentation from the get-go since we knew it was pretty much inescapable and would lead to further hounding if we refused. (More on that below.)

The suite/villa is huge. We had a two bedroom all to ourselves which gave us two full bathrooms and a powder room as well. The kitchen is fully stocked, but has no oven or dishwasher. It has a full-size microwave and a large refrigerator and freezer. There are two coffee machines in the kitchen -- regular full size and a Netspresso. Note that the Netspresso is an extra charge. Our first night, we did a trip to Walmart (60 to 70 pesos each way) and bought our own coffee. We drink quite a bit of coffee, so the morning coffee service by the concierge was a nice touch, but not adequate for us.

The shower is awesome and big enough for a party with a lovely rainfall shower head and a handheld wand as well. The bath amenities are Etro. You even get a net sponge in the shower. There is ample closet space and hangars galore, as well as lots of large drawers. The bed is extremely comfortable.

My favorite part is the huge patio which I believe is counted in the suite square footage. It spans the entire suite. There is a separator wall that comes down on the patio if you only have the one bedroom unit to separate off the lock off. However, with the full 2 bedroom, you have two chairs and a side table, one dining table with four chairs, two loungers and a little wading pool. I don't think you can get much sun on these patios which face north and south. But, morning coffee before the construction begins and evening drinks after the construction halts are both so relaxing. A few mornings and nights we had an incredible light show with the lightning storms. Just spectacular!

The timeshare presentation is not that bad. We knew from other timeshare presentations what might be in store for us. We had an adorable rep named Candice who didn't pressure us at all. The Vida program speaks for itself. The vision of the owner is truly amazing with plans for its own “city” on recently acquired property adjacent to the resort. The plans include an outdoor retail and dining complex, adventure park, water park, equestrian center and amusement park. It sounds like Nirvana. Our only question is . . . When will the construction ever stop? It seems to me that they will always be tearing down as new things are developed. If you are interested in purchasing, don't take the first offer though, as they will get better. After saying no to Candice a couple of times, we were whisked off for our gift, but wait, not so soon as they will try a few more offers . . . if you are the slightest bit conflicted, they have a program (not an ownership) that will allow you to just get your feet wet, but it does not give you access to the Luxxe or Bliss properties. We still said no. They tried hard, but we knew that would be the case. Plan on four hours, not the 90 minutes they say it will take. Between the shuttles back and forth and breakfast, that easily chewed up the 90 minutes. On the shuttle back, for another perspective, a lovely couple told us it was the worst thing ever and that they were so turned off, that they wanted to leave the resort immediately! (Note that our sales rep indicated to us that the Grand Luxxe will be phasing out of its affiliation with Interval International and RCI within the next 12 months so if you are itching to go, and if she is right, then now is the time!)

On the service end, Grand Luxxe does it top notch. The concierges on every floor are so friendly and helpful. The wait staff, housekeeping, shuttle drivers, and pool attendants are always smiling. Housekeeping is timely, even with turn down service. When we arrived, we were put in Tower II facing all the construction. We were not happy, but they noted if they had a check out in another high floor room with a better view, they would be happy to move us. We didn't have to ask again. When we came back from the pool the second day, they had a suite across the hall from us which had bay and city views which were outstanding! But let me repeat, even if you do not see the construction, you will hear it!

The food at the restaurants is okay -- not bad, not great -- but the service is wonderfully attentive and they aim to please. Given the size of the resort, and the number of people they have to accommodate, I think they have to create tastes that are appealing to the masses -- to put it simply, the Italian restaurant Tramonto is more like Macaroni Grill than your authentic neighborhood Italian. The Asian is more PF Chang’s than Chinatown authentic, the Seafood Buffet we had was more Red Lobster than a fine seafood restaurant. Portions are ample for what you pay, and I disagree with the reviewers who said the food at the resort is pricey. At least once you have to try the breakfast buffet at Cafe del Lago. It is amazing and well worth the price of admission!

The grounds of the complex are gorgeous (minus the construction, of course). The Grand Luxxe pool area is lovely with tons of chaises and sun beds and an abundance of umbrellas. The music at the pool was the best mix with both American and Latino tunes. The pool service is excellent. The attendants bring you cold towels, clean your sunglasses and come by with paletas (Mexican popsicles) that are absolutely delicious and left me wanting more and more!

We had several opportunities to talk to Grand Luxxe owners either at the pool, waiting and on the shuttles, etc. What I found most interesting is the varied points of view. The most often mentioned things they love were: (1) the upscale service; (2) the suites with their top of the line amenities; and (3) the Grand Luxxe is less focused on family activities as opposed to the Grand Mayan. But before they even mention those, they all say they are going to wait a couple of years to come back . . . when the construction ends.

I have to admit that I am not a huge timeshare fan. We own two Hyatt weeks and if not for the fact that we can trade our points into the Hyatt Hotel Gold Passport system every other year, or that we can trade into II at similar properties like Marriott and Westin where many of the resorts are an extension of the hotels themselves, I doubt we would ever have purchased one, let alone two. I am much more relaxed at hotel/resorts. Maybe it’s just the fact that the timeshares have kitchens and it reminds me too much of home?

Having said all the above, given enough time, Grand Luxxe will hopefully be able to deliver the top of the line experience it touts in its presentation and on-line presence, but for now, you might want to choose somewhere else for your total R&R package.

Room Tip: Owners will get a better location and view. Because of ongoing construction, the best locations wil...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
23 Thank msblueyz
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear msblueyz :

Thank you so much for commenting in detail about your stay at Grand Luxxe. We are glad you enjoyed our facilities and we are grateful for your kind words about our overall staff’s service as we consider them one of our biggest assets. At Grand Luxxe we are always looking to surpass our clients’ expectations of genuine luxury hospitality by providing outstanding locations and service excellence.

All the same, we are disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations to the fullest. This will be shared with the appropriate areas as we always work hard to have a clear communication with our honored guests whether they decide to acquire our products or not. Comments like yours enable our continued pursuit of improvement for perfection on our daily performance. Despite any initial shortcomings on our behalf, we are certain the end result will be the vacation resort of your dreams.

We hope to welcome you back in the future; it will be our pleasure to have you as a guest again.

Warm regards,
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta Management.
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the grand luxxe for a week, and did not want to leave! The rooms are awesome and all brand new. There is construction going on, but it didn't bother us at all. The concierge that was assigned to our floor were so helpful and friendly and very accommodating. We grocery shopped for our week there, so I don't really have a review for the food, the little we did eat was good. We attended a timeshare presentation, it wasn't bad, but the free massage we received was not worth having to listen to the timeshare nonsense. If you are staying at the grand luxxe and don't have children there really is no need to go to the Grand Mayan pool, it's very busy and more of a party scene. The only negative thing to me about the grand luxxe was the 10 am checkout time, the earliest I've ever personally experienced- and they would not extend it. And check in time is 5 believe. Overall is was a wonderful, luxurious experience- would definitely go back!

• Stayed August 2012