“The best resort experience we've had so far . . .”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nuevo Vallarta
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Oxnard, California, United States
“The best resort experience we've had so far . . .”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed here as a time share exchange through Interval Int'l. We stayed there same week as gloriajones in previous review and it seems we a slightly different experience. Our room was a studio in tower II, with a good view of both the construction and the beach, haha. The in-room coffee was pretty pricey, but the on-floor concierge brought coffee to my room each morning at no extra charge. She also did our boarding passes and baggage check-in for us. While the construction noise was very loud if we were on the balcony, we perferred to stay on the beach or near a pool. The grounds were incredable and staying at the Luxxe you have full access to all the resort, so I don't understand why anyone would want to stay on their balcony (although the 1 bedroom suites had wonderful balconies). My wife and I could find a pool to fit our mood; from the "wave pool", lazy river, 2 different "party" pools, "adult only" pool, and the three pools at the Grand Luxxe which were by far the nicest. The beach at la Punta (the point) was wonderful, cabanas and chairs everywhere and very attentive staff.
The restaurants were wonderful, service did get a little slow at the Gong but one of the other waiters (I wish I could remember his name) noticed and but us back on track quickly. The Burger was an unexpected surprise, I recommend "the Trio". Three different sliders; Kobe beef burger, turkey/chicken burger on a cornbread bun and bacon wrapped stuffed-shrimp burger . . . fantastic! The Culinary-tour is a must, you start at one restaurant for drinks and appetizers, shuttled to another wine and soup/salad, shuttled to another for main course and wine, then to another for dessert. We also went to both the beach party and the fiesta, food was great, entertainment was a lil cheesy but fun and with unlimited drinks who cares.
I only reccomend the timeshare presentation if you're willing to invest 3-5 hours! If you do want to buy, cut to the chase and start the bargaining process quickly.
Ok, now for the bad. With all the construction, they needed more shuttle service. There were a couple occasions we waited a long time as shuttles passed us because they were too full of passangers. Also, we did have to note that our 10% discount was not incorporated in our bill (all services, including food/drinks, spa and trips booked though the concierge, is charged to your room) but this was remedied quickly.

4 Thank Zane Kui L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We spend a week here at the end of May (we trade in through Interval) and we were given a room facing the construction works (one of the sales person at the presentation told us that the rooms facing the ocean are for timeshare owners only).
The place itself is really top notch, the decor is beautiful, so are the pools and restaurants (most of them, our fav being custom made burgers). The staff is so friendly helpful and attentive and really deserve 5* but there are quite a few things we didn't like.
Firstly in our room (a studio for two persons) there wasn't even a mini fridge (let alone a microwave or a kettle!). The only thing at our disposal was a nespresso machine and each coffee capsule was on sale at the crazy price of $3 each! This is not what would you expect from a five stars residence. It's so hot all the time that you need a fridge to keep at least a bottle of water there.
The construction site was rather noisy (it s okay if we leave the door closed) and you can't really enjoy your balcony to relax or read.
Check in and check our are so badly organised. At check in they give you this stupid bracelet that you have to wear for the whole of your stay (it basically tells them if you are an owner with them and where you are staying and according to that you have a different kind of privileges like 24hrs happy hours) which is rather annoying as it got a bit itchy and couldn't wait to take it off. You feel like you are branded basically, nice uh?
Check out: the guy at the reception invoiced us three times: the first time they charged for drinks we didn't have. Second time didn't take off the amount given us for attending the sales presentation and the third time he forgotten we also had 10% off (once again for wasting half of our day listening to their endless sales presentation).
Furthermore the beach there is not really nice.
I guess it's okay but not for the money you would have to pay to stay here.

3 Thank gloriajones
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear gloriajones:

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at Grand Luxxe. We are so glad you enjoyed our amenities’ décor, facilities, restaurants and our staff’s service. They work tirelessly - day and night, to make our guests’ visits the most comfortable experience ever.

However, we are disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations to the fullest. Rest assured your comments and suggestions will be shared with the appropriate areas to ensure they all have accurate information so that your check-in and check-out are an efficient and pleasant experience. Working to anticipate and exceed your every need is very important to us.

We hope to welcome you back and really impress you.

Warmest regards,
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta Management.
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I agree with Donna R's statement: I feel really horrible that I have to dishonor the amazing staff at Grand Luxxe by writing this review. However, based on my most recent experience, I will not be back to this resort, and feel the need to share the negatives for anyone contemplating a stay in the near future. My husband and I were here in 2011, and were anxious to return. This trip we were assigned a first floor villa in Tower 3 with a view that faced construction - no greenery, only brown sand - with noise and dust continuing all day and into the late evening. It was agreed that we could be assigned to a better room if we agreed to attend a timeshare presentation the next morning. It was brutal: FOUR hours, and ended only when I refused to listen to yet one more salesman and walked away. Note that owners are treated no differently than Interval International trade-ins.I find it interesting that management does not respond to the many complaints posted on this site.

Room Tip: The Punta, Tower One and Tower Two are preferred. As more towers are added your chances of a good vi...
Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank travelluvr3808
Dear travelluvr3808:

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at Grand Luxxe. We are delighted to find out that all our staff was welcoming and pleasant as this is what we strive for every day.

We are shocked to learn about the inconveniences experienced during your visit since we are always looking to surpass our clients’ expectations of genuine hospitality by providing outstanding facilities and service excellence.

As one of the most successful companies in the Mexican tourism field, we clearly communicate the terms and conditions associated with accepting an invitation to our sales presentation and everyone - at free will, attends and we appreciate their visit whether they decide to acquire our products or not.

We will gladly follow-up with the appropriate areas as creating ideal vacation experiences is our main goal.

Your feedback is always welcome.

With all good wishes,
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta Management
San Jose, California
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We did not sleep at the Luxxe, we stayed at the Bliss but were able to enjoy the incredible amenities of the Luxxe
* incredible grounds
*unbelievable pool area and private beach area
*great tequila bar with knowledgeable staff
*fabulous restaurants

I can't wait to go back

3 Thank Getbackjojo
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I will start by saying I work in hospitality management at a 4 star resort so I am fairly forgiving when issues do arise. however this was for my boyfriends birthday, we spent alot of money and I was honestly appalled at the way I was some of the staff treated us.

First of all when I arrived at the grand mayan the front desk person jorge informed me I needed to wait (perfectly fine) after about 15 minutes he let us know we would not be able to stay there because they did not have room and I would be transferred to the grand luxe next door. He also informed us that he would make sure we had an ocean view room 10% off all room charges and 60% off of all adveture packages and a buffet breakfast the next morning. I got to my roomwhich was a construction view I couldn't even see the ocean, after being transferred to three other hotels before getting to mine. I tried to find my floor concierge to discuss room options however after waiting 30 minutes I complained to the 1st floor concierge who informed they were full and had no other options until the next day and that she would have a manager call me by 9 am. Well I called the frontdesk at 930 and no one had any idea I was supposed to move rooms.Celeste the front office supervisor told me she would call me after I was done with breakfast and let me know what my options were.

When I got to breakfast after being taken to two of the wrong buildings I was then introduced to Oliver who informed me I was going to be taken on a timeshare presentation. Oliver was very nice and after explaing to him the check in I had and that I would never buy anything based on my experience thus far he brought in his manager Dale. Dale assured me he would do his best to resolve my room issue. Five hours later.....after continuously saying no Oliver brought out His other manager Marcy and explained our frustrations. She said she could only offer a lower rate on a timeshare...THATS ABSURD! I asked if Dale had made progress on moving our room and the several inconveniences he had not and was able to do Nothing. Oliver then took us to the grand bliss where I was asked several questions about my experience. I was very honest and they had me file a formal complaint with a woman by the name of LAURA. After again explaining what my experience was she responded with and I quote " I would suggest that you learn to have more Zen in your my life".after again informing her that we would never and and definately not from her she turned to her Co worker and again I quote " get these people out of here". Super rude!

The good part of my stay started when I returned to my room with no view to a voicemail from Celeste stating she had a perfect room for me and she was right. The rest of the staff is amazing! !! The property beautiful.

What amazes me is that appearntly their supervisors are the only people that can help and after several requests to have the General Manager or director of rooms email or call me regarding my experience no one has.

Things to note:

The ocean is gorgeous except there was apparently a petroleum spill so when you swim it sticks to you.

The Marina has great places to eat like Eddie's which have way better prices.

Puerto vallarta is extremely close and the boardwalk has lots of shopping. Probably a 15 minute taxi ride.

I was looking forward to the lazy river which was full of screaming kids. NOT LAZY at all. Go to the grand luxe pools they are quite and you don't have to sign out towels.

Room Tip: Ask for odd numbers they will try to convince you that you have an ocean view however unless you are...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank katie0520
Dear katie0520:

We are gratified to hear about your visit at Grand Luxxe. We are pleased to learn part of our resort’s staff was welcoming and pleasant as this is what we strive for every day. We are also happy that you found our property to be beautiful.

It appears as though not all your expectations were met. With that in mind, your feedback will be shared with all the appropriate areas in order to ensure they all have accurate information so that your check-in is an efficient and pleasant experience. Working to anticipate and exceed your every need is very important to us, as we strive to make each and every one of our guests feel cared for, appreciated and respected.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future to truly impress you with what we have to offer.

Best regards,
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta Management.
Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed May 5, 2012

I feel really horrible that I have to dishonor the amazing staff at Grand Luxxe by writing this review. The maids, concierges, restaurant(s) staff, pool and beach staff, shuttle drivers, bell men,etc. etc. are the best ever!! These people will go out of their way to do anything they can to please you and are by far the best thing about the resort.

We were promised Tower 1 when we made our reservation. Upon check in, I was told that rooms were assigned based the amount of investment you had made in Grand Luxxe and that for any given period, the good rooms were given to those who had invested the most money. I guess I must be cheap because we were assigned a room in Tower 3 which has no ocean view on either side and is right next to the new building under construction. After refusing to accept my room assignment and telling customer service that I would sleep in the entrance to Tower 1, we were given a room in Tower 2.

Our rooms were basically just like those of the Grand Mayan with bigger showers and faced the Mayan Palace building which, unlucky for us, was being demolished. This meant that for the two weeks we were there, construction started somewhere between 7:30 and 8:30 AM, including Sundays. Construction generally ended when it got too dark to see....somewhere between 8 and 8:30 PM. One night they didn't leave until 10:30PM!!

It got worse. For the first few days, there was no noise at the pools in front of the Punta Building, Then they started doing construction on this building and so lounging by the pool included the sound of buzz saws, hammering and rebar being dropped every few minutes. OK, we'd outsmart those darn construction workers! We'd just move to the beach area!! Stupid us!! At the beach they were trucking the dirt from the Mayan Palace and dumping it near the river, so even there we had to deal with diesel trucks beeping their way to the river.

When my husband and I went to our "owners' update" we found out that the expansion plans for Grand Luxxe are extensive. When the eight towers are completed, being assigned a room in Tower 8 will be a good 20 minute walk to the pools in front of the Punta Building. These are the only pools worth going to because they are the only ones with a view of the ocean and the vegetation around the other pools, while beautiful, makes it rather toasty with no breeze.

In fact, at the owners' update we were told that they were building a complex 1.5 miles away that would have an amusement park by Six Flags, three more golf courses and a 24 court tennis complex. Whoever wrote that the train station was being built to take people to the airport was mistaken. The trains will take people out to this complex and vice versa.

The food on the different properties was good, maybe a bit overpriced. My husband was disappointed at the maintenance of the golf course. Taking the shuttles really didn't bother us....they ran often and the drivers were very pleasant.

The day we checked out, our flight was not until 6PM that evening. We were offered two options for cleaning up after a day on the beach. Option 1 was 20 minutes in a hospitality room... not so helpful when there were three of us needing to shower. Option 2 was to go to the spa at Grand Mayan and shower and change there. We went to the spa at the Grand Mayan. Bad choice, it was gross. The showers were NOT clean and the bottles of shampoo etc, had their contents caked around the dispensers. Generally nasty.

OK, this is dragging on but I have two more comments to make. I really disliked Nuevo and Puerto Vallarta. Puerta Vallarta has 400,000 residents and was too, too, big for the relaxing "beach vacations" we like to take. Nuevo Vallarta was like being in the suburbs with very few retaurant choices and no shopping to speak of. My stepdaughter and I went to Bucerias... a cute town about a 20 minute cab ride away....go there to buy jewelry and ceramics. My parents, husband, stepdaughter and I all agreed that we like the size and location of the Grand Mayan in Cabo so much better. We will go there in the future.

Finally, to those reviewers who like to bash anyone who makes a negative comment about Grand Luxxe, I do not consider myself to be a high maintenance person and would have much preferred to write a glowing review. Just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't mean that their opinion isn't valid.

Room Tip: Be mean! When we booked our room, we were promised that we would be in Tower 1 so we would be away...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Donna R
Nevada
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The place is beautiful despite the never ending construction.. We were never affected by noise or dust. The staff was very plentiful and helpful when asked.
We were in tower 3, last one opened. Biggest dissappointment is NO pool, Sauna, Steam room, SPA or Ecercise room in the building. Luxxe 1 has only an excersise room...you have to go to the Grand Mayan for those facilities. When complaining we are told it's coming. Not for our time here. and the Retruants are overporiced for Mexico. More later.

Room Tip: We were happier with the Grand Mayan than we are with the Grand Luxxe...it's only bigger! Our r...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple