“On its way to being amazing, but.......” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nuevo Vallarta
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Toronto, Canada
“On its way to being amazing, but.......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

I am currently here at grand Luxxe and I wanted to give my feedback before I get back to my busy world.
First of all, Grand Luxxe is on its way to becoming a beautiful resort. To get there, they have to build and building brings construction and with construction...NOISE.
The unfortunate thing is that I came here to relax in peace and quiet. I envisioned days of quiet peace after working on a major project that took every once of my sanity and to prepare for the next session of classes. My partner only had one week off to prepare for exams next week, so we decided to get away and mix a little "business" with pleasure and PEACE.
Grand Luxxe looked beautiful and I have been on resorts doing construction before, so even though we read reviews about the construction, I did not envision the level of noise I arrived to. No where on planet earth have I been that has been this noisy. Well, first we were put in a beautiful suite on the sixth floor in Grand Luxxe 2 (without any warning that there is construction and a great deal of noise), directly facing the demolition of one of its buildings. Jack hammers and constant noise up until about 8:00 p.m on the day we arrived. Picture being up to catch your flight since 3:00 a.m. (went to bed at midnight) and being welcomed by this. The next day, Sunday, was thankfully quiet, but Monday the incessant noise resumed. I begged to move as I had a migraine at the end of that day, and on Tuesday was moved to another smaller suite designed for the physically challenged on the first floor. When I went to see the suite, the noise was much less at the time and anything was better than jackhammers (or so I thought). Well, we were wrong. It was less but jack hammers intermittently now came, it seems, from directly below or to the side of the suite. So better, but not so much. I didn't even complain anymore because it was obvious that there were no other rooms available and even though the noise was almost as bad, it did not go on ALL day nonstop. It just happened when you are about to take a nice nap.

Okay, let's talk about the good.....service at this resort is above and beyond. The staff is great, everyone friendly and understand the meaning of service quality and friendliness. Everyone greeted you with a smile. I can see employees were happy in their job everywhere on the resort.
Although Grand Luxxe does not have all the amenities, you are given access to all the other sister resorts on site. The Grand Maya is a beauty to behold. The pool and grounds are beautiful.
We took the breakfast and lunch meal plan. We tried the food in most of the restaurants and all were outstanding. There is a classy Mexican restaurant just off the Grand Luxxe lobby, which we ate at twice so far and for Italian cuisine, Tramonto, where the rib eye steak melts in your mouth. Then there is Gong, Asian cuisine at its finest. The best kept secret is Punta Arena, which is not featured in the booklet you get when you arrive, but is a beautiful little seafood restaurant overlooking the beach near Grand Luxxe. If you are there around sunset, it is breathtaking, and the food is pretty good as well. I cannot leave out Cafe del Lago, which we had breakfast (actually brunch) at every morning. The buffet is wonderful with almost every imaginable dish all fresh and tasty.
If you are young and looking for more upbeat vacation, the action is definitely at the Grand Mayan for now. The Luxxe seem to attract more families and a quieter crowd.
So, Grand Luxxe, unless I can be guaranteed to not have to hear jackhammers and take home a migraine in my luggage, I will not return for some time. (I wish I could record this crazy noise which I hearing as I write this). I missed my daily vacation siesta.
I really did not understand how we were a room with as much noise to substitute for another. The only thing that ruined it for me.
I strongly suggest you do not put your guests in these rooms unless you tell them in advance that they will encounter a great deal of noise. As a matter of fact, just don't put them in it. It is impossible.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in Luxxe 1 or facing river to the opposite end of construction
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lizzarm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

Rooms- great mattresses,good linens. Bath: whirlpool tub & large, separate shower, Etro toiletries. Terrace: Ocean view, plunge pool,hammock,lounge chairs, dinning table.
Butler brought coffee every morning & took care of dinner reservations, activities, etc. Pool butlers brought iced towels & cleaned sunglasses. Service was over the top. Grand Luxxe is on the same level as Four Seasons & RC.
Only advice is - don't go to the timeshare breakfast & presentation if you don't want to spend 4-5 HOURS of your vacation.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LLB4
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

We stayed in the master villa suite since we were 2 families. Lot's of room and it was like a home away from home. Shared the large meal plan between us as we were not sure how much eating within the resort we would do. Food was good at all their restaurants so we ended up eating in all but one dinner. Meal plan worked because we could share the meal between 2 people.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank YAYA014
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

Update
We went to Nuevo Vallarta Grand Luxe for the 1st time after my upgrade from grand mayan to luxe.
It was for my daughters spring brake, her, thre more friends of her, my wife and I. They put us up on the 2nd lixe tower, not as nice and plush as the 1st, shown on the presentation, same floor plan, very nice view of the bahia and the town, but no hamaca and you have to walk next door for the redtsurant ( is ok I guess)
Some people at the fron desk were very upset cause they got no view (view to an old building that is suposed to be tore down soon )
I declined on the sales presentation. There was no fuss
The golf course was nice
The kids (20's) had a great time
We were super afraid with the news and all, but it was very mice. We ended up hiring a fishing boat for 1/2 day, called Islas Marietas, it was great, fishing and snorkeling, we dealt directly with the owner at the little marina behind oxxo, $40 per hour 5 hours
I did not drive this time ( nice, low stress) I spend around the same in taxis, but it was much nicer. One day we went to Sayulitas, a day trip. The van taxy guy waited for us. It is a better deal for him, $60 each way, i guess a full days work, plus tip
In town, the happy lobster was the place to go, a little far from the malecon ( taxi) but super authentic, not tourist trappy, and for bar- dancing, "la bodeguita de la esquina" a cuban bar restaurant, live salsa band!
We love PV/ NV
Stay away from the sales desk unless u want to buy!
Maya On!

• Stayed March 2011
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank Mayanbuddy
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

The Grand Luxxe is the upper end of the properties at the Grand Myan resort in Vallarta Nuevo. Our room, a one bedroom suite, was fabulous. The service and friendliness of the staff throughout the resort was really good. We had our own concierge, actually one for each floor. The room amenities were first class. We had a huge, private balcony with a wading pool. Maid service every day. Full kitchen with everything we needed. There was shuttle transportation throughout the entire resort complex.

We traded one of our "lock off" timeshare weeks for this room and what a great trade it was. We did not do the "timeshare" presentation that they worked hard to get us to attend. They offered $300 in room credit for a 90 minute presentation. I was told that they will offer even more if they think you are a candidate to buy one of their grossly over priced (my opinion) time shares.

I wouldn't advise attending these presentations. There are no free lunchs. If you really want to buy a timeshare you can usually get the same thing for less than half the price on the resale market on the internet...that's the way we have done it.

One down side to this resort is that they are building more rooms on the resort so there was construction going on near our room on the weekdays. While in our room we could clearly hear the construction. While out and about in the resort during the day, it was not a disturbance.

Another down side, until you get it firmly accross to them that you are not going to buy a timeshare and will not sit through their presentation, they will bug the hell out of you to go to a presentation.

One last down side...we could clearly hear the phone ringing in the next room and when the baby was crying incessentally we had no problem hearing the child or the child's frustrated parents. Part of this was due to us being in a one bedroom suite with a "locked off" room next door. There wasn't much sound proofing in the door that seperated the rooms. Couldn't hear a thing from the room on the other side.

Don't get me wrong, we loved the Grand Luxxe, the Grand Mayan Resort that it is in and will recommend it to others, especially familes with children.

Food at the resort is more expensive than I expected for a Mexico upper end resort. Since you are on their resort and it isn't practical to go off the resort for meals, excpet for dinner, they can charge whatever they want. We stocked up our kitchen at the nearby WalMart. We had all our breakfests and few other meals in. Great resturants for dinner in town at prices you would expect. The resturants on the resort that we ate at were very good and would recommend them as well.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Wise_Eagle
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

I stayed at the Luxxe in NV June 4-11, 2011. What a place! There is a lot of construction going on right now, and I can't wait to see what it looks like when it is finally done. The staff is super friendly and know your name and your drink after a couple days. I even had a waiter remember me from my trip to Mayan Palace PV last year. The food was excellent! I Got the meal plan, which wasn't really worth it for just myself as it comes with appetizer entree n dessert. The food at both Gong and Punta Arena impressed. The appetizers were good sized and easily split between two. There is no gym at the Luxxe, but there is one at the grand Mayan, just a short shuttle ride. Take a shuttle to the Grand Bliss for some martinis at their bar...the 2 for 1 at happy hour is one of the best drink deals I found.

Biggest problem I had was construction, which went on 24 hrs a day during the week. After requesting a new room I was switched to the first tower (I had been in tower 2). The room I had in tower 2 had an iPod dock, my room in tower 1 did not. Also one of the tvs in the 2nd room had a universal remote, which did not work.

Overall a great resort!!

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
4 Thank sdsuindian
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

The Grand Luxxe is a total wow!
My wife and I may have been the first guests to stay in our room right after Thanksgiving. We are proud Marriott timeshare owners and have experienced enough travel to appreciate that the Grand Luxxe facility is probably the best that we have experienced (30 years of marriage this year).

The area surrounding the resort, off site restaurants, etc. were all average, but the property itself is top shelf.

We rented a car and drove to Puerto Vallarta a couple of times and to Bucerias in the opposite direction. Be advised that you will see guards in many areas armed with semi-automatic weapons, but we never felt unsafe during our entire trip. Everything is valet, so let the concierge help you get the rhythm of requesting your car to its arrival (normally about 15 min).

Prices for food at the WalMart and Mega (the local chain) are about the same - higher than normal if from the USA.

Definitely eat at Eddie's restaurant (only about half mile of property, but because of the size of the Grand Mayan resort property which includes the Luxxe, Grand Mayan, Mayan Palace and Grand Bliss) it is a very long hump from the Luxxe - I would not walk it.

My wife and I travel to play tennis. Disappointingly, there are not courts in the very large resort property that I was just describing. If you can get past the armed guards at Paradise Village, the El Tigre club is a superior experience (maybe $20 an hour). We got in our car and drove until we found courts on a couple of occasions, so at this point in time I can't even remember the names of the other sites we played. In general, be prepared to pay $10 to $20 an hour for court time. We found no public courts which could be accessed by non-guest/non-members.

Recognizing that my wife and I live for tennis, let me emphasize that we were not disappointed at the Grand Luxxe despite the lack of tennis facility.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple