“Nothing to recommend”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Pedro Garza Garcia, Mexico
“Nothing to recommend”
Reviewed May 5, 2009

This is a large time share hotel, so I didn't expect the staff to care about us as guests, because they have high occupancy during holiday seasons. One thing I didn't like at all about this place is the quality of the guests: to say the least, I saw lots of people, mainly adult females, that don't understand that to take a swim in the resort's pools and beach, they should not use their regular clothes, they must use any type of swimming suit; that's what I mean when I complain about the guest's quality. Sorry guys! Bye!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank BoutiqueHotelFan2000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
Wisconsin-USA
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We stayed at the Marival for my wife's 40th Birthday. The resort was nice. We stayed in a suite. The decor is slighly dated, but our room was very close to the beach. The food was ok, with the Italian being the best with the best service and mixed drinks. The Mexican restaurant was the worst food and had awful service.

The drinks tended to be very watered down at the pool bars and seemed to be inconsistent in quality throughout the various bars.

We have always stayed in the Riviera Maya area and this was our first vacation on the Pacific side. The beach was nice, but I really like the beach better on the Carribean side. Overall this was an ok resort. The down side was Funjet advertised that the mini-bar would be stocked daily and included in our all inclusive price. We understood that Marival went to a $5 room service charge, but that excluded the mini-bar. We had to argue with the staff for two days to get our mini-bar stocked once. We went to the FunJet/Traffictours rep and they didn't back us up at all. Once back in the states, I checked the website and it specifically stated the minibar would be stocked daily. I called Funjet and still have not heard anything from them as an apology or at least to acknowledge they were incorrect in their add or the hotel was incorrect. When you are at the Hotel you really don't have any power to make them adhere to their agreement.

So far the Eldorado in Riviera Maya is my favorite resort The food was awesome, the service superb and the rooms very comfortable.

The Allen's-Wisconsin

Laval
Reviewed April 28, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Marival from April 17th to the 24th. We chose this resort because the reviews we read on tripadvisor were positive in general; we were very happy with our decision!!!

Before our departure, we requested (to our travel agent & by email to the hotel) a room on a top floor with a king size bed (as suggested by a Trip Advisor member). When we arrived, we were happy to see that we had a room on the top floor (19th) of the B building. Apart from the very occasional screaming kid, it was a pretty quiet building, we had a nice clean room & a splendid view (pool & ocean). We slept very well!

We had reserved 3 restaurants on the hotel's website but never received confirmation. The day following our arrival, we went to the reservation counter. The very nice lady confirmed that she had received my reservation requests. She explained that she puts together the restaurant schedule on Saturdays (that's why we never received our confirmation) & she proceeded to reserve the 4 à la carte restaurants for us.

The à la carte restaurants were very good. Our favorite was Amalfi & our least favorite was La Pergola (For the food & ambiance). Some people in other reviews did not enjoy La Bamba - I had the beef brochette & my spouse had the Tuna steak...they were excellent! The Ossobucco at Amalfi & the Sopa de Tortilla at Las Palomas were very good!

It was my spouses' birthday during our vacation. I mentioned it to the restaurant reservation lady & she had them prepare a special plate with a Cake & Happy B-day writing on the plate. The staff at the Las Palomas turned off the lights in the restaurant & came out with the cake, singing Happy B-day...It was great!!!

The buffet was also very good, I loved the Pasta Bar! We didn't enjoy the pizza place that much but they had good nachos. La Pergola was a buffet in the morning & an a la carte at lunch. It was OK for both but we prefered the buffet both for breakfast & lunch.

The Beach at the hotel was very nice (no rocks). Some folks left their towel on chairs to reserve their place. I don't know why they did that - we never had an issue getting some good chairs at the pool & beach.

One day we decided to walk north to Bucerias. It was a long walk (Approx. 1 hr 20 min) but it was worth it. We got to see what the other resorts were like, it was a very cute village (you have to walk around in the streets when you get there) and it was great exercise (almost a 3 hr walk there & back).

We did 2 excursions: Snorkeling at Las Marietas & the Puerto Vallarta City Tour. both were disappointing. Las Marietas is a Unesco protected site & we were not able to snorkle were we wanted. The group pretty much had to follow the guide (over 40 people all bundled together), not my idea of a great experience. The water was so freezing that even with a wet suit we were cold in the water....On our way back, some Dolphins followed the boat so that was pretty neat but overall, the Las Caletas excursion is probably a better choice if you like to snorkle.

Initially we were sold the French Puerto Vallarta tour which included stops at the Vallarta Marina, shopping on the boardwalk in Purto Vallarta & a visit of a huge Tequila Distillery (where we were suppose to try Tequila cream which is suppose to taste better than Bailey's). The french tour was cancelled so we did the english one instead. The tour bus rode around the marina area but we never went by the waterfront. In Puerto Vallarta, instead of shopping on the boardwalk, they took us to a mexican flea market - what a nightmare (salespeople harassing us at every corner) & they took us to a small distillery where the Tequila cream was not one of their products + the Tequila was overpriced (cheaper at the Airport Duty Free). If you decide to do this tour, try to get a description of the places that the tour will go (try with a tour agency other than Traffic tours).

The staff at the hotel was fantastic! Some of the best I've seen in all the places we've gone to. They were polite, smiling & eager to please! They looked like they really enjoy what they do & that makes a big difference! The exception to this was the timesharing sales people. They were downright harassing. The first day we told them we were not interested in going to the presentation. They asked us 2 additional times if we had changed our minds - they were really testing my patience. My only advice is If you're not interested in owning a property in Mexico, don't go to the presentation, you'll lose a couple of hours (not only 1 hr) of your vacation & in my book, time is more precious than the small discount that they offer on tours (if you go to the presentation).

Our 2 other small negatives (apart from the timesharing folks) were the internet: very expensive & the pillows: Too hard, they gave me a soar neck.

Overall this was a fantastic resort, a 4 1/2 stars. Well equipped for families with children (and there were plenty of those!). We would recommend it to our friends & family & would go back there in the future.

5 Thank MissSpunky
Richmond, Brirtish Columbia
Reviewed April 24, 2009

Our first trip to Puerto Vallarta stayed in Marival Grand and Suites for the Holyweek from April 8-15. We found a last minute deal from a travel agency 6 days prior to departure, selected Marival as our place to stay and booked it. Though the Marival was rated as 4.5 star hotel/resort, the amenities in the room are very standard (conditioning shampoo, lotion & shower gel, 3 face cloths, 1 hand towel & 4 bath towels, hairdryer,bar fridge, coffee maker and regular TV) comparable only to a 2.5 or 3 star rating in North America. But because of the all- inclusive and all of the resort amenities, 4 pools, restaurants, theater, bars, night club, tennis court, games room, gym and the number of rooms they have made it a 4.5 star rating .So if you needeed more than the standard amenities in the room you might want to bring your own. But we didn't go to PV for the room amenities so no big deal. Oh yes the fridge is stocked with 6 bottled water and 3 softdrinks, replenished daily.If you are a serious tennis player you might want to bring your own tennis racket because the rackets that they provide for free use are all beat up.
We loved the fact that the resort was right by the ocean, you can walk out on the beach anytime you want, watch the sunsets and just be able to relax on the lounge chair and watch the waves come in and out. Because holy week was one of their peak season, there were lots of tourists as well as locals from Mexico during that week and the resort was very busy. We have to get up early to reserve a spot by the beach under a hut (palapa) but after easter sunday there was no problem getting a lounge chair and a good spot. We enjoyed boogie boarding which is free to use for one hour but beware sometimes the waves gets rough and remember not to use your knees to stop your boogie board or you'll scrape your skin. We also enjoyed the hobiecat ride which you have to book after 9 a.m. daily, you can also enjoy this for free but if you are afraid of big waves (sometimes they have to cancell the ride as it really gets rough) , then this is something you should not try. There are other water activities for $ like jetski, banana boat ride , parasailing, etc.
We tried all 4 a la carte restaurants, the best was Amalfi ( Italian) classy and great food, you will be entertained with a live pianist from 6:30 PM to 9 PM she takes breaks after 45 minutes of playing and she's really good! La Pergola (mediterranean), Las Palomas (Mexican) and lastly the La Bamba ( steakhouse) I will not recommend La Bamaba, my husband had a stomach problem, the steak was not great, there are birds flying on to your table and food and chairs had bird pooh, service was very slow and servers were not attentive to their guests needs. If you really like to have a steak, try the selection at Amalfi or La Pergola. I booked 3 dinners through the internet 6 days before arrving to the resort and booked the other restaurant the day we arrived ( you are only allowed to book 3 restaurants at a time in the internet) and don't forget to pick up your restaurant card at the same time at the recepcion desk in Marival Club.If you don't care for a la carte the food at Casa Bella(buffet all day)is a good place to go.For snacks you can stop by the pizza place,open concept located between the club and grand buildings.
Make sure to booked early dinner if you like to watch the sunset around 8-8:15 PM. or book it after this time. We always booked ours between 6:00 to 7:00 PM, that way we don't miss the sunset and the nightly shows at the theater at 9 PM. I found the best place to watch the sunset and take photos is outside Amalfi restaurant, you not only enjoy the sunset but the background live entertainment from the pianist and sometimes with opera singer too. We enjoyed so much that we tipped even the pianist.
I rated rooms and cleanliness Average for the obvious reason that there's really nothing special about the room, cleanliness is not to my standard of 4.5 star, tubs & sink are not cleaned properly you can tell they did a shortcut in cleaning. Service and Overall rating is Very good as almost everyone in the resort are friendly and and helpful the beach area, lawns and public areas are well cleaned and maintained,( only had one problem when I got my laundry back one of the 2 pieces nightie was missing, they said they will have to find out and will get back to me.Waited in my room for an hour when I could have enjoyed the sun in the beach, but nobody made a follow up so I went to the desk and that's when I finally got an answer after insisting that I did not received it. It was deliverd 5 minutes later). For Location and Value I rated excellent because it is a real beachfront property, great views from our room and a great value for an all- inclusive one week stay (we paid $1,540.00 canadian for two adults).
We had a great relaxing time at Marival, there are activities for all ages, you won't get bored.Very safe all you need is inside this gated resort.You don't need to go downtown to shop as there are vendors walking along the beach(buy from people who has ID) just learn to bargain and you will get it.Sometimes they will even let you take the item/s or service if you have no cash at hand at the moment, they'll let you pay it later that day.If you encounter this it is best to let them right down in a paper the amount of service or payment you have agreed so you'll have proof. I had my hair braided and I bargained in mexican pesos 400 for the entire hair which we both agreed. I did not actually want it done at that moment as I was not carrying any cash with me at the beach. The lady insisted she'll do it now and she'll be back after lunch to collect the money so I agreed. When I payed her she said I should add 50 pesos more to reflect the US exchange rate equivalent to 20 US dollars.So you have to watch out for people and vendors who will take advantageof tourists. I advice anyone having the braid to apply sunblock lotion in between the parting to avoid sunburn of the scalp or you'll have big flakes of "dandruff".
With regards to timeshare representatives, just politely say you are not interested and they will leave you alone to enjoy the rest of your holidays.
We tipped our room maid everyday instead of tipping at the end of our stay, it seems everyday is a different person cleaning the room that way they all get their fair share. Same in the restaurants, the better the service the better tip we leave.
We will be back again!!

5 Thank SunC
Wisconsin
Reviewed April 20, 2009

This was our second visit to the Marival with family from 4- to 83- year olds. It's possible that there are better resorts in Nuevo Vallarta, but for us the Marival is a sure bet for an easy, safe and very pleasant week.

Rooms: On both trips we found our rooms impeccably clean, with good linens and a simple, unobjectionable modern decor. Our group had 5 rooms/suites in all, and no one had a complaint. This trip, we had a 3-bedroom oceanside suite equipped with 3 king beds, 4 full baths and 3 balconies (room 5105). It had far more closet space than most will ever need; for example, the upstairs bedroom alone had 2 large closets, a bank of open shelving and a full dresser. While we loved sitting on the balconies and watching the waves, we made almost no use of the living, dining and kitchen areas during our 8-day visit.

The rooms are equipped with handy door hangers to request special maintenance or housekeeping attention. Two light bulbs were replaced immediately and we noticed no other maintenance issues.

2 Thank BadgerNomad
British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2009

My husband and I booked a very last minute trip to this resort staying April 8-15th. We took our 11 and 13 yr olds with us, and I must say, we certainly got our money's worth! It was a great deal at less than $700pp including taxes! It is a very family-orientated resort. The resort was full- over capacity during our stay and there were many locals there enjoying their Spring Break/Easter vacation.
Our package was through Signature Vacations out of Vancouver, and even though we were delayed over 8 hours and didn't get to our resort until after midnight, all other travel details went off without a hitch.
The good thing about getting into the resort so late was that it saved us from having to deal with the time share sharks I read about being set on you when you arrived. They did call the next morning to invite us down to receive our information package and I managed to convince them to just give me the map and activities booklet by saying I wasn't interested in the ttimeshare speech.
Check in and check out went smoothly. I found the desk staff professional, but not very warm and fuzzy.
Rooms were quite spacious, but pretty basic. If you want to use the room safe, it costs you $2/day for the lock/key. We were put into room 1652 on the Grand side. Initially we were disappointed that our view was of the neighboring resort, but we came to appreciate the quiet location. One nice thing in the bathroom was that there was a bathtub which I haven't seen in many all inclusive resorts I've stayed at.
Food was average, I'd say, and the buffets were pretty typical all inclusive fare. There are plenty of dining options to choose from including 4 a la carte dinner restaurants. We ate at the Amalfi (Italian) and La Bamba (steakhouse) and thougt the food at both was very good. La Pergola (Mediterranean at supper) is also a no-reservation-required a la carte for breakfast and lunch. We ate here for both and enjoyed it as well. There is only one full-time buffet restaurant (Casa Bella), which also had a seperate kid-friendly food area directly outside it that was great for kids.
Activities were plentiful on the beach, at the pool as well as various other locations around the resort.
There are also many bars throughout the resort and the bartenders always filled our insulated mugs without issue.
Internet is available in the business center at $2 for 15 minutes, or WiFi anywhere on the resort for about $15/day- pretty steep!

General Impression: This is a resort that really caters to families with young children. It has a great water park area for young ones and there is an active kids club and fun events for them throughout the day. The teen club was actually a games room open to everyone and frequented by young kids glued to the X-box. We thought this would be a great place to take our young teens as well, however, we were diappointed with what was available for them. The archery and rock climbing that was advertised was only at scheduled times, and all other sporting equipment needed an adult to sign it out for them. Other resorts we've been to respected the independence teenagers need and enjoy having. Perhaps a one-time waiver signed by parents would accomplish this.

All in all, we had a relaxing, enjoyable time. This is our second trip to the Pacific side of Mexico (we stayed at the Royal Decameron last year) and probably won't go back unless we get another great deal. I remember feeling a bit let down after our trip last year and thought it might be because of the resort. Well, we tried a different resort and had the same feeling. I think we just enjoy the Caribbean side better and have set the bar high by staying at truly wonderful resorts.

2 Thank sunshinedreamer
maple ridge
Reviewed April 16, 2009

Just got back last night, have to say this was a bargin for its buck. Yes the rooms smell musty, but its mexico and that happens all over mexico. The beach is beautiful, soft sand, lovely large warm pools, great drinks, although no drink service which was a bummer, clean, the staff was friendly but not overly like I've had at other resorts, plenty to do. I like that you can exchange your canadian dollars at the hotel for pesos and get a better rate than exchanging it for Us dollars than into pesos. the nightly shows were great especially the circus one it was fab . the food was plentlfull more than enough to choose from. I don't think mexico is known for its food, for all the mexican resorts I've stayed at , I find the food bland , however I ate well and didn't get sick. The waves at the beach were large, so body sufing and boggie boarding was great, but they wouldn't let you kayak, and made for impossible snorkling, we did a day snorkling trip on some boat called the beachboy, NEVER AGAIN, serious waste of time and money, snorkled for 15 mins at most and didn't see a thing, then got dumped off at some beach with nothing to do for 5 hours, no one was happy. Don't bother going to the local town of busarias, again a waste of time and money, just go to downtown puerto vallarta and you'll see it all, walk the malacon. Two buses get your there, one to wallmart than one downtown, easy to use the buses and cheep and nearly all the mexicans we encountered spoke enough english to help us out.. We flew out of vancouver with skyservice and had a 12 hour delay, bloody waste of time, however they handed out about 30 dollars per person in food vochers, and got us there in the end. The planes are ancient and crowded and not much leg room, the food on plane was gross except for the yougurt and cheese. One the return trip we managed to leave 45 mins early , wow, guess they were trying to impress us. NOT, got a voucher for a 100 dollar credit on the next skyservice trip, but that WONT HAPPEN AGAIN. ALl in all an excellent 8th trip to mexico, each time a different city.. Interenet 2.50 for 15 mins. Safe for 3.00 per day.
we stayed in the Grand section its newer, the club section is older, but closer to the buffet. There are 4 al la cartes still open, we didn't bother with them as the buffett was good enough for us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#39 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
#13 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#9 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Marival Resort & Suites? Share your experiences!