“Good experience overall”

Marival Resort & Suites
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My spouse and I stayed at Marival during the last week of December 2013 to celebrate New Year's Eve. We really enjoyed the experience overall especially with the room we had beach front (the sunset is incredible!!). The huge disappointment was the weather that was just crappy! But this has nothing to do with the hotel - just a bad coincidence. The hotel has a perfect size - not too small so you have quite a lot of bars & restos variarity and not too large so it doesn't take you forever walking from A to B. I'd say it is more a family oriented than couple or single oriented hotel so your kids would probably enjoy the resort. The buffet is horrible...just be aware. But the resto (with reservations) are good, and good cocktails too. The beach is clean and huge so you can walk long distance which is great. One of the thing that annoyed us was the time sharing harassment upon your checking on day 1 but if you are able to say no, then you'll be just fine. I would recommend this hotel, this is a good quality price option. Enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Juie1
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Traveler
Thank you for taking the time to publish a review of our resort on this web site. We value guests' opinions as they help us in our constant efforts to maintain our high quality standards. We are sorry to hear that weather proved uncooperative during your stay, which is exceptionally unseasonable. We would love to welcome you back with lots of sunshine as we enjoy today, to make your stay most pleasant.

There are newer reviews for Marival Resort & Suites

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I never write demeaning or nasty critiques about places, hotels, restaurants, theatres etc.. that I attend. If I find I do not enjoy or like these places - I simply do not return.
However, after consulting trip advisor and the numerous complaints written about this resort Marival resort hotel in Nuevo Vallarta, and going against my better judgement - i booked an 8 day vacation for me and family at Marival. I believe a vacation is exactly that - to relax and leave all of your stress behind and to regroup and spend quality time with your family and rest. This hotel will not afford what you require for vacation purposes. It is a very stressful hotel commencing with checking in - I have ever EVER had such a horrible experience with checking into a hotel. we arrived at 11:00 am and had to wait until 5 pm for our rooms and were charged for beverages and food while we waited! We were told that we also had to attend a meeting to get better discounts: all they wanted to do was sell us something else. We declined. Did this hotel respect our wishes? NO!!! Everyday they would call at 8am to book a date for us to attend this hotel meeting! FOR CRYING OUT LOUD - I AM TRYING TO GET SOME REST HERE! The food at the buffet tables were scraps - there was never enough - and when the food did arrive at the buffet tables there huge lines and when we got to the tables - the food was gone! The supposed premium restaurants they have - were worse... a very bad Attitude by everyone - and let me tell you the food was runny with loose sauce or frozen product! Furthermore the Bathrooms throughout the hotel are scarce... So if your kids have to go - you better be prepared to run about a city block to find a bathroom in this hotel! The bars at the swim pools - consider yourself lucky if you get a cocktail or beer within an hour. .The bar staff is constantly talking with one another and forgetting about the guests! They simply ignore you! I wish I could say somethig positive about this hotel... I can not. I am advising freinds - family - loved ones. Do not, Never - ever uder any circumstances go to this hotel. It is horrible!

Room Tip: No vengan a este hotel!
8  Thank Chaz_luciano
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with future travelers.
We are sorry to read that you had some inconveniences during your recent stay with us. We will certainly share your concerns with our staff as we want each of our customers to have a perfect stay.
Referring to your experience upon arrival, we would like to inform you that our check-in time is 12:00 noon and room keys are given at 3:00 pm, however, we can check you in before 12 with an extra charge for breakfast, since the all inclusive package you pre-paid starts at lunch time. We apologize if your room occupancy took a little bit longer than usual due to cleaning procedures according to daily arrivals and departures, we don’t have any report of rooms keys given later than 3.30 pm. We can understand how frustrating waiting can be especially after an exhausting trip. We can assure you that this is not the typical experience our guests have when staying with us.
We are sorry for any inappropriate call or behavior by the Vacation Club staff as well as their persistence and pressure, your comment has been addressed to the head of area for its follow up. We strive to provide the best experience possible and are sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable vacation.
Is a shame we could not meet your expectations about our restaurants and bars services but in this high season we are visited by a large number of families and we offer several special sales, which sometimes causes the resort to be at its maximum capacity. Is regrettable you did not find our à la carte restaurants staff helpful enough to make your dinner special, your concerns have been addressed to the F&B manager and will be taken into consideration.
We apologize for the inconvenience you were through looking for bathrooms; we would like to mention that we have 3 restroom stations around the grand section pool, 2 more at the club section pool, one at each one of the restaurants, one at the lobby and one more at the tennis courts.
We hope you will give our hotel another chance to host you and prove to you how enjoyable a stay at our hotel can be.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Where do I even start....the crappy food, the nonexistent service, no wifi in the rooms, the billion kids (mostly under 7years old) running and swimming everywhere (including in the "Adults Pool").....the beach was a very nice setting, the rooms were fairly clean, and the bartenders were decent. But the overall experience was miserable and we will not visit or vacation at Marival Properties again. If you are American or Canadian, I would bet you will be disappointed, just as my family and I were.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Griz59
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear traveler,
Thank you for staying with us. We are deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.
It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the food and service you received. We regret the quality of food did not meet your expectations, even more when this concept has always been one of the most praised by our guests. Our F&B manager will be gladly following up to your concerns and we will be sure to take them under consideration as we continue to improve the hotel experience for our guests.
Is a shame we could not meet your expectations about our services but in this high season we are visited by a large number of families and we offer several special sales, which sometimes causes the resort to be at its maximum capacity. We apologize for the inconveniences this may have caused to you.
Marival Resort & Suites would like to thank you for your thoughtful review and we truly hope we can welcome you back in the future and have the chance to show you how much we care for our repeat guests. Please do not hesitate to contact us by sending an email to gsmanager@marival.com.mx for any further assistance you may need for your next stay.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed at the Marival from December 25 - 30 and had a great family vacation. The resort was well maintained and the staff were great. We picked an all-inclusive for the convenience. we have tried a couple of other all inclusives in the past and have been very disappointed with the food. We were pleasantly surprised at the Marival, and really had some very good meals. We especially enjoyed the Fiesta Night and just wished they served more local dishes instead of the daily european/american offerings. Can't say enough about the staff (other than sales) and their hospitality. The location is good in the sense that the beach is great with gentle surf for the kids and Vallarta Adventures (great, 6 stars) is nearby. However, it is about 35 minutes from downtown Puerto Vallarta and 20 minutes from the airport.

The only reason, we did not give it 4 stars was due to the sales staff. As part of the check in you are given the pressure sale. And no matter how many times you politely decline, the sales staff continue to pester you about attending a 1.5 hour sale session throughout your visit. We found it best to avoid the lobbies altogether as this is where they wait for you. Not what you want to deal with on your vacation. Unfortunate.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms over looking the shuffle board courts are much quieter than the pool or ocean view...
3  Thank NR51971

Dear Traveler
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel with other travelers. We appreciate the fact that you noticed the friendliness of our team and the quality of the food. We also appreciate your feedback and business.
We are sorry for any inappropriate comment or behavior by the Vacation Club staff as well as their persistence and pressure, your comment has been addressed to the head of area for its follow up. We strive to provide the best experience possible and we regret you did not have a perfect stay.
We look so much forward to seeing you in the near future and please contact us on gsmanager@marival.com.mx for any assistance prior to your arrival.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We are very experienced " all inclusive travelers " with going to the Mayan side of Mexico too many times to count. This was our first time on the west coast and we had a great time!..I read all the reviews on this resort before hand and I would like to address some of the negative comments I read; First off, you are in Mexico..if you don't like to vacation with Mexican Families, don't go! Not only were the Mexican guests a lot of fun, but their children Wes exceptionally well behaved. As far as the locals getting better service, Nonsense! I wonder if those people who wrote that in their reviews ever heard of tipping? I found that the locals didn't tip at all, but we did, and were treated EXCEPTIONALLY well because of it. The ala Cartes food was excellent!.The buffet was a bit too busy to care if it was good or not, but hey, it's a buffet. We were not bothered Once by time share reps and the beach vendors were very polite. maybe because we weren't rude to them??..the room for a standard was very large and comfortable. The only complaint I have was the young girl taking dinner reservations. She was not helpful in telling us we needed reservations for fiesta night or that Christmas dinner also needed reservations. She was more concerned with playing on her phone. with that said however, the matron d at the pergola was more than helpful fitting us in at last minute. I really enjoyed my stay and will be back next year..it's a great resort, but my advice would be not to compare the resorts on this side of Mexico with those of the Mayan, it is different...enjoy your stay..

Stayed: December 2013
7  Thank Erin C
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear Traveler
Thank you for writing a review about our resort on this web site. We value guests' comments, and appreciate when they are shared on line, since we believe this way they also benefit other travelers. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Really liked the "reservation restaurants" the food there is excellent with good service (minus the surf = 1 shrimp! & turf 2 tough beef pieces at la pergola). I was then shocked to find out from "Ted" the front desk man that we only get those reservations and we can now eat at the buffet which our all inclusive package includes. TexMex buffet was horrible, I had better taco meat in grade school, no real cheddar cheese. The Mediteranean buffet was not better, I saw nothing Mediteranean about it! Truly gross, should have taken photos for you all. The suite is nice and large with a partial ocean view that was reserved. A towel staff person was not friendly. "Zeida" is the lady who "greets" you and gives you the wristbands, she is extremely unfriendly, does not smile and lies. The ATM/cash station has been broken for 4 days, the staff refuse to help many, many times. The beach vendors annoy you more than other places. The reservationist for the "reservation restaurants" takes forever so give yourself an hour (if you don't have to wait in line) or so and grab a chair like I did. She is either not understanding her job or does not care to understand it. She never smiles nor does she inquire if there's anything else she can do for you. I was dying of thirst and no one said - you can grab a free drink at the bar behind you! Even the "entertainment scheduler" at one point pretended to go get a manager for me (I was waiting in line behind 2 other people so I had been there several hours). We will not come back to a Marival resort simply becuase of the very, very poor dinner buffets and their rude refusals to let you go to "reservation restaurants". All inclusive means all inclusive to us and something - apparently - extremely different to this resort. I read the website and all the fine print in our reservations. If I had read anything about this limitation, I would not have stayed here. You have to pay extra for horrible WiFi. No concierge when we arrived for 30 minutes which lengthened our check-in time. No coffee other than the coffee from the 1980's you have to "take a taxi or a 15 minute walk" and the staff don't care nor do they seem to think people drink real coffee. No hot water, even though the maintance guy came (we believe he turned on the hot water for his visit to our room, then turned it off right after he left).

Room Tip: Sounds like the 1 bedroom suites are the best.
1  Thank JMPTMP
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We enjoyed our visit, we got a friendly greeting on arrival. We were in a 1 bedroom suite, we did have some issues that were fixed the next day. Lorena was our house keeper, she wowed us with her towel art, we enjoyed her work. The staff at the Marival is very friendly, we enjoy coming back. The A la carte restaurants are good, we enjoyed Amalfi, the Italian had very nice choices of entrees, the servers are great here, the suggest meals or desserts. The Pergola (Mediterranean restaurant) is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, good salad bar. The Mexican restaurant was disappointing. The buffet was closed for our last days at the resort, great time to do the work with 40% full, but they failed to let the guest know what was going on? It took a little while but everyone got to eat. LOL
The Beach is very clean, Sunny and 30 degrees every day with good friends, good food and cold drinks, what else could you ask for!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pjlanglois1
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Traveler
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on this web site. We are very pleased to know that your expectations were met and that you enjoyed our restaurants, the beach, the weather and the service from our staff. We look forward to greeting you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#38 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Reso...
#1 of 2 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
#9 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta
Marival Residences Luxury Resort
Marival Residences Luxury Resort
#4 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Marival Resort & Suites? Share your experiences!