“Loved the Grand & Club Marival!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marival Resort & Suites

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Marival Resort & Suites
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved the Grand & Club Marival!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Grand & Club Marival (Club side) from January 31-Feb. 14, 2004. After reading a lot of reviews of this resort I was kind of nervous. I must say though that I don't rely fully on others reviews as I have learned from years of traveling that each person has their own idea of what's nice and what's not.My advise to all you out there that are considering or are booked to stay at this resort, decide before you go that you'll have a good time regardless and if things are too bad you can always check with your tour rep and see if you can have your room changed or go to a different resort listed in your brochure.(Air Transat or Signature)My husband & I were going to switch to an ocean view room, but saw that the only room they had available for an even exchange was a lot smaller and older looking, so we decided to stay where we were at. We had a room in building 10, room 110A and it was quiet, on the 3rd floor with a king bed that was harder than ours at home, but it was really comfortable for sleeping. Our room had a sofa and cabinets where at one time there must have been a fridge and cooktop. The room was always clean and the maids did an excellent job. (I left them something every day. I always bring along nail polishes, hand creams, perfume, clothes I no longer want,candles, face cleansers, etc..) You have to leave a note for the maid each day though or she can't leave the complex with the stuff you leave her. Our maid left us a note one day in Spanish in regards to this. I could figure it out more or less what she wanted. If you can't just go to the tour representatives and they will be happy in translating or explaining it to you.We found all the staff to be very friendly including the animacion staff. Some reviews I read before hand said their favorite restaurant was the buffet. Well all I can say is wait till you get to the resort and form your own opinions. We thought the buffet was our least favorite and all teh rest were much better, but don't base your decision on mine please. My husband & I go to Mexico for the Mexican food and the buffet didn't have this kind of food. We frequented the snack bars for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We made reservations at the Mexican, Steakhouse and Mediterranean. Our favorite of thee was the Mediterranean. I had the Baked Alaskan and it was simply divine!!!! We also ate at "La Pergola" also an a la carte for dinner as well as open for breakfast and lunch with no reservations. They also had excellent food!!There were always a lot of activites going on, but since my husband prefers to lie on the beach where it's quieter we spent most of our time there. On the beach you have guys walking trying to get you to come to a certain 5* resort to listen to a 90 minute time share schpeal, to which you can say yes or no. Even the beach vendors I didn't find very aggressive compared to when we have stayed at the main hotel strip.Mu husband & I made friends with two of the guys who came by for the time shares. We took them up on 3 different resorts since we were there for two weeks. Someone said the sales people at the timeshare resorts were high pressure. Yes of course they are. We were told it costs the resort $500 to bring in a couple.($25 goes to the guy on the beach, free tours; ours came to about $150-160 US for two people, they serve you a free breakfast or lunch as well, the taxi rides there and back, and some commission to management or whoever is involved in trying to get you to buy timeshare) If you make up your mind you're not going to buy timeshare before you go there you can just stick to it all the way through. BAsically don't really listen to what they have to say and you'll be fine, like we were. We'd do this again no problem!!We never had a problem with anything getting stolen in our room, even though we didn't pay for the lock for the safe. We just kept our suitcases locked when we weren't in the room. If a person trusts the local people there you'll have a better time as well."Vallarta Adventures" comes Highly recommended!! We took the "Canopy Tour" and the "Sierra Madre Expedition tours and we thought WOW!! All the guides for the canopy tour were great and friendly and very encouraging. Highly recommend this tour!! The other tour also comes highly recommended if you have "Martin". He had so-oo very much information, I was sorry I hadn't had a small tape recorder to tape all his info. Amazing tour guide!!We found the bus rides into downtown Puerto Vallarta VERY enjoyable!! First you take a luxury bus to Walmart, get off this bus and look for a white and blue bus that says El Centro. The ride if longer is always filled with interesting sites outside and people on the bus with you. It's a GREAT cultural experience!! The cost wasn't that high to go downtown. We went there around 3-4 times. Being on a resort the whole vacation is not our idea of fun. It may be for some of you I don't know.The beach was simply awesome!! You could walk for litterally miles. One day we walked about 10 miles and it was great!! The beaches are also very wide. From what we saw for beaches at the Marina and heard what they were like on the main hotel strip our beach was far superior! The sand was really easy to walk on barefoot.Don't go on this vacation all uptight. Just go with the flow once you get to your resort and relax and life will be so much more enjoyable!!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2004

READ THIS REVIEW! There are some things you need to know if you are staying at the Grand and Club Marival. First of all, the weather is hot and chilly. Down right chilly in the morning, and really chilly in the evenings. Take sweaters and sweatshirts with you. We did not take outer wear like that and we froze a lot of the time. The resort itself is okay. The maid service was adequate, and the room was fine. We had an ocean view and the first morning we were there, we went out on our balcony and lo and behold, there was a whale in the ocean, and we could see it! That was so exciting for us. The resort was full of Americans, which was a pleasant surprise for us. The food, which is so plentiful, was excellent. You need to get reservations for the restaurants when you first get there, (try most of them) and we felt they were quite good. We liked the Italian and the Mexican restaurants the best. You will find the desserts there are superb. If you're there on a Sunday, please go into Puerto Vallarta for the boardwalk festival. It is surely worth it. A taxi from the hotel to the boardwalk costs $13.00. We had such a ball. We ate dinner at Los Palomas, or something like that, in Puerto Vallarta, and it was excellent. On the boardwalk there was some kind of robot man, who was absolutely unique. Back to the hotel, it lacked a festive atmosphere. It was kind of dull, and the drinks were definitely "weak". Don't ever plan on getting drunk there cause it ain't gonna happen. If you want some real booze, go to Paradise Village, (you can walk--its about a mile) and buy it at the grocery store. Service is "iffy" at the resort restaurants. Some restaurants were good, others weren't so good. Good luck, it will be an okay experience. Oh, P.S., watch out for some mean waves in the surf. My husband, on the last day of our trip, was boogie boarding and was hit by a huge wave (that sucker was 12 feet or about) and he really got hurt. We just returned from his CAT scan and x-ray; we're not sure what all is wrong with him. Honest to God, this is the truth. Don't let your little kids out in the water alone. We're waiting for our results...My husband now walks not unlike the robot we saw on the boardwalk.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2004

I have vacationed at this resort twice and would return again. This resort is fairly large with several pools to choose from. It is very family oriented but there are lots of young people that visit this resort as well. The rooms are very clean as well as the grounds and the beach is beautiful. The food is alright, they have a different theme every night. You also have a variety of places to eat each of your meals, breakfast at either the buffet or one of the a la carte restaurants (no res. req. for breakfast), lunch at the buffet, snack bar or again the same a la carte restaurant and dinner at either the buffet or one of the three a la carte restaurants (res. req'd for dinner). The only downfall I found at this resort was the shortage of lounge chairs. You had to wake up at the crack of dawn to reserve a chair with your towel (everyone ignores the signs) or you were out of luck. Other than that this was a great place to stay while in Puerta Vallarta. Make sure to visit the downtown area and shop or just walk around, it is beautiful and you won't find nicer people than the Mexicans. Just beware of the guys trying to sell time share, just ignore them or they won't stop bothering you.

• Stayed February 2001
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2004

We stayed at the Grand & Club Marival Feb 18-Feb 24. Overall it was a very pleasant experience. The weather was PERFECT!! We spent alot of time on the beach and never was too hot. It is difficult finding a lounge chair unless you go out on the beach at about 6:00am and "reserve" one. We were always able to find chairs, though, after a little bit of a search. There were a large amount of children, but did not think that they were overly noisy or a problem. The food was ok. We had no problems making reservations, never had to wait in line, but if you don't have a reserveration...forget about eating there!! The drinks were ok, but you had to request name brand alcohol. Our room was beautiful with a wonderful view of the bay and every night a gorgeous sunset. The staff was ok, but thought they could be friendlier. Did I mention the weather was PERFECT?

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2004

We just returned from a great time at this hotel. We read the negative reviews and were quite worried that they would be true. Well, the truth is that some of the negatives did happen to us, but perhaps we didn't expect as much as others do. For instance, we did see 3 cockroaches in our room but they were very small and my boyfriend just picked them up with a tissue and got rid of them. I've seen many more in hotels in the southern US. The beds were hard (as many of the reviews say), but we did so much in the day that when we finally did go to bed, they were felt soft and we slept well. The food was plentiful and really good.
They had a pizza bar, had great breakfasts with an omelette bar, and had buffets open from noon to midnight. An annoying thing was that people liked to stick towels on chairs in the early morning and then not sit in them till noon. We just took off the towels and moved them far away. It wasn't really the hotels fault...it was mostly the people who stayed there. In fact, most of our complaints were with the people who were there. In all my travels, I have never seen more rudeness from people; complaining, hoarding, and just plain selfishness. Be prepared to be cut in line and then yelled at for saying something. We almost got into a fist fight during check in when a group of people did this to us. RUDE! I am embarrassed to be from the US after this trip. Well, basically: 1. make your dinner reservations online or right when you check in.
2. bring a travel clock 3. bring lots of dollar bills (they work wonders for making weak drinks very strong) 4. go to the shows (they were great) 5. drink the water in the hotel (didn't get sick and I am very prone) 6. don't expect the world 7. treat everyone how you want to be treated.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2004

I just read the review below this. The writer and we have one thing in common and that is that we were there at the same time. We have been to many all inclusive resorts and we rate the Marival right with the best of them. Our only complaint was the long wait to check in. The beach was wonderful. Long, clean and very accessible. People were having a wonderful time in the water and the pools. The food was above average for an all inclusive. The drinks were OK once we found one that we preferred. The rooms were very adequate, tastefully decorated, bright and cheery and very clean. The grounds were gorgeous with the area being huge with many places to relax whether eating, drinking, or swimming. Pools are great. We never saw anyone acting overly drunk.
Cigarette smoke was not a problem especially since most places are open air. The children were darling infact my husband shared the peanut butter with a little tyke. Not once did any of them bother us. All in all I would recommend this resort. It has everything you can want for an all inclusive resort. There were 63 people in our group and over all everyone was very pleased. Maybe a smaller resort would have been better for the writer below.

• Stayed February 2004
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Norwalk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2004

We stayed at the Marial grand section from Feb. 15 to Feb 22. I can say we had one of our best warm weather vacations. The food, the room,the facilities were all excellent. The hotel is extremely clean and the staff were very attentive in making sure everything was satisfactory.
People were particpating in the activities ,such as volleyball and tennis. For tennis players the 2 pros were great for all levels. We all played every day. We went on 2 tours-ATV and Rythms of the night--both highly reccomended. The only thing which I didnt care for was the nightly shows. This is an excellent hotel and an excellent price.

1 Thank Dentist
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,627 reviews

Been to Marival Resort & Suites? Share your experiences!