“Our 15th Visit.”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Winnipeg, Canada
“Our 15th Visit.”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We just returned from our 15th visit of Grand Marival Resort and Suites. Once again our trip was fantastic. The staff is marvelous, they keep improving every year, and the multiple pools are great. The food is always excellent whatever time you make the buffet and the a la carte restaurants are exceptional. It seems this property is popular even when the other resorts are half empty. We'll be back and will continue to recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side get more sun and are nicer.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anna V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Stayed at Marival from Dec 29 to Jan 12. My parents (mid 50’s) and 3 of us in our mid-twenties)
I have visited several resorts across the Caribbean, but this was my first visit to Mexico.

Staff: The entire staff at Marival are incredible. Very friendly and helpful and go above and beyond to make your vacation memorable. The animation team is without a doubt one of the best I have come across at an all inclusive. They work so hard to keep all the guests happy and busy. David, Carlos, Robbie, Marco, Panda, and everybody else…you guys are awesome. You are all great at what you do, and made our stay that much better!

Grounds: The grounds are beautiful and kept clean. The resort was very full and busy while we were there. The “loud” pool was a lot of fun with all the activities, but with so many kids around and hovering the swim up bar, it was nice to have the option to go over to the quiet pool and relax. We’d usually spend our mornings at the adult’s pool, and once we were ready to have a few Electric Lemonades, off to the loud pool we went to join the fun.

Beach: The beach was beautiful. Not your white sand/blue water, but it was clean and seemed like you could walk forever into the water before it was deeper than your knees.

Drinks/Bars: Drinks were decent. The pool and snack bars use low end vodka, rum etc. for drinks, But if you simply ask politely for Top Shelf liquor, they were happy to give it to you.
We found the red wine undrinkable but the white wine was decent if really cold.
The Swim-up bars were often crowded with children, which was frustrating sometimes, but that’s not the bartenders fault. They would recognize us and always serve us as quick as they could.
The M&M Bar was a nice place to sit before/after dinner to watch the sunset and enjoy a martini or a paralyzer.

Food: We were very impressed by the food at Marival. Booking with Nolitours, we took advantage of the unlimited amount of a la cart reservations. They were exceptional. The food and service at the Italian Restaurant we received was something I would expect at a 5 star restaurant back home.
The Mexican restaurant was also a lot of fun (flaming coffee, guacamole made at your table, table side tequila poppers) and the food was delicious. Thanks Ricky for always taking care of us!!
The stone-fire cooked pizzas at the snack bar were delicious. Always fresh, and they take requests.
The buffet was average, but good.

Rooms: The rooms were average. Like many other posts, it would have been nice to have the fridge stocked with beer. The first few days we had a room on the 2nd floor, balcony facing the main pool and a nice view of the ocean. On day 4 we moved down to the ground level, and our patio opened right into the courtyard of the main pool area which we found convenient but obviously not ocean view.

Entertainment: We didn’t go to every show, but the ones we did attend were great. I love when the animation team are the evening performers. It just shows how talented they are and how hard/long they work to please the guests. After the main show they usually had something else going on in the second lobby (karaoke, dancing) which was nice to relax and have a few drinks before heading to the disco to dance the night away.

NYE: Marival transformed the pool area into an Exceptional New Years Eve Black and White Event. They literally spent 24 hours setting up/tearing down. A HUGE buffet of delicious food, ice sculptures, entertainment and fireworks. It was the perfect way to ring in 2013

Nolitours: We are very happy we booked with Nolitours. The added perks (weekly happy hours, free internet, bottle of champagne in the room, unlimited a la carts, and the trips to sky bar) just added a little something special to our vacation.
We didn’t discover they had Caesars until our first Nolizone Happy Hour. They didn’t taste exactly like they do in Canada, but they did the trick and were definitely a treat! My friend who joined us on week 2 actually brought down several bottles of “Caesar rimmer” and we gave them to our Nolitour Reps and a few of the bars. For the rest of our trip they made our Caesars with the proper rimmer!!
Vincent, Fernando, Panda, you are a sure example of people who love their job. You guys were great, and I’m sure we’ll be seeing you again! Thanks again for everything

CONS: The only complaint I have about this resort, and its noted time and time again among these reviews, is the timeshare pitch when you first arrive at the hotel before you receive the key to your room.
I wish we had known about this prior to arriving, as we would have simply said “no thanks.” But they make it seem like they are there to tell you about the hotel, and half an hour into their “speech” they ask for a credit card number. Ridiculous. Luckily we caught on and told them we have been traveling for over 12 hours, we needed a beer and we needed it right now! It wasn’t the best first impression of the resort, but was quickly forgotten.

All in all we had a fantastic 2 week vacation. There is always room for improvement at any resort, but your vacation is what you make of it. I would absolutely return to this resort, and I would recommend it to anyone!

Cheers Marival, until next time!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Corie A
Vancouver island
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed Feb 13th to 20th. We booked this hotel as a last minute vacation for our family of 5. After booking the vacation I had time to read reviews. I was a little concerned after reading bad reviews but I decided to keep an open mind. Traveling with our three teenage sons we needed two rooms. I had read about the musty rooms online and this was a big concern of mine. I was happy when we first went to our son's room and it didn't smell. The room was dated as many had said but it was clean and didn't smell. Then we went to our room.. 1424 As soon as we opened the door we were hit with the disappointing musty smell I had read about. We had also requested a room with a king bed and this room had a two double beds. I immediately went back to the front desk to ask to be moved. I was told that the hotel was full and they did not have a room for me to move to. I was told they could get me a new room on Saturday (this was Thursday) and that they would send someone to clean the room and change the sheets. Well, 3 hours and two trips back to the front desk and we got the room cleaned. Basically they just sprayed a whole s#!t load of Febreeze around. That helped for the day. We just sucked it up and looked forward to Saturday. Saturday came and we were moved into a 3rd floor ocean view room with a King bed. No smell and much better.
As for the rest of the resort the staff was VERY friendly and I have no issue with the staff. I was also prepaired to fend off the time share sharks I had read about but gladly I was not asked about time share the entire week. Maybe I looked pissed off.. lol

The food was "meh" I have stayed at several All inclusive resorts (on the Caribbean side of Mexico) and always had decent food. This wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. The food in the A la cartes was a tad better.

In the past I have enjoyed the fresh juice bar in other all inclusive resorts and they do try here if you like watermelon, honey dew or cactus juice. All the other juices tasted like "tang", basically sugar water. This was very disappointing. I like fresh juice for breakfast.
This also goes for the bars. The mixed drinks ie Margareta etc etc were far too sweet.

So that's my rant on the bad.

The beach was very good you could walk for hours in the soft sand. My kids enjoyed boogie boarding every day and the organized sports they had in the pool. We really enjoyed the Mexian fiesta night on Tuesday night. This was the highlight of my dining at the Maraval.

All in all we had a good time at the Marival ( mostly because we were on holidays and not at home). Would I go back to Marival. No. Would I recomend someone go there no I would not. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Cross your fingers.
4 Thank jamaf
ohio
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Upon arrival we were disappointed. There is none of the luxury or celebratory feeling of resorts in Riviera Maya or Punta Cana, Puerto Plata, etc. The room is standard motel quality. There is nothing attractive about the architecture of the building.

However, after a few days, we felt quite comfortable. The staff is pleasant and helpful. The resort is clean and quiet. The mood is subdued and the clientele generally older or families with small children. The food is satisfactory, gym is clean and well-equipped. The palapas ARE already taken by 8:00. I don't know how early you would have to go down to reserve a beach spot. And, yes, there are plenty of smokers.

The major problem is not the hotel but the Bahia de Banderas. The water is brown and has a sewage odor at times. I investigated on the internet and discovered that indeed the level of bacteria is above the safe standard. This is from the Mexican Government Semarnat report. It was recommended not to swim there. This is was a terrible disappointment as we went intentionally to bodysurf and enjoy the waves.

Unless Mexico does something to clean up its beaches, we will not be traveling there anymore.

1 Thank sulaOhio
Saskatoon
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My family stayed here from Feb 17-21. My first impression was that the resort was very small and the staff were not friendly or helpful. No explanation was provided about the grounds or services. The time share people sit right outside the Gold Desk so there's no avoiding them. I was approached multiple times with multiple offers to attend the presentation. I finally relented when they offered the kids free zipline tickets. The presentation was provided by 2 people who were very patronizing and offensive - this presentation lasted 3 hours, well beyond the 90 min promise. And even after I left, a third salesperson approached me and tried to convince me to take a final offer. The room was no better than a motel six. After a couple nights, I asked to be moved because of the noise. Due to early cleaning, grass mowing and drunken people yelling at the bartender to give more drinks (at the pizza place) - I could not take anymore. We were moved to a one bedroom suite which described as quiet. Again, nothing special about this room. No real desk space for doing any work or writing. And though it was less noisy, it was still noisy. People pushing steel carts on the walk outside the window - presumably, cleaners and the weed whacker is what's been waking me up every morning between 6am-7:15am. This trip was nothing but an exhausting disappointment. The food was not very good and after day 2, I had to leave the resort for local restaurants. There are smokers everywhere, in the pool, at the buffet, on the beach - everywhere - and they have no problem blowing that poison in your direction. By the end of the trip - which I cut short by 2 days - I was beyond ready to leave. Upon going to the Gold Desk to talk to a representative about room service charges on my bill, no one was at the counter. Eventually, a young lady appeared out of the corner storage room and assisted. Moments later, a young man appeared out of the very same room and walked out of the Gold Desk area. Very inappropriate behavior, in my view. I will never return to this resort or the Puerto Vallarta area ever again. As for the awesome reviews I have read here, I have no idea which place they are talking about - maybe the Residences? Which are premium rooms shown to you when you do the time share thing.

Room Tip: Any room near the pizza place will be very noisy late into the night because that's where the dr...
1 Thank Flying A
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Resort & Suites, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
We regret that we could not fulfill your expectations about your stay with us. Kindly accept our apologies for having not found our staff friendly or helpful, however our hotel has been distinguished for years for its friendly and courteous staff but as we never underestimate any comment like yours we are going to check this observation with all of them.
About our Sales staff and Gold desk staff, we are sorry for any inappropriate behavior from them. Please be assured our Vacation Club Manager is reviewing and working on how our staff is approaching and treating our guests.
We thank you so much for your remarks about the noise level in the mornings; we are going to check how our staff is working from 6:00 am to 8:00 am to avoid this kind of inconvenience. It would have been very helpful if you had told us of your discomfort during your stay. We always have a Manager on Duty available.
We hope you give us one day the pleasure to serve you once again. Please contact us at gsmanager@marival.com.mx before you plan your visit to be able for us to make sure your stay will be pleasant.
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at the Marival for a week Jan 7-14. We had a blast and would definitely go back! The food was great, the rooms were nice and clean, the location and beach was great and above all the staff was amazing! They want you to have the best vacation and do their jobs well! Panda........ you the man!!!!!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Steph E
Swift Current, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband & I just returned from a one week stay at the Grand Marival Feb. 10-17th. This is a very nice resort. We had been to the Mayan Riviera side last year and stayed in a huge resort and I have to say i preferred that this resort was smaller.

The beach was awesome, great waves for boogy boards, nice sand and you could walk for miles up and down the beach (which I love). I didn't spend much time around the pool but the entertainment staff seemed to really love their jobs and did a good job of enteraining. Down side is having to get up early to get beach chairs saved. But that seems to be the case at most resorts I've been to do. I'm an early riser as were the couple we travelled with so it wasn't that big a deal, just an inconvenience more than anything.

The drinks were decent and there was never much of a wait. The snack bar by the beach/pools were o.k.. Your typical snack bar food. I usually went to the buffet for lunch so I could have salad and bit more choice of healthier type food. While it wasn't amazing it was always decent. I did find the breakfasts at the buffet really good. I'm not a huge waffle fan but the waffles at the buffet were awesome. I had them every morning. We didn't eat any suppers at the buffet so I can't speak for that. We did eat at all the A la Cartes and they were delicious. Did not have a bad meal at them and the staff were awesome. Some A La Cartes we did twice. I honestly have no complaints about the food and I am all about food and eating. That is half the holiday. :)

The rooms were decent, although there seems to be a shortage of rooms with King beds. We were in a room with 2 double beds, so my husband and I slept in seperate beds as they were pretty small (we aren't overly big people). We didn't complain or ask to change as we had booked last minute. As well we arrived at 6:30 am and were just thankful they had a room for us as many on our flight had to wait until mid afternoon for a room. We were also on the back side facing a condo complex, but for the amount of time we spent in our room I really didn't care. The upside was it was very quiet.

I did have to call to track down coffee for the in room coffee maker. As well the blow dryer didn't work in our room but I made a call to the front desk and they delivered a new one very quickly. I do wish they had irons and an ironing board in the rooms. We had to wear some wrinkly cloths.

The only down side to this resort was the hassle of the time share sharks. As I said we arrived at 6:30 am having flown all night, we were exhausted and the time share people suckered us into coughing up $20 deposit to go to a time share the next morning. Once we had gotten a couple hours sleep, my husband and I were a bit ticked that we had been suckered (again we were exhausted and not in our right frame of mind) as we had no intention of attending a time share. Anyway we read the fine print and found out they wanted a credit card the next morning in order to attend and receive the free $'s for excursions. We called them and informed them we had no credit card and they refunded us our $20. Have to say I was annoyed by the time share people, they come across as being connected to tour group we were with. That is really my only complaint about this resort was I did find them annoying.

All in all a great resort. Clean, good food and super nice staff. I would go back and will recommend it to friends and family.:)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DocsNIfty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#41 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
#3 of 12 in Punta de Mita
Hotel Riu Vallarta
Hotel Riu Vallarta
#17 of 28 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Marival Resort & Suites? Share your experiences!