“Perfect vacation spot!”

Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Perfect vacation spot!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed at the Marival for a week Jan 7-14. We had a blast and would definitely go back! The food was great, the rooms were nice and clean, the location and beach was great and above all the staff was amazing! They want you to have the best vacation and do their jobs well! Panda........ you the man!!!!!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Steph E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
Swift Current, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband & I just returned from a one week stay at the Grand Marival Feb. 10-17th. This is a very nice resort. We had been to the Mayan Riviera side last year and stayed in a huge resort and I have to say i preferred that this resort was smaller.

The beach was awesome, great waves for boogy boards, nice sand and you could walk for miles up and down the beach (which I love). I didn't spend much time around the pool but the entertainment staff seemed to really love their jobs and did a good job of enteraining. Down side is having to get up early to get beach chairs saved. But that seems to be the case at most resorts I've been to do. I'm an early riser as were the couple we travelled with so it wasn't that big a deal, just an inconvenience more than anything.

The drinks were decent and there was never much of a wait. The snack bar by the beach/pools were o.k.. Your typical snack bar food. I usually went to the buffet for lunch so I could have salad and bit more choice of healthier type food. While it wasn't amazing it was always decent. I did find the breakfasts at the buffet really good. I'm not a huge waffle fan but the waffles at the buffet were awesome. I had them every morning. We didn't eat any suppers at the buffet so I can't speak for that. We did eat at all the A la Cartes and they were delicious. Did not have a bad meal at them and the staff were awesome. Some A La Cartes we did twice. I honestly have no complaints about the food and I am all about food and eating. That is half the holiday. :)

The rooms were decent, although there seems to be a shortage of rooms with King beds. We were in a room with 2 double beds, so my husband and I slept in seperate beds as they were pretty small (we aren't overly big people). We didn't complain or ask to change as we had booked last minute. As well we arrived at 6:30 am and were just thankful they had a room for us as many on our flight had to wait until mid afternoon for a room. We were also on the back side facing a condo complex, but for the amount of time we spent in our room I really didn't care. The upside was it was very quiet.

I did have to call to track down coffee for the in room coffee maker. As well the blow dryer didn't work in our room but I made a call to the front desk and they delivered a new one very quickly. I do wish they had irons and an ironing board in the rooms. We had to wear some wrinkly cloths.

The only down side to this resort was the hassle of the time share sharks. As I said we arrived at 6:30 am having flown all night, we were exhausted and the time share people suckered us into coughing up $20 deposit to go to a time share the next morning. Once we had gotten a couple hours sleep, my husband and I were a bit ticked that we had been suckered (again we were exhausted and not in our right frame of mind) as we had no intention of attending a time share. Anyway we read the fine print and found out they wanted a credit card the next morning in order to attend and receive the free $'s for excursions. We called them and informed them we had no credit card and they refunded us our $20. Have to say I was annoyed by the time share people, they come across as being connected to tour group we were with. That is really my only complaint about this resort was I did find them annoying.

All in all a great resort. Clean, good food and super nice staff. I would go back and will recommend it to friends and family.:)

2 Thank DocsNIfty
Laval, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Marival was a great experience! The staff is absolutely wonderful and really friendly. The animation staff keeps us entertained thru out the day, and puts on great shows every night. Every Tuesday the hotel puts on a Mexican fiesta, with a piñata for the little ones, and mariachi music all live for our enjoyment. The food could not be better. Multiple restaurants to choose from.

Hotel is clean, safe and will be returning next year.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank ErykTheTraveller
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We have visited Marival several times over the years and this is a wonderful resort. The people are absolutely the best and all of them go out of their way to make the guests happy! The food in all of the restaurants is very good. Our favorite restaurant is the Italian and we try to eat there a couple of times each time we stay. The rooms have small refrigerators which are stocked with water. They don't automatically stock beer because they don't want kids getting into it. They will bring beer if you ask for it. The rooms are always clean, we had a 2 bedroom suite last time and they spent hours each day cleaning the room! The beach is amazing and boogie boards and kayaks are available for no charge. The shows in the evening are a lot of fun as well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bob R
Lake Country, British Columbia Canada
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I would like to address the prior review from Earl who states the traveller has to go thru the time share sharks to get the bracelet and key.to the room.. THIS IS NOT CORRECT... we travelled from Feb 6 to 13 to this resort . first time at this one.. I had previously read the trip advisor comments with respect to the time sharks... we went up to the front desk.. Ernesto handled our reservation.. I simply told him we were not interested in the time share or any kind of presentation and want our bracelets and key to the room thru him.. he asked his boss who said this was fine.. he put our bracelets on and provided us with the map of the place and key to the room and off we went.. so this can all be avoided by just asking...

We have travelled extensively thruout Mexico and been to many resorts... this resort is on the top of my lists to return... the resort was very clean.. our room was oceanview .. room 1719 .. we loved it... it was clean.. all we had to do is ask the maid for pepsi and water and it was provided daily ... and we tipped the maid every day.. she made nice animal things from towels and she went that extra mile because of the tips.. was very nice... the bed was a bit hard .. asked for topper and it was provided and it was all good..

The food in the buffet and all the other restaurants would be rated by me at 4-5.. excellent.. the white wine for dinner was lovely.. all the drinks were NOT watered down ... i had to tell the bartender to go easy on the gin or vodka as they just poured it from the bottle..
Food presentation at the ala carte restaurants were excellent together with the service... again all travellers should tip those waiters. as they are not paid much..

Rene at La Pergola was our favourite waiter.. however all of them were excellent... we had reservations for ala carte restaurants for all 7 nites we were there... I made the reservations on line prior to going there..

The pools were great.. one adult pool if u did not want to hear a lot of kids.. a separte kids pool.. lots of games by the pool for adults and children..

The evening entertainment at the theatre at 9 pm daily was excellent.. top notch shows. from dancing to singing.. to comedy... the people in charge of the entertainment should be highly commended of the great job of putting these shows together nitely...

The dancers and their costumes are top notch ... very highly recommended..
There is a professional photographer on site to take pictures of your family .. sunset.. or pool pics.. we had it done.. beautiful pics at a nominal cost./..

The beach was beautiful.. free boogey boards and kayaks... there was an issue with the loungers on the beach.. but this is the case at any popular resort... I find... we just went down at 6am to put our towels down.. we did not abuse this.. we had our breakfast and went to the beach.. if and when we left the beach we took our towel from the loungers for some one else to use it... i found there were a few loungers to be had around 2-3 pm daily... people came to the beach at 10 or 11 am expecting to get a lounger is ridiculous.. this is a popular resort with 90-% Canadians.. half the morning is gone... one can not expect to obtain a lounger late in the morning ..

We have no complaints of this resort... and will definitely be coming back... I would highly recommend this resort for adults or people travelling with children .. many activities for all ages...

You can contact me for anymore info on this beautiful resort...

Room Tip: ask for room ending in odd numbers in the tower.. facing the ocean..
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank catlady051
Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We traveled as a group of 4 from Feb 9 to 15th. The hotel it self was nice, the rooms a little musty but open the door and turn on the ac and that cleared it up a bit. The food was good at the buffets and the sit down breakfast, we didnt think much of our ala carte's we did the mexican and international. The pizza was excellent!
What we didnt like is that we were chased for the first 4 days by their inhouse vacation club reps. no is no geez then you have to sign a paper that your not interested give me a break. We also went to book some tours at the desk but its all inhouse through valarta adventures so we went to Bucarias and booked there for the booze cruise and dune buggys. way cheaper people!!
We didnt like that the bars dont open till 11 or that they dont put beer or pop in your fridge you have to buy that yourself so to me that sux for an all inclusive.
Also we arrived at 2 am and our flight out was at 2 am so they made us check out at noon and put our bags outside in a little lean to beside the hotel with no secuirty I thought that was a little on the not safe side of things. I did ask for a late check out and was told it would be 250 dollars ... others called and asked and were told up to 6 hrs it was 10 dollars an hr but after that it was 250 i guess since we didnt do the time share thing that was there way of getting even.

4 Thank roxettalynn
Brandon, South Dakota
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We just returned from a wonderful week at the Marival(Feb 1-8). It was our first trip but the couple we traveled with had been there twice. The food was great(try the beef medallions at La Pergola...I had them twice). The grounds were immaculate and well kept, the beach is excellent with room to walk a long ways in both directions. Although it is not the white sand like the Caribbean side, it is just as soft. You can walk out quite aways in the water before it gets deep. It's fun to watch the tides each day, at times it is up quite aways and the next day you have to walk out quite aways before you even hit the water. The pools were good, adult pool was quite a bit warmer than the others which was nice. Great service all around. Can' wait to get back. We were apprehensive about the Pacific side at first, but fell in love with the place the minute we landed. We love the Caribbean but when we do Mexico again it will definately be Puerto Vallarta.
I will make one complaint as no place is perfect, and it's a small beef. Every other place we have been you get a safe in your room as part of the deal. While there are safes at the Marival, they charge you a small fee, $2 a day, which isn't a big deal, but now you have to settle up when you check out. Just charge me a few more bucks a day on the room and give me the safe as a"perk". The other thing is when you rent the safe they give you a key and the core that fits in the safe. Ours was a pain in the butt to get out each day plus you have a key to keep track of. Digital safes are the only way to go, set your own code and no key to worry about. That was my only complaint and I sure didn't let it ruin our trip. Wonderful resort and we will be back!

2 Thank Joel K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#39 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta
#13 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta
#9 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta

Been to Marival Resort & Suites? Share your experiences!