“Perfect girls trip!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Kansas City
“Perfect girls trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2010

This resort was amazing! I second all of the other positive reviews! I could go on and on about how great our stay was, but I'm going to keep it in a nutshell. We had a 3 bedroom on the end so our view was incredible. The room was beyond words, so clean and beautiful. The housekeeping was almost too much (I will admit that they were a bit random as to when they might show up, but they were always so friendly and helpful) The grounds were immaculate. The staff was so friendly and accomodating. The concierge staff was great. The "shuttle" back and forth from the other resort was incredibly convenient. Etc, etc, etc... It was great!

Now, I think you all get how wonderful the resort is, which it is! But while I was doing my research about it I didn't find much other than forums about how awesome it is and very few pics. So, that being said, let me give you a "day at the Marival World Spa"... as well as pictures to help you get a good idea of what to expect.

When you arrive, expect to wonder how the heck they know where to take your bags and how they know so much about you when you have just gotten there. Trust me, they know their stuff. You'll abandon your bags with the staff while they check you in, get you a beverage and give you your oh so cool wrist band. I was whiscked to lunch with my friends while they got us settled. When we got to our room, our bags were there along with a bottle of wine!

The beds are hard, ask for a pillow top matress cover.

Breakfast is served either on your room or at the main restaraunt with lots of choices.

Lunch is also served at the main restaurant or the pool eatery. Great variety.

The portions are very small, which in my opinion is good because you can order pretty much a bit of everything and not stuff yourself. If you find something that you really like, just ask for more!

Dinner is served in the main restaurant, the roof top bar or the pool eatery. We went in the off season, so they jumped back and forth from what resaraunt was open for dinner. If they are serving only in the upper bar, plan for the infinity pool up there to be closed to swimmers so the eaters can dine in peace.

This is not a party place, it's perfect for the people who want to relax and enjoy. If you want to party, just head over to the sister resort and have a great time.

To get to the beach or siste resort, either take the golf cart (big with 3 rows of seats to accomodate anyone looking to shuttle to and fro) or take a simple walk down the street. I went to the beach for a run or walk every morning and walked there every time. Just go to the concierge, tell them that you want to go out the back gate, head to the back of the property past the tennis court and there will be a staff member there waiting to open the gate for you. Head left down the qaint little street past the residential vacation homes (they are the only thing between you and the beach) about a 100 yards to a bar called "etc" where there is public beach access, and you're there! The sister property is about 400 yards to your left! Not far at all.

We spent every day at the beach, where you'll have your own private VIP area that you get served your drinks and really any food that you ask for. The Pizza at the open buffet is great, and I would just ask for a couple of slices, which would be brought to my lounge chair! Or you can just head up to the buffet and enjoy a wide variety of food.

As for the lounge chairs. The beach slants, and so do the chairs. But there is a way to fix that, you just have to be inventive. Dig the upper feet of the chair into the sand (we would lift the lower part of the chair off the ground and shove the upper legs into the sand), pile to sand under the lower legs and put your flip flops as a base between the legs of the chair and the sand. That'll keep the legs from sinking into the sand. Trust me, it works and it makes for a much more comfortable sit.

You will be approached by locals wanting to sell you stuff. Support them, we are their livelyhood. They were never pushy! But if you say that you'll "get something tomorrow", they'll be back tomorrow, they don't forget, and I applaude them for that. If you don't want to buy, just tell them so.

The beach is so clean. They were literally combing the beach every morning with rakes and their own hands and feet to make sure the beach was clean, safe and free of trash.

The adult drinks are pretty weak, but if you ask for a double, you'll get it.

There is WiFi available if you need it, for a cost.

I didn't go to the spa, but my friends did and said it was wonderful!

You'll be treated so wonderfully and you will really enjoy your stay!

Have fun!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank freeatlast123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
Fontana, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2010

Sorry about the title, but that was my daughter's description, but I agree with her wholeheartedly. I just got home from a week at the Marival Residences with my wife, daughter, and her best-friend. The hotel, rooms, staff, service, and food was well above my expectations. Upon our arrival, I was expecting to be given the time-share sales pitch (like we had in Cancun, and at the airport upon landing), but it never came. They led us into a nice lounge area, gave us a drink and cold towel, and then took us directly to our room. Our room was on the 4th floor and the view was incredible. The room was clean and very big, with a large balcony overlooking the pool and a great view of the ocean. When we went down to eat lunch, we were the only ones in the restaurant, and maybe only one person at the pool. The hotel staff go above and beyond to make you feel comfortable. We had the all-inclusive package, and even though it says that tips were included, I couldn't help but tip them for their excellent service. The staff was really friendly and helpful, and if there was something they didn't have, they went out of their way to get it for you. Fernando (waiter at the Omaggio restaurant) was incredible and definitely made our stay memorable. I'd like to mention other staff members, but they were all fantastic, and I don't have enough room to name them all.

The all-inclusive plan includes several tours, so if you're looking to do something other than relaxing and enjoying the resort, you'll be more than satisfied. Even though the hotel is not on the beach, it is only a 3-4 minute golf cart ride to the sister resort, Grand Marival Resort, where you have full privileges and your own private V.I.P. beach area. I was a little disappointed with the Grand Marival Resort, but that's probably because there is so many more people there, and we were kinda spoiled at our hotel.

The food at the hotel was incredible, especially the Omaggio Restaurant. They have a Chile Scented Warm Chocolate Cake for dessert that was probably the best dessert I'd ever had.

My only complaints, and these are probably nit-picking, were I think they should play Mexican music at the pool (it is Mexico after all), they should serve authentic mexican-food at one of the restaurants (again Mexico), and the beds were a little hard. Other than that, I have nothing bad to say about the hotel, staff, or food, and hope to go back one day soon!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank BruinDep
Bolton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

We just returned from a week of fun, sun and relaxation at the Marival. this is our second time to this resort and sixth to PVR, concerned since it was a few years since we had been back so I have read all the reviews prior to leaving and having OCD, i was nervous, however, upon my arrival the staff at the front desk, the grand foyer, all the old great memories came back and I felt right at home. Yes upon arrival to the room, it does have a musty smell, that is because they do not keep the AC on if no one is occupying the room, however, shortly after turning it on, the smell goes away. The rooms are a little dated, but very, very clean, the entire resort is very clean, not one bug to be seen and I looked. The food was great, especially the Italian " Amalfi" restaurant and the mediteranian "La Pergola" restaurant, is recommended to attend at least once, we did them twice. The animation team were awesome, there shows keep you intrigued. The kids also enjoyed themselves and we are already discussing going back with our entire family next year. The only down fall to this holiday was, when going in to town, every person, wil stop you about time share, other than that, this hotel and location was awesome, highly recommend for all!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank CAAMPER10
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2010

Ill keep this short. My husand and I went with our good friends for 4 nights. We love our 5 star hotels. For example one of my favorite hotels is the Bellagio in Vegas. With that being said, this hotel exceeded my expections. The rooms are huge and really really nice. The food is like no other all inclusieve I have ever stayed at. The service was great. This is for sure a place to just go lay around and chillax. We left one day and did the zipline tour. That was fun too. Other than that we laid around, ate, ate and ate some more and drank a ton. You have to go to the spa at least on day. My husband and I went twice we enjoyed the first time so much. So much for keeping it short. We will for sure go back and bring a large group with us. You CAN NOT beat the price for what you get. One last thing, your not beach front and the water is not blue. That did not bother me. I felt like a VIP the whole time I was there.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank conniels123
Lawrence Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2010

Please realize that there is a HUGE difference between the "Residence" property and the "Resort" property so make sure you are reviewing the right one. The Residence property was just built in December 2009 and is an unbelievable property. Rooms, grounds, food, service...I just can't say enough wonderful things about all of them. I am a pretty difficult person to impress given my high standards and I will have to say I was beyond pleasantly surprised! We had to cancel our Playa Del Carmen vacation last minute due to bad weather and saw that the Pacific was having good weather so we changed our reservation very last minute (thanks to cancellation insurance). I did not have time to research this property so I was extremely nervous when driving to our resort. I worried for no reason! The resort was not busy at all and I will have to say that we realized that this is one of the big reasons we loved the resort. There are a lot of rooms but the resort itself is fairly small so I can see how I personally would not have liked it as much if it were a busier time. The staff said they were only booked 40% but I was surprised by that number because it seemed like we were there with maybe 5 other groups. The head chef came from the Four Season's and the food is phenomenal. The Tappa's style rooftop bar Inzu was by far our very favorite...the staff was great and we loved it so much that we ate there every night. We tried something different every night and the food was just unbelievable not to mention the wonderful views and sunsets over the Pacific! Lunch on the beach at the VIP beach club was wonderful and Miquel and Eduardo took excellent care of us the entire visit. You have private air conditioned bathrooms and showers which was a major plus to this area!
The only down side is that you do not have beach access from the Residences. It is a very quick golf cart ride down to the sister facility but is was a bit of a bummer to not be able to just walk on the beach at any given moment. Cesar was more than happy to run us back and forth but I would much prefer not having to go back and forth. One other downside is the other resort. I did not care for the Resort property at all. There is a drastic difference between the two properties...facility, food, clientele, service, and I think it is a downside to this property to mix the two. One other small negative is that our mattress on our bed was super hard. When we mentioned it to the front desk they immediately had someone come put a mattress topper on the bed which did help somewhat.
The Spa was wonderful and the workout facilities were nice. The rooms are HUGE and very, very nice..modern and new. Our view from the 5th floor, center of the resort room 516 was spectacular!
We will return for sure but we will make sure it is a down time at the resort as we do think that this was one of the reasons we liked this vacation so much. Keep in mind we are trying to get away from kids and a busy lifestyle so we were looking for calm and quiet.
My husband and I agreed that this resort would be absolute perfection if it had beach access right at the property and became an adult only resort! :)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Particular_Travelor
boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

When we booked our hotel for mexico, it was to originally stay at Marival Resorts (the sister resort to the Residences) so that we could get a BREAK from our two young kids and hectic life. We walk in the door and there are kids EVERYWHERE- toddlers, teenagers, you name it and they are just everywhere! They are also not so friendly to you and the place is older but kept up fairly well. Not 5 minutes after we checked in did we get hassled to go to an "hour and a half" time share presentation... well we went and during the presentation they take you over to the Residence property- which was so beautiful and relaxing that we decided to upgrade our trip! haha! BTW- we said NO THANK YOU to the time share (about 100 times before they let us go).

After paying for the upgrade, we are quickly brought over to the Marival Residences hotel and ushered into this nice lounge to check in while given a cool lavendar towel and drink of your choice (unlike the Marival Resort & Suites). The room was soooo gorgeous and our view was amazing, but more than that- the food and the service was to die for!

Service-
You barely move out of your chair or lounger and they come running over to you asking what you need or how they can help you! The whole staff will know you by name. here are a few people who went above and beyond:
-Eliasar: works mornings, so nice!
-Everardo- works nights, and if you see him at dinner, make sure you bring playing cards and tell him that Chase and Carolyn asked you to show off his "Crazy Card Game". good fun.
-both Fernandos. One will give you special deserts, the other likes to give special shots (it wont take you long to figure it which one is which)
-Reggie- he works public relations but is very nice

Beach:
-go to the beach! you just take a little golf cart over and you pretty much have the whole roped off section to yourself and you get drink and food service, and your own bathroom which is nice (and cleaner!).
-Miguel is the best! tell him hello for us. (chase and Carolyn)

Restaurants:
-Brunello: this is a wine bar and it is very loungy and very fun! you MUST get the truffle popcorn!
-Insu- this is the bar ontop of the hotel and it is very beautiful and the tapas are amazing! I liked the lamp chops, duck spring rolls, and crab wonton things, and the shrimp! the shrimp is always good no matter how they cook it
-Lemongrass- this is the one that is open for lunch and dinner everyother night. The menu here is not as great, but the calamari is good and the steak is good, i think the lobster pasta was our best meal here.
-Omagios- YYYUUUUMMMM! You must eat here as much as you can because everything is amazing! I had the truffle/lobster mac and cheese and the shrimp lemon risoto. the mac and cheese was good but the shrimp risoto was so good that my husband was sneaking as many bites off my plate as he could. :)

the best part of this place is that if you go in the off season, it is very empty. Just make sure you tip good because the staff work so hard and they deserve it.

KIDS-
also, we saw kids here, but it is more of an adult resort until it gets busier. kids are doable here- but if you are looking for a busy kids club than this is NOT the resort for you. I never saw one single kid in the kids club!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank bostonian24
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

There was a mixup @ the Marival Resort. They lost our reservations, however we were upgraded to the Marival Residences. How? I (the group leader) was pleasant, calm, and understood that the guy at the front desk didn't cause this, couldn't fix it but wanted to help. I stayed in the Marival Resort in January 2010, and it was good. You can read the reviews yourself. Every resort has good and bad. Remember you're on vacation.
...not so the Residences. It was all good, no bad. The reviews below are descriptive so I won't reiterate. The service was fantastic (from concierge on down), the quality of the food incredible (see where the executive chef came from), the free tours excessive (try the sunset cruise--out of a magazine). I travel extensively for work: This was the best all-inclusive I've ever stayed at globally, and in my top 10 hotels (which include the Palace in NY). Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,627 reviews

Been to Marival Residences Luxury Resort Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!