This is my 5th trip to Marival Residences and it pains me to give it 3 stars, but there were too many issues to ignore on my trip from March 7-14. I am a platinum owner and traveled with my daughter, son, daughter-in-law, and 2 year old grandson.
From the get-go, this trip was not as smooth. Email correspondence with member services was not as prompt as usual. Questions regarding transfers went unanswered. I finally resorted to Carlos, the chief concierge, who was very prompt and helpful in answering my questions. He is such an asset to the hotel!
Check-in was smooth with the usual request for us to attend the owners meeting. Because my husband was not present, I was not permitted to attend. Though this is a sales presentation, I was somewhat interested in hearing what is new.
On entering our residence 310, a two bedroom unit, we found the air conditioner leaking water all over the floor in the living room. Maintenance and housekeeping was called, quickly fixing the leak and changing the carpet, but the AC never worked well during the entire week. Shades on the living room windows would help tremendously as afternoon sun is intense and heats up the room. Other housekeeping issues: shower head in guest bath spit water, broken handle on faucet remained broken all week. Kitchen was minimally equipped, missing a bottle opener, dish soap, and dish towels. Requests for soap and towels were ignored, which made it a bit difficult to clean bottles for our 2 year old. Beds are still hard, so request a mattress topper.
My main disappointment centers around service, which is a painful area to discuss. Many of the servers have been at the resort since we began coming in 2011 and we really like them! Though occupancy seemed low at the resort, service was not as attentive as in the past. It was frustrating to have to ask for coffee, cream, juice, missing cutlery or other items several times before they (maybe, hopefully!) appeared. It seems that there was a team approach to service, with two or more waiters caring for each table. I found I was asking two people for the same thing and a lack of accountability as one server thought the other was taking care of things. Also, dining wasn't kid friendly. The requested high chair had to be requested many times with a long wait. Also, they have eliminated the buffet items at Ommagio, which were great to quickly feed a little one. Now they've gone with a children's menu, and food doesn't come out until the adults are served. One evening we waited so long for our coffee and dessert that we ended up leaving before signing our check! These issues were really frustrating.
Several times we resorted to room service for breakfast, but found that frustrating as well. Out of the three times that we ordered, twice we were missing our side orders of bacon and sausage. Haha...guess they were helping us watch our waistlines!
On the plus side, we enjoyed great food, drinks and weather and did have a nice relaxing vacation. We took advantage of the lobster special one day, and had our lobsters grilled and served for lunch with delicious rice and vegetables. The tapas at Insu were delicious and most meals at Omaggio were fantastic, with the exception of one meal. One night I ordered the catch of the day, which was supposed to be mahi mahi. The fish definitely wasn't mahi mahi, and tasted very strong with a strange texture and I had to send it back. By the time the waiter came back around, it was too late to reorder.
Something new this year is the Owners Beach Club at the sister resort. It is a lovely addition, with lounge chairs, tables, umbrellas, a bar and restaurant. The food and service there were wonderful. The VIP beach club, available to visitors at the Residences, was also enjoyable and provided ample shade. No problems getting sunbeds at either location. The menus at the two beach clubs are different, and it was nice to have some variety. Shuttle service to the beach clubs was great with minimal wait times. We enjoyed long walks on the beach, which is flat and goes on for miles. One night we ate at Niksan, the sushi restaurant, which was delicious with huge portions. Definitely worth the separate charge. While dining at Niksan, we took advantage of the complimentary nanny service, which was excellent. Our spa massage appointments were awesome, as usual, too.
My complaints are things that I would have brought to attention when filling out the customer comment card at the end of our visit. Unfortunately, I was not offered that opportunity. While checking out, I found several issues with my bill. As platinum members, we receive free room service and laundry service. These charges appeared on my bill and it took several tries for the young man at the desk to get it right. He didn't offer me a comment card, and my airport shuttle was waiting for me by the time we got things straightened out.
I have always loved my vacations at Marival Residences, but maybe it's time for a reality check by trying somewhere new. Hopefully they can work out these kinks!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Something Different, Something Better! Beyond rooms or suites… the only luxury all-inclusive resort featuring modern Residences and Villas- so spacious from 1400 to 3940 sq ft! TripAdvisor Awards in Best Luxury, Best Family and Excellence. Award winning chefs offer a la carte international gourmet dining. Guests enjoy free tours, unlimited golf, VIP full service beach club and 5 star service, plus exchange privileges at sister hotel Marival Resort and Suites. Experience Melange World Spa with unique treatment rooms from 9 countries around the world. Special Kids and Teens programs too. Spacious all-inclusive Residences for couples and families are in the perfect locations. Demi-Pool Residences feature a “walk out” full service garden patio and secluded infinity pool. Ocean View Residences surround you with breathtaking views of the Pacific from sunrise to sunset. Rooftop Penthouses have private rooftop plunge pool and sundeck. For couples- renew your vows or get married for FREE with our FREE Wedding package! For families- the ultimate all-inclusive Family Emotion program with over 10 included extras customized just for your family! High-end Residences, indulgent services…nothing compares! Marival Residences Luxury Resort® is a 4 Diamond Award winner. A World Apart in a Class by Itself! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Marival Residences Luxury Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marival Vallarta
- Marival Club
- Grand Marival Nuevo Vallarta
- Marival Nuevo Vallarta
- Grand Marival Mexico
- Nuevo Vallarta Marival
- Marival Grand Club Suites Nuevo Vallarta
- Marival Grand Hotel
- Marival Vacation Club
- Club Marival Mexico