“Lovely quiet resort”

Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
“Lovely quiet resort”
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here at the end of May for 7 fabulous nights. Our friends stayed in the room next door. I have mostly great things to say about the resort but a few criticisms as well that I hope you find helpful. This resort is not cheap so I have written an extensive review about our time here.
First impressions - this is a clean well staffed resort. It not big or opulent though so if you were expecting that you may be disappointed. We were taken to a bar for check in and given drinks. Being Australian we are not usually targeted for time share but as this chain has time share in Asia we were offered that in a roundabout way. They never use the word timeshare so I had agreed to go. Later on my husband cancelled it when we worked out what it was and I didn't hear about it again.

Room - initially I was disappointed to be on the ground level with no view but I needn't have been. The 'quiet' pool was literally at our back sliding door with sun loungers and no one else used these loungers. It felt like our own private pool. It is slightly elevated from the main pool so there was no noise and rarely did others even use this pool. There was an outdoor setting on our patio too. The room is huge with a full kitchen, dining and living. Two bathrooms were appreciated as my husband could use the further one without waking me. Laundry facilities were welcome after 5 weeks of travelling. I also loved the ceiling fan in the bedroom. It was quiet and if you hung out the do not disturb sign you could sleep as long as you like. The sliding door is heavy and blocks out all noise. The Tv was good quality with a variety of American program's. the toiletries were good quality and replenished daily. The bed is hard as a rock but as other reviewers stated you can get a topper which I didn't bother with. We were in room 123.

Good - staff were friendly and mostly efficient. Drinks are of a good quality. My husband drank black label scotch and the cocktails were really nice particularly at Insu and Brunellis wine bar. We did have a laugh at the Australian wines available as they are definitely not our best wines and I would hate to think they represented our wine. The wine I did have though was lovely ( from USA)
The pools were really nice and a good temperature. No trouble whatsoever getting sun loungers. No towel passes which was great. The all inclusive bracelet is lovely but unfortunately you can't keep it. Food was a little mixed. Great tapas at Insu, great dinners at Omaggio. Breakfast is a la carte if you wish so you don't have to get up and down all the time. There is also a small buffet. Lovely quiet music is piped around. No one on mega phones doing activities in the pool. We thought that was nice. Went to the beach area one day at the sister resort but it was nothing special and I wanted to get back to our resort as soon as possible. I live on the beach so I did not mind that this resort is not on the beach but it is worth noting if that's what you're after. Had multiple spa treatments and they were fine. Did rhythm of the nights tour. Not worth it in my opinion. Takes about 8 hrs. 1.5 hrs of dinner and a 45 min show and the rest is boat travel. I didn't see any reason to leave the resort so didn't do any other tours. The gym is fantastic and has full Pilates beds. Breakfast is until 1200 which I liked.

The not so good - these are fairly minor but worth mentioning. The service at the 'quiet' pool was a bit sporadic. If you find a waiter just tip him generously and ask him to come back every so often for drinks. No swim up bar anywhere. The breakfast wasn't fantastic in my opinion. No omelet station but they had a full a la carte menu with omelettte on there. The toaster! You have to do this yourself and honestly you still end up with warm bread after toasting for ages. I like toast for breakfast with peanut butter but this is not available. The breads were ok and some mornings there were no bagels. I was killing for normal toast by the time I left. They need to upgrade the toaster urgently. Plenty of options for those who like eggs. The lunch menu was a little underwhelming. One criticism I have is the lack of Mexican food. There is some but not a lot. There are no nachos with melted cheese for example but they do tortilla chips with guacamole. Dinner was fantastic at Omaggio although the dinner rolls are not good. Tapas are lovely at Insu and we spent many hours there. Tipping is expected I think and compulsory for room service. Your are forever being asked your room number. After every meal they send the cheque in a folder with a pen and you have to sign. This was irritating at an all inclusive. Especially when you were ready to go and you had to wait for the waiter to bring you a fake bill. The spa was a. It confusing. They say come early to enjoy the spa but leave you in a robe in a room. I think they mean you can use the spa after your treatment. The spa looked a bit clinical for my liking. You get there early and just sit around in a robe waiting for ages. Have had better spa treatments although the staff were really nice. I feel they are too expensive for what they are though. There are no Mexican accents in the spa rooms. The treatment beds are very comfortable.
The quiet pool is not monitored and some days there were kids making an awful racket. Seriously people there is a kids pool. Please go there. I would have liked the quiet pool to be adults only. There are not enough umbrellas in general at the pools but this wasn't a huge issue for us.
A major criticism is wifi. $15 per day per device is incredibly steep. At least have free wifi in the lobby area. Service was a bit slow at times particularly getting drinks at the main pool. There is no entertainment at nights but this didn't bother us as we were with friends. You can go next door and eat their food but I thought next door was awful. I hope it's cheap. No problems with our bill at the end or anything.

Overall a great resort with a few minor annoyances. A more varied menu would be nice. We loved our stay though although we still have fond memories of Riu where we stayed last time as they had heaps of Mexican food. I rate it 8 out of ten.

• Stayed May 2013
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Traveler
Thank you for posting such a comprehensive review of your vacation experience at our resort on this web site. We appreciate you sharing your views with us and other travelers, who will certainly find them insightful and thorough. We would love to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Marival Residences & World Spa is a lovely resort. The oversized rooms offered plenty of space including living area, kitchen and amazing balcony where we enjoyed sunsets, views of the pacific and tasty breakfasts. The attention to detail is noted in the accommodations and level of service. The food was high quality and fantastic. The Pina Colodas were the best I ever had. Their all-inclusive plan included golf and some great excursions along with all meals and drinks-it was a great value. We spent a lot of time at the beach club which is a short walk from the resort. We had wonderful time and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Traveler.
Thank you for posting a review of our resort on this web site. Our guests' opinion is highly valuable to us, as we constantly strive for excellence. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Burleson, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our stay at the Marival Residences & World Spa was the best vacation ever. We have never stayed at a more amazing place. The food was 5 Star, the staff like old friends, and the accomodations, better than anyplace we have ever stayed. No more Hawaii, we are returning to the Marival as soon as we can. My family and I loved everything about our stay, especially the staff. My thanks to Carlos, Mishele, Fernando, Patricia, Hector, Adrian, and everyone there that I met. It is truly a WORLD CLASS DESTINATION!!!
Go to the Insu for sunsets, and Tapas. They cannot be beat.
Can't wait to return, and tell everyone that I know, this is the place to go.
Thanks again, Treye P, Burleson, Tx.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MarivalResorts, Marketing & Social Media at Marival Residences Luxury Resort, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Traveler
Thank you for posting a review of our resort on this web site. Your comments are very important to us, and we are certain other travelers can benefit from them as well. We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Lake Stevens, Washington, United States
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This is an incredible place! Of all the resorts I've been to around the world, the experience at The Marival is close to (if not at) the top of my list. I WILL BE STAYING HERE AGAIN!

I can't say enough about everything we experienced! The food was exquisite; the service was beyond expectation; and the overall ambiance/atmosphere warm and inviting. From the moment we arrived, until we left 6 days later, we were pampered and catered to.

A special thanks MUST go to the chief concierge - Carlos. He showed genuine care for our needs, bent over backward to help us with our accommodations, and made sure everything was just right. Thank you EVERYONE for your wonderful hospitality! Truly a stay to remember!

Dan

Room Tip: The larger the room, the larger the balcony that overlooks the sea Consider higher up for a better...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Traveler.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your vacation experience at our resort. Your insights are quite valuable to us, and we believe they also benefit other travelers. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I'm with a vacationing club and this was the best resort I have ever been too! Right from the moment we arrived to the day we left we were treated amazingly. They have everything you could ask for. The food was delicious, the resort was beautiful, incredible service but the staff was probably the highlight of our trip. They went above and beyond for us. A friend of mine who was on the same trip told me a story that blew my mind. He had gone up to one of the bars and asked for a Dr. Pepper. They didn't have any so they offered him a Pepsi which was fine. But they asked if he really enjoyed Dr. Pepper and he told them that it was his favorite. The next day his fridge in his room was stocked with Dr. Pepper. They had made a special trip just for him. Talk about service!! We will definitely be coming back here again and again. I'm not sure if we could find a better resort, we might be ruined haha. Thank you for giving us memories that will truly last us a life time.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Traveler
We really appreciate you taking the time to post a review on this web site. We value your comments and we are rewarded by knowing that you fully enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you again in our resort in the near future.
Chicago
Reviewed May 25, 2013

This was our third time visiting the Marival Residences-- myself and my two kids ages 12 and 16. The resort was completely full while we were there. As expected, check in was smooth and we quickly got to our room and got settled in. The great thing about travelling without your husband is that you are completely immune from time share presentations so no worries there. We knew to request mattress pads right away and they were put on the beds with evening turn down service. There was a small problem with a shower head that did not work and they sent someone immediately when I called and it was fixed in five minutes. We spent the week mostly at the pool with some beach time. We had been Christmas week before but for some reason this just seemed more crowded. Still, it was relatively easy to always find chairs by the pool. The beach club seemed to be more of a challenge so on our beach days we made sure to get out there by 930 or so. Food was still consistently good - although service was strained at breakfast and dinner. We tried to just go with the flow and be understanding that they were dealing with an unusual volume. Christmas dinner though was a circus- it was supposed to be a five course meal and the staff at omaggio was totally overwhelmed. We must have fallen in a black hole because it took forever to get a first course and then the service team seemed to lose track of what course we were on and food would randomly come out and we would just take what they had even if it wasn't what we ordered. It was an excruciatingly long dinner and we tried to take it in good humor-- but in hindsight I would have avoided the special dinner and just go up to insu instead. By the way, Santa did visit the resort on his sleigh (which looked a lot like a golf cart) and made a grand entrance and handed out gifts to the smaller kids. It was a lot of fun to watch. Overall, it was a great week-- relaxing with good food. We went back to visit our friends the sea lions and that was fun although disappointing that they have cut back on the unlimited tours. We were only disappointed because we had been there twice before and experienced a higher level of service. We would still definitely go back-- but likely not Xmas week.

Room Tip: Try to get as high a floor as possible- preferably in the main building.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Traveler
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an extensive review of your vacation at our resort. Your comments are highly appreciated by our management and we are certain other travelers can benefit from them as well. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Snohomish county
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have traveled all over the world, have been on almost ever continent and this property was the best experience of my entire life.
The food was great, the service was top notch, the resort is very clean, the rooms are well appointed without making you feel like it's too nice to actually use and our group had an amazing time.
A small/big events that happened to us. We ate and I left a cash tip at the table and then inadvertently also left a tip on the receipt. The head waiter actually came and asked us if we had meant to "double tip". LOVE THAT kind of honesty and of course we gave it to him.
We will certainly be back as soon as we are able and before we had even finished our stay we put our heads and calendars together to see when we can return.
There was only ONE thing that was not up to our satisfaction on the whole trip- it wasn't long enough.
Thanks so much Marival Residence.

Room Tip: As far as I can see they are all great.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank marketingconsultant2
Dear Traveler
Thank you for posting a review of our resort on this web site. It is quite rewarding to read that you enjoyed your stay here. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.