We stayed here at the end of May for 7 fabulous nights. Our friends stayed in the room next door. I have mostly great things to say about the resort but a few criticisms as well that I hope you find helpful. This resort is not cheap so I have written an extensive review about our time here.
First impressions - this is a clean well staffed resort. It not big or opulent though so if you were expecting that you may be disappointed. We were taken to a bar for check in and given drinks. Being Australian we are not usually targeted for time share but as this chain has time share in Asia we were offered that in a roundabout way. They never use the word timeshare so I had agreed to go. Later on my husband cancelled it when we worked out what it was and I didn't hear about it again.
Room - initially I was disappointed to be on the ground level with no view but I needn't have been. The 'quiet' pool was literally at our back sliding door with sun loungers and no one else used these loungers. It felt like our own private pool. It is slightly elevated from the main pool so there was no noise and rarely did others even use this pool. There was an outdoor setting on our patio too. The room is huge with a full kitchen, dining and living. Two bathrooms were appreciated as my husband could use the further one without waking me. Laundry facilities were welcome after 5 weeks of travelling. I also loved the ceiling fan in the bedroom. It was quiet and if you hung out the do not disturb sign you could sleep as long as you like. The sliding door is heavy and blocks out all noise. The Tv was good quality with a variety of American program's. the toiletries were good quality and replenished daily. The bed is hard as a rock but as other reviewers stated you can get a topper which I didn't bother with. We were in room 123.
Good - staff were friendly and mostly efficient. Drinks are of a good quality. My husband drank black label scotch and the cocktails were really nice particularly at Insu and Brunellis wine bar. We did have a laugh at the Australian wines available as they are definitely not our best wines and I would hate to think they represented our wine. The wine I did have though was lovely ( from USA)
The pools were really nice and a good temperature. No trouble whatsoever getting sun loungers. No towel passes which was great. The all inclusive bracelet is lovely but unfortunately you can't keep it. Food was a little mixed. Great tapas at Insu, great dinners at Omaggio. Breakfast is a la carte if you wish so you don't have to get up and down all the time. There is also a small buffet. Lovely quiet music is piped around. No one on mega phones doing activities in the pool. We thought that was nice. Went to the beach area one day at the sister resort but it was nothing special and I wanted to get back to our resort as soon as possible. I live on the beach so I did not mind that this resort is not on the beach but it is worth noting if that's what you're after. Had multiple spa treatments and they were fine. Did rhythm of the nights tour. Not worth it in my opinion. Takes about 8 hrs. 1.5 hrs of dinner and a 45 min show and the rest is boat travel. I didn't see any reason to leave the resort so didn't do any other tours. The gym is fantastic and has full Pilates beds. Breakfast is until 1200 which I liked.
The not so good - these are fairly minor but worth mentioning. The service at the 'quiet' pool was a bit sporadic. If you find a waiter just tip him generously and ask him to come back every so often for drinks. No swim up bar anywhere. The breakfast wasn't fantastic in my opinion. No omelet station but they had a full a la carte menu with omelettte on there. The toaster! You have to do this yourself and honestly you still end up with warm bread after toasting for ages. I like toast for breakfast with peanut butter but this is not available. The breads were ok and some mornings there were no bagels. I was killing for normal toast by the time I left. They need to upgrade the toaster urgently. Plenty of options for those who like eggs. The lunch menu was a little underwhelming. One criticism I have is the lack of Mexican food. There is some but not a lot. There are no nachos with melted cheese for example but they do tortilla chips with guacamole. Dinner was fantastic at Omaggio although the dinner rolls are not good. Tapas are lovely at Insu and we spent many hours there. Tipping is expected I think and compulsory for room service. Your are forever being asked your room number. After every meal they send the cheque in a folder with a pen and you have to sign. This was irritating at an all inclusive. Especially when you were ready to go and you had to wait for the waiter to bring you a fake bill. The spa was a. It confusing. They say come early to enjoy the spa but leave you in a robe in a room. I think they mean you can use the spa after your treatment. The spa looked a bit clinical for my liking. You get there early and just sit around in a robe waiting for ages. Have had better spa treatments although the staff were really nice. I feel they are too expensive for what they are though. There are no Mexican accents in the spa rooms. The treatment beds are very comfortable.
The quiet pool is not monitored and some days there were kids making an awful racket. Seriously people there is a kids pool. Please go there. I would have liked the quiet pool to be adults only. There are not enough umbrellas in general at the pools but this wasn't a huge issue for us.
A major criticism is wifi. $15 per day per device is incredibly steep. At least have free wifi in the lobby area. Service was a bit slow at times particularly getting drinks at the main pool. There is no entertainment at nights but this didn't bother us as we were with friends. You can go next door and eat their food but I thought next door was awful. I hope it's cheap. No problems with our bill at the end or anything.
Overall a great resort with a few minor annoyances. A more varied menu would be nice. We loved our stay though although we still have fond memories of Riu where we stayed last time as they had heaps of Mexican food. I rate it 8 out of ten.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Something Different, Something Better! Beyond rooms or suites… the only luxury all-inclusive resort featuring modern Residences and Villas- so spacious from 1400 to 3940 sq ft! TripAdvisor Awards in Best Luxury, Best Family and Excellence. Award winning chefs offer a la carte international gourmet dining. Guests enjoy free tours, unlimited golf, VIP full service beach club and 5 star service, plus exchange privileges at sister hotel Marival Resort and Suites. Experience Melange World Spa with unique treatment rooms from 9 countries around the world. Special Kids and Teens programs too. Spacious all-inclusive Residences for couples and families are in the perfect locations. Demi-Pool Residences feature a “walk out” full service garden patio and secluded infinity pool. Ocean View Residences surround you with breathtaking views of the Pacific from sunrise to sunset. Rooftop Penthouses have private rooftop plunge pool and sundeck. For couples- renew your vows or get married for FREE with our FREE Wedding package! For families- the ultimate all-inclusive Family Emotion program with over 10 included extras customized just for your family! High-end Residences, indulgent services…nothing compares! Marival Residences Luxury Resort® is a 4 Diamond Award winner. A World Apart in a Class by Itself! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, BookIt.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Marival Residences Luxury Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marival Vallarta
- Marival Club
- Grand Marival Nuevo Vallarta
- Marival Nuevo Vallarta
- Grand Marival Mexico
- Nuevo Vallarta Marival
- Marival Grand Club Suites Nuevo Vallarta
- Marival Grand Hotel
- Marival Vacation Club
- Club Marival Mexico